• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

I guess in the 26th century those letters are dropped

• edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    Mattymanx said:
    The Enterprise Refit has been updated.

The ship no longer glows in the dark in Poser when you load it up.

As for the flipped normals, I dont see it in renders for Poser 8 since all surfaces are set to render normals forward. Same with a couple others I had look at it. Lordiffy, who first pointed it out, does see the flipped normals when rendered in PP 2012. I am not sure why some people see it when rendered and others do not.

Also, the Klingon K'Tinga has been updated and is back online. DS4 should no longer crash when rendering. It was once again an issue with PNG files.

Yeah, I have no idea why some versions of Poser do this with some of Matty's awesome conversions. I tried the Ent-A out on both Poser 8, and Poser Pro 2012 SR3 (making sure all normals were forward) , and still have the same issues as shown by Mdbruffy.

Personally I'm thinking it could be due to the source mesh/texture settings, and not the conversion, as some of Matty's other conversions (especially all the newer ones) work perfectly, whilst others have the missing segments issue.

However, they all work perfectly in Daz.

*Update*

Upon looking at Ent-A and other models that have this issue, the missing pieces do fit with the mesh lines, when viewed in flat or smooth lined view. So, I am guessing some texturing issue on the original mesh, or some other hiccup that seems to irk certain versions of Poser.
    As Daz doesn't seem to have an issue, I'm leaning towards Poser getting befuddled by it.

I have this same issue with models (mostly lwo) converted in Poseray. The models will display the same issues, and sometimes have even larger chunks of texture missing that Poser will not allow the materials room to rectify.

Okay, new file. The holes are there- pre-render. But since they don't show up post-render, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.
    New question: How do I give her the same metalic look she had in TMP?

Wish I could get it to render for me. The holes are there, pre and post render, for some bizarre reason. On some of the other models, the holes are only there, pre-render, and only fill in, post-render (though the areas that have the holes, do appear darker than the other parts.)
    I've even deleted the model, completely, done a fresh download, and the issue persists.
    Guessing my copy of Poser is being screwy.

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

As for the flipped normals, I dont see it in renders for Poser 8 since all surfaces are set to render normals forward. Same with a couple others I had look at it. Lordiffy, who first pointed it out, does see the flipped normals when rendered in PP 2012. I am not sure why some people see it when rendered and others do not.

Also, the Klingon K'Tinga has been updated and is back online. DS4 should no longer crash when rendering. It was once again an issue with PNG files.

Yeah, I have no idea why some versions of Poser do this with some of Matty's awesome conversions. I tried the Ent-A out on both Poser 8, and Poser Pro 2012 SR3 (making sure all normals were forward) , and still have the same issues as shown by Mdbruffy.

Personally I'm thinking it could be due to the source mesh/texture settings, and not the conversion, as some of Matty's other conversions (especially all the newer ones) work perfectly, whilst others have the missing segments issue.

*Update*

Upon looking at Ent-A and other models that have this issue, the missing pieces do fit with the mesh lines, when viewed in flat or smooth lined view. So, I am guessing some texturing issue on the original mesh, or some other hiccup that seems to irk certain versions of Poser.
    As Daz doesn't seem to have an issue, I'm leaning towards Poser getting befuddled by it.

I have this same issue with models (mostly lwo) converted in Poseray. The models will display the same issues, and sometimes have even larger chunks of texture missing that Poser will not allow the materials room to rectify.

Okay, new file. The holes are there- pre-render. But since they don't show up post-render, I'm not going to worry about it anymore.

Wish I could get it to render for me. The holes are there, pre and post render, for some bizarre reason. On some of the other models, the holes are only there, pre-render, and only fill in, post-render (though the areas that have the holes, do appear darker than the other parts.)
    I've even deleted the model, completely, done a fresh download, and the issue persists.

Which verison do you have? I'm using P9.

• edited August 2012

mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

*Update*

I have tried using Poser 8 and Poser Pro 2012 SR.3

I've redownloaded the files, and seeing if there was somehow, one random old file that was still left in my runtime folders, that may be causing the issue.

UPDATE
    I've redownloaded the files, and seeing if there was somehow, one random old file that was still left in my runtime folders, that may be causing the issue.

Okay, I found there was an old Geometries file that had somehow wound up in the program files folder, rather than the my documents folder set-up for all my Poser downloads, which was causing the rendering issue. GRRRR!!!

So, now I am the same with Mdbruffy, so the Ent-A now renders fine.

Gonna check Matty's older models, to see if some copy of the old files somehow got double installed, both in the My Documents and Program Files folders.

Post edited by prydonian_96d3f0dd8a on
    edited August 2012

Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

*Update*

Have you tried replacing the obj file?

Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

*Update*

Just wiped the duped copies of the older version of the model, that seemed to have got double-installed, and it was causing the issue.

edited August 2012

Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

*Update*

Just wiped the duped copies of the older version of the model, that seemed to have got double-installed, and it was causing the issue.

