Studio 4.5 consistently crash when rendering

2»

Comments

• GjSGjS Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...unless your hardware is 64 bit compatible, upgrading the OS will be moot. I thought I could so so on my notebook but the chipsets and MB on it are strictly 32 bit. Oh, one can mess with the BIOS but that is something I would not recommend for anyone but the most experienced, as it is easy to kill an MB with one wrong instruction.

Good call. Thanks for reminding us about possible compatibility issues when upgrading. There are so many things to considering in regards to upgrading.

In regards to avoiding render crashes I found a workaround the issue =

* Reduce file size without compromising quality - here's how;

(1) I reduce the scaling by half (Characters) and it worked perfectly. (2) I also reduce texture files. All this without reducing quality because it's all a matter of perspective ((size)) since I do not intend to do prints * my work is primarily for HD video * and that size requirement need only be; 1920x1080p in total thereby each texture need only be 512 x 512p.

Results;
    . Now I'm seeing very good results (no compromise in quality) and no crashes.

. For the exact same scene I managed to reduce total file size from 280,000 down to an easily manageable 80,000.

Point is; I don't need massive full-scale items and textures (4,000 x 4,000p) in my scenes as my work is intended for HD video format; 1920x1080p.

If you have Photoshop (or another such program) this can be used to reduce the texture file size to only 512p, then save as; .jpg with 'Max' highest setting. Saved to a new folder (thereby keep originals intact)! If need be; for close up shots the originals can be used.

I still have a lot of work to do with positioning of items and lighting before I can share my work.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,217
    edited December 1969

Scaling the figures down doesn't (or shouldn't) have any effect, but halving the textures reduces memory usage by a quarter so that's certainly worthwhile if it fits with your workflow - though DS does do that itself, in the "optimising images" stage, so it shouldn't in theory be a problem at rendertime (unless it's the optimisation stage that is causing the crash, of course)..

edited December 1969

Scaling the figures down doesn't (or shouldn't) have any effect, but halving the textures reduces memory usage by a quarter so that's certainly worthwhile if it fits with your workflow - though DS does do that itself, in the "optimising images" stage, so it shouldn't in theory be a problem at rendertime (unless it's the optimisation stage that is causing the crash, of course)..

Sorry, what I meant in regards to scaling down refers to the DS4 obj export options > Scale = 2,4402.5 %. If I was to use the recommended export scaling; 4.8805 (which is equivalent to the bridge for Genesis) this would import textures at the highest; 4,000x4,000 which is awesome for print but unnecessarily too big especially when using two or more Genesis figures in a complex scene, DS and Bryce will crash and this is regardless if I use the reduction of prop/ interior environment textures to a mere 512x512p that is why I also had to scale down Genesis.

I suppose I could reduce original skin textures and such down to a smaller file size using Photoshop (not done this yet) and also do this for the clothing?, not done that either. But it seems easier to use the above export/import workaround with the scale % reduced = it's quick n easier and it all works really well.

Here are the DS4 Export settings I used for Genesis;

. Select Custom (don't select any presets here)
    . Scale = 2,4402.5 % (which is half the recommended 4,8805)
    . Ignore invisible nodes (checked)
    . Use Bone Welds (checked)
    . Write UV Coordinates (checked)
    . Write Normals (checked)
    . Write Groups (checked)
    . Use Figure Names (checked)
    . Write Surfaces (checked)
    . Write Material Library (checked)
    . Collect Maps (checked)

All other settings are unchecked. And during the import process there are no issues with locating materials. And Genesis sits just a little about the ground plane in Bryce (not buried in it lol)!

All of those additional settings are suggested by; Rashad Carter (see other thread) he deserves acknowledgement (thanks) for this. All I've done is to reduce the scale % by about half.

I have issues with the Bridge to DS (that's another topic discussion) that is why I'm doing this as part of my Reduction of File Size Workaround.

Further explanation; In DS4, if I was to use the default Bryce export setting it will import at; 1000x1000p but that is a little too low a res for Genesis (and for any other figures for that matter). So what I've done is found a mid-way compromise to reduce without sacrificing so much at all on quality for my intended purpose; HD video 1920x1080p. This workaround along with reduction of props (textures) is the only solution I have found that works really well (other than upgrading the O/S and Ram)! Results; no more crashes and the quality is OK.

But this workaround has shifted my final render work from DS4 to Bryce7 but I suppose I could still use DS4 it's just that I've now become a little more acquainted with Bryce7 and got use to using this workflow.

I now have 2 of the exact same scene; the original being 280,000.kb (will crash my system) vs. the workaround; 80,000.kb which is a huge reduction in file size and it renders all 3 Genesis in a complex scene successfully. I plan to use Sony Vegas to bring all my scenes together in regards to music video production.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    edited December 1969

...I've been having similar issues as I am working in 32 bit as well. I have one scene that when loaded with the application (at idle - no rendering) is taking up over 600 MB. the silly thing is it includes only one Vicky, one Steph (+hair & clothing), a couple wall panels and the floor from Jack's Baroque Grandeur, Ness's Harpsichord, and a backdrop photo to have something that can be seen through the windows.

