trying to be patient but ... what's with these slow downloads? unresolved - again!!!

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited September 2012 in The Commons

Would be nice if information could be had about the size of files "somewhere". At this speed it could take hours!

And yes I do tend to check with the ISP ... and yes IF there's a tree down there's a problem BUT the first download had a nice jumpstart and then 'poof' way down ... sometimes adding in more makes it go back up a bit ... but not this time. What's going on? And it's not just today here ... it's been this way for too long.

Aside from other glitches that have been occurring, this is one of the main reason I do little shopping at certain websites. I like SPEED.
Please fix.

Also, pardon the rant, "stop logging us out" - thank you.

edit: tops out at 135mb and 127mb ... hope it looks good with space pics!

Post edited by patience55 on

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

No problems here. Been good for me all morning.

Kendall

Screenshot-1_file_-_Downloads.png
    478 x 206 - 22K
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

It could be the unfortunate combination of this crappy website mixed with an unusually large amount of people trying to shop and enjoy the big sale.

Hope the speed picks up for you.

P.S. I agree, stop the logging out, it is worse than the old site, if that could be imagined.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The keep looging out issue. THe fix has been explained a couple of time Try this thrread for example http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6711/

Download times. I have said in several threads that, considering I live in the area with the 12th worst broadband speed in the UJ, I am getting good download speeds from the DAZ 3D site, consistently and always bettert than I get from other sites. On the rare occasion that my speed drops down a lot, I will check if it is indeed something my end, first be rebooting my browser, if that doesn't fix it I will reset my router.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

tsarist said:
    It could be the unfortunate combination of this crappy website mixed with an unusually large amount of people trying to shop and enjoy the big sale.

Hope the speed picks up for you.

P.S. I agree, stop the logging out, it is worse than the old site, if that could be imagined.

The combination didn't use to be a factor 'most of the time' on the old website.
    When I went to download D/S4.5 [soon after the real release was made] it downloaded at a very good speed BUT all the regular purchases didn't.

You know, aside from all the normal computer stuff that we all have to learn how to deal with -- this isn't covered. As a customer I expect to be able to place an order; and have it downloaded with the speed my system is set up for.

Oh and here's another gem ... this happens regularly when all I have open are a few tabs; sometimes just 1 page HERE at Daz3d.
    What in blazes is going on with the webpages?! There's NO way any webpage should 'weigh' THAT much. I'm not presently downloading anything; happens even if the cache is empty; normally happens only at Daz3d.com.

And thank you ahead of time Chohole, but no it is not a security situation at this end.

whatchaSendingOver.png
    751 x 377 - 91K
    edited September 2012

[this was supposed to be an edit on the first post]

Edit: oh this is not good. okay trying again with a download helper ... apparently the size of DesertlandsWorldBaseDS_1.1_ds.exe should be 58.90 not 20 mb. Sigh ...

Oh and I tried another browser and a different file ... was coming in at 7.something kb ...

edited September 2012

Came across some info ... apparently W7 64bit defaults with a 32 bit browser?!
    Anyway, Firefox now has a 64 bit browser called Waterfox! So far seems to be a decent browser ... ? effects for downloading although in browsing through the forums and experiencing an unexpected 'log out' moment ... hay! maybe somebody is working on improving the website?!

The above Scenery base is really neat. Am now downloading the snowpack to go with it. Nice 112ish mb x 2 files ... and, not for long, blink and miss it, actually saw a 3 digit kb number! yes :-) [using a FF plugin]

btw - thank you Daz3d for the PC prices this weekend :-)

edited December 1969

Thank you Daz3d :-) Don't know what change you made but it's been working MUCH better and I was finally able to get some of those updated files for D/S4.

Can see the light at the end of the tunnel ...

And the PC coupons are fixed, yes.

Think we still have the minor 'how can we pay the membership dues' issue but ... hopefully that will be resolved, hmmm ... well you know!

Cheers

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

I switched to Chrome and it seems my problems almost completely disappeared with downloads. Honestly. It was like night and day.

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    I switched to Chrome and it seems my problems almost completely disappeared with downloads. Honestly. It was like night and day.

That's nice. Over here Chrome was even slower. So was IE. Ultimately whatever was going on had nothing to do with the browser. Nothing to do with storms. Nothing to do with trees. Nothing to do with [____] 'K. The site was down partially or bit by bit recently for repairs and whatever was done appears to have fixed the problem I was having ... and quite possibly others as well. So it is good to also say thanks and let the owner who reads the board know something is now working much better ... and hopefully stays working better. ;-)

edited December 1969

Well that was short lived.

Loaded up the cart, went to the store to buy a new CC.

Downloaded a couple of items ... whoa man, who put on the brakes?!

Emptied cart ....

okay Mr. Fixit .... your turn again.