Great! Now if someone could just tell me how to give her a more metalic look like she had in TMP. Do I have to go into the material room and manually change EVERY section? There are several pages of sections.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited August 2012

Lord Iffy said:
    UPDATE

Okay, I found there was an old Geometries file that had somehow wound up in the program files folder, rather than the my documents folder set-up for all my Poser downloads, which was causing the rendering issue. GRRRR!!!

Gonna check Matty's older models, to see if some copy of the old files somehow got double installed, both in the My Documents and Program Files folders.

Excellent!!! Glad you could find the issue!!! :D :D :D

Great! Now if someone could just tell me how to give her a more metalic look like she had in TMP. Do I have to go into the material room and manually change EVERY section? There are several pages of sections.

Sadly I have no ideas for you. It is one of the areas that could use improvement. If I recall, there is a python script for surfaces that will alllow you to select more then one surface at a time and make the same change. Just not sure what it is.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited August 2012

nm

edit: okay I'll clarify. For the image directory I had found, "home page" has NOTHING to do with topic. And further, there is no way to find the images via the official website blog. So I'll be sending a PM to the concerned party.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    UPDATE

Excellent!!! Glad you could find the issue!!! :D :D :D

Sadly I have no ideas for you. It is one of the areas that could use improvement. If I recall, there is a python script for surfaces that will alllow you to select more then one surface at a time and make the same change. Just not sure what it is.

Trying to figure out why some of the models that you converted Matty are appearing half invisible, pre-rendered, in Poser. For instance, the USS Vanguard looks 50% invisible, pre-rendered.
    Can I ask, are the more detailed models, lightwave conversions, converted through Poseray? I'm starting to ponder that Poser is finding some part of the poseray conversion a little hard to work with.
    Just wish Smith Micro would do something with Poser to improve it's import abilities.

Also, and this is an open question to anyone doing conversions, if anyone has a converted Blake's 7 Liberator, please give me a yell, as I'd love to get my hands on a Poser-fied model. :) Thank you.

edited December 1969

The half invisable thing is because of flipped normals. By default, DAZ Studio will always render normals forward. Poser on the other hand will not and you need to set it per material in the material room.

• edited August 2012

Mattymanx said:
    The half invisable thing is because of flipped normals. By default, DAZ Studio will always render normals forward. Poser on the other hand will not and you need to set it per material in the material room.

And I did just that, and it still happens. It's no worries, they still render fine. Just trying to figure the issue of why they do this pre-render... makes it a task to do lighting set ups.

Example, the Cheyenne Class has all the normals forwarded, yet it still appears incomplete, yet renders perfectly fine.

As I always say, I think it's a Poser issue with some part of the conversion, and is no slight on the amazing and awesome work you do, Matty.
    But, as long as the models render fine, that's all that matters. The pre-render issue is a software issue that SM hopefully need to sort either in their next major update or for their next version of Poser Pro.

On a side note, to you, Matty:
    On the Enterprise-E model, on the original model, was the Captain's Yacht seperatable? It seems to be completely built (warp nacelles, etc) and even has options in the materials room to adjust it's material parts (like warp and impulse engines, etc.)

edited December 1969

Lord Iffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

And I did just that, and it still happens. It's no worries, they still render fine. Just trying to figure the issue of why they do this pre-render... makes it a task to do lighting set ups.

Example, the Cheyenne Class has all the normals forwarded, yet it still appears incomplete, yet renders perfectly fine.

As I always say, I think it's a Poser issue with some part of the conversion, and is no slight on the amazing and awesome work you do, Matty.
    But, as long as the models render fine, that's all that matters. The pre-render issue is a software issue that SM hopefully need to sort either in their next major update or for their next version of Poser Pro.

On the Enterprise-E model, on the original model, was the Captain's Yacht seperatable? It seems to be completely built (warp nacelles, etc) and even has options in the materials room to adjust it's material parts (like warp and impulse engines, etc.)

I forgot to mention that the Normals Forward in the Material Room is only for rendering.

On that side note... So I went back and looked at the ship and noticed the Captains yatch. Noticed the warp nacells on it could be made to move. Oh, and the shuttle bay doors can be opens with a bit of inginuity (as long as my programs cop-operate). So it looks like the Enterprise E will go to the redo list, next to the Enterprise D (not telling why its there) but both are going to have to wait for me to finish the Akira Class and then after that I will need to shift gears a little to do a different conversion first. Not to mention, I have a Mekhlar Class that someone might want to use. Its a heavy mesh though. Detailed, but a heavy mesh.

• GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    redress of RDuda's Voyager conference room as a counselor's office

Nice image. Where did you find the table and chairs?

