when will daz leave optitex and move to Marvelousdesigner? and make it possible daz users can create

creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

when will daz finally leave optitex and move on to Marvelousdesigner? that make it possible daz users can create clothes

Comments

• MedzinMedzin Posts: 337
    edited December 1969

I don't think you even have a clue as to what Marvelous Designer does, otherwise you wouldn't ask such a question

• creativemodelsbecreativemodelsbe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Medzin said:
    I don't think you even have a clue as to what Marvelous Designer does, otherwise you wouldn't ask such a question

yes MD is dynamic cloth creator studio.
    a tool we need for dazstudio.
    optitex have no cloth creator with reasonable price for the hobby market.

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

You can use MD to make clothes for Daz Studio, you just can't make them dynamic.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796
    edited December 1969

I do not have Marvelous designer but I do believe you can export a series obj's along the timeline to use as morph targets using one of casual's scripts working somewhat the same way dyntomorphs python script does it with Poser dynamic animations.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

DAZ has no say in if a third party like Marvelousdesigner wants to create a plugin for studio that would use their created cloth. I heard at one point that they were delayed because of the studio 4 SDK and then theoretically the 4.5 SDK. It also may depend on if they believe they will sell enough to offset their cost creating the plug in.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

When MD3 is ready, some daz plugin would be available.
    not sure if it would be useful to have, daz first need to solve faster render and animation engine
    before dynamics can be easy used.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited August 2012

Deleted-wrong thread

Post edited by RKane_1 on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

What would be better is the ability to make any cloth dynamic. I realize that OptiTex and MD methods have their advantage but you are limited to whatever people make from those instead of having the ability to be more creative with everything you have.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    What would be better is the ability to make any cloth dynamic. I realize that OptiTex and MD methods have their advantage but you are limited to whatever people make from those instead of having the ability to be more creative with everything you have.

Ditto this.

I love DAZ Studio, and I adore Genesis (and sell for it), but this is a major shortcoming compared to Poser. I'd like to see DAZ dynamics as free and easy as that, where any welded obj can be simmed, instead of my having to manually edit, sim and export my custom obj in Poser or Blender before I can use it in DS4. It'd be worth the price of a $50+ plugin to me to have that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel that way.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Ditto this.

I love DAZ Studio, and I adore Genesis (and sell for it), but this is a major shortcoming compared to Poser. I'd like to see DAZ dynamics as free and easy as that, where any welded obj can be simmed, instead of my having to manually edit, sim and export my custom obj in Poser or Blender before I can use it in DS4. It'd be worth the price of a $50+ plugin to me to have that, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to feel that way.

Then we should rather ask for bullet physics integretion and also particles would be good

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited August 2012

Just out of curiosity... Because I have NO IDEA lol... What plug-in and or Program is THE THING to use when constructing clothing for genesis? I imagine it's something rather complex for your average 3d renderer person. If I could develop the knowledge and skill, I think it would be a great skill to have. Thus I envy you clothing masters lol

I do allot of concept design artworks, via digital painting (and set construction experience in 3ds Max), But never had the knowledge to actually create the costumes for figures (eg. Genesis) in a 3d environment.

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited August 2012

Mattymanx said:

Ditto this.

I'm a fan of Optitex dynamics, I can get results in a still drape that apparently take Poser dynamics an animation to achieve, and I think the flexibility in editing material properties by material group offers a closer simulation of cloth than generic soft body physics does, but I'd still like to be able to do exactly what everyone else is saying. The ideal dynamics engine would combine the abilities of the Optitex engine with universal applicability. (Of course with a substantial investment in Optitex clothing, any development needs to offer me a way ahead that doesn't render those useless).

Post edited by DWG on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

You do realize you can't just take clothes from marvelous designer and use them on you figures in studio, right?
    Also optitex is dynamic clothing, if DAZ dropped it you would lose you dynamic clothing. DAZ doesn't make the plugin, DAZ doesn't make the clothes.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

You can take the clothes you have made in MD, as obj files, group them and rig them and they will work as conforming clothes in Daz.

I have done it.:-)

edited December 1969

Just out of curiosity... Because I have NO IDEA lol... What plug-in and or Program is THE THING to use when constructing clothing for genesis? I imagine it's something rather complex for your average 3d renderer person. If I could develop the knowledge and skill, I think it would be a great skill to have. Thus I envy you clothing masters lol

I do allot of concept design artworks, via digital painting (and set construction experience in 3ds Max), But never had the knowledge to actually create the costumes for figures (eg. Genesis) in a 3d environment.

DAZ Studio 4's Content Creator Tools. The Transfer Utility is practically a "make clothes" button. You can then tweak rigging in the building room, but some people don't even bother with that part (the utility has templates for pants, shirt, skirt, etc.). The B25 rigging kit provides some good skirt handles if you really want smooth iteration between thighs/shins, and it's been on sale lately.

But as for the actual creation of the obj that you put through the CCT - there's no THE THING on that. You could do it in 3ds Max, and that's not a bad solution if you're already familiar with it and have a commercial license. Other people do it in Hexagon, Modo or Maya. I use Blender, because it's free and I was trained in it and am comfortable with it, but I'm a crazy person.

The most important things to remember when creating your obj are these:

1. Don't bevel edges. Smoothing and collision cannot handle two or more verts occupying the same space. Bevel and then smooth to prevent errors at hems. If your rigged item crashes the program when smoothing is turned on, this is probably what you did.

2. Use separate submeshes judiciously. They, too, will be problematic with smoothing, not for crashing but for tending to scrunch up, peel or 'drift" away from the main garment. When possible, weld everything and use material zones to distinguish different areas. I do real buttons on my items, but I also do a lot of extra morphs to make them work.

3. Don't clip the body if you can avoid it. With Gen 4 items you could pass geometry right through the figure if that was useful on a clothing item. With Genesis it will be "pushed" out to the figure's surface by the collision. If you do jewelry, do earrings as smartprops, or don't add a smoothing modifier to them.

4. Unless your item is very hi rez, you need denser polygons in the chest and crotch areas, the former for when Genesis is morphed to females and the latter for smooth bending. If transfer utility gives you pants with a giant weird bulge there when doing splits, add more edge loops. The bigger the female breast you want to support, the more polys are needed (Iconic Girl 4 is very demanding of autofit clothing items, for instance).

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Wow thanks so much sickle! If you dont mind I'll copy and paste this into a word document for personal reference :cheese:

I'll start playing around with clothing now... might be able to create the concept costumes after all! Again - you are a legend :-)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    You can take the clothes you have made in MD, as obj files, group them and rig them and they will work as conforming clothes in Daz.

I have done it.:-)

That is what I mean, you can't just drop them in and use them. They have to be made in to conforming clothes first.

edited December 1969

Wow thanks so much sickle! If you dont mind I'll copy and paste this into a word document for personal reference :cheese:

I'll start playing around with clothing now... might be able to create the concept costumes after all! Again - you are a legend :-)

You're welcome! :-) I don't mind at all.