AUGUST New Users Contest WIP Thread

1789101113»

Comments

• CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

I know I've already posted my entry, but I was just wondering if I could get a quick clarification on one of the rules. In the rules thread it states:

YOU MAY:
    4. Post your image...publicly once you have completed the final image and submitted it to the Official Contest Thread..
    So, if I'm reading this right, does this mean we can post our entries publicly (such as to my deviantArt gallery) BEFORE the contest ends as long as it's already been submitted to the Entry Thread? Or would such an action still result in a disqualification?
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

We do allow it as long as it is posted to DAZ3D first. We have Date Stamps to prove you uploaded to Daz first. Post to other sites if you wish.

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited August 2012

Well, good luck to all:).

If I may.. a little wisdom, I hope, from 30+ years of being judged showing horses, and judging them.

Everyone has won, already, by having the confidence to enter, and using the tools the contest encouraged.

"Winning" a judged event is intrinsic. The sole true judge of what you do is yourself. If you know you have done your best, are happy with your work, enjoy it visually.. you have "won".

Anything else.. its just opinions :)

I asked an old crusty Texas Judge one day why he didn't place my horse higher in an event I had been winning. He said.. "did you feel there was a standout pattern?" I said no. "Well.. all things being sorta equal... I just didn't like your horse. But.. its only my opinion.. and it only lasts a day"

Never forgot that.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited August 2012

And with that said you still have till Midnight DAZ time on the 30th to get a render submitted.

P.S. And Yes, everyone is a winner in my eyes as well.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • clarke_af31e2e15dclarke_af31e2e15d Posts: 21
    edited August 2012

Hey all,

hoping for some quick feedback. After implementing everyone's feedback a few weeks ago, I submitted the lower image (below) to the contest. Then I went on to learn about volumetric lighting and a little about post-work in Photoshop, so I'm thinking of swapping out my first entry with the top image. Two questions:

1. Is that okay?
    2. What does anyone think of the 2nd image?

Thanks!

girlInApt30_v7.jpg
    800 x 450 - 62K
    girlInApt30_v5.jpg
    800 x 450 - 53K
    Post edited by clarke_af31e2e15d on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited August 2012

clarke, did your images get switched? To me it looks like the top one is the one with volumetric lighting...maybe the forum is playing tricks on you (it's done that to me before). (I see you edited your post) I like the top image better, but not by much. And it was previously posted that while postwork is allowed, the judge(s) prefer non-postworked images. So maybe you're better off keeping your current entry, even if you're allowed to switch them?

They're both very nice...probably can't go wrong with either, actually.

Edited to add: any tutorials or resources you'd recommend for someone interested in learning volumetric lighting? :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited August 2012

Actually what was said was I, Jaderail, prefer a none postworked image. This is not postwork but a New image based on the same scene. The rules do allow you to work on your image and replace it if you decide to do so.

This contest was my Idea, I'm the only one who asked for None Postworked renders. I wished to see what was learned about DOF by looking at a pure render. That is not in the rules, and will not be taken into consideration when the images are judged. Also I will not be a JUDGE for the contest. Everyone and every render has the same chance, postwork or not. I hope that is now clear.

edited December 1969

@dune411412: no problem! Glad you found it useful.

@Jaderail: Thanks for clearing that up. I misread your original post on the topic. Funny how things work out...I noticed a couple of issues in my render that I was thinking of postworking, but as a result of the misunderstanding, I kept playing with it, and I think I've managed to fix them in DS (re-rendering now). :)

There won't be a second entry from me this month, but I have a few unused or unfinished concepts that I might be able to take advantage of in a future contest.

• edited August 2012

Jaderail said:
    ntotor said:
    This is my config, I would gratefully accept tips ...

left uber, right rendering, all I know for moment is that I could lower uber shading rate to 1 or less, that's all ;)

Okay I see two things, your Max Ray Trace Depth is to low try 2 or 4. And two your shading rate should be .5 or .1 for most renders. The lower the better render wise.

Thanks Jaderail render are much better, but far away from what I wanted (My fault for much), so I'm rendering rendering rendering ... ;)

Post edited by niclass10_c04b54aca9 on
    edited December 1969

ntotor said:
    Jaderail said:
    ntotor said:
    This is my config, I would gratefully accept tips ...

left uber, right rendering, all I know for moment is that I could lower uber shading rate to 1 or less, that's all ;)

Okay I see two things, your Max Ray Trace Depth is to low try 2 or 4. And two your shading rate should be .5 or .1 for most renders. The lower the better render wise.

Thanks Jaderail render are much better, but far away from what I wanted (My fault for much), so I'm rendering rendering rendering ... ;)Once you get a good render setting that is when you start playing with the texture settings for your figure. Bump settings and the skin model are the First things I play with. Then test renders are a must.

ANNOUNCEMENT:You still have until midnight Daz time (UTC-07) on the 30th to get a render submitted.

edited December 1969

This will be my entry...unless anyone sees something that needs fixing. :) I changed the female's skin texture back to the one I was originally using (Tamesis WildElf) but gave her a new eye texture (from Chablis), I fixed some pokethrough on her clothes, and I repositioned some of the things and people in the background in order to make better use of the space.

Good work, everyone, and best of luck in the contest! :)

neanderthalmuseum5a.jpg
    800 x 800 - 401K
  • Dmj0024Dmj0024 Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

Really nice renders! :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Dmj0024 said:
    Really nice renders! :)

I have moved your comment into the WIP thread as the Contest thread is only for the finished renders to allow the Judges to view then without any extra comments.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,349
    edited December 1969

This is the last day for submissions so make sure you post your image to the contest thread.

• CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

For some odd reason this morning, I decided I'd try to put together a second entry. Yeah, I started working on this one the very last day the contest is open.

Anyways, suggestions welcome, but due to time constraints, I may or may not be able to make use of them before I submit to the entry thread.

Just_a_Small_Town_Girl.jpg
    600 x 800 - 243K
    edited August 2012

Okay people The contest has been closed and the Voting has been Set up. I will post the winners and PM them as soon as we have the votes in. Please give it a couple of days. This is a holiday weekend in the States it might be a few days before we have all the votes.

• GothyLoxGothyLox Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My DOF isn't working for me. I'm using 4.5 pro, and I can't seem to get it to work. The settings seem right, but it just won't render that way. Is there anyone that can help me out?!

12-26-12.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 524K
    DOF_problem.jpg
    1277 x 711 - 335K
  • BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My DOF isn't working for me. I'm using 4.5 pro, and I can't seem to get it to work. The settings seem right, but it just won't render that way. Is there anyone that can help me out?!

DOF doesn't work with a backdrop. You need background stuff in the scene itself.

• GothyLoxGothyLox Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

BWSman said:

DOF doesn't work with a backdrop. You need background stuff in the scene itself.

Ok, I tried adding some trees, and things between the character and the backdrop, rendered it, and still, no DOF. It's supposed to focus more on her, to where her fingers/arm fades to a focus on her face, and then blur back out. I used to work in DS3, and never had a problem. Ever since I finally broke down and switched to DS4.5, I haven't been able to get DOF to work properly. :shut:

Post edited by GothyLox on