Weird file issues

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Only on certain product, in this case, DMs Druid Valley, I try to load the .obj right from DS3 or from the base file, and DS tells me it can't find the .obj. I do a find, and it doesn't see the files, which I know are in the base file. But I don't see it during the DS find search.

What I am wondering ... When I download anything and install it, I move and organize the individual products in a way that I can easily find them, my own system. In most case, everything works fine. But today, a couple things I want are giving me that 'find' error, even after re-install and organize. Is it because I am moving the file after install?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Are you moving to a different Folder with a different name? If so then yes, the search works on the default paths.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Are you moving to a different Folder with a different name? If so then yes, the search works on the default paths.

If the name ever gets altered, I do it right in DS. And yes, it ends up in a different sub folder, but all of my 5000 other items work fine. I never more figures out of figures, though. Just into better organized sub-folder categories.

But even so, even if that were the case, I can't even get the DM Druid Valley files to load straight from their folder by clicking on the .obj file, which should open a new DS window. That's how I get 3DMax stuff to load, straight from their file location.

I just figure out why file file won't work. I can see the files. They just won't load.

• jmperjmper Posts: 257
    edited September 2012

The only time I have seen this (in Poser) is if the .CR2 is either written in absolute paths and not relative paths OR the path (absolute or not) is written wrong.

Edit>
    Relative = :Runtime:Geometries:Marforno:MedProm2:BigLight4f.obj
    Absolute = C:\Graphic Programs\e frontier\Poser 9\Runtime\Geometries\Marforno\MedProm2\BigLight4f.obj

A wrongly written path:
    Relative = :Runtime:Geometriess:Marforno:MedProm2:BigLight4f.obj

Or

:Runtime:Geometries:Marforno:MedProm2:BigLight4ff.obj

(as an example)

Post edited by jmper on
    edited December 1969

OK ... I tried resetting the product ... again. I downloaded, installed, and organized just as I did every other time & do with every other product. This time, it worked .... oy veh ... lol.

So far, though, it seems to only be occurring with Daz products. I have yet to have this happen with any of the other stuff. Maybe it's a 'new site' issue....

edited December 1969

jmper said:
    The only time I have seen this (in Poser) is if the .CR2 is either written in absolute paths and not relative paths OR the path (absolute or not) is written wrong.

Edit>
    Relative = :Runtime:Geometries:Marforno:MedProm2:BigLight4f.obj
    Absolute = C:\Graphic Programs\e frontier\Poser 9\Runtime\Geometries\Marforno\MedProm2\BigLight4f.obj

A wrongly written path:
    Relative = :Runtime:Geometriess:Marforno:MedProm2:BigLight4f.obj

Or

:Runtime:Geometries:Marforno:MedProm2:BigLight4ff.obj

(as an example)

jmpr, what happens, or rather, why does it happen, when I copy my entire file to my back-up hard drive then my back-up computer, do many files that open fine on my base computer not want to open on my second computer.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It could be the Paths are not Updating in the Items new path. Try loading the item at install and then load again after move. If your Content database is HUGE it can cause errors. DS3A did mention a top limit ONCE. I can not FIND that post again and I have tried MANY times.

I just hope the DS4 CMS will not do that. I've had DS3A Drop content folders AND create Ghost folders that are empty.

P.S. I collect content but from what I read my folders are not large yet.

Sorry, I'm no help am I? I'll fade now....

edited December 1969

lol ... it's ok ... lol

It would such if I do have a limit and need to start re-installing stuff just so it will work ... I hope that isn't the case.