The Return of the Son of the Complaint Thread

Comments

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Okay, is it wrong that now I want a Roomba shaped like a Dalek?

Heck, no! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE DIRT!

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    Wow, C4D Prime is less than US$1000 and it has a basic particle system! I'm grabbing the demo now, I'll activate it this weekend and check it out. 42 days is plenty of time to figure out if I like it or not. :coolsmile:

I thought I pointed that out at one point :(
    The Demo actually is infinite - only the "activated" version which allows saving and exporting and lifts render resolution limits is restricted to 42 days.
    And if the basic particle system is not enough, there is a plugin called X-Particles which is a bit more advanced but not as confusing as Thinking Particles (I don't know if it runs on Prime, which plugins like Catastrophe don't, but it might. I'ts not as expensive as DPIT.)

Eh, I forgotted. :red: :down:

I'll check into X-Particles, thanks! And I've looked at NitroBlast and Catastrophe, it might be worthwhile to go ahead and cough up for
    Broadcast if I want to go that route.. or upgrade later (I assume I can upgrade)...

I think what I'll do is play with the unactivated version for a while if I like it I'll start saving up money and activate the thing, I can scrape up the cash before the activation on the demo dies. Besides, I'll want to install the Real Thing on my new computer and it's going to be about 3 more weeks before I have all the parts (argh).

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,702
    edited December 1969

I feel like a failure.

edited December 1969

I had a dream that I was in some virtual reality thing. I felt out of place. It just felt wrong. When ever I said the word dalek some little thing came out of no where and did something to me. I tried avoiding it by saying darek but the same thing happened.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

I feel like a failure.

I know that feeling rather well. Depression is a good liar, and it takes energy to fight it away.

You should have some pancakes. Because my line of thinking goes "Then I'm a failure with pancakes! Beat that!"

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    I feel like a failure.

I know that feeling rather well. Depression is a good liar, and it takes energy to fight it away.

You should have some pancakes. Because my line of thinking goes "Then I'm a failure with pancakes! Beat that!"

I do need something to eat.

I do know I suffer from depression. I am taking fluoxetine and sometimes it helps but not aways.

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,391
    edited December 1969

There's a number of cool plugins for Cinema, but not all are worth looking into. "Add the Sea" appears to be pretty cool, giving Cinema Realflow like abilities, but it's terribly documented and supported - especially in English. Most folks recommend DPIT for that sort of thing. Stormtracer is "iffy". It's a lot like X-Particles in some ways, and is similar to Thinking Particles in others, but again documentation is questionable.
    One thing I find (Saddening?) about most plugins, especially render engines like Vray, is that their documentation is almost Carrara-like when compared to Cinema's built-in documentation. Right click on any field, dial, knob, or whatever and you can access it's respective page in the manual. Often I have to remind myself when using other plugins that add extra content to Cinema is that I can't do the Right-Click to access the Help manual, and end up having to go online to their website to find out what it does - sometimes they don't even document that function, and so I'm left to trial and error. Cinema doesn't - or rarely - have that shortcoming, and very rarely is anything left out in the manual. Sure some things are explained better than others, but it's all there.
    Broadcast will include the all-powerful MoGraph module which you'd have endless hours of fun playing with, and yes you can upgrade from Prime to Broadcast/Visualize or even straight to Studio. I upgraded from 11 Prime to 12 Visualize at a discount for owning a previous version, and then upgraded from 12V to 13V again at a discount (This isn't Autodesk - you do get discounts on upgrading.)
    Also you do get a slight discount for owning Carrara Pro, fyi, but the discount isn't as big as upgrading from one version to another.
    I'd imagine you would like Cinema, if even just as another tool in your toolbox, but I can't say where it's strongest aspects lies right now. Currently it seems focused on Dynamics and Character Animation, and while as a modeler it isn't any Modo, it is a lot stronger than Hexagon and it's tools can get things done real fast. Body Paint on the other hand, is terribly outdated. It's UV tools are horrible and it doesn't support symmetrical painting on meshes. Because each release seems to focus on another aspect of the program (11 was on lighting and rendering, 12 was on Dynamics, and 13 on character animation), the next big release might favor BodyPaint finally.
    Oh and if you do order 13 it comes with a pair of 3D glasses to test your stereoscopic renders :3

