My First Submission -Car Parts.

StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
edited August 2012 in Bryce Discussion

Hi. Just thought I would submit this image as I was quite pleased with the result.

Made with Bryce 7 Pro. All objects are made from the objects and primitives
that come with Bryce.

Used Elefont for the text.

I'm open to criticism but please don't hurt me. :)

I've included the messy scene screenshot for the curious.

Post edited by StuartB on

Comments

• geoff_d5b50fd3bcgeoff_d5b50fd3bc Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

nice! Bet that took some time!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Beautifully crafted scene and nicely rendered - very nicely. What is that a 500cc piston from a 4.2 litre V8 engine? What would that be in cubic inches? I bet you were thinking in cubic inches?

Anyway the only thing I would point out is that one of your piston rings (the expander/spacer - the "wiggly" one) looks like it could benefit from a different material mapping mode? Maybe spherical?

But certainly you'd get top marks from me if DAZ 3D still boasted a Bryce gallery.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,798
    edited December 1969

This looks amazing! The wood looks quite realistic as does the metal work. I agree with David, this would be a top marks type of submission if the galleries were operating. Great work indeed. You should join us over at Bryce5.com.

Keep at it!!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

The diameter of the piston is larger then the height so I conclude the engine runs at low revs. Outstanding modelling and excellently presented.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    The diameter of the piston is larger then the height so I conclude the engine runs at low revs. Outstanding modelling and excellently presented.

Over square? This is why I am guessing large cc V8.

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

First of all thanks very much for the really kind comments.

The piston wasn't modeled on any particular make or model.
    My son and I have just completely rebuilt a Honda B18C4 engine.
    I just thought afterwards I would try a picture loosely relating to it.

I know what you mean about the mesh / wavy piston ring.
    That particular ring we put in the engine was like the one in the picture.
    It's like "/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\-/\" but obviously circular,
    with a metal wire going through the center. I got the metal ring as you can see
    going across the gap but couldn't get it right when making the object
    so just settled for a mesh material from Bryce.

I may still try again.
    Thanks for your input.
    :)

npr-piston.jpg
    640 x 359 - 23K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Yup, GM Opel/Vauxhalls use(d) to have almost square ratio pistons. American cars have usually pistons with a wider diameter than height while sports cars have it the other way around.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Very well done. Just a small observation though, there are more rings than grooves on the piston if the intention was for a complete piston kit.

Cheers
    GG

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

kiwi_gg said:
    Very well done. Just a small observation though, there are more rings than grooves on the piston if the intention was for a complete piston kit.

Cheers
    GG

There are 2 rings that go with the oil curly ring. One above, one below the oil ring. Then two for compression.
    These all fit in 3 groves on the piston.

• kiwi_ggkiwi_gg Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Yeah, remembered that after I posted but had to dash off to work. It's been many years since I last rebuilt an engine.

Cheers
    GG

• silk_99cfbbf5d0silk_99cfbbf5d0 Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Yup, GM Opel/Vauxhalls use(d) to have almost square ratio pistons. American cars have usually pistons with a wider diameter than height while sports cars have it the other way around.

Hmm, I would have thought the opposite. I have yet to see an American car that had a wider than height ratio. But then again, I haven't seen the high end cars. Which is why I kind of thought that piston look weird. But I thought he was modeling some foreign car.

edited August 2012

I have an American V8 - something like 4 or 5 litre - engine sat on my kitchen floor - it's not mine. I'm just the sort of person who lets friends rebuild car engines in their kitchen.

And who'd have thought it - Blaine's a petrol head? Now we know how to coax him out of the shadows...

Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

I’m just the sort of person who lets friends rebuild car engines in their kitchen.

Ha!, funny you should mention the kitchen.
    Here's the Honda engine we rebuilt.

100_5169.JPG
    1024 x 768 - 313K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

lol, I guess you go down the Chippie when you get hungry.

edited December 1969

The cleanness and tidiness of your kitchen puts me to shame, however you try keeping a kitchen clean and tidy when you've got a whacking great wood stove in it?

Not everyone cares about the mess... some just appreciate the fire.

P6110074.JPG
    480 x 640 - 123K
    edited August 2012

Nice, very nice. Me I have alwasy wanted a Aga like the one they used to have in one of the staff mess rooms in the park I used to live (and worjk) in, It was multi purpose, so burnt coal, coke and wood. You can bet that mostly it burnt wood, being situated in a park the size of RIchmond Park. The mess rooms had no mains suppiles at all. Lighting was gas (bottled gas) and sanitation was a cess pit.

I always though it would have made a great place to live, and wouldn't have taken too much conversion to turn it into a habitation.

Only drawback would have been the lack of internet access. Oh and a reliable power source for the pooters I guess.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Just updated the picture. Changed the oil ring.
    Made one from scratch, 103 objects and it still don't look right.

edited December 1969

Looking good though. Sometimes we are our own worst critics.

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Just updated the picture. Changed the oil ring.
    Made one from scratch, 103 objects and it still don't look right.

Much improved on the "oil ring", I would say.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

I agree, I don't know squat about building engines but I too would say the new version looks much much closer to the real one then your first attempt.

• edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Hi. Just thought I would submit this image as I was quite pleased with the result.

Made with Bryce 7 Pro. All objects are made from the objects and primitives
    that come with Bryce.

Used Elefont for the text.

I'm open to criticism but please don't hurt me. :)

I've included the messy scene screenshot for the curious.

Thanks StuartB4 for sharing this fine work.

Very, very impressive modelling! I am glad you included the wireframe shot as well. Just an idea: you can change the "paper" background to black and then use different colour wireframes for the parts and thus explain somewhat how it is put together. That would show off your modelling skills even more. But the render really knocks me out. The lighting is superb and the contrast between wood and metal works well.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work later.

BTW how long did that take to get to current state?

Very nice indeed.

kind regards

Peter

edited December 1969

Thanks for your kind comments Kine_magiK.

Thanks for the background colour tip, never even thought about changing it before.

As you can see I did use different colour wire frames for some of the objects.
    I seem to have a bad habit of using the default colour until something goes
    wrong and I can't get to the object I need to edit because it's embedded deep
    in side something else. I will learn though.

It actually took about 4 days to create but on and off when I had the time.

Thanks again.

Piston_Wire.jpg
    600 x 488 - 101K