GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    edited December 1969

I'm having a problem with pwGhost and DS 4.5. I upgraded to 4.5, reset my pwGhost download and installed version 1.2. But when I try to render, all I get is a solid flat color instead of the pwGhost effect. While rendering, it gives me this error message:

3Delight message #45 (Severity 2): S2069: the interface of shader 'F:/DAZ/DAZStudio4/shaders/pwGhost.sdl' is invalid

The file is there, so I'm out of guesses.

I have noticed the shader presets for the SuperSuit have stopped working in DS4.5, at least in the Macintosh version. I have filed a bug report on that. Perhaps you should file a bug report about pwGhost.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Guys, guys... Please anyone clarify the UberSurface2 issue: am I the only one who uninstalled the old version, reset downloads, installed the file called 12700_UberSurface2DS4_1.3_ds.exe - but it doesn't work anyway in DS4.5? I've read someone say it does work, so I don't get what I am doing wrong...

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    Outline with geometry shell reached. Some thing to work even.

Oh my god I have been trying to do this myself! The closest I could get was a faded outline using UberVolume.

Please, share your secrets! If you do, i'll happily make you a Manga Style beta tester once it goes into beta.

• Pax AsteriaePax Asteriae Posts: 398
    edited December 1969

Apparently I'm going mad. Or blind. (This one might actually be the case.)

How do I get rid of this lesson strip thing?

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I have noticed the shader presets for the SuperSuit have stopped working in DS4.5

All the shader presets that come with it or just some of the subsets?

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Kachi said:

This was really haneous on DAZ's part; apparantly they really want people to have the lesson strip around, since disabling it is buried.

You have to edit configuration, add the "Enable Lesson Strip" action to one of your menus so you can see the checkbox for it and turn it off. After I turned it off, I went back into edit configuration and removed it from the menus since I will never, ever turn it back on.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Hiding the lesson strip must depend on which style you use. For me it is in preferences/interface right below background.

edited December 1969

cwichura said:
    Kachi said:

This was really haneous on DAZ's part; apparantly they really want people to have the lesson strip around, since disabling it is buried.

You have to edit configuration, add the "Enable Lesson Strip" action to one of your menus so you can see the checkbox for it and turn it off. After I turned it off, I went back into edit configuration and removed it from the menus since I will never, ever turn it back on.

You are an utter hero! Thank you, I'm now lesson strip-free. :D

edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Hiding the lesson strip must depend on which style you use. For me it is in preferences/interface right below background.

I'm using the Darkside layout. Preferences -> Interface was the first place I looked and there's absolutely nothing there to be rid of the damn thing... Always handy with an interface issue!

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:

Oh my god I have been trying to do this myself! The closest I could get was a faded outline using UberVolume.

Please, share your secrets! If you do, i'll happily make you a Manga Style beta tester once it goes into beta.

Yes!, yes!, yes!

But it isn't a one click solution, almost two click and one dial. One click to create geometry shell, one dialed to fit width and one click to apply shader.

• clarke_af31e2e15dclarke_af31e2e15d Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Hey all,

fairly new user here trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to 4.5, and hoping to avoid having to read through the entire 39 page thread. I'm looking forward to some of the new features, but I usually wait to upgrade software until a few rounds of bug-fixing have happened. I'm not using much in the way of plug-ins right now, but want to hop on Reality/Lux here pretty soon.

Does anyone have a (hopefully) short list of bugs/things that aren't working yet?

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

inquire said:
    I'm having a problem with pwGhost and DS 4.5. I upgraded to 4.5, reset my pwGhost download and installed version 1.2. But when I try to render, all I get is a solid flat color instead of the pwGhost effect. While rendering, it gives me this error message:

3Delight message #45 (Severity 2): S2069: the interface of shader 'F:/DAZ/DAZStudio4/shaders/pwGhost.sdl' is invalid

I have noticed the shader presets for the SuperSuit have stopped working in DS4.5, at least in the Macintosh version. I have filed a bug report on that. Perhaps you should file a bug report about pwGhost.

SuperSuit presets are working for me so far on Mac Os X Lion 64-Bit - without any download reset / re-install of the SuperSuit files (also added this info to a bug report).