Don't have Photoshop but do have PSP. so yes, I can reduce texture size.

Could you post a pic or link to one of the final render so we can see just what this does to the quality?

edited September 2012

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I've been having similar issues as I am working in 32 bit as well. I have one scene that when loaded with the application (at idle - no rendering) is taking up over 600 MB. the silly thing is it includes only one Vicky, one Steph (+hair & clothing), a couple wall panels and the floor from Jack's Baroque Grandeur, Ness's Harpsichord, and a backdrop photo to have something that can be seen through the windows.

Don't have Photoshop but do have PSP. so yes, I can reduce texture size.

I had a look (in store) at the Baroque Grandeur and that carpet on the floor for example looks highly detailed so I'm guessing the textures are certainly very high quality = huge file size. If you can edit all those image maps (textures) to reduce the file size dramatically that should help but of course you have to weigh up the right amount of optimization without too much compromise to quality and remember NOT to overwrite the original textures.

Could you post a pic or link to one of the final render so we can see just what this does to the quality?

Would love to but my studio DAW is totally separate from my Internet setup and I don't ever network or exchange using whatever portable media file for security reasons. I know a friend who runs a network of DAW for his business and had an expensive firewall security setup but that did not save his network from a nasty virus that brought his business down to it's knees. Anyway... I will share my work in the near future, it's just that right now it's a bit of a hassle.

Do a quick test by following the above step-by-step and that way you can see more closely at the results. Simply load the figure and give it a try.

And also see how it goes by reducing those texture file sizes for the B/Grandeur. . Having such a massive file size is no doubt as you know putting a lot of stress on the PC. I would not be surprised if I loaded that B/G scene and hit the Ctrl+R (render) with high quality settings my XP/32 PC would probably start shaking, rattling, smoking and then erupt into a blazing inferno LOL!! (sorry - over exaggerated)!!

Post edited by GjS on
    edited December 1969

...well as I mentioned I am not using the entire set, just as few pieces as I can get away with in the viewport's aspect plane.

I can't believe these few items can add up to over 400MB. Crikey, I've had scenes with Stonemason sets take up less RAM.

I would also think that when Studio optimises everything before the start of the render process is is making the necessary adjustments to the texture files.

When I get home I'll play around with the texture sizes to see what works best.

• edited October 2012

I'm having the same issue. 32 bit 4g ram. I never had any issues prior to 4.0 which worked most of the time. 4.5 however crashes immediately with no errors given (no lights, no textures). I cannot get any renders out of it now.

[edit]
    OK. I went in and hit restore default render settings and actually got a render done. I don't know why it worked as I never changed anything to begin with???

Post edited by sgtc68_0af55accc9 on
    edited December 1969

...interesting. When I create a new scene in 4.5, I have little if any issues with texture mapping or rendering. As a matter of fact, rendering in 4.5 is extremely fast compared to 3Advanced.

Where I experience issues is in the setup phase as but that is because my system barely meets the minimum OpenGL requirement and there are no further updates for it's chipset.

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited October 2012

I’m experiencing the same problem again with this update here is what I posted before:

DAZ Studio 4.5(the newest update also)
    stumpc - 20 September 2012 08:57 AM
    After loadiing up DS 4.5 and rendering an old scene I think I found a bug in the Open GL GLSL render setting( stage 3 on the render slider). The program crashes and needs to be restarted. I’m running :

Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+, 2600 Mhz
    Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
    Display Driver 3.06.23.

And I get this error and crash:

WARNING: interface\dialogs\dzbasicdialog.cpp(164): No parent specified for DzBasicDialog!
    Rendering in OpenGL…
    Compile failed on OpenGL Default Material Shaders, rendering without GLSL.

I tried it with DS 4.0.3.47 and did not have any problems. As far as I can tell I’m up to date on display drivers so it may be a bug. I haven’t read through all of this thread so bear with me but I’m wondering if there are others with the same problem or if they are working on it.

Thank’s in advance my friends.

Addendum:

I also get this in the crash Message:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module “C:\Windows\system32\nvoglv32.dll” at 0023:63B27DF4

The nvogl32.dll is an Nvida module so something needs to be addressed there, I also loaded and tried Firery Scene 2 and got the same crash. I reset the 3D setting for DS 4.5 in the Nvidia control panel and it still crashes. After reading threads I saw where some shaders may be a problem which is why I loaded the new ready to render scene and am still having problems.

It seems to be still conflicting with the NVidia Open GL driver, If you can please report this to the bug tracker.

I have posted this several times in different threads and can't get this problem solved, I hate to say that I would be happy that others have this problem but maybe now they will address it and not ignore it.

