Motion Blur setting. How do you use it?

JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've always done motion blur in postwork. I fiddled with the settings but think I need info to get any results. How do you set up a scene and render in motion blur now?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

You need actual motion in your scene, so you have to adjust the pose of whatever it is you want to blur - often that's just a question of opening the Timeline, setting a keyframe moving to the next frame and moving the item you wish to blur. Then turn on Motion Blur in render settings and render.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    edited December 1969

Richard, where can we look to find information like this about the new capabilities of 4.5. I've heard of things like Geometry Shell, but I have no idea what it is for or how to use it. I'd like to know about instancing, too.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I thought I replyed to this. Hmmm... Thanks for the info, that sounds pretty cool. I'll have to play with it some.

I'm with Barblut, where do we get the info on all the new features?

• joelegeckojoelegecko Posts: 64
    edited August 2012

As Richard said, you just need two keyframes. I just set a key on frame 1 and another on frame 5. That way, I've got a couple frames I can pick from to get the right motion.

Just grab the "thigh" and move it, and voila, you've got a quick and cool motion blurred kick for your football/soccer player :)

You will have to check the "Motion Blur" checkbox in the render settings of course. "Motion samples" is the value defining the quality of the blur ( quite similar to the "pixel samples" value when you're using depth of field ).
    Just know that a high value implies a higher motion blur computation. I strongly suggest to render your scene without the moving part, then re-render the moving part on a background image ( using your previous rendered image as a background maybe ).

Eliminating most transparency/reflection/refraction will speed the process up because the motion blur computation is done on the whole scene and not just the moving part. It will really affect your rendertime, even with a value as low as 16. It does look amazing anyway and it is a welcome feature. You can really get creative with it.

The "motion amount" value allows you to easily tweak the amount of motion blur. The amount of blur is caused by the movement between two frames. The higher the movement/translation/rotation, the stronger the blur. Lower values will lower the motion blur amout while higher values will accentuate it.

I've got an example but it is from an unreleased product promo so I can't show it :)

BTW, it is interesting to note object motion blur has been implemented but not camera blur. You can still emulate camera blur ( blur induced by the translation/rotation of the camera ) by grouping your whole scene and moving it...

Post edited by joelegecko on
    edited December 1969

Simulated camera blur by grouping the scene together and translating/rotating it. For those who don't know about it, DS 4.5 supports groups. Grouping is working like layers. By hiding your group, you're hiding ALL elements in your group which is very efficient.

mblur.jpg
    493 x 627 - 77K
    edited December 1969

Cool. Thanks for the mini tutorial. I can think of many uses for this now.

edited August 2012

The product has been released so I can post the image now :)

I just moved the "Right Shoulder" part to get some motion blur...

01_LycanHunter_MainPromo.jpg
    500 x 650 - 124K
    Post edited by joelegecko on
    edited December 1969

Nice. I think I'm going to like this. It will come in handy for some things running around in my head.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

I think I'm missing something really obvious about how to make this work. I keep getting these really tiny one-frame blurs, when I get anything at all.

Say I've got a timeline sequence of 30 frames of something like a person throwing a baseball. I set a keyframe at frame 20, hoping to capture the entire sweep of the arm between frames 1 and 20. Instead, I'm getting what looks like ONLY frame 20, with a teeny tiny bit of motion blur. What am I doing wrong? What's the entire set of steps I need to go through to get that big blur?

(Incidentally, another terribly basic question, I'm sure, but: is there any way to completely clear/unanimate a timeline?)

Any help will be much appreciated.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

If it moves from frame 0 to 20 and you render frame 20, you only get a little bit of the blur. Frame 10 (i.e. mid-way between start and finish) will have the highest amount of blur.
    To clear the timeline select bone on the scene tab, go to Parameters tab options (little triangle followed by lines on the top internal corner) and select Clear Animation and the relevant sub-option. This can now also be achieved by going to Edit menu->Object (or Figure, whichever is appropriate)->Clear Animation->Relevant sub-option.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

ReDave said:
    If it moves from frame 0 to 20 and you render frame 20, you only get a little bit of the blur. Frame 10 (i.e. mid-way between start and finish) will have the highest amount of blur.

OK, but in the example I was giving, I was rendering frame 20 of 30. I can see where, since that's near the end of the motion, it might have a bit less than I expected, but surely there should be a bit more than the tiny amount I'm getting. I'll try rendering frame 15 and see if that works any better.

To clear the timeline select bone on the scene tab, go to Parameters tab options (little triangle followed by lines on the top internal corner) and select Clear Animation and the relevant sub-option. This can now also be achieved by going to Edit menu->Object (or Figure, whichever is appropriate)->Clear Animation->Relevant sub-option.

Ah, OK. Thanks!

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

I tried the motion blur thing today, but it is happening inconsistently. What step am I doing incorrectly? Note I've never used animation, so I'm almost completely unfamiliar with the Timeline tab or animation, I'm just trying to get motion blur in a static render.

I tried a quick test with loading an object (a gear) into the scene. In the "Render Settings" pane > Advanced tab I checked "Motion Blur". In the Timeline tab I advanced the slider one notch. I rotated the gear. I rendered, it worked great. I then tried the same thing using an object within the scene I was working on, and got nothing. I then tried my test again on a cube, and got nothing. In fact, if I have the cube and the gear in the same scene and rotate both, when I move the slider back and forth between frame 1 and 2, I see the gear move, but the cube does not.

• TimingisEverythingTimingisEverything Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

I tried the motion blur thing today, but it is happening inconsistently. What step am I doing incorrectly? Note I've never used animation, so I'm almost completely unfamiliar with the Timeline tab or animation, I'm just trying to get motion blur in a static render.

