D|S to Bryce bridge working again!

Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

The newest version of D|S (4.5.0.49) fixed the bridge to Bryce on my Mac (OS10.6.8 of course). According to the Bugtracker it's also fixed on the PC.

Nice to get a confirmation on the PC as well...

Comments

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

The newest version of D|S (4.5.0.49) fixed the bridge to Bryce on my Mac (OS10.6.8 of course). According to the Bugtracker it's also fixed on the PC.

Nice to get a confirmation on the PC as well...

Cant really help here at all. I am still using the free DS 4. Not sure I want to upgrade to a new version unless it too is free. Apparently only one copy of DS 4 should be installed at one time. Too many of the plug ins are not updated for 4.5 plus I have no idea if 4.5 will be free. But I read there are several wonderful fixes and i wish to darned heck i could test them.

• dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

As I understand it those who "bought" Studio 4 PRO for free will also get the upgrades free. But it would be good to get a confirmation from those a bit behind the scenes on this.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I will check for you, as soon as someone else logs in.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,105
    edited December 1969

Anyone tried to reset the downloads? I haven't yet. Though I have 4 Pro, got even offered 4.5 betas, which had limited serials, got rid of them. I still prefer 3, have both options in Bryce 7.1 - Studio 3 32-bit and Studio 4 64-bit.

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

I haven't tried DS 4.5 - I don't really like having to uninstall my existing version for a beta version , considering also I need a stable version to make products. If I could use them side by side I'd certainly try it out.

• dyretdyret Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Reset gives the latest stable version.

edited December 1969

Now that 4.5 is out I am inclined to ask what are the Bridge improvements I should look forward to. Looking at the 4.5 changelog it seems there was only 1 fix made to the bridge in all of this time. The fix related to Bryce bridge crashing due to custom shaders. Other problems such as Genesis being locked into the base resolution are still not fixed for me. How are the experiences for other people?

• mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

I had crash problems with the Daz to Bryce bridge using elite characters... I am glad to say that for me the bridge seems to be fixed.... I tried to open my DS4 created characters into 4.5 and tried the bridge and it crashed just like before... I recreated those (DS4) characters in DS4.5 and bridged them into Bryce quite well... So it seems that the characters must be created in the 4.5 version for the bridge to work...I think...Fingers Crossed!!!
    Steve

edited December 1969

Well, the bridge always worked for me, at least as I used it. Bryce 5.5 with Studio 2.3, Bryce 6 and 7 with Studio 3, Bryce 7 with Studio 4 and 4.5. There are two different 4.5's: one you get by direct download from the Store page, the other can be put into the cart and downloaded from the available downloads page. Both are free but if you "buy" it, you find the serial in your account (available serial codes). I spent some time today to install 4.5. If it finds 4.0 installed, it says it will de-install 4.5 first ...

edited December 1969

Yes, they do say that you can't have both on the same system.

edited December 1969

Yes, I was rather frustrated when I had installed a 4.5 beta and the serial run out. I had to uninstall it and re-install 4.0. Luckily, pre-4 versions can coexist on the same machine. From Bryce, I have the option to start Studio 3 or 4.5.

edited August 2012

And yet still my colleagues in the Mod room, and even a certain Daz_Person keep telling me I really should try DS out. I am quite happy with my workflow from Poser, have been doing it that way for so long it is second nature to me.

After all I only bought Poser in the first place to use as an addone for Bryce. :roll: :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I hear you. I have struggled with Studio since a 0.9 version. I've never really got the hang of it. That's not a problem of Studio, mind you, it's only me.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    And yet still my colleagues in the Mod room, and even a certain Daz_Person keep telling me I really should try DS out. I am quite happy with my workflow from Poser, have been doing it that way for so long it is second nature to me.

After all I only bought Poser in the first place to use as an addone for Bryce. :roll: :coolsmirk:

There you go. If it ain't broke don't fix it, the only reason I use Studio at all really is to import into Bryce. If I just want to make a scene that doesn't involve Bryce I'm completely satisfied with Poser. Studio does seem to have some nice options if you buy the right addon's but it's all so different. So there is a sharp learning curve. Kind of like what it might be like if I suddenly had to switch to a MAC having only ever known a PC.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    I hear you. I have struggled with Studio since a 0.9 version. I've never really got the hang of it. That's not a problem of Studio, mind you, it's only me.

