AUGUST New Users Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the compliment.

Essentially the image with the focus on the airship was what I had posted a couple pages back except that I had added the sepia tint to it. The other image was focused on the woman. I was illustrating a point about what the artist wants the viewer to focus on. Between the two renderings, I would submit the image where the airship is in focus and the woman is not. The expression on the face is important, so I didn't have her out of focus to the point where her face was a complete blur, but as much as I wanted the expression, the airship is still the primary element I want the viewers eyes drawn to.

Oh...in that case, I don't care for the sepia version on page 17 as much, because I really like your color palette! The two versions on page 22 seem slightly different, color-wise, and while I like both I prefer the slightly brighter version--I think. I agree with you that it works best with the focus on the dirigible, although I could go either way on this point, too.

If the woman is out of focus, I think the brighter colors help to make her stand out relative to the rest of the scene.

edited August 2012

Added pedestals, fixed the big pokethrough, and optimized render settings. This one might be good to go...? Going to give it some thought before posting to the contest thread. Don't know if I'll have enough time for a second entry, but I might give it a try.

Title: The Museum of Primitive Man

Prominently features Neanderthal for Genesis (currently on sale at http://www.mec4d.com/, coming soon to the DAZ store, I hear). Neanderthal's morphs and/or textures were used on four of the five figures, and his clothing and beard were used on the other one.

Clothing items used: aside from the caveman, the other figures are wearing various items from the Royal Elf (and Aranmenel), Elven Dress, Pharaohs of the Sun for Genesis Male, and Pharaohs of the Sun for Genesis Female sets. I used a shader from the MachPack on the cape from the Elven Dress (worn by the female character).
    Skin textures used, from left to right: Tamesis WildElf, Neanderthal, Neanderthal, Gemma (from Renderosity), Doyle for M5 and M4 (I think).
    Hair used, from left to right: WildMane, (none), Cuffed Tail 2, Gia Hair, Pure Hair: Wild.
    The pose of the foreground couple is a modified version of one from Disconsolation Poses (shown in the main promo image: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/disconsolation-poses), but the facial expressions are my own creation.
    Set: GIS Orion (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/gis-orion). I originally wanted to use this: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/the-gallery (there's a free version of it on Dreamlight's website), but I couldn't get it to work, and decided to change the venue rather than continue to struggle with it. Ended up being a fortuitous choice, I think, as the Gallery might have been a little too mundane for this scene.
    Props: stone head from Enchanted Island (http://www.daz3d.com/shop/enchanted-island). Pedestals are modified versions of one of the treasure chests by Valandar: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/treasure-chests

neanderthalmuseum4f.jpg
    800 x 800 - 399K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Looks good to me Scott.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Scott this looks good :)

• deloquenciadeloquencia Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Hello,

@Cyonix: Well, no. I admit that your composition is good.

But what your image lacks is depth, though there is DOF. There is nothing which could guide the eye's view
    into the image. It's a short and flat perspective, like through a tele lens. Everything is very close to each other.
    It's nothing bad about it, but for a DOF contest you'll properly emphasize depth by changing the perspective.
    I'm not certain if you know what exactly I mean.

Hmm, for example in evilproducers recent image you've got something that the eye can distinguish as huge and
    far away. The high skyscrapers in the back and the guiding light rays which leads to the zeppelin high up in the sky.
    The low perspective he chose is increasing this effect. And finally the feared woman guide you to the Zeppelin
    and let you compare the sizes - just like a reference. Putting people for example into architecture pictures is a
    classic way to show the scale of the building.

Or in my image the fox guides the eye into the image while he seems to jump off it. This effect is
    emphasized with the row of crows which descents to the background with the far city. Now for example I'm
    using a tunnel in my second entry to establish this effect.

It's up to you. I hope it helps you in any way and keep it in mind... :-)

@evilproducer: The Zeppelin is a great work by the way. I think by means of perspective and the use of
    DOF the best so far.Good luck for the contest :-)

@Jaderail: Guess that means I can trans-blend two DOFs?

@Scott-Livingston: Yes, the fox is awesome. I found it at 9MBi - and he is still on sale.
    (http://www.9mbi.com/goods_page.php?id=1594)
    The fresh, bluish colours and the whole atmosphere I like at your image. But say, can I ask what this strange
    caveman in his fur makes there in the right corner? No offence, I'm just wondering... he's a little bit distracting.

edited December 1969

@Frank0314 and sasje: Thank you!

@deloquencia:

Thanks for the link to the fox! To clarify, I wasn't just praising the fox itself, but what you've done with it. I have some more comments on your work, after taking another look at it with fresh eyes. Comparing the two versions of the fox image that you've posted, I like the more subdued colors in the second one (the composite) better. Regarding the DOF, I'd want to see the crows added to that composite one before rendering judgment on it--from what I can see it looks fine. In the first one, I think the crows that are farther away may be more in focus than necessary, but I don't know that I'd call that a flaw necessarily--it works fine as it is.

On my image: the scene takes place in a museum, and the caveman is an exhibit (like a wax or plastic sculpture, rather than an actual person). The idea is that this is an alternate present or near-future scenario in which Neanderthals survived and our type of human became extinct (and now can be seen only in museums). I wanted to add another exhibit on the left side that might clarify this point, but I don't want the scene to get too cluttered...I want to preserve the airy, open feel and draw the viewer's eyes to the right.

I'm updating my last post with some more information on what I used. Still not sure whether this will be the final version of it or not.

• CyonixCyonix Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

@Cyonix: Well, no. I admit that your composition is good.

But what your image lacks is depth, though there is DOF. There is nothing which could guide the eye's view
    into the image. It's a short and flat perspective, like through a tele lens. Everything is very close to each other.
    It's nothing bad about it, but for a DOF contest you'll properly emphasize depth by changing the perspective.
    I'm not certain if you know what exactly I mean.

