Free version of Hexagon won't open old files?

edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

After a long time not using Hexagon I've just downloaded the free version and assumed I could continue to use my old files but with a more stable environment. But it won't open any of them.

The new version of Hexagon works OK and can open newly save files but it's not much use to me if I can't open all my old files which I want to continue work on.

I'm using a Mac running Tiger.

Comments

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Have you tried importing instead of opening?

• edited December 1969

I tried importing but the result is the same. I get a spinning cursor for a few seconds and then nothing happens and no file opens or imports. The application itself carries on working and I can create new objects.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

We did see that sort of complaint with the early Beta of the latest version - thought that had been sorted out.

If you like, you can post an example file on host site and PM me with the location. I'll see if it's possible to open and send you a "converted" version.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the offer.

I've exported the main file I wanted to work on as an "OBJ" and imported that into the new version of Hexagon.

I really just want to test it at the moment to see if it is more stable on my Mac. If it isn't I'll stick with the old version which isn't too bad as long as I don't use any of the Materials or Shading features which always crashes it.

• edited December 1969

From 2 different comments you made:

Jon-3D said:
    ...I've just downloaded the free version and assumed I could continue to use my old files but...it won't open any of them

I've exported the main file I wanted to work on as an "OBJ" and imported that into the new version of Hexagon

Raises 2 questions in my mind:

What version is your old hexagon?

And in what file format were you previously saving your files?

• edited December 1969

My old Hexagon is version 2.5.0.5.

All my files were saved in Hexagon's own format.

• edited December 1969

Jon-3D said:
    My old Hexagon is version 2.5.0.5.

All my files were saved in Hexagon's own format.

Hmmm...nothing there sets up any red flags to me. Maybe someone else has further info.

At least you have a common format to transfer with though, so all is not lost.

• TerrainerTerrainer Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

I have this same problem on a powerpc mac.Both on leopard and tiger.Maybe on an intel it works.

• edited December 1969

Terrainer said:
    I have this same problem on a powerpc mac.Both on leopard and tiger.Maybe on an intel it works.

Thanks for that suggestion. My Mac is also an old one so I loaded the latest Hexagon on a Mac at work which is more recent and an Intel model running Leopard.

My old file loaded without problem.

but...

I did a "Save as" and this file would still not load onto my Mac at home in the latest version of Hexagon but it would load in the old version!

So it's still not an answer to converting my old files to the use in the latest version.

There are also some display problems with the latest version of Hexagon on my pre Intel Mac which are OK on the Intel Mac at work so I'll probably just stick with the old version.

edited September 2012

Well at least on an Intel machine it works.

I did get some response from Daz at one point:
    "The new version of hexagon was updated to run on intel MACs without rosetta (ie Lion).
    It should still run on a PPC mac though. It is possible that is the root of the problem, but I doubt it."

Post edited by Terrainer on
  • edited December 1969

When I first asked this question I had a seven year old PowerPC Mac. Then just over a week ago the display failed and on enquiry it was quickly obvious that it wasn't worth repairing it.

So I now have a new Intel Mac running OSX 10.8.1 Mountain Lion.

The good news is that Hexagon is fine and I can now open my old files as well!

As long as you use the latest free version of Hexagon I've not had any problems although I haven't had much chance to use it yet.

Any earlier versions of Hexagon will not work as they need Rosetta which is no longer supported.

Daz Studio 3 also won't work so I've downloaded Daz Sudio 4.5 and now I can't open my old Studio 3 files!

So one problem solved and one new one.

I'll head over to another Forum and see if anyone can advise.

edited December 1969

Well at least hexagon works fine on the new machines.That's good news.
    I'm chugging along on an old clunker too so I have to upgrade at some point.
    Rather strange that Studio doesn't work.