Post Your Renders - #4: A New Hope

Comments

• bobhbobh Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Just doing something shiney whilst getting my head together and taking a short break from my animation. Free T-800 model from free3d.

Thanks for looking

Chris,

Awesome job!

If you'll forgive me, I recognize this as a 3DSMAX 9 model I have come across in the past. How did you get it into Carrara? Did you bring it in as the full rig? What file format? 3DS, FBX, OBJ,...?

I am trying to learn the rope sof bringing in 3DSMAX rigs like this into Carrara EXACTLY as you have done here. May I ask how you pulled it off?

I'd like to invite you to offer whatever you might have to offer to this thread that I just started:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6717/

And just out of curiosity, where's the rest of the full body rig that goes along with the head? :-)

Thanks!

Post edited by bobh on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

just a quickie / testing ideas :)

highlandof2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 50K
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Working with shadow buffers, trying to get as close to realism without heavy rendertime... The eyes are fixed by a shader cheat (I'll have to do similar with teeth and mouth)....

I was feeling too lazy to pant the inside of the nostrils, so I tried a negative light. :bug: which I never used before... And it is not what I expected..., or rather using it was like trying to pedal the the steampunk wombledybat zepplin backwards in high heels.... :ahhh: But neg-light effect when heavy was kind of nice and dramatic... Would be great for illustration...

... Just Shadow Buffers ... | ... neg-spotlight at 40% "brightness" ... | ... neg-pointlight at 100% "brightness" ...

Screen_Shot_2012-09-02_at_12.06_.22_AM_.png
    967 x 601 - 416K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2012

Maybe you could place negative lights in the nostrils and the mouth! ;-)

Are you trying to make a character that looks like somebody in real life? Kind of looks eerily like a character actor named Billy Drago.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0236711/bio

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Negs in the nostrils was what I'd intended to do... but the reality of doing that... Have you tried? Wasn't quite as easy as I thought.

edited December 1969

Haven't had a chance. Still using C7.2 Pro.

edited December 1969

LOL, I don't know why everyone is talking about C9... I still haven't gotten so far with 8, lol...

edited September 2012

I've been going cross-eyed playing around with the toon renderer and shaders included with Carrara. I found as many have that using the YaToon lighting model in the shaders works best with using a high ambient light and doesn't seem to work with scene lights. I didn't like the look much. I tend to like the toon look where there are more dramatic shadows. This image I used the toon effect in the scene settings and modified some shaders to achieve a flatter look to the skin. I also exaggerated the highlights and used the glare effect as well as some post work to get a DOF.

I'm also including a render without the toon effect.

I used a Jessica Rabbit morph and dress set for V3.

Jessica-Rabbit02.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 418K
    Jessica-Rabbit.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 378K
    Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

I LOVE the highlight you got on the dress from YaToon...
    but I agree that I never understood all the apparent(?) controls in Yatoon, some just don't seem to react with the lights at all...

With my own shadow problems I think I finally got two negative bulbs shoved up M3's nostrils... and set to the appropriate distance after 70+ test renders since the spot render tool is busted in the current C8.5 beta)... I can't tell if my main negative light is making everything look noisy or if it is just bringing out extreme details in my skin texture... Eitherway I like the way it looks (gritty, grainy) but I don't know if I can animate with that, it might just turn to noisey sparkle mush.... (click for bigger)

A "Negative Light" is simply a switch on the light panel that makes its rays subtract from the scene rather than add, so it's just a simple math function as far as the render is concerned, not a special magic tool that reduces light in a given area realistically - like a "sphere of influence".... Also the negative light needs to be the multiplier of all the lights it will hit, I think... A negative light needs to be at 200% "brightness" to cancel out 2 regular lights at 100% brightness....Now consider that a negative light can use shadow buffers, soft shadows, or not cast shadows, and it just gets weirder.... I'm not sure what I thought negative lights would be, but now that I'm using them I can see why they were never considered important enough in the past. They are somewhat awkward to use. and require a LOT of trial and error. Even just casting on a flat plane didn't give the results I expected... there are actually dark highights depending on the specularity of the shader....

Doc74.png
    1200 x 1200 - 1019K
    edited December 1969

Interesting info. about the negative lights. They do sound kind of awkward.

Regarding my toon image, I decided not tom use YaToon for the dress (or any of it really) because I wasn't getting any specular effect. I eventually dropped it as well from the skin and hair. Interestingly, I did get a better effect if I went with plain flat colors with the scene's toon effect. The gloves and hair for instance looked really nice. The skin seemed to work better without the YaToon lighting model in the shader as well. I just cranked up the highlight and shininess.

edited December 1969

So that's not actually YaToon, it's just regular shader tricks? Interesting...

edited December 1969

I'll try and post the settings I used for the toon effect later. Right now I'm setting up shading domains and shaders for a freebie Millenium Falcon Model I've had gathering cyber-dust for awhile.