Post edited by stump3point1 on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module “C:\Windows\system32\nvoglv32.dll” at 0023:63B27DF4

The nvogl32.dll is an Nvida module so something needs to be addressed there, I also loaded and tried Firery Scene 2 and got the same crash. I reset the 3D setting for DS 4.5 in the Nvidia control panel and it still crashes. After reading threads I saw where some shaders may be a problem which is why I loaded the new ready to render scene and am still having problems.

It seems to be still conflicting with the NVidia Open GL driver, If you can please report this to the bug tracker.

I have posted this several times in different threads and can’t get this problem solved, I hate to say that I would be happy that others have this problem but maybe now they will address it and not ignore it.

There are countless pages of errors generated by nvoglv32.dll on the web. Have you looked at any of them?

To make a bug report, go to https://bugs.daz3d.com, you will have to create a new username and password for this site, as your forum ID wont work. The only way to get a bug looked at is to report it. DAZ employees do not have the time to read through forum posts I'm afraid.

I am sorry that you are haveing so many problems.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

stumpc said:
    Addendum:

I have posted this several times in different threads and can't get this problem solved, I hate to say that I would be happy that others have this problem but maybe now they will address it and not ignore it.

The latest Nvidia driver is 306.23. Get it directly from Nvidia...not your video card manufacturer and most definitely NOT through Windows update.

Your issue is, almost without a doubt, 100% a Windows driver problem...not a DS problem.

• stump3point1stump3point1 Posts: 139
    edited October 2012

mjc1016 said:

The latest Nvidia driver is 306.23. Get it directly from Nvidia...not your video card manufacturer and most definitely NOT through Windows update.

Your issue is, almost without a doubt, 100% a Windows driver problem...not a DS problem.

Okay I did it your way with the latest Nvidia driver 306.97 and this is what i got:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Windows\system32\nvoglv32.dll" at 0023:5FC089C4

Registers:

EAX=2AA63494 EBX=191B0020 ECX=262DFF28 EDX=00365C80
    ESI=16E94C40 EDI=0AD10020 FLG=00010202
    EBP=021ACED4 ESP=021ACED4 EIP=5FC089C4
    CS=0023 DS=002B SS=002B ES=002B FS=0053 GS=002B

Still the same crash'

Not to seem obnoxious but what qualifies this blanket statement?:

It worked in the previous version with no problem at all so why would it be a driver problem?

It is obvious by the above crash message that this is a .net framework call to this .dll module that is causing the Program to crash, it has been reported with the answer being that it cannot be recreated although I still have the problem and others here have said there is a problem, I was simply requesting others to do same and report it.

It is frustrating and it's really the only problem so far so I'm not disappointed however it does need to be addressed. I thank you for your suggestions and you do help a lot here but let's please refrain from placing blame to the OS or drivers when those issues
    were settled when I first encountered this problem and hopefully they can get this figured out.

Thank you for your reply.

Post edited by stump3point1 on
  • 2Fatbear2Fatbear Posts: 49
    edited December 1969

For me the crash is in rendering. I can make a first render, whenever I try a second render, 4.5 crashes without warning.

My way to solve the issue was to get Reality 2. Its an amazing render and no trouble anymore (except how eager for memory Reality 2 is (: My 4gb system isnt enough for it for a big margin).

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Just in case anyone else reads this, and thinks Relaity is a render engine, it is not. It is a plugin for DAZ Studio which allows the Luxrender engine to be used for DAZ Studio Scenes.

• RedHeadLilithRedHeadLilith Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

To make a bug report, go to https://bugs.daz3d.com, you will have to create a new username and password for this site, as your forum ID wont work. The only way to get a bug looked at is to report it. DAZ employees do not have the time to read through forum posts I'm afraid.

Thank you JimmyC this is new to me looks like I can learn allot there on how to solve problems in case i'll run to any for now all working ok crossing fingers :)

• 2Fatbear2Fatbear Posts: 49
    edited December 1969

Hi guys

Some days ago I took a very serious decision and uninstalled DAZ 4.5. No, nothing dramatic in there, I just wanted to reinstall from zero (:

The thing is, with a clear install, nothing added, DAZ 4.5 renders perfectly without crashes. That made me think the problem is something I had installed (huge problem, I had 45gb of content installed!). So I proceded to install items, no more than five on the first time, and tried rendering. Again the same crash on the second render just like I had before!!! And again with Reality/Lux there were no problems.

I had installed only Victoria 5, Stephanie 5, NautiCallie, Wicked Fevah (and textures) and XT World core/lush. (I decided to install only Genesis items to avoid cross issues).

I then thought the most probable cause of any issue would be XT World, and uninstalled it. And DAZ started to render again without problems!! So, at least in my case, XT World was the culprit. Or one of them. Its a shame, I like that thing, got all variations. Sad I cant use until it gets a new version.

Now I'm installing omnifreaker Uber Shaders and so far all is working properly.

{}s