Duplicate ID's in DAZ Studio 4.5

RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hi Folks,

I've created a bug report, found here: https://bugs.daz3d.com/view.php?id=46844

It seems their attempt to squash the Duplicate ID issue in 4.5 rears it's ugly head on ALL content I'm loading up that was created previous to this build. New stuff seems OK including newly converted items but stuff, even bought at DAZ3D store is giving me Duplicate ID errors.

If anyone else is getting these (the error message will pop up when the clothing item is being loaded) then please follow the link and add your name to the list. I'm not sure what else DAZ may want to see from me concerning this but I was floored when EVERY clothing item returned this error message.... SIGH............ :down:

Comments

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited May 2012

Already addressed this in DAZ Studio 4.5 Release Candidate Available Now thread. Richard already responded to it with This.

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited May 2012

Nope, this is new! Items there were created around the same time that 4.5 was released do NOT return Dup ID errors. Items created with or before .47 version of DAZ Studio are. It's new. As stated stuff I've bought from the DAZ3D store are even returning Dup ID errors.

Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Did you reset your downloads? Many items were updated in March and April for this problem.

edited December 1969

I'm just running Richards script. I don't have the time to re-download and install those PITA installers for this .... not my fault nor any other end user so why should we be subject to this sort of waste of time? No, Richards script is doing the job I hoped it would do so that's good enough for now!

edited December 1969

We're sorry about the inconvenience. The problem was discovered while working on Carrara 8.5. Even though DS 4.0.3 didn't show the error, it was decided that correcting the content and having DS 4.5 throw the same error was the proper way to resolve the problem.

edited December 1969

To me there is a glitch in the coding or introducing new code that should have been locked at that point. You can't just change things mid stream when you have content creators attempting to support this platform. It's off putting for everyone, creators and purchasers! Luckily Richards script is working exceptionally well! :-) I've mentioned in another thread that he should update it to allow it to run on a batch of folders. Like select the Clothing folder and run the script, it would only look for .dsf files and fix those ignoring png's and what ever else is in there. Going to one folder at a time can also a bit of unnecessary time wasted.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

I id consider a batch mode, but rejected it for a couple of reasons - first, it can be very slow (though having had Rob explain the code for handling JSON files it's better than the first draft) and second, while it seems not to break things I don't want to risk letting it run wild. Remember, too, that not every dsf file is going to be an item - some will be presets and although I don't think my script will hurt those it may throw an error or even terminate part way through on some non-item files so there's a risk of confusion, at least.

edited December 1969

Hmmm, understood. In the presets is there a line of code up top that tells a script that it's different from another dsf file?? Perhaps that can be an 'ignore file' wildcard if that's possible???

edited May 2012

Well, the script does look at the content of the file in a structured way so it should be safe, but I didn't feel happy risking it. Also, another point I forgot first time through is that if a file was processed twice (which could easily happen in a scan through folders mode) the original back up copy would be overwritten - not fatal as the user could always reinstall, and shouldn't cause issues anyway, but again I'm not comfortable with the risk.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Well, the script does look at the content of the file in a structured way so it should be safe, but I didn't feel happy risking it. Also, another point I forgot first time through is that if a file was processed twice (which could easily happen in a scan through folders mode) the original back up copy would be overwritten - not fatal as the user could always reinstall, and shouldn't cause issues anyway, but again I'm comfortable with the risk.

Comfortable or Not comfortable? If comfortable then bring on the other script. Might be worth checking out, I'd test it on a few folders and see what happens for ya.

edited December 1969

Sorry, "not" inserted. I don't have time to look at this right now, but if I do get a chnace I'll see about an "at your own risk" batch option with a ctrl-click launch.

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,039
    edited May 2012

Already addressed this in DAZ Studio 4.5 Release Candidate Available Now thread. Richard already responded to it with This.

post as freebie please. i hate links that require you to sign up.

Post edited by Zev0 on
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:

post as freebie please. i hate links that require you to sign up.

They're working on getting it hosted somewhere you don't need to sign up.

edited December 1969

Why not just dump it under the freebie section of the site? Why upload on an external link?

edited December 1969

DAZ doesn't provide file storage for user downloads such as my script, only for official products. However, Kendall Sears did provide me with some free hosting - if you find the thread on my fix script in the index linked below you will be able to download without needing to be signed up.

edited December 1969

cool man. Thanks