As for shaders, at least UberSurface2 (12700_UberSurface2DS4_1.3_ds.zip), pwSurface2 (8258_pwSurface2_1.2_ds.zip), pwToon (7253_pwToon_1.2_ds.zip - mac), and pwEffect (5387_pwEffect_1.2_ds.zip) are working for me. I don't own pwGhost, so cannot help with pwGhost.

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

gilikshe said:
    gilikshe said:

Yes!, yes!, yes!

But it isn't a one click solution, almost two click and one dial. One click to create geometry shell, one dialed to fit width and one click to apply shader.

I'm sure we can survive with a two click one dial solution. :3

• edited December 1969

Zketch said:
    GigaBeat said:
    Whoohoo! Found my first bug in the new DS4.5. :coolgrin:
    In the Render Settings pane when selecting Dimensions / Preset to Active Viewport it will automatically tick Constrain Proportions (which it never did in DS4.0) therefore when you restart DS4.5 the Dimensions / Preset has become Customs instead of staying as Active Viewport which in effect maintains a boxed window. This is really annoying. >:-(

Someone please look into this issue. I'm encountering the same behavior in 4.5. In Render Settings, when I select "Active Viewport" from the preset pull-down, the "Constrain Proportions" checkbox is automatically checked. If I manually uncheck said box, the preset pull-down changes to "Custom".
    The problem is: I do *NOT* want DAZ Studio defaulting to a viewport preset other than "Active Viewport" when I start the application. This is very, very annoying. If anyone has figured out a way to fix this, please reply.

I seem to have found a possible work-around to fix this issue (not sure if it's intended to work this way). In the Edit menu, open Preferences and then go to the "Scene" tab. Under the "Render Settings" category, check the option to "Ignore when opening a scene file."

At first I thought this might interfere with my preferred render settings, but it hasn't. Now regardless of whether I start DAZ Studio 4.5 from scratch or open an existing scene, my viewport defaults to the desired "Active Viewport" setting. I hope this works for others who've been troubled by this issue.

• martinez.zora77@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 1,343
    edited December 1969

I'm sure we can survive with a two click one dial solution. :3

I send you a PM.

• Gerardo AlvinoGerardo Alvino Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

I 've a stupid question why when i try to save a scene I can't save in *.daz like in the others version of DS ?... in DS 4.5 menù save scene is in *.duf format !? where's *.daz ? my copy of DS4 is broken ? ehhehe

edited December 1969

Khory said:
    I have noticed the shader presets for the SuperSuit have stopped working in DS4.5

All the shader presets that come with it or just some of the subsets?

Those subsets.

edited December 1969

I 've a stupid question why when i try to save a scene I can't save in *.daz like in the others version of DS ?... in DS 4.5 menù save scene is in *.duf format !? where's *.daz ? my copy of DS4 is broken ? ehhehe

It's not broken. That's the way DAZ has done it. Now you save in duf or one of those formats. It should still open the .daz scenes, though.

• edited August 2012

Ok just tried out 4.5 from still using Daz3 and i can say i'm not in the least happy with it, just like with 4

i would like to remind everyone that i am Basing how i feel from Daz 3 to 4.5 . and also this is my Feedback to how i feel

~~The Bad~~
    Content Manager- was still running in the Background eating up 50mbs of my 1.5gbs ram, even though During the install it asked about it being started, i didn't select it but i still seen it running Behind the scenes.

Interface- The interface is still very Bulky and Messy looking as it still takes up much of my viewing Scene Space, even the Content area feels bulky

Options- finding the options was a Maze on its own, even when i did find the right options they were spread out from each other.

Loading a Scene i have made in Daz3 took twice as long in 4.5 .

Poser Look Alike? Did i say it looks a lot like Poser? >.> i loved Daz Studio because it didn't look anything like Poser. but when i look at genesis i have those very same options that i would have had in Poser, same with the Interface in looks.

Ease of Use? you know in Daz 2 i got the hang of it very fast, it was easy to understand and learn. Even without ever reading a tutorial. Daz 3 was different but at the same time a tad Harder. Daz 4-4.5 for someone just learning 3D would have to get a tutorial to learn what they are doing or they might End up buying another 3D Program or just even Give Up trying.