Not just you, lots of people are the same way, myself included. If Studio as far as it's interface behaved alot more like Poser I bet there would be less people frustrated by Studio. Which that is completely in control of the software designers. Now people that have only known Studio or learned Studio first, they probably have no problem with Studio or even excel in using it. So in the sense that some of the problem is driven by peoples experience levels you could say that is the fault of the individual. So I guess the fairest conclusion is it's actually both Studio's problem and individuals problem. Both could do more to reach a common ground.

edited December 1969

My son struggled with both Bryce and Poser, mocked me for all my "arty farty" programs, until browsing one day he found Daz Studio.

He has never looked back.

Ironically now he also uses Bryce and Poser ocasionally, but mostly DS. We make a good team now, for the textures I do for my web site. I make the textures, set them all up in Poser, mat pose them and prepare the zip, which I then upload to the backroom of the site, he downloads, makes DS settings for the and redoes the zip, which then goes onto the site for distribution. I think it is because of this that people are sometimes surprised when I say I don't use DS. It does say in all my readmes that Neil makes the DS mats, but how many people read teh readme ? :roll:

edited August 2012

chohole said:
    but how many people read teh readme ? :roll:

That's another one of those, "How long is a piece of string?" type of questions isn't it? :)

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

Yes, I guess it is really. :coolsmirk:

• tomasballtomasball Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

Umm. I just downloaded the new Daz Studio today, and I got the 4.5.0.114 version. Is there a newer one than that, and how do I get it? I'm not having much luck getting a M5 character over into Bryce 7.1. Lots of "out of memory" notices.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

tomasball said:
    Umm. I just downloaded the new Daz Studio today, and I got the 4.5.0.114 version. Is there a newer one than that, and how do I get it? I'm not having much luck getting a M5 character over into Bryce 7.1. Lots of "out of memory" notices.

Yes, I think I've read that the 5 gen characters have much too complex geometry for Bryce to read correctly.
    Even the poly count of M4 is a bit excessive.
    edited December 1969

There are some considerations with high resolution textures for skin and clothes eating up lots of resources, but there are many ways to get around that. When I get home from work tonight I will upload the exact steps you will need. I too am just getting my legs with the new DS 4.5 but I feel confident you can get a M5 into B7.1 without too much trouble. I would say for now try exporting again but do so with no skin. Use the All Mapless morph, send the model to Bryce, and then apply the skin textures while in Bryce. Works like a charm. There are also tutorials I have written to help make this happen easily but I dont have the time to find them (posting from work AGAIN) but I will post up the links later. Best of luck and talk to you soon.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

tomasball said:

Yes, I think I've read that the 5 gen characters have much too complex geometry for Bryce to read correctly.
    Even the poly count of M4 is a bit excessive.

works fine

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

just did this using the bridge

1_Bryce_Genesis.jpg
    800 x 436 - 116K
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited August 2012

Yup, just got 4.5R loaded lat night and the Bryce Bridge works quite well. While I'm still not entirely sold on D|S, I really like the Genesis figure's flexibility.

Here's what I brought over and just had to add more stuff...

This is the Genesis figure, with no changes to the bridged model in Bryce. Kinda cheesecake, but it's only one of two outfits that come with the Genesis package.
    Added one of RJ001's excellent Bryce truck models and a primitive thingie with one of David Brinnen's Mab variant textures from his Pro Material collection.
    Illuminated by the Bryce sun, Use Sky IBL and True Ambience (64 RPP).

gen_driver.jpg
    600 x 600 - 150K
    Post edited by Dan Whiteside on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Run a few tests with DS4.5 Pro porting things over. Now what I find utterly mystifying considering DAZ wrote DS and have owned Bryce for quite some time now why whoever wrote the bridge has failed to link up the materials properties in a more satisfactory way. This should have been sorted a long time before now. It should have been addressed when the bridge was first written - shouldn't it?

