Zip files for the PC

KrazyHorse2KrazyHorse2 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Are the zip files for the PC being held up? When should we be able to expect them??

Comments

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

I believe so. Those I believe will be released or switched once they release the download manager things as well. I dont have a tentative timeframe on that though. I would suspect it won't be too long though (please note how gracefully I avoided the word soon LOL)

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

I believe so. Those I believe will be released or switched once they release the download manager things as well. I dont have a tentative timeframe on that though. I would suspect it won't be too long though (please note how gracefully I avoided the word soon LOL)

But you said it... the 'S' word ;-P

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,242
    edited December 1969

Why would you care about getting the .exes in .zip files? The mac .zips are just the same bitrock installers inside .zip files. All that does is add another step before you can run them.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Why would you care about getting the .exes in .zip files? The mac .zips are just the same bitrock installers inside .zip files. All that does is add another step before you can run them.
    The new zip files will not be that way.
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I really hope that they don't put out the zips before the download manager because I am so not looking forward to dealing with zips.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586
    edited December 1969

I was hoping that zip files would be coming out with the new site. If we use the new manager system will we still have access to the zip files so that we can back them up to dvd/bluray or what not? (I do not think the burn to dvd option will come back right?)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

I was hoping that zip files would be coming out with the new site. If we use the new manager system will we still have access to the zip files so that we can back them up to dvd/bluray or what not? (I do not think the burn to dvd option will come back right?)

Yes, AFAIK

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586
    edited December 1969

Yes, AFAIK

Good to know, Thanks

• KrazyHorse2KrazyHorse2 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks Ann.........................Do us all a favor and lose the word, SOON............LOL

• NathNath Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

Zip vs exe - either way is fine for me, but can we please go back to seeing our entire item list and being able to filter mac/win files in available downloads?

• sazzyazzcasazzyazzca Posts: 495
    edited December 1969

Nath said:
    Zip vs exe - either way is fine for me, but can we please go back to seeing our entire item list and being able to filter mac/win files in available downloads?

I very much miss both of those things.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You understand that when all files are ZIP it will not matter what PC you are on, right? Zip is zip PC, Mac ect... so one file for all means no need to sort by PC type. Just give it some time.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Very happy that we now have Zips

All I need now is to filter out the Mac files

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,441
    edited December 1969

I think there are several reasons to switch to zipfiles.
    (a) The problems with old mac installers not been able to run because they are one and sometimes two processor architectures old. Zipfiles can always be extracted.
    (b) One, not two sets of files to maintain.
    (c) All other stores uses zip-files.
    (d) Specially for smaller installers, the 9MB overhead for a 2MB download is quite a toll on bandwidth

• IanTPIanTP Posts: 1,326
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    You understand that when all files are ZIP it will not matter what PC you are on, right? Zip is zip PC, Mac ect... so one file for all means no need to sort by PC type. Just give it some time.

Its going to be so great, I have DS on a mac and a PC so downloading both versions is a right royal PITA (can i say that?) although i'm researching a network solution and a shared runtime, so i don't accidentely overwrite my mac runtime :-)

• Satira CapriccioSatira Capriccio Posts: 523
    edited December 1969

With installers broken, I'd prefer DAZ NOT wait for the download manager.

Rather annoying when you can't install a product you purchase or when it takes a half hour to get an installer to run.

Khory said:
    I really hope that they don't put out the zips before the download manager because I am so not looking forward to dealing with zips.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

well until they switch to zips for pc OR I get a landline (OR MAC!!!) I will have to pretty much accept resetting my downloads and retrying on my 3G mobile broadband at different times of the day
    used up all my goes and resets just trying to download the Supersuit main file, forget all the rest of the pro package!!
    still no suit
    downloading never was good, usually 6 am Sunday morning is my best time, will retry then
    BUT
    the zip file downloads fine on my Android, unfortunately Mac only!!!!
    I find zips excellent for that reason.

• BagletBaglet Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'd like zip files for PC as I don't always want to install everything in a set.

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

My question is will the zip files be set up so they will unzip nicely into our runtime or will we have to manually place them in the correct folders? After someone from Daz sent me a zip file of an item that had an old installer that wouldnt work..the zip file put the files into a content folder rather than in my runtime so I had to manually place all the files. I was just wondering how they were planning to set it up?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

The zips should have the same file structure as the installers, so unless the installer was wrong (which I know is the case for some items, particularly older ones which can have path errors), they should be easy. The Install Manager will probably protect against things like "My Library" being "Content" in DS3.

• digitelldigitell Posts: 558
    edited December 1969

The zips should have the same file structure as the installers, so unless the installer was wrong (which I know is the case for some items, particularly older ones which can have path errors), they should be easy. The Install Manager will probably protect against things like "My Library" being "Content" in DS3.

Wonderful news! Thanks! ;)
  • andolaurinaandolaurina Posts: 667
    edited December 1969

Excellent. This will be such a time-saver.

• KalypsoKalypso Posts: 208
    edited December 1969

So will all products be updated to zips? If so, I'll have a lot of downloading to do as I'd like to archive them in zips. Hope DAZ brings back the burn to DVD offer. I'd be willing to pay for them burning all my orders and postage but I have a sneaking suspicion that won't happen.

• tekuntekun Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

As I'm currently just wishing for wishing sakes...

it would be awesome if DAZ Studio would just take the zips (or rar or another archive format) as is, like you have a Archive content folder and then the Program (DAZ Studio/Poser) just works with it without unarchiving! I would make things simpler for both file management and disk defragmentation (anyone try copying their content library to another drive? It take an awful long time vs copying a few dvd size file, those small file just take forever).

Updating products would be simpler cause you just add the new archive and replace the old, or even have the Program version it for you using the updated/changed files within.

This of course would be a huge changing of the current process, but like I stated earlier... just wishing.....

-jack

Post edited by tekun on
  • Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited May 2012

File Sizes no longer Given. They should be listed right up front with price!!!

Just for the record. I no longer see file sizes posted. For a number of items, such as Hair styles, and clothes, file sizes are important to me because this is one of the considerations that goes into my render times for an image.

If I am looking for something to complete an image I am working on I will often buy/not buy based on the file size. For Items that are V4 and Gn, I have been assuming that what I will use is about 50% of the file size listed.

Post edited by Consumer573 on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

File Sizes no longer Given. They should be listed right up front with price!!!

Just for the record. I no longer see file sizes posted. For a number of items, such as Hair styles, and clothes, file sizes are important to me because this is one of the considerations that goes into my render times for an image.

If I am looking for something to complete an image I am working on I will often buy/not buy based on the file size. For Items that are V4 and Gn, I have been assuming that what I will use is about 50% of the file size listed.

This is a know issue and DAZ is aware of it.

• McGrandpaMcGrandpa Posts: 464
    edited December 1969

Well we've lost out substantially in the ITEMIZED ORDERS. It's only 8 years waiting for ZIP files instead of executable installers. It's About Time! :)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,166
    edited December 1969

The install manager should be out shortly.