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    There's a number of cool plugins for Cinema, but not all are worth looking into. "Add the Sea" appears to be pretty cool, giving Cinema Realflow like abilities, but it's terribly documented and supported - especially in English. Most folks recommend DPIT for that sort of thing. Stormtracer is "iffy". It's a lot like X-Particles in some ways, and is similar to Thinking Particles in others, but again documentation is questionable.
    One thing I find (Saddening?) about most plugins, especially render engines like Vray, is that their documentation is almost Carrara-like when compared to Cinema's built-in documentation. Right click on any field, dial, knob, or whatever and you can access it's respective page in the manual. Often I have to remind myself when using other plugins that add extra content to Cinema is that I can't do the Right-Click to access the Help manual, and end up having to go online to their website to find out what it does - sometimes they don't even document that function, and so I'm left to trial and error. Cinema doesn't - or rarely - have that shortcoming, and very rarely is anything left out in the manual. Sure some things are explained better than others, but it's all there.
    Broadcast will include the all-powerful MoGraph module which you'd have endless hours of fun playing with, and yes you can upgrade from Prime to Broadcast/Visualize or even straight to Studio. I upgraded from 11 Prime to 12 Visualize at a discount for owning a previous version, and then upgraded from 12V to 13V again at a discount (This isn't Autodesk - you do get discounts on upgrading.)
    Also you do get a slight discount for owning Carrara Pro, fyi, but the discount isn't as big as upgrading from one version to another.
    I'd imagine you would like Cinema, if even just as another tool in your toolbox, but I can't say where it's strongest aspects lies right now. Currently it seems focused on Dynamics and Character Animation, and while as a modeler it isn't any Modo, it is a lot stronger than Hexagon and it's tools can get things done real fast. Body Paint on the other hand, is terribly outdated. It's UV tools are horrible and it doesn't support symmetrical painting on meshes. Because each release seems to focus on another aspect of the program (11 was on lighting and rendering, 12 was on Dynamics, and 13 on character animation), the next big release might favor BodyPaint finally.
    Oh and if you do order 13 it comes with a pair of 3D glasses to test your stereoscopic renders :3

Cool - thanks for all the info! If I like it I'll start with Prime, then move to Broadcast as I get used to it. I'm mainly interested in adding VFX to film and light animation duties, nothing too huge or fancy (for the foreseeable future, at least).

Fun times ahead! :-)

edited December 1969

From what I hear, Cinema's integration/trade (Or whatever people call it. I don't think it's intergration.) with After Effects is almost without equal - something MAXON is rumored to be trying to accomplish with FUSION in a future release, but C4D has had some years to get close to AE so that would take time.
    I don't think it'd take you long to at least learn the basics of it. I managed to learn the interface and a number of it's features on my first day - something that I NEVER managed to accomplish with Blender (1.x ~ 2.5+), Maya PLE, Lightwave, or Vue. Heck, I even abandoned Carrara early in favor of D|S2.0 for some time because I couldn't get used to it's interface, but Cinema just came naturally to me.

edited December 1969

I do need something to eat.

I do know I suffer from depression. I am taking fluoxetine and sometimes it helps but not aways.

I got Sertraline, which is a generic of Zoloft. And... *checks the pillbox by the computer* ...I have successfully taken it today.

FYI, if you (generic you) got a habit of munching grapefruit, please check that your medication is not on this list. I used to drink some grapefruit juice (Significant Otter likes the stuff), and then I stumbled upon that one by accident -- no one had told me that Sertraline is not compatible with grapefruit! >:(

edited December 1969

Micah just knocked off some of my medicine bottles from the table. For some reason he thinks the table is a great place to take a nap. I try to move him off the table, but he just gets back on and try again to take a nap.

• VilianVilian Posts: 281
    edited December 1969

The biggest complaint I've ever contributed to any of complaint thread incarnations... Two days ago my beloved guinea piggy, Pucek, passed away in my arms. We spent six years together and now she's gone - and even though there are still three other piggies left if feels so empty without her.

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    From what I hear, Cinema's integration/trade (Or whatever people call it. I don't think it's intergration.) with After Effects is almost without equal - something MAXON is rumored to be trying to accomplish with FUSION in a future release, but C4D has had some years to get close to AE so that would take time.
    I don't think it'd take you long to at least learn the basics of it. I managed to learn the interface and a number of it's features on my first day - something that I NEVER managed to accomplish with Blender (1.x ~ 2.5+), Maya PLE, Lightwave, or Vue. Heck, I even abandoned Carrara early in favor of D|S2.0 for some time because I couldn't get used to it's interface, but Cinema just came naturally to me.

I'm pretty much sold already (lol)! Just heard back from the X-Particles folks, it works in Prime, just with less functionality - the more that the version of C4D you're using has, the more you an do with it. To the top of the purchase list!