Anyway, issues... first this one belongs to Bryce and is known, the smoothing of meshes is a bit faulty and that has caused the shadow artefacts seen on her sleeves.

Materials... I modified the hair - bit it sort of worked before. But the cornea - was non-existent - blend transparency was being used when it should have been normal and set to provide specular. Also, her lips, I notice no specular and the bump map wasn't enabled (and besides DS hasn't sent a correct bump map). There are doubtless more, I'm only getting started, but really can anyone think of a good reason why this can't be fixed and easily? I ask, because otherwise, we need to get pestering DAZ to fix this ADSAP (As Daz Soon As Possible). Any thoughts?

Greenish_bricks1.jpg
    500 x 500 - 157K
  • SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

I wonder if this is linked to the issue I had recently when sending 'Feathered Wings' across the bridge to Bryce (from DS4.5) where the materials for the Millennium Dragon came over fine, the materials for M4 (and it was M4 not Genesis in M4-mode) with Sparky's Gryphon morphs and MATs, along with the mentioned wings was just wrong ...
    Images of DAZ scene, the Objects exported and how they appear in Bryce. I can't capture it, but the Mesh Groups in Bryce are named Legs Pawed M5, Michael 5, Tail Long M5 for the non-dragon.

Chase.jpg
    800 x 600 - 201K
    In_Bryce.jpg
    419 x 490 - 57K
    Objects_selected.jpg
    236 x 161 - 16K
    DS45_preview.jpg
    516 x 554 - 53K
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

tomasball said:
    Umm. I just downloaded the new Daz Studio today, and I got the 4.5.0.114 version. Is there a newer one than that.

4.5.0.114 was the most recently released version (unless I missed something in the last week or two), so you should already have what you need.

I would love to see more D|S to Bryce bridge improvements as well...

• GjSGjS Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Not sure if I the following is a good idea;

I was thinking about alternative options to the bridge such as;

Plugin version of Bryce that works directly in DS.

Once installed it will show up under a new tab; Bryce [Scenes] and that section of the UI will look just like Bryce.

Render settings will allow additional options; to include Bryce render mode.

Preview whilst working in DS sections will not display of course but an option to float (or dock) Bryce mini Quick Preview window with stay on top / float options when working in DS modes / tabs; actors, clothing, lighting, pose, animation.

Overall this plugin concept (idea) can be enabled or disabled in DS preferences.

Anyway this is just a flight of fantasy, a feature suggestion.

edited December 1969

Would only work for those who actually use DS. For me, I use poser as a addon for Bryce,

• GjSGjS Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Would only work for those who actually use DS. For me, I use poser as a addon for Bryce,

I recently got Poser Pro 2010 at Amazon for a really good price ($79.99) and started to work with it. Initially the default UI is too cluttered (claustrophobic) for my liking so I've cleaned that up immediately to allow much greater workspace and use the shortcuts to show/hide tools and such. Works really well.

The Firefly rendering is quite good but the preview prior to is hideous lol although that's been addressed in version 2012.

Now I need to learn how to work with Poser + Bryce, so far import/export seems to work OK although not perfect and I guess that's the nature of using .obj formats, is there's another better format I should be using?.

I usually keep all my materials well organized/simplified so that locating them won't be an issue.

Still on my learner's permit lol I'm producing a music video and this will be my first for creating CGi characters with as much realism as I can get. I have Sony Vegas as the main video editor to bring it all together. I estimate I would need to create at least 100 scenes?.... {ahem} should have it all done by 2025? (j/k) LOL!!

DS has a great UI and I can whip up a 3D scene (interior of a space craft) easier than working with Poser; I'm still trying to figure out how to get the image maps aligned properly in Poser.

DS also has really nice default character bases (Genesis, Victoria and Michael), I think these are DS strengths.

Optimization options for the bases to allow easier skinning/clothing and thereby faster render times in Bryce could be a good feature. I've done test scenes with characters in Bryce, getting the materials and lighting perfect is my biggest challenge and sometimes (not always) I get that out-of-memory error in Bryce.