Genesis- with many advancements i don't see many Parameter Options for this praised thing, i would have liked to seen more things from start.

Ok i got out what i Dislike about Daz 4.5 and why i will be sticking with Daz 3 until i see Daz 5 and hope for the better.

The Good
    ok so what did i like? well lets see.

Rendering Speed - much faster then 3 could be and many more options to play with. this i like because i can Expand more on how the End Result could look like.

Genesis- i love the Concept idea of this, i can go from Male to Female, or Child to Adult. just that alone i can create many character ideas.

and lastly there was many things to try out and play with, this i enjoyed because it felt like a Full 3D program to do many things with.

~~~~~Rant over~~~~

Now before i get the you should have a better computer or anything like that. i would like to point out that i shouldn't need a new computer or really anything new. if i can run things faster in Daz 3 over 4.5 this means that there is issues some where in the program Maybe it is in the loading taking extra steps, or its a Bug.

I'm really kind of sad though i had high hopes that 4.5 would have fixed everything that 4 Flopped on me, so i am without Genesis Still until the next Update of Fixes happen :(

again this is my Feedback of how i see 4.5

Post edited by ltmiroku_20bbf1c990 on
    edited December 1969

clarke said:
    Hey all,

fairly new user here trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to 4.5, and hoping to avoid having to read through the entire 39 page thread. I'm looking forward to some of the new features, but I usually wait to upgrade software until a few rounds of bug-fixing have happened. I'm not using much in the way of plug-ins right now, but want to hop on Reality/Lux here pretty soon.

Does anyone have a (hopefully) short list of bugs/things that aren't working yet?

Gee, the bugs and things you may or may not experience seem to me to depend a lot on what OS you are using, such as Windows or Macintosh, then, since I'm a Macintosh user, I'll continue with the example as Mac, is it OS X 10.5. 10.7x, 10.8, 10.8.1? Any of these might create or remove problems.

edited December 1969

Renpatsu said:
    inquire said:

SuperSuit presets are working for me so far on Mac Os X Lion 64-Bit - without any download reset / re-install of the SuperSuit files (also added this info to a bug report).

OK, thanks for noting this. You are on Lion, though, right, 10.7x? I'm on Mountain Lion or Snow Lion -- something, but 10.8.1.

edited December 1969

"Genesis- with many advancements i don’t see many Parameter Options for this praised thing, i would have liked to seen more things from start."

Well, for me, I see many things in the Shaping tab on the left side of the work window. There are lots of picture icons for shapes and sizes. And the Surfaces tab, which is also over there, makes it easy to adjust shaders, colors, etc.

• edited December 1969

inquire said:
    "Genesis- with many advancements i don’t see many Parameter Options for this praised thing, i would have liked to seen more things from start."

Well, for me, I see many things in the Shaping tab on the left side of the work window. There are lots of picture icons for shapes and sizes. And the Surfaces tab, which is also over there, makes it easy to adjust shaders, colors, etc.

Referring to Shaping it self, with as many characters that Daz has made in the past i was hoping to see more then the "Basic run of the mill start"

i know Daz is free and so are many of the characters, and that they sell extra Shaping Parameters as a way to make a profit. but just this once i was hoping to see just a little more from the Basic Start.

• vic34677vic34677 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

i got a question? what is going on with the backdrop? it dosen't fill the screen anymore just a small box way in the back? i use the backdrop function alot for things out side windows that i don't a shadow to fall on . now i got to try to put some find a enviroment in that tries to cast a shadow. is there a way to pu daz back to the old daz4 setup?

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    edited December 1969

vic34677 said:
    i got a question? what is going on with the backdrop? it dosen't fill the screen anymore just a small box way in the back? i use the backdrop function alot for things out side windows that i don't a shadow to fall on . now i got to try to put some find a enviroment in that tries to cast a shadow.

Possible workaround to get a background that doesn't have problems with shadows: Put the image in the ambient channel of a plane primitive.
    *Note: I haven't tested this yet, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

• clarke_af31e2e15dclarke_af31e2e15d Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

inquire said:
