how do you place gun or any object in the actors hands

LPIncLPInc Posts: 14
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

how do you place gun or any object in the actors hands

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,354
    edited December 1969

I would assume its the same as in DS. You would have to parent it. Manually place in hand and then parent it to the hand

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

at it's simplest, you move the gun to the hand (hopefully you have a hand-pose to make the fingers grip the gun), then you "parent" the gun to the hand by dragging the gun prop onto the word "Hand (or right Hand, or however it is called) in the instances list...

If the gun is a "smart prop" it will load parented to the figure's hand.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Exactly as Frank said. You'll need to parent it to the hand. If it's Poser or DAZ content, there may be a pose file for the hand and/or gun. Some Poser style props like that will even ask what hand you want it placed in when loading it.

If it's your own, then you'll have to move it into position.

• Is there a way to animate/keyframe the parenting?

To grab or throw in-shot?

A Ninja character reaches behind her neck, draws a small dagger, throws it at a bad guy - the dagger spins and then buries itself into the guy, who in turn spins and falls, all in one shot?

Thanks!

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813

Is there a way to animate/keyframe the parenting?

To grab or throw in-shot?

A Ninja character reaches behind her neck, draws a small dagger, throws it at a bad guy - the dagger spins and then buries itself into the guy, who in turn spins and falls, all in one shot?

Thanks!

Parenting cannot be keyframed, but you can still move the parented object by keyframes so there is really no need.  Just set a keyframe at the frame before you want it to start being thrown, then move it as desired.

That should work, but I don't have time to test it.

Therefore somebody will be by any minute explaining why I am wrong and how to really do it  enlightened

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615

For what you're describing I'd consider using multiple versions of the dagger, and then turn visibility on and off as needed. For the spinning dagger after it leaves the Ninja's hand, it might be cooler looking to make that a physics object and give it an initial rotation and forward motion and it should automatically do a realistic throw for you. No need to worry about parenting.

Then when it gets to the poor guy's head, you just turn viz off, and turn it on for the dagger buried in his nostril.

And of course during the throwing phase, just turn on viz to the dagger parented to the hand as it throws.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,797

you can make him pick it up with a track modifier and maybe a target helper and that can be keyframed