Star Trek Builders Thread!

Comments

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Your welcome! :)

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,251
    edited December 1969

I've been feeling a bit creatively stifled lately, I don't know how often others feel that way. The set dressing I did gave me an idea to try and kitbash some more sets and I thought "What would the operations center of a large TOS era space station look like?" Here's what I've got so far.

Ops.jpg
    800 x 800 - 134K
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    I've been feeling a bit creatively stifled lately, I don't know how often others feel that way. The set dressing I did gave me an idea to try and kitbash some more sets and I thought "What would the operations center of a large TOS era space station look like?" Here's what I've got so far.

Looks intresting so far.

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

What's a good program to use to make comic pages?

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,047
    edited December 1969

I use comic life. I think the version I use is 1.3. Though they do have version 2. Bout the time version 2 came out I was more than halfway into my comic. I tried using version 2 but it did something wacky with the spacing of the font I was using. Could've been something in the file that it didnt like since it was from a previous version.

David

edited December 1969

I use comic life. I think the version I use is 1.3. Though they do have version 2. Bout the time version 2 came out I was more than halfway into my comic. I tried using version 2 but it did something wacky with the spacing of the font I was using. Could've been something in the file that it didnt like since it was from a previous version.

David

Or, you can do like I do and design your own layout as you go along. I use Photoshop Elements 10 to do Nova Trek.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,047
    edited December 1969

I find that comic life saves me time and it's pretty cheap.

David

edited December 1969

David

It doesn't take me long to position the panels once they're rendered. It's gathering the characters and buiilding the sets that takes so long.

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

awesome work on the Akira class - Thanks Mattymanx

I used it here : http://mototsume.deviantart.com/art/USS-Kusanagi-new-model-323938579?

edited December 1969

the stations need monitors, but it's getting there

OPS2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 212K
  • edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Comming Soon...

Oh, yes, she renders stunningly. No post-render issues or problems. Loads straight out of the gate and works wonderfully.

(pre-render, has the usual missing panels, but as others have said, I can live with that, as long as it doesn't screw the render.)

Works perfectly in Daz Studio 4, too.

Amazing work, Matty. :)

• wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

David

Ditto, especially now with an iPad version, it's even easier finding spare time to use it.

Walt Sterdan

• crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

coming home

coming_home.jpg
    1115 x 750 - 117K
    edited December 1969

I think 6 Space Traffic Control stations may be too many.

My story behind this station is that Star Fleet would use stock components when things were needed in a hurry, so the saucer section of the Constitution class is being used as the central hub of the space station because of it's arrangement of living quarters and amenities. It would be augmented with a docking array, repair facilities and reactor core.

Ops4.jpg
    800 x 800 - 339K
  • edited December 1969

TimG said:

My story behind this station is that Star Fleet would use stock components when things were needed in a hurry, so the saucer section of the Constitution class is being used as the central hub of the space station because of it's arrangement of living quarters and amenities. It would be augmented with a docking array, repair facilities and reactor core.

Six stations is not out of line for a station control center, though they would not necessarily all be traffic control. I would lay them out as

2 Traffic Controllers (Inbound and Outbound), 1 Communications, 1 Station Physical Engineering (Station Maintenance), 1 Station Environmental Engineering (Atmosphere, Food, and Water), and 1 Station Logisitcs Control (Inbound/Outbaound cargo, storage and accounting of supplies, Personnel services, etc).

edited December 1969

Starwulf said:
    TimG said:

Six stations is not out of line for a station control center, though they would not necessarily all be traffic control. I would lay them out as

2 Traffic Controllers (Inbound and Outbound), 1 Communications, 1 Station Physical Engineering (Station Maintenance), 1 Station Environmental Engineering (Atmosphere, Food, and Water), and 1 Station Logisitcs Control (Inbound/Outbaound cargo, storage and accounting of supplies, Personnel services, etc).

I was going to have "the pit" be the space traffic controllers, and then the outer bridge stations be the other services.

What I thinking now is have 4 stations in the pit, dividing the docking array into 4 quadrants - one station for each.

edited December 1969

I looked at the Defiant model that shows up brown in Poser and it does appear to be flipped normals. However, if you flip the normals it screws up the mapping and the ship would have to be remapped. So, I am going to remove it from the list and from F3D. I did find another Defiant model that is a much higher quality and will look great. Just dont know when I will convert it.

edited December 1969

I need to customize display screens and add more chairs, but I'm liking this so far. I'm thinking that the station administrator's office is going to be in the area where the main view screen would normally be, using the extra space area behind.

OPS5.jpg
    800 x 800 - 324K
  • DemonslayerDemonslayer Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

I like what you're doing, Tim. :)

My 2 cents though, the 6 station one looks cooler than the 4 station one. Keep in mind, there would be a lot more need for communications officers on a station of that size, and I might suggest that you consider that. From a 'helpdesk' standpoint, the more personnel you have to handle such things, the better.

Ken :)

• DemonslayerDemonslayer Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

I really dig this version. :)

edited December 1969

crownlion said:
    coming home

Looks good. That looks like a Celestia pic you're using for the background. Is it ?

edited December 1969

yes it is Celestia trying out some diffrent things with it.

edited December 1969

crownlion said:
    yes it is Celestia trying out some diffrent things with it.

If they work pass 'em along. :-)

edited December 1969

Okay, here's what I've come up with for Movie-era computer units. The monitors and wall detailing are inspired by the dilthium chamber in WOK. I improvised the rest. Now I just have to design the room they go in.

Comp-Core-units--Movie-Era-.jpg
    900 x 616 - 196K
    edited December 1969

Star Trek: Insurrection (planet Ba'ku from Celestia)

Celestia.jpg
    1115 x 750 - 194K
    edited December 1969

crownlion said:
    Star Trek: Insurrection (planet Ba'ku from Celestia)

I think someone's starting to have fun!

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Okay, here's what I've come up with for Movie-era computer units. The monitors and wall detailing are inspired by the dilthium chamber in WOK. I improvised the rest. Now I just have to design the room they go in.

Oh I like those! :-)

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Oh I like those! :-)

Thank you.

edited August 2012

The Starship Fonts are done. I am going to upload them to F3D soon so hopefully they be available later today.

EDIT:

The Star Ship Fonts have been uploaded to F3D. Hopefully they will be available in a few hours.

The Eagle Class from Trekmeshes has been converted and uploaded there. Hopefully it will be available soon.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
This discussion has been closed.