SUPPORT THE DEMAND FOR DAVID 5

RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
edited October 2012 in The Commons

As most of you probably already know by now, I am in the process of raising a little hell to ensure that DAZ 3D gives unto us a 5th Generation Iconic Shape for David. I have already created awareness of this in my General Gen 5 Iconic Character Thread, but this definitely requires to have its own spotlight if this enough attention and be even remotely effective.

As all of us who work with 3D human characters should know, David is a Millennium Male and complimentary brother figure to DAZ’s famous leading male model, Michael in the equivalent regard to the way Stephanie’s petite frame is to Victoria. Created by DAZ Community legend, MallenLane, in Generation 3 for DAZ Studio, David is a lean, pectoral “Real World” male as an alternative to the idealized, or rather, stocky structure to Michael. However, despite his well-positive reception and content support, David, like certain other figures by MallenLane, was not crossed over to Generation 4; this was all especially despite the fact that DAZ officials themselves promised such updates of the full Millennium Family roster. The cruel wound of disappointment was salted when Stephanie 4 was revealed as an Elite character for Victoria 4 with extra proportional parameters and unimesh support, including that of a teenager, yet this treatment would be deprived from the male side. It was eventually explained by both DAZ team members and MallenLane himself that the reason why there was no David 4 was due to personal feelings that Michael 4 had enough intermediate support that such a figure was not necessary.

Now that the latest version of Stephanie is upon us with the technological advancement of Genesis, the time has come to remind DAZ that, because of this very fact, is why it is more important now than ever that Genesis really does need to have as much option and versatility as possible. Not only that, but with DAZ's new DSON Importer to Poser, this scenario has become relevant to the SmithMicro Community interested in investing in Genesis/Generation 5.

This is why I humbly ask as many of you as I can to participate in this demand and sign the following petition I constructed to help get DAZ to comply with this request. All signatures, from what I understand from Change.Org, the host of the petition generator used, are secure:

DAZ 3D: Create a Generation 5 David Iconic Shape

Also, if desired, you can don this self-made banner in your signature to openly show your patronage to, not only the cause, but to how you would be very much willing to invest in such a product:

SUPPORT DAVID 5 BANNER

Thank you all very much! With your help I sincerely hope that our favorite lean “Real World” brother finds his way back home with the rest of the Millennium Family where he rightfully belongs.

Post edited by RCDeschene on

Comments

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Hey you got my support

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

Hey you got my support

Care to sign the petition, then? :)
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882
    edited December 1969

Signed. :)

I hope you can forgive me not adding the banner, though. I've already got one and I'm not a fan of huge sig lines.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

same

• MorpheonMorpheon Posts: 738
    edited December 1969

I'm in favor of anything that gives me a wider variety of options, especially realistic options.

• edited December 1969

I don't even use Genesis, and I want to see this happen. I wanted a David 4, fer chrissakes! There was such a range of figures in Gen 3, and I don't think we got quite half of them in Gen 4. If I have to use 4.5 and Genesis to get a new David figure, then by god, that's what I'll do... If we can get a David 5, that is...

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Here's what I posted in the petition:

"David needs to be made. Plain and simple. He is a complimentary figure to Michael as Stephanie is to Victoria and offers a more realistic version of a young male than does Michael. Make it, and money will appear. I guarantee it. Make a David 4 for Poser users as well, and you will have a happy crowd indeed."

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Supportive, but not signing (I'm not handing over my IRL contact info for that, sorry).

I can't imagine this won't happen. Genesis is all things to all people. When 3rd party figures can find real support and an audience, there is clear and obvious market room for more diverse male support from DAZ itself.

• AlexLOAlexLO Posts: 193
    edited December 1969

Signed on with the following thoughts:
    "The main thrust of Genesis, is variety & diversity. We've seen the technology allow for support for a number of legacy shapes & figures within this forward thinking system. Just as Stephanie has made her way into the "Gene Pool" not once but twice as legacy Gen4 & now version 5 for Genesis, I think the same courtesy should be extended to the male gender. Just as not every woman is an Amazonian supermodel, not every man is "Superman" in stature & proportion. Keep the ball of progress moving forward & integrate the same real world scan diversity you have brought the community with Stephanie 5 with David for Genesis. I'll be first in line to add this to my shape library, along with many others."

edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    Here's what I posted in the petition:

"David needs to be made. Plain and simple. He is a complimentary figure to Michael as Stephanie is to Victoria and offers a more realistic version of a young male than does Michael. Make it, and money will appear. I guarantee it. Make a David 4 for Poser users as well, and you will have a happy crowd indeed."

