shaders

SteveBerr3DSteveBerr3D Posts: 39
edited December 1969 in New Users

I have Gor Doms shader and I don't know how to use it,any help?

Comments

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Not sure what those are but shader presets are easy to use in studio 4. Simply select the surface you want to apply them to using the surface selection tool (looks like 3 little cards fanned out) and then double click the preset. Alternately you can select the item to apply it to in the scene tab and the surface you want to apply it to via the surface tab.

• SteveBerr3DSteveBerr3D Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Ok I got ,thanks.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Actually you must FIRST select the item in the Scene Tab and then the Surface you want in the Surfaces Tab or vice a versa. Then apply the Shader. All DS shaders work this way. The item must be selected in both Tabs.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

Jaderail, that is only true for old versions of studio. From 4 on using the surface selection tool chooses both at the same time.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

You telling me the Program that ADDED a hundred new features took a step out of one thing? That is good to know because I'm old school and would have done it the old way forever. Thanks for the info.

P.S. I'm just now learning DS4.5 because I do not like beta's. Now that it's Full I'm learning it just like all other New Users.

edited December 1969

After you add the shader can you move it or add or subtract to the way you want to? I already got the first part on what I was told earlyer.

edited December 1969

Think of adding a shader preset a bit like painting the surface section you selected. You can paint over it with a different paint but unless you hit undo you can't "unpaint" it. You can also select a surface in the surface tab and copy it to apply to other surfaces. Handy if you made changes to one and want to copy it over to another

One great addition to studio 4 was being able to group select several similar surfaces. You can select ALL the surfaces that "match" and you have several choices how to do it. So lets say that you used a shader preset on several locations on an object and decid you want to change them. You use the surface select tool but you right click it. You get a list of choices of similar surfaces to select.

edited December 1969

I played with it I'm not sure I got it,is there a vid or something? :)

edited December 1969

Not that I know of. One thing to keep in mind with shader presets is that they almost never look "right" before you render them. We have a couple of old tutorials on our web site that are still fairly relevant. One I suggest looking at is tiling and scale. There are also some freebie shaders there as well.

http://www.calida3d.com/tutorials.shtml

• WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Khory said:
    Jaderail, that is only true for old versions of studio. From 4 on using the surface selection tool chooses both at the same time.

I'm using DS4 Pro and I still have to select BOTH in the scene tab and the surfaces tab before any shaders apply!

edited December 1969

Yes, but the surface selection tool does select both at the same time.

edited December 1969

Not in my version it doesn't!

edited December 1969

No clue why yours is borked. I use it all the time to shift from object to object within the scene. I never use the node selection tool any more except for posing.

edited December 1969

Hmm... will have to see if reinstalling DS will make it work. Certainly be easier.

edited December 1969

It has been a huge time saver for me. But then I was working on shaders all day every day for ages.

edited December 1969

The tuturoal was helpful,but what I'm look for is to use a little bit of the shader no the whole thing.

edited December 1969

You could apply the shader to a primitive then re save it with just the parts you want to save.

edited December 1969

Omg,I have no ide on how to do that

edited December 1969

In the save dialouge check custom and it will give you a list of all the surface settings that you could save out. You can save as many or as few as you like. Just remember that not saving some of the settings will drastically change the look you get when you render your shader.

edited December 1969

Ok,i have no ida on what that looks like,proble seen it but don't know what it is. I'm realy new at this.

edited December 1969

When you click the little plus sign at the bottom or go to the save as drop down one of the options is to save as a shader. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean by "a little bit of the shader".

edited December 1969

I have Gor Domes blood splaters and dont want to use the whole thing just parts fo effect.

edited December 1969

ohhhh.. As in you don't want it everywhere on the surface your using? I don't have gor dom and I'm not really that familiar with LIE shaders. My best guess is you could alter the transparency map in a 2d app so that it exposes less of the gor. I'm not sure if tiling is a factor or not. That might pose a problem if it is. I'm afraid we have reached the point where I'm not much help.

• edited December 1969

Quickest way to do it is still a pain in the ass, if your machine's light on RAM. It will take forever to get anything done, but... Just open the material selector dropdown on the surface (GoreDom only uses diffuse, doesn't it?) and click on 'Open Layered Image Editor...' Then just resize the overlay layer a bit. If the shape isn't pleasing to you, open the texture in the image editor of your choice and tweak it a bit, then replace the image for that layer with the tweaked one.

Do I do this often? No. It's a pain in the ass. But, I do it when I have to. (Also, I'm still using DS3, so things may not be in -exactly- the same places, for you.)

edited December 1969

I looked at the product in the store and it sounded like it used transparency as well. But I could be way out in left field since I don't have the product.

edited December 1969

Ok,Does any know of a product that I can use?

edited December 1969

What sort of gor are you needing Steve? So you need it on a set place on something?

edited December 1969

Not just gore but anything from small wounds to gor.(stabs,slices,ect)I can use gor dom but I need something small to start with. I got to get to work now so I'll read the answer when I get home.

edited December 1969

Not just gore but anything from small wounds to gor.(stabs,slices,ect)I can use gor dom but I need something small to start with. I got to get to work now so I’ll read the answer when I get home.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/lie-wound-makeup-artist
    SimonMW’s sounds like it has more flexibility as far as generations go, is a much newer product and is much larger.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/lie-wound-pack
    This one does not look as large but the price point is slightly lower.

I don’t have either of the products though so I can’t give you an owners perspective.