♨ OT, what is this symbol?

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I think it is a cow pat
apperently unicode because it works on my limited Android browser
in fact I got it from an Android friendly character map app.
not on the Wikipedia unicode list and Google search gets no results
but maybe now it will since I posted it on the forum.
could prove handy for re- finding stuff!
♨♨♨♨

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Well, at least it looks like we found Sockratease's Millennium Cow... :)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,687
    edited December 1969

hmmm is there a way to get it bigger than this ?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797
    edited December 1969

well there is a pig face ㅹoink! but no moo!ツ囧
    since we cannot do sigline images, I have been exploring my options!
    Sockratease is welcome to the ♨

• edited December 1969

Is ♗a bishop or a lightbulb? I can't quite make it out...

edited May 2012

yeah, that is a bishop
    got all the chess pieces
    ♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟
    the cards
    ♤♡♢♧♠♥♦♣
    die faces
    ⚀⚁⚂⚃⚄⚅
    and more
    シッツ
    ☆★○●◎◯◐◑⊕⊗⊙◇◆ ◈◊◀◁▼
    ▽▲△▩▨▧▦▥▤▣■ □▷▶◢◣◤◥※♨♯
    ♭♪♬✓✔✕✖✘✧
    add them to the smileys in your siglines and create an image like dire bunny did with punctuation!!!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • adzanadzan Posts: 268
    edited May 2012

♨ = is a symbol for hot:blank:

Post edited by adzan on
  • xantorxantor Posts: 27
    edited December 1969

How do you type these symbols?

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited May 2012

xantor said:
    How do you type these symbols?

Only The Millennium Cow knows!

And a few others...

Post edited by Sockratease on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,687
    edited December 1969

Here is what the mystery symbol looks like in word and at a real big font size

mysterysymbol.jpg
    221 x 225 - 13K
  • JackFosterJackFoster Posts: 143
    edited December 1969

I've seen that symbol before in anime. It's a symbol for a hot springs, or onsen in Japanese.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

Stinky-Poo

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

yeah, that is a bishop
    got all the chess pieces
    ♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟
    the cards
    ♤♡♢♧♠♥♦♣
    die faces
    ⚀⚁⚂⚃⚄⚅
    and more
    シッツ
    ☆★○●◎◯◐◑⊕⊗⊙◇◆ ◈◊◀◁▼
    ▽▲△▩▨▧▦▥▤▣■ □▷▶◢◣◤◥※♨♯
    ♭♪♬✓✔✕✖✘✧
    add them to the smileys in your siglines and create an image like dire bunny did with punctuation!!!

yayyyy now we can play chess

• SuzuranSuzuran Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The symbol means hot spring (= onsen) in Japan. It also means public bathhouse. But I expect natural hot spring rather than the bath with artificially boiled water. :)

edited December 1969

sounds much cleaner than steaming cow pats!! :lol:

• VoltisArtVoltisArt Posts: 212
    edited December 1969

I was curious, so despite the answer coming from a couple of nice people above, I went digging too. Unfortunately that page and Google seem to be unable to recognize the character itself in a search string. Would be nice if you could just copy & paste for a search. Windows Character Map also got me nowhere. Searching on Google for "hot springs," however, does pull up plenty of pics.

unicodinator.com confirms that Unicode character 2668, ♨, is indeed called Hot Springs. Gotta scroll way down a third of the VERY long page to the Miscellaneous Symbols section...or as I just found out, type 2668 (once you know it) into the search box, but it's there. The others that came up above are likely in the same area.

Unicode is massive. The list of characters supported in the system goes up to hexidecimal FFFFFF, or 16777215 in decimal. 16.7 million characters...kinda scary. I remember the Windows 3.1 / DOS days, when only 256 characters* were available...quite a change.

Still browsing...also found this one: wikipedia.org/wiki/Miscellaneous_Symbols (Was only a link on their unicode page, so I skimmed past it at first glance when browsing earlier.)

* - That "character" list included machine controls for printers and the like, including enter, delete, carriage return, etc. This is really taking me back...anybody here ever use a non-electric typewriter? >D

• edited December 1969

Where did you find the symbol was it somewhere else than here? because I don't see it in our list of options for posting.
    Yes as a matter of fact I have used a non-electric type writer which I find odd considering I'm only 19,lol XD
    Extremely frustrating sometimes it was it's a good thing I was excellent speller,I managed to get the job done for what I needed it for now I have no idea where it is@.@

• XP PointblankXP Pointblank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Steaming cow pats?? ಠ_ಠ

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,166
    edited December 1969

Well, at least it looks like we found Sockratease's Millennium Cow... :)

No, but it's a clue that it has passed this way.

• WizzardWizzard Posts: 36
    edited December 1969

Looks like the symbol for Java/Javascript.
    representing the steam coming off a cup of..... you got it... Java.

Cheers

edited December 1969

SGeisha said:
    Where did you find the symbol was it somewhere else than here? because I don't see it in our list of options for posting.
    Yes as a matter of fact I have used a non-electric type writer which I find odd considering I'm only 19,lol XD
    Extremely frustrating sometimes it was it's a good thing I was excellent speller,I managed to get the job done for what I needed it for now I have no idea where it is@.@

it is just a unicode character
    that is one that displays in any browser
    all those symbols I posted on the other page are unicode, you could copy and paste them into your text and they display on any foum, email, youtube comment, facebook status etc!
    I often post characters on facebook as my status! ☺☼
  • ScytharScythar Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

Could it be the logo for Javascript or Java?
    Looks like coffee burning r something...

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:
    I was curious, so despite the answer coming from a couple of nice people above, I went digging too. Unfortunately that page and Google seem to be unable to recognize the character itself in a search string. Would be nice if you could just copy & paste for a search. Windows Character Map also got me nowhere. Searching on Google for "hot springs," however, does pull up plenty of pics.

. . .

* - That "character" list included machine controls for printers and the like, including enter, delete, carriage return, etc. This is really taking me back...anybody here ever use a non-electric typewriter? >D

I didn't even see an electric typewriter until my senior year of high school (1960) when we got a total of 2 electrics in our school. I still have a couple of the old uprights hanging around in the den, an Underwood and a Remington I believe. They still work. Remember the IBM Selectrics with the interchangeable balls?

atticanne1.jpg
    100 x 100 - 11K
  • SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

VoltisArt said:

Yo.

I really don't miss them, though. I hated the feeling of getting my finger slipped inside, right between the keys -- I was 9 or 10 when I got it -- and pulling the finger free was always a pain and half.