Honestly, I suggested that as well. It's evident with the V4 & M4 Pro Suites that DAZ still acknowledges support for Gen 4, especially with the Poser Community's uncomfortable view of Genesis. So to see a D4 would definitely make the company more money from them again. However, according to team members, there's something going on with Genesis that they claim will make Poser users very happy.

But wow! I'm REALLY liking what I'm seeing. You guys are actually giving far better reasons than what I'm pitching! Keep it up! :)

• bohemian3bohemian3 Posts: 1,026
    edited December 1969

Got my signature! Yes to David.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited August 2012

Signed the D5 petition. I have an alternate idea, though…in case DAZ has already ruled out putting in the effort necessary to create a “base” D5 to go along with V5, M5, and S5 (and to reiterate, I do hope to see a new iconic D5 like this), in my opinion the next best thing would be for DAZ to commission one or two of their talented PAs to create a “David for M5 and M4” character that would include at minimum:

* a David elite texture set based on M4 UV maps
    * a David body shape for Genesis, based at least partially on M5
    * a David head shape for Genesis (or better yet, several)
    * a David head INJ/REM for M4
    * a David Morphs++ body INJ/REM for M4

Judging from the comments here so far, I think there's still a good amount of demand for a 4th Generation David, and this would kind of kill two birds with one stone. How does that sound?

Other features I’d like to see in a new David:

* a David Athletic additive body shape, adding a little height, shoulder width, and muscle definition (but not to the extent of M5 Heroic)...perhaps modeled on Michelangelo’s David
    * several alternate heads
    * several texture options for body/facial hair, eye colors, etc.
    * a alternate, younger version of the body shape

Basically I’d like to either see a younger, leaner M5…or a “David-like” character combining the best elements of products like Doyle for M5 and M4, Ashley for M5, and David 3 for Genesis, with a new elite texture.

Oh, thanks for putting this on change.org. At first I thought that decision was a little strange, but after signing I found a bunch of other stuff there that I was happy to add my support to, so I'm glad you did.

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,243
    edited December 1969

add me in for a David 5

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Signed from a link provided in another link. I don't mind my IRL being out there. I sign political petitions all the time and find for the most part my information stays safe enough. If Big Brother really wanted to contact you, trust me they already know about you! lol.

One point I don't care for Scott's list is

No way, I want David to stand alone. I HATE having to dial up another morph to get a full morph. David should be David, not a mix of other morphs to make him. YUK!

Other than that I like the list Scott. DAZ I hope your listening folks. You wanna make money, then provide! Keep pushing the girly stuff, starve! Thanks!

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Supportive, but not signing (I'm not handing over my IRL contact info for that, sorry).

I can't imagine this won't happen. Genesis is all things to all people. When 3rd party figures can find real support and an audience, there is clear and obvious market room for more diverse male support from DAZ itself.

I didn't like the whole address thing either... I wrote Disclosed.

For the record, It wouldn't surprise me if D5 is already made and waiting for the next release. Unfortunately, there must be a cooling off period since S5 was just released. At least from a business point of view, that would be the way of Daz's thinking... Which I do understand to some point.

edited August 2012

@RAMWolff: The D5-based-on-M5 thing was part of my alternate idea (a new David character in lieu of an iconic D5). I'd agree that a stand-alone iconic D5 would be better. :)

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Signed from a link provided in another link. I don't mind my IRL being out there. I sign political petitions all the time and find for the most part my information stays safe enough. If Big Brother really wanted to contact you, trust me they already know about you! lol.

No way, I want David to stand alone. I HATE having to dial up another morph to get a full morph. David should be David, not a mix of other morphs to make him. YUK!

Other than that I like the list Scott. DAZ I hope your listening folks. You wanna make money, then provide! Keep pushing the girly stuff, starve! Thanks!

To some extent I also agree with this statement... David 5 really shouldn't be an imitation at all of M5... We already have M5 and the concept of David as a whole is to be a younger, less developed than M5 and shorter in stature.

While S5 is definitely beautiful, (and I'm sure some would disagree with me), She seems very much in likeness to V5, for me I felt she was another variant of V5 to co exist as one of her character expansions. Just my opinion, I am in no way intending to give the S5 a bad name.

- Both S5 and D5 should be the canvas for our seemingly missing younger characters, something more usable for older teen characters for example :) For Me in terms of S5, Reby Sky was much more filling for this requirement.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited December 1969

Isn't there already a genesis morph for David with several faces included?

edited August 2012

Yes, this is true. And if you're arguing that D5 isn't necessary, technically I think you're right: using existing morphs and textures we can make our own Davids with Genesis (as I've done here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/8017/), without the need for any additional versions by DAZ. But that misses the point.