    Gee, the bugs and things you may or may not experience seem to me to depend a lot on what OS you are using, such as Windows or Macintosh, then, since I'm a Macintosh user, I'll continue with the example as Mac, is it OS X 10.5. 10.7x, 10.8, 10.8.1? Any of these might create or remove problems.

I'm running Vista on one machine and OSX 10.7 on another.

What bugs are you seeing on the Mac?

edited December 1969

clarke said:
    inquire said:

I'm running Vista on one machine and OSX 10.7 on another.

What bugs are you seeing on the Mac?

Well, actually DS 4.5 is running pretty well in OS 10.8.1. The Content Pane is not working, and some of the shader presets do not load. A test freebie that I had for Genesis hair stopped working in 4.5, but did work in 4.x. But, I was just saying that the OS and its particular version can make a difference in what bugs you may see. Oh, Dynamic Clothing is quirky.

• Harry OminousHarry Ominous Posts: 58
    edited December 1969

You ARE going to want to get DAZ Studio 4.5!

hey, guess what... i AREN'T

admittedly i've downloaded it (and, as a side rant, when are you people going to learn to separate out program and data? the number of times people have complained about this very thing, but yet again we have a download which is needlessly bloated by including genesis stuff in the same file as the far smaller exe installer. i pity anyone on dial-up)... but i'm not going to install it. for a while yet, and maybe never

why? well, because i'm actually using DS, for a project at the present, and that project relies on being able to use add-ins. and i'm going to have to wait for those add-ins to be updated

if they ever are. i USED to rely on mr dreamboat's LDP2 (still in the store, being flogged at $25, even though it doesn't work in anything after DS3). perhaps that will be updated now? kidding, i'm sure it won't. but there's other stuff that i need. how do i KNOW it will ever be updated? well, i don't, of course. there's no reason for a vendor to update their products if they don't want to. most will, of course, but for us poor long-suffering customers there's no certainty. so, i'll wait and see. i've got a reasonably stable product installed at the moment which i can actually use

why would i want to lose that on the promise of something that may, or may not, deliver a few small improvements, and which i won't be able to use in any meaningful fashion at present?

to be honest, buying add-ins (although pretty much a necessity if you're in any way serious about 3d and happen to use DS as your app of choice), is a mug's game. the DS software is very poorly designed in that regard, but i would imagine it's so deeply ingrained that it would be impossible to do anything about, so vendors have to recompile their products every time there's a new release of DS, and customers have to faff about re-downloading and re-installing them. i can guarantee the same thing will happen when they bring out DS5, as they surely will. still, it will be free, so can't complain

it WILL be free, won't it? yeah, it would have to be. nobody's ever going to be foolish enough to BUY DS again, now are they?

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

LilShippo said:
    Interface- The interface is still very Bulky and Messy looking as it still takes up much of my viewing Scene Space, even the Content area feels bulky

So change it! All the tabs can be rearranged and, to some degree, resized. A few will necessarily take more room due to the way they are now structured in a two column format (Parameters being the prime example), but I was quite quickly able to clone my DS3 layout into DS4.

Loading a Scene i have made in Daz3 took twice as long in 4.5

The .DAZ scene format is now deprecated (you can load old scenes but not save new ones), the replacement .DUF format should be quicker to load.

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

as a side rant, when are you people going to learn to separate out program and data? the number of times people have complained about this very thing, but yet again we have a download which is needlessly bloated by including genesis stuff in the same file as the far smaller exe installer. i pity anyone on dial-up)... but i'm not going to install it. for a while yet, and maybe never

The data has been separated out, as you'll find if you check downloadable content, but the 4.5 installation needs the new content to be installed (when they call it Starter Essentials they do mean Essentials) for this release to get the new Genesis.DUF files into content. Future updates won't require you to download content.

why? well, because i'm actually using DS, for a project at the present, and that project relies on being able to use add-ins. and i'm going to have to wait for those add-ins to be updated

There's no way around this. If DAZ need to update the plugin interface then that is going to require plugin vendors to recompile. That's the nature of plugins, if you want the convenience of plugins, then this is something you need to live with.