Help! Making prop and saving characters?

DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,491
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello,

Once upon a time I knew how to make an obj into a prop.. now I have no memory of it!

My only tools are Daz 3A and Daz 4.5.

I also need to save characters (custom morphs) for V4, M4, and genesis. How do I do this?
It can't just be use morph loader.

Thanks for help.... I'm stumped!!!

:)

Comments

• chrisschellchrisschell Posts: 267
    edited August 2012

There was a free script called Obj2PP2 for Daz Studio... I use it regularily but I'm still using the venerable Daz Studio 2.3 version for it's stability and ease of workflow since I'm so used to it and the Figure Set-up Tools.... Not sure if the Script is still available or if it would work in newer versions of Daz but it's worth a shot...

If you can find it and it works then it's easy from there... load the raw obj and scale/position it... set surfaces/materials/textures... run the script.. prop created!

As for Saving Morphs... again there was a free script for that too... but it would install the morphs directly into the cr2 which could be an issue if you can't redistribute the CR2 that you've modified... the script was called MorphToCR2 and is also one I use regularily...

I think there had been a thread in the old forums here for them... and I may be wrong but I think both scripts at one point were upgraded for DS3 compatability... but can't be certain of that... it's worth a shot though...?

*Edit* Daz here in the market also had a script called Poser Format Exporter... which maybe could be usefull?

Post edited by chrisschell on
    edited December 1969

I forgot... There was also a free program called MorphManager... which could also help with what you need...

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619
    edited December 1969

I've got an issue I think is similar to the original poster's.

I'm using Carrara 7 to create morphs, but I'm running into a problem of the export/import proceedures as I jump from Poser-to-Carrara-and-back. Sometimes, I have to do several intermittant stages of the morph, so there's multiple saves from Carrara to .obj format.

In all of those, I'm running into an annoying problem with the figure size getting changed somewhere along the process. It completely ruins all the work that I've put into creating the morphs!! :-S

Unfortunately, I'm clueless in regards to scripts for this.

Can someone tell me what sort of settings should I be using in the menu screens when exporting from Poser? & more importantly, what settings for Importing/Exporting to/from Carrara?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

edited December 1969

I've got an issue I think is similar to the original poster's.

I'm using Carrara 7 to create morphs, but I'm running into a problem of the export/import proceedures as I jump from Poser-to-Carrara-and-back. Sometimes, I have to do several intermittant stages of the morph, so there's multiple saves from Carrara to .obj format.

In all of those, I'm running into an annoying problem with the figure size getting changed somewhere along the process. It completely ruins all the work that I've put into creating the morphs!! :-S

Unfortunately, I'm clueless in regards to scripts for this.

Can someone tell me what sort of settings should I be using in the menu screens when exporting from Poser? & more importantly, what settings for Importing/Exporting to/from Carrara?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Unfortunately I can't help you there... I've never used Carrara and am not familiar enough with Poser to be able to offer up an advice... my apologies...

edited December 1969

Thanks Chrischell,

I checked my downloads from DAZ & other sites--I noticed you mentioned Poser Format Exporter, I've got that--just don't know how to use it yet.

Also, I have Morph Manager, but I've never been able to get it to work for me as the UI seems to be too different from either Carrara, Poser, DAZ Studio, or Bryce--it's rather frustrating to be so close to being able to have something that's supposed to be perfect for my needs, but can't be used!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have not tested Obj2PP2 in DS4.5Pro yet but it was working in DS4Pro. It works like a charm in DS3A. It's still on the web and a google search finds it every time. I make simple props with it all the time in DS3A.

edited December 1969

Np Ryuu... sorry i can't be of much help...

Morph manager I have used... but mostly to strip out morphs as part of my workflow when working on my own figures... New morphs won't copy into a figure and work properly at times if you don't create a clean file to work from... and conforming clothing can really get screwed up if the figure you're setting up from has imbedded deformers or morphs...

Poser Format Exporter is really usefull for character set-up poses and stuff... Check off the options you want it to record and viola... pose presets, character presets etc... fairly easy to use once you figure out what options save what parameters...

edited August 2012

Jaderail said:
    I have not tested Obj2PP2 in DS4.5Pro yet but it was working in DS4Pro. It works like a charm in DS3A. It's still on the web and a google search finds it every time. I make simple props with it all the time in DS3A.

Ty Jaderail... I wasn't sure if it was still around... my copy is kinda old... lol

I use it to make Smart-propped items regularly... after exporting the prop it's a simple text edit in the PP2 to change it from standard prop to smart... Handy little script that... :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Ty Jaderail... I wasn't sure if it was still around... my copy is kinda old... lol

I use it to make Smart-propped items regularly... after exporting the prop it's a simple text edit in the PP2 to change it from standard prop to smart... Handy little script that... :)Yep, I know that edit trick as well. You might wish to check the web I think the last version is very nice (Obj2PP2).

edited August 2012

I'll have to take a look... only issue I might have is that the new versions of it may not work in the old version of Daz I'm using... I've stuck with Daz 2.3 because i know my way around it and use the old Figure Set-up Tools for figure rigging etc (plus i'm not happy with the new user interfaces and such that the current Daz versions have used... I've been finding them a bit unweildly compared to the older version... not to mention wanting to keep my work open to a wider market than the new file formats use)

I found what works and you know the saying... "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" ;)

edited December 1969

Np Ryuu... sorry i can't be of much help...