After all, we already had Victoria, Michael, and Stephanie shapes for Genesis before the release of V5, M5, and S5--so you could similarly argue that new versions of these characters were unnecessary. But they were clearly wanted, they've clearly been successful*, they were certainly well-made, and they've greatly expanded the possibilities for Genesis character creation. D5 would do the same.

David 3 for Genesis is a very nice product, though...especially considering those extra faces. :) He's infinitely better than no David at all. http://www.daz3d.com/shop/david-3-for-genesis

*well, it's probably too early to tell as far as the success of S5 is concerned.

edited August 2012

RAMWolff said:

To some extent I also agree with this statement... David 5 really shouldn't be an imitation at all of M5... We already have M5 and the concept of David as a whole is to be a younger, less developed than M5 and shorter in stature.

While S5 is definitely beautiful, (and I'm sure some would disagree with me), She seems very much in likeness to V5, for me I felt she was another variant of V5 to co exist as one of her character expansions. Just my opinion, I am in no way intending to give the S5 a bad name.

- Both S5 and D5 should be the canvas for our seemingly missing younger characters, something more usable for older teen characters for example :) For Me in terms of S5, Reby Sky was much more filling for this requirement.

Exactly. I was JUST about to point that out myself. Stephanie has always had similar appearances to Victoria since her debut in Gen 2. I can personally attest the same for David & Michael 3. There were plenty times when I saw M3 with Wedge Cut Hair that I honestly mistook him for David.

That's right. As a matter of fact, if you look at the image I have, not only on the first page, but in my signature, it's the Genesis Shape promotional image that I shopped black & white. ;) But as Scott-Livingston explained, that's not the point.

edited December 1969

Its David 3!!! We need D5 Upgrade especially since they skipped him in gen 4

edited September 2012

Hey guys! I am now spreading the word on over at Renderocity!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2855729

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,540
    edited December 1969

I always liked David.

• alkenalken Posts: 253
    edited December 1969

Count me in--I'd love a new David!

• BCManBCMan Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Signed.

I want the David 5 too :)

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited September 2012

For simple continuity if you have a Stephanie 5 you have to have a David 5. It is my firm belief that a figure/shape should have a matching opposite gender counterpart. I am beginning to come around to the idea that is would be wise to update all of DAZ's classic figures to Generation 5 Genesis shape. It would probably be less confusing to many of the newbies, if a product has a 'Gen 5' in the name they know it is for Genesis.

Post edited by jestmart on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...I wish there was the same passion expressed for David4. When Steph4 was released there was a lot of hope, but then Genesis stole the show.

Steph4 made a great "Laura4" with the special morphs she had. Unfortunately without D4, there could be no "Luke4".

edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    For simple continuity if you have a Stephanie 5 you have to have a David 5. It is my firm belief that a figure/shape should have a matching opposite gender counterpart. I am beginning to come around to the idea that is would be wise to update all of DAZ's classic figures to Generation 5 Genesis shape. It would probably be less confusing to many of the newbies, if a product has a 'Gen 5' in the name they know it is for Genesis.
    Absolutely! That's one of the whole reasons what attracted me to DAZ after a friend of mine introduced me to it. Anything with a duality is appealing to me. Usually when I play around with Aiko & Hiro, I ship them as twins. For the longest time I was reluctant to warm up to Vicky & Mike because they were just too thick or stocky for my tastes, then I found out about Steph & Dave... :)

...I wish there was the same passion expressed for David4. When Steph4 was released there was a lot of hope, but then Genesis stole the show.

Steph4 made a great "Laura4" with the special morphs she had. Unfortunately without D4, there could be no "Luke4".

No kidding! Trust me, I made that, among other things perfectly clear to MallenLane in a rather unhappy PM after the D3 Genesis Shape was released. That's how I found out about how he felt like D4 wasn't needed.

Hopefully this time around him and DAZ won't make that same mistake.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...unfortunately, I still work with the Gen4 figures so D5 is kind of moot. Most likely Daz will come around and release him as they are so hot about pushing Genesis.

When I rebuilt my Steph4 based LeelaTeen in PP2010, I was amazed and thrilled at how perfect she looked compared to the DazStudio version. As there is and never will be a David4, I cannot get the same results for a male teen character.

• murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,436
    edited December 1969

I'd buy a D5, especially if he's at least a little bit shorter than the average American adult male. (That, by the way, would be a first for Daz.)