• IlenaIlena Posts: 280
    edited December 1969

Just a sketch of a portrait in the works. How does it look like?

Ileyna_Amell_Hero_of_Ferelden_(5).jpg
    800 x 1131 - 404K
    edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

Looking good. You've got a good firelight/candlelight vibe going.

Here's a test render of the Millenium Falcon. Still working on the shaders and creating shading domains where needed.

Millenium-Falcon01.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
  • edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

Here's a test render of the Millenium Falcon. Still working on the shaders and creating shading domains where needed.

AWESOME!

I wish I had a Millenium Falcon.

Shawn.
    God bless.

edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

AWESOME!

Shawn.
    God bless.

Oops! I should clarify that it's not my model. I didn't make it. It was a freebie. Probably originally a LWO. It's a nice model, but whoever made it didn't really do much with the shading domains.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Christmas home page banner.

mailbox5xmas1adjust.jpg
    800 x 600 - 225K
    edited December 1969

Nice job on the lights on the little palm tree!

Here's one I did yesterday.

Morning-mist.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 848K
  • CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Thanks. Love your composition and lighting :)

• marius_ifmarius_if Posts: 48
    edited December 1969

Hi folks,
    Don't you miss Artzone?
    I wish I knew if. there is any chance to get Artzone back to community.
    Thanks,
    Marius.

• edited September 2012

Hi :-)

It's been a while since I last visited here, good to see things haven't really changed all that much.

Let's see if I can figure out how to post a render, nothing too special: (I hope it isn't too disturbing, lol.)

Doc1.png
    1024 x 1024 - 1M
    Post edited by K0daKumi_8e8836aac0 on
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:

It's been a while since I last visited here, good to see things haven't really changed all that much.

Let's see if I can figure out how to post a render, nothing too special: (I hope it isn't too disturbing, lol.)

Nicely done! Glad to see you're back.

FYI, the maximum image size is 2000x2000 pixels and is limited to several megabytes. So far I've uploaded .png and Jpegs. The PITA part is having to update your posts to upload more than one image per post. Makes posting screen shots and tutorials a bit awkward.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

Gee K, you gotta post a few more A3 renders to catch up to my post count!!! ;-P
    (but that is from trollin' not doin' art!) %-P

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
    edited December 1969

Harry always knew that he and Ralph had something in common. Not only were they born on the same day, in the same hospital and to the same parents, they both (later in life at least) shopped for their clothes at the same snappy Barnaby Street Shoppe.

But it wasn't till one Saturday afternoon in late August 1999 that Ralph, the younger but vainer of the two, accidently used too much vanishing cream on his wrinkles.

Tragically, when he realised his mistake, he only rubbed harder.

This, as you can see, not only made things worse, but it made things worser, worsest... and finally, worserest.

I kid you not.

Doc6cropped1.jpg
    1000 x 1303 - 187K
    Doc6cropped.jpg
    1000 x 1303 - 187K
    edited December 1969

Kind of creepy Headwax! I mean that in a good way though.

Here's one I did recently to offer a few suggestions in the New Users DOF contest. I'll post the color and sepia versions.

Dystopi-Dirigible-V4_1.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 813K
    Dystopi_Dirigible_DOF02_copy.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 860K
  • edited December 1969

Ilena52 said:

AWESOME!

Shawn.
    God bless.

Oops! I should clarify that it's not my model. I didn't make it. It was a freebie. Probably originally a LWO. It's a nice model, but whoever made it didn't really do much with the shading domains.

Still awesome to have it! I have some interior models for it, but no exterior.

Shawn.

God bless.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    edited December 1969

I know (a New Hope/Star wars/Han Solo) but
    is the Millenium falcon like the Millenium cat, the Millenium dog, Millenium woman, man and cow (oops not the last unfortunately for Sockratease)?
    does the LE version just sit on its handler's glove like a dead parrot?

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:

I'm in love yet again. She's gorgeous as usual.:-)

• de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Koukotsu said:

I like the way that you framed this image. And the eye reflections are great!

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    Harry always knew that he and Ralph had something in common. Not only were they born on the same day, in the same hospital and to the same parents, they both (later in life at least) shopped for their clothes at the same snappy Barnaby Street Shoppe.

But it wasn't till one Saturday afternoon in late August 1999 that Ralph, the younger but vainer of the two, accidently used too much vanishing cream on his wrinkles.

Tragically, when he realised his mistake, he only rubbed harder.

This, as you can see, not only made things worse, but it made things worser, worsest... and finally, worserest.

I kid you not.

Aye, there's the rub.

This discussion has been closed.