Morph manager I have used... but mostly to strip out morphs as part of my workflow when working on my own figures... New morphs won't copy into a figure and work properly at times if you don't create a clean file to work from... and conforming clothing can really get screwed up if the figure you're setting up from has imbedded deformers or morphs...

Poser Format Exporter is really usefull for character set-up poses and stuff... Check off the options you want it to record and viola... pose presets, character presets etc... fairly easy to use once you figure out what options save what parameters...

Thanks anyway.

One thing I found was you can strip out any morphs by simply going to the original figure geometry, so I never needed to use Morph Manager to take any out--my problem was I never figured out how to create morphs using Morph Manager because of the U/I issue. I used Carrara (& Ray Dream Studio) for that.

But for some reason, Carrara 7 started screwing with the size when I imported/exported--earlier versions, didn't seem to have that problem.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited September 2012

The OBJ2PP2 Exporter works just fine for me in DS4.5

3D Model Conversion:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i

Dealing with Zipped Poser content:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/?oqcf29kmigzd3gk

PP2 Exporter for DS3 and DS4: - This is the last version. I have hosted it on my MF account so people dont have to go dig it up from the forum archives.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?3m5gbz5f8bjjgjm

The tutorial for the PFE has been updated to this forum. The link in my sig will no longer go to the old forum archive.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited September 2012

Okay....

after litteraly over a dozen tries, I FINALLY got the proper settings and proceedures for importing objects from Poser to Carrara, doing the work to make the morphs I need, and exporting the result in a way that won't mess up when used in Poser!

Admins! You guys might ought to sticky THIS post! I'm sure it'll come in handy for others having much the same issues as I've had ;-)

When we open Carrara, there are several options for getting .obj figures into the program....but THIS ONE combo works! (there may be other option combinations, but having found this one, sorry, but I'm not looking beyond WHAT WORKS NOW!)

You want to know what I found?

Do you really want to know?

Have I teased you all enough yet? :coolgrin:

Okay...

Here's the situation: You have an idea for a morph you want to create for a figure for use in Poser. Only problem is, Carrara isn't really nice about letting you make one that you can use in Poser! After you've made your morph & saved it, you all too often find to your dismay that when you try using it in Poser, the target morph suddenly makes the body part or figure become gargantuen and/or tiny. (& YES, once, both happened to one of my efforts...the results--were NOT pretty! :sick: )

The Solution:

When you open Carrara, you get the blank field where you have the option of creating a new workplace or opening a preexisting work.

1) Use OPEN...with the explorer list, navigate to the location of the Geometry where your figure is located. Select the *.obj file you want. Don't use a NEW SCENE (whatever the 3 optional sizes) & Import the figure, it'll mess up your efforts!

2) NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT! In the options for opening the file, select "POSER" from the dropdown menu. DON'T use Default! It'll mess up your work!!

3) ANOTHER THING THAT'S IMPORTANT!! When you have selected "Poser", several other options will automatically set themselves---one of which is SCALE (1 Carrara unit = 96.00 Poser units)----SET THIS BACK TO "1.00"!! (& DON'T trust Default's setting as =1.00, it doesn't work!!)

4) Use Vertex Modeler with "Create One Object"--this is not so much important, but chances are, you're already been using this to modify your figures. If all is good, that should not have changed. You should be good to import now...

5) Make your desired changes to the figure. If it's a brand new, full-body change or a morph target for a specific body part, you know the routine by now...

6) NOW THIS IS IMPORTANT AGAIN! VERY IMPORTANT!! Now, when you're ready to save your figure (either from being finished or needing to go to the bathroom/kitchen/bed/place-of-employment/etc), you need to save your work. Use "DEFAULT" for the save setting in the dropdown menu! DON'T use "Poser" here, it WILL mess up all that hard work you've just accomplished!!!

7) Save your newly modified figure--BTW, not so much important, but it does help to remember where you put it....but chances are, you're brain is pretty well fried from all the previous efforts to make a new figure that Carrara's other various save options have so helpfully ruined, so making an effort to recall the location of the new file might be useful to recovering some portion of your sanity....

8) Repeat the above steps if you need to come back to your work (if Step 6 was done because your modifications were interrupted) OR you can proceed to Poser, import your figure/morph target...& voila!...SUCCESS!!!! :coolsmile:

9) Now, got to your psycharatrist/mental-health-professional with samples of your work as documented proof THAT IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE A MORPH FOR A POSER FIGURE USING CARRARA, screaming "YES, I CAN!!" He'll either think you're an Obama supporter & have you committed for life, OR he'll see the work, realize you've been telling the truth all along, & stamp your file "CURED!"*

*--This is no guarantee of which of the two quantum states will result from the decission of your mental-health professional. Your actual results may vary.

(BTW, this post is intended to provide useful information on the issues between Carrara and Poser, and not intended to give or cause offense resulting from any political references...as stated in the disclaimer, "Your actual results may vary"--you might still get committed even if your mental health care provider understands you've been telling the truth about making morphs with Carrara....)
    -----------------

I hope that this post will help someone else out there, who, like me, is not an expert in dealing with these programs. It's been quite frustrating to me that I couldn't find such information burried either in the old forum or here.

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • NeilrNeilr Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

I am working on my first prop with several child objects and the obj2pp2 exporter only exports one of each object type.....for example I have three needles for the speed, tach and fuel, they all use the same model that is merged in three times, yet when I create the prop it only has one of the needles. I have copies and renamed the needles as three different models that are then merged in yet the same result, this also happens with the driver and passenger seats, no matter how I try I cannot get them all in the prop....any help on this would be great, thanks.