No, I don't think I know exactly what you mean. I tried moving the camera around in my next WIP (NOTE: no lights this time, see below), but something tells me that didn't help when it comes to what you're talking about...
    vamp_wip_6.jpg
    600 x 800 - 237K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@deloquencia: I see no reason you can't.

I like the Newest one Scott-Livingston the pedestal's really help the effect.

@Cyonix: They are saying you have nothing in the image to establish size. I still think it's a very good render. Back to size, the eye accepts depth better when it has something of a known Size (even if it just a guess) to convert height to distance with.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    @Cyonix: They are saying you have nothing in the image to establish size. I still think it's a very good render. Back to size, the eye accepts depth better when it has something of a known Size (even if it just a guess) to convert height to distance with.

Okay.......so.......um......what exactly can I do to fix whatever it is that's apparently wrong with my render?

edited December 1969

Nothing needs done. It's a very good render as it is. I was just explaining the reasoning behind what the eye will do When it has items to reference from. It was just a tip for later use, it is not really needed in a image. It's just another trick to help force the eye to do what you want in your renders.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I do tend to agree that it is dfficult to se the distance in this one. If the background was a wall with a window for example, and you could see the bottom of the windo, it would tend to show the depth of the image better, so th eye has something to fix on that draws them into the iage so it does look more 3d and less flat.

Not expalingin that well, but I hope you see what I mean.

• edited August 2012

@Jaderail, @sasje,@deloquencia: thanks.

@Scott-Livingston: I will see this light story ;)
    Youre render is great, maybe a border of a pedestal visible in the bottom left corner of the picture (just to reinforce idea of a museum) maybe a bad idea, don't know: I understand what you said about the scene being too cluttered.

Post edited by niclass10_c04b54aca9 on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I do tend to agree that it is dfficult to se the distance in this one. If the background was a wall with a window for example, and you could see the bottom of the windo, it would tend to show the depth of the image better, so th eye has something to fix on that draws them into the iage so it does look more 3d and less flat.

Not expalingin that well, but I hope you see what I mean.

You mean something like.....this??
    vamp_wip_7.jpg
    600 x 800 - 226K
    edited December 1969

That view Forces Depth, that is exactly what we were talking about.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

exactly

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    That view Forces Depth, that is exactly what we were talking about.exactly
    Awesome, guess it's time to start finishing this render :-)
    edited December 1969

Yeah it looks great

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Besides, what self respecting vampiric priestess would stand in front of a a back lit window when a brooding crypt is available? :ahhh:

• edited December 1969

Still unhappy ... but "army boy" does ...

How to loose that kind of barby doll for the face, what better tutorial ?

FocusDuSoir.jpg
    565 x 800 - 225K
    edited December 1969

Is this Genesis or V4? Both can be edited with the right morph sets.

• edited December 1969

My problem is not from the shape, but from difference between diffuse texture of the face defined (pretty 4k*4k, with shader from the shop) and how it really appear in render (I'm really new to 3d rendering and I'm just using daz studio actually ...).

edited December 1969

What are Your Render settings? To get better quality takes three things, good lighting, a good texture on the figure (might need tweaking), and last but very important GOOD render settings. The Default Render setting is not going to give good results.

• edited August 2012

This is my config, I would gratefully accept tips ...

left uber, right rendering, all I know for moment is that I could lower uber shading rate to 1 or less, that's all ;)

confuber.jpg
    777 x 763 - 70K
    Post edited by niclass10_c04b54aca9 on
  • gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

hi i was going back and fouth on this one dof is as hard as it gets for me but i figured i give it a shot, what i wanted to do was blur the shells at the end of the line and hope it will give the look of speed and dof, can i start with two camers one on each line of the shell

or am i over my head on this one

racing_in_water_.jpg
    800 x 800 - 365K
    Post edited by gp139 on
    edited August 2012

ntotor said:
    This is my config, I would gratefully accept tips ...

left uber, right rendering, all I know for moment is that I could lower uber shading rate to 1 or less, that's all ;)

Okay I see two things, your Max Ray Trace Depth is to low try 2 or 4. And two your shading rate should be .5 or .1 for most renders. The lower the better render wise.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited August 2012

@dune411412: If you go through the thread again You will find tuts on how to set that up. look on this page for Szark's and my examples of the field of depth and Focus. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5084/P45
    Then on Page 1 for Szark's Render settings.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

hi i was going back and fouth on this one dof is as hard as it gets for me but i figured i give it a shot, what i wanted to do was blur the shells at the end of the line and hope it will give the look of speed and dof, can i start with two camers one on each line of the shell

or am i over my head on this one

You should set up two or more cameras, but maybe not for the reason you think (if I'm understanding your question correctly). You only need one camera (Camera 1) for the render and depth of field; the other camera(s) ais/are just used to help you get your Camera 1 set up correctly. You'll want a second camera (Camera 2) off to an angle from the first one, not facing it directly. While you're looking through Camera 2, go to the Cameras tab and select Camera 1. Turn Depth of Field on and you should see something like this: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/66500/. That view will help you follow the instructions and tutorials that you can find in the first few pages of the thread. Hope this helps!
    edited December 1969

And here's where I'm at now after adding the lights back in....maybe it's ready to be submitted in the entry thread??

vamp_wip_10.jpg
    600 x 800 - 170K
    edited December 1969

Looks ready to me. Good job

• gp139gp139 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

scott-livingston
    thank you yes that is what i was looking for, i just wanted to make sure i was going in the right direction (sometimes you can read all the tuts out there and still not get it)
    just one line from some one can put it all in place
    thank you