David

edited August 2012

I don't know if this situation is true for all versions of Poser however in Poser7 if there is the model layer is as a single layer as opposed to a solid object, it will show only when rendered.

For eg. a half-sphere will be invisible ... a complete sphere might display. And often objects have to be double sided. A box might need to actually have thickness applied to the sides; esp if one wants to see it when the top is opened/removed.

It might also be helpful to turn shadows off.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

David

the table is just two cylinder primitives with shaders

the chairs are from here: http://www.flyingarchitecture.com/ornamental-wooden-armchair/

• CricketCricket Posts: 434
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    Here...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/45413/browse/5/3D-Model/universel-eams-chair

I deleted the leg elements and modeled a simple bracket.

Sincerely,

Bill

Thank you, Bill.

edited December 1969

TimG said:
    TimG said:

David

the chairs are from here: http://www.flyingarchitecture.com/ornamental-wooden-armchair/

Cool. Seems to be some really great stuff available there. How'd you run across it?

David

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

TimG said:
    TimG said:

David

Cool. Seems to be some really great stuff available there. How'd you run across it?

David

just googled on chair .obj

edited December 1969

Enterprise computer core. Uses computer consoles and panels by me and Mylochka plus Ptrope's Briefing Room. I also need to design a movie-era verison and I have no idea what it'll look like.

Enterprise-Comp-Core--WEB.jpg
    800 x 547 - 193K
  • ReisormocapReisormocap Posts: 146
    edited December 1969

crownlion said:
    oops forgot to add photo

Very nice. Always liked the Eagles.

edited December 1969

Found a little something for the Romulans...

Senate Floorpad

• edited August 2012

Mattymanx said:
    Lord Iffy said:
    Mattymanx said:

I forgot to mention that the Normals Forward in the Material Room is only for rendering.

On that side note... So I went back and looked at the ship and noticed the Captains yatch. Noticed the warp nacells on it could be made to move. Oh, and the shuttle bay doors can be opens with a bit of inginuity (as long as my programs cop-operate). So it looks like the Enterprise E will go to the redo list, next to the Enterprise D (not telling why its there) but both are going to have to wait for me to finish the Akira Class and then after that I will need to shift gears a little to do a different conversion first. Not to mention, I have a Mekhlar Class that someone might want to use. Its a heavy mesh though. Detailed, but a heavy mesh.

I look forward to your updated Enterprise - E.

I know it's probably on the backburner, but when time permits or when it rolls round, can you check the DS9 USS Defiant model, which you converted back in 2010. When it renders, huge chunks of it appear much darker than the rest, even with Normals Forwarded.
    It looks okay in Daz, though.
    Also, the Klingon Bird of Prey keeps crashing Poser when I try to set all the Normals Forward. It might just be my copy of Poser being crappy, but in case you update the BOP, just something to look at.

Keep up the awesome work, Matty. :) And, you always have my gratitude for the help you give. :)

edited December 1969

Comming Soon...

156_-_Akira.jpg
    900 x 900 - 535K
  • edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Comming Soon...

That looks very tasty. :)

Also, I've noticed, no one has done a hi-quality poser model of the NX-1 Enterprise (both the TV version and the version that was to be in series 5, with the secondary hull, etc.)

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Enterprise computer core. Uses computer consoles and panels by me and Mylochka plus Ptrope's Briefing Room. I also need to design a movie-era verison and I have no idea what it'll look like.

That puts me in mind of the story of someone coming to take promo pictures of our computer room. They decided our Vaxen weren't visually 'exciting' enough - seen one beige box you've seen them all - and eventually they ended up with a picture of the intern 'mounting' a disk platter on the aircon unit....

edited August 2012

Lord Iffy said:

I know it's probably on the backburner, but when time permits or when it rolls round, can you check the DS9 USS Defiant model, which you converted back in 2010. When it renders, huge chunks of it appear much darker than the rest, even with Normals Forwarded.
    It looks okay in Daz, though.

If its the one I think it is, the mesh is inside out. I converted it from a 3DS file and PoseRay did not exaclty convert it as much as it did just puke up an OBJ of pieces to work with. I did what I could at the time with my limited knowledge.

EDIT
    I see which one it is now. Dont know what that happens either. But none the less, the original conversion of the other one, mentioned above, was a funny story (looking back at it now)

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

Posted another page of my comic to my blog for those who are interested. If you need the link just PM me. Thanks!

David

20_Page_20_preview.jpg
    600 x 464 - 366K
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Mattymanx said:
    Comming Soon...

The Akira Class is now available.

http://www.foundation3d.com/index.php?categoryid=38&p13_sectionid=307&p13_fileid=1933

Thank you. :-)

This may be of interest to some:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/64362/view/21/DAZ-Studio/SpinyK_Genesis

And I'm offline for the rest of the day "making some new toys" ... no guns yet though, I'm really not very adept at those things.

This discussion has been closed.