I tried a quick test with loading an object (a gear) into the scene. In the "Render Settings" pane > Advanced tab I checked "Motion Blur". In the Timeline tab I advanced the slider one notch. I rotated the gear. I rendered, it worked great. I then tried the same thing using an object within the scene I was working on, and got nothing. I then tried my test again on a cube, and got nothing. In fact, if I have the cube and the gear in the same scene and rotate both, when I move the slider back and forth between frame 1 and 2, I see the gear move, but the cube does not.

I was kinda having the same problems,

Though I was able to activate the motion blur, not sure what I really did other adding more than 2 keyframes

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Hi,, Sean Risech,,
    I think you need to set key about all Rocation properties for both obj on both flame.
    when you load obj , you need to set key for all properties manually.

the ds timeline difficulity is,, when we move something it auto set key about obj (which you tweaked only)
    but the recorded property is which you used only.

It seems reasonable, but no no ^^;

On flame 20 , if you load obj, then use only x translation, ds do not set key about Y or Z translation and rotations value on current flame.
    but we can not see clear which value are recorded as key. only We can see there is key, so we believe
    it freeze current location of obj. but ds only record x translation and set key on the flame.

then next flame 21 you rotate X, it may set key too,
    but about other flames, you have no key for X rotate, (eg when you load obj on flame 20, DS do not make any key)
    the obj all rotate on anotherr flame too. so that the obj never rotate as animation.

to avoid this problem, when you load , rotate or translate on flames,
    you better select obj then manually record the key from ds time line tool (+ key mark)
    it record all properties as key , on current flame.

simple case,,(not use figure )

load two obj in your curernt scene flame 20 , I translate rotate them as I want.
    I usually select both then set key on 20 manually again.

then go to flame 25, I tweak X rotation of obj1. ds may set key for x rotaion, but I select obj,
    then record all properites of the obj1 , then go to flame 30
    I tweak Y translation of obj2. I select obj2. then set manually key for obj2,,,
    on flame 35 I hope to add new obj, I load it, then set key manually .

about each time when you change something,(just load something too)
    select obj then set key manually, It can freeze curernt value of all Location on current flame.
    so that obj can animation as we planed without problem.

edited December 1969

@kitakoredaz, thanks, I still can't get it to work where I need it, but I'm one step closer.
    In my test scene with the cube and the gear I used the "create key" icon in my second frame where the objects were rotated, and now both have motion blur as expected.
    However when I try something similar in my actual scene, even though I can see the difference between the two frames and have the Motion Blur render option checked, it still doesn't apply any motion blur when I render.

edited December 1969

Try this TUT and see if it helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GcJOcS26zY

edited December 1969

There seems to be some issue with motion blur and instances. I've reported it as a possible issue, although it may still turn out to just be something I'm doing wrong or something I simply can't do. In the end, my workaround was to load extra copies of the objects that weren't motion blurring, place them where the instances were, and delete the instances. The new objects motion blur fine.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

There seems to be some issue with motion blur and instances. I've reported it as a possible issue, although it may still turn out to just be something I'm doing wrong or something I simply can't do. In the end, my workaround was to load extra copies of the objects that weren't motion blurring, place them where the instances were, and delete the instances. The new objects motion blur fine.

That may not actually be a bug, but rather a shortfall of instancing...it probably depends on exactly when the calculations are occurring. Instances aren't 'real' geometry, but are calculated on the fly at render time...so if the blurring is calculated BEFORE the instance is, then it won't be blurred. But 'real' geometry will always be included in the blur calculations.

• millighostmillighost Posts: 261
    edited December 1969

Yep, clearly a bug. Instances are only blurred if the original object is motion blurred too, but otherwise each instance seems to get its own motion blur. So a workaround might be to put the original into a corner where it does not stand out and give it some keys.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Yep, clearly a bug. Instances are only blurred if the original object is motion blurred too, but otherwise each instance seems to get its own motion blur. So a workaround might be to put the original into a corner where it does not stand out and give it some keys.

Still not sure if it's a bug or an order of calculations thing...although submitting it would be one way of finding out.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Thank you . I could find the problem too.

I needed to set motion about base obj when hope to get motion blur for one of instances motion.
    then if I need no motion about obj, I may exchange obj positon to one of instances which I plan to animate.
    then move obj, but not move the exchanged instance. or use milghost way.

It can not be unpredictable, because each node isntances can be set keys for each individually.
    and get animation without base mesh move.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

This sounds like an intersting trick to try...but a question comes to mind I suspect I know the answer to..

I make a scene, set it as keyframe 1,  move something, set it as keyframe3, and frame 2 is what I want.

It's going to have to render all 3 frames, right? Can you say "just render frame 2".

(As I can have renders that take many many hours, I would see limited use in this if it needs to tripple the time.)

As far as I know you are rendering just one frame, unless it's secretly rendering the other frame and hiding it somewhere I didn't notice it.  It seems to render just like a normal render.  (I've never done animation.)

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

Ok..I just went ahead and gave it a try. Using the time line you can chose which frame to have on the screen, and then chose to render a single image (this frame).

It works pretty well.. Cool trick!

(I used two very different poses on the two keys so testing was easy :)

motion blur test.jpg
    556 x 663 - 46K
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Am I correct in thinking this is in 3delight? It would be great if it could be done in IRAY.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300

Motion and camera blur are features of Iray, but they have not (yet) been implemented in D|S. Speaking only for myself, as a user, for anyone who would like to see this feature added to D|S be sure to let Daz know, in the form of a support ticket. Apparently that's the best way to tell them of features you'd like to see. Something about the formality of the support ticket process.