Point Light help in scene

SenaReSenaRe Posts: 39
edited September 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello!

I'm doing a night scene and have the lighting for that taken care of. However I have 6 candles in the scene that I would like to give off light. I think I'd be using point light with this and would change the colour to give off a warm glow. However I seem to be screwing something up as when I put it around the flames on the candles it makes the flames black. I'm guessing putting the light on the flames doesn't work any idea of the best way to make my candles glow?

EDIT: I found this on the old forums: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=39007 but the links no longer work.

Post edited by SenaRe on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you put the light inside the mesh you will get the Black thing as you noticed. You will get a much better effect with a cluster of lights around your light source. You can then use lower settings on the lights that do not matter and still get a great render. This is easier to do than it sounds, use a blank scene with the candle object to set up the lights then delete all but the lights after you group them to a null. Save the set as a Scene file, then just merge as many sets as you need and place them into your working scene.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

What a lot of people do is set the Ambient colour to white and Ambient strength to 100% for the flame material, then position the light just above the flames. If the flames are a separate prop or body part you can also turn off their cast Shadows setting, set the ambient as before, and put the light in the middle of the flame. Note that regular point lights taper off very quickly, especially with the default gamma setting, for candles I usually use a Linear Point Light and adjust the start and end distances to fill the area I'm interested in.

• SenaReSenaRe Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Thank you both! I'll give both of these a try and will share how it comes out. *G*

edited December 1969

Another problem but running in the same lines. I have the lights set up the same on all six candles but only three candles are acknowledging the lights. The other three on the other side of the image act like there's nothing there.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

DS can only Preview 8 lights in the Viewport. They should still be in the rendered image. Do a spot render and test it.

edited December 1969

That's how I discovered that the lights weren't showing. I had everything the way it was suppose to be and started rendering and the lights didn't show up on the one side.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Are you certain you're using software rendering? What are your advanced render settings?

edited December 1969

I'm using software rendering and I keep my advanced render settings on default figuring since I don't really know anything about that at the moment that it would be best if I only adjust the size

edited December 1969

I'm so far behind on doing this *head desk* But I wanted to show you guys how the picture came out that you helped me with the lighting with. I have it posted in my daz account: http://senare.deviantart.com/gallery/32879462#/d5e3kup