After Effects integration is cool, since AE is on my "buy before i die" list (heh).

Time to start saving! Hot dogs are on sale right now, so the timing is perfect (lol)!

And thanks for all the info, much appreciated! :-)

edited December 1969

Vilian said:
    The biggest complaint I've ever contributed to any of complaint thread incarnations... Two days ago my beloved guinea piggy, Pucek, passed away in my arms. We spent six years together and now she's gone - and even though there are still three other piggies left if feels so empty without her.

Oh damn, sorry to hear. {{{{{{ Vilian}}}}}}

edited December 1969

I cannot find any hot mits or hot pads and I need to put my pot pie in the oven.

edited December 1969

Vilian said:

Aw. :( So sorry to hear that. Cherish the memory of time shared together, and toast the Best Guinea Pig in the World.

edited December 1969

I found a hot pad and got the pot pie into the oven with a sweet potato. I already had the sweet potato in the oven on the cooking sheet so I had to find a way to get the cooking sheet out of the oven to put the pot pie on it.

I keep finding caps locks on and I think it is because of the feline traffic that happens over my notebook.

edited December 1969

I keep finding caps locks on and I think it is because of the feline traffic that happens over my notebook.

Cats are the best typists. ICanHasCheezburger site is a testimony to their aptitude.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,843
    edited December 1969

I'm very sorry to hear that, Vilian.

edited December 1969

Waah, I just fund THIS:

http://www.jawset.com/

Damnnnnnnnn! ME WANT NOW! :coolgrin:

I'll be eating hot dog and ramen for a year!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    @Wooly: Carrara's particles are as primitive as it's modeling tools, and (Last I heard as of version 7) buggy as heck. Stick to Lightwave if you want particles.
    @Misty: Speaking of TV Tropes, did you know they have several articles named after a Disney Villain named "David Xanatos"?
    "On TV Tropes, a wiki devoted to cataloging and defining various writing "tropes", the Xanatos Gambit was named for David Xanatos' signature style of turning any defeat into a victory. Before long, "Xanatos" became a standard modifier for pages relating to devious planning (i.e. "Xanatos Roulette" for a Gambit gone out of control, or "Xanatos Sucker" for the person being manipulated), culminating in a sub-section of such tropes being titled, "Xanatos Planned This Index". "
    The character: http://gargwiki.net/David_Xanatos
    The tropes article: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit
    *edit* Oh and there is "Xanatos Speed Chess" which originated from an episode where he and his wife were "playing a game of chess" that involved manipulating other people. Many millions of $$$ went into that game of chess.
    *edit edit* A brief summary of their "chess game" through the episode - a chess game that apparently lasted several weeks.:
    Xanatos and Fox are playing a game of chess throughout the episode, revealing a much more dangerous game is going on. Xanatos had Coyote lead the Pack in going after the gargoyles, while Fox produced a commercial tipping the trio off to the location of the Pack's hideout. The whole setup is put together so that Xanatos and Fox could choose sides and entertain themselves by controlling people's lives.

Gambits! that puts me in the mood for some FFXII tonight. :smile:

i'm up to the Salika Woods.

edited December 1969

Vilian said:

Oh damn, sorry to hear. {{{{{{ Vilian}}}}}}

They're so sweet tempered.

hugz

edited December 1969

HiYa, now i have wifi at home i can enjoy y'all companionship tonight. i hope someonez awake later :smile:

oops, gotta catch a bus

edited December 1969

Stuck here 45 minutes. It's in the mid-90s outside. It's close to 80 i my cube because I'm next to a HUGE window.

I'm buying a fan for the office this weekend! Argh!

edited December 1969

cant post much now - my cat is sleeping on my left hand...

edited December 1969

Stuck here 45 minutes. It's in the mid-90s outside. It's close to 80 i my cube because I'm next to a HUGE window.

I have a spiffy USB-powered fan. Keeps me cool(er) during summertime.

edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    cant post much now - my cat is sleeping on my left hand...

But I bet your hand is warm now! ;-)

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:

I have a spiffy USB-powered fan. Keeps me cool(er) during summertime.

I should try to find one of those, I do have one USB port on my office machine that isn't in use. :-P

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

I've never seen one of those. That would be handy

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I've never seen one of those. That would be handy

Hop to DealExtreme and search for USB fan. Mine cost like 10 bucks, and it has sturdy metal frame so it won't go to pieces like plastic fans tend to do.

This discussion has been closed.