Steampunk Car?

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hya

Wondering if there were any good steam punk cars around people might recommend.
Thanks in advance

:)

Comments

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

There's actually a bunch of Steampunk vehicles, everything from taxis to flying machines, in the store, quickest way to see them is to type "steam" into the store search: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/index/?limit=60&q=steam

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

Hey thanks :)
    Sorry I forgot to be specific!
    I'm looking for a 'family' car, reasonab;y modern, but in a steam punk vein.
    Thos ones in the store look almost but not quite.
    If needs be I will buy a couple and canabalise them
    Thanks for the quick reply!

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    I'm looking for a 'family' car, reasonab;y modern, but in a steam punk vein.
    Thos ones in the store look almost but not quite.

I can't really think of anything in the family car vein, unfortunately. There may well be something out there, but not that I'm aware of.

edited December 1969

thank you for your help DWG!
    I will keep looking.

• GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited August 2012

My basic understanding of steampunk vehicles is basically any vehicle with a boiler & big gauges attached. ;-)
    Anyhoot you may want to search for vintage cars also around the era of model T Ford and earlier.
    http://www.holytaco.com/25-awesome-steampunk-creations/

steampunk_darlek.jpg
    300 x 395 - 22K
    Post edited by Gigabeat on
    edited December 1969

Heh, classic r2d2 GigaBeat ;0 Thanks for the link, I can see a few good ideas.

cheers from here ;)

• GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

The above image is of steampunk version of a Dalek from Dr Who.
    Anyhoot following is steampunk version R2D2. It's sooooo coooool. :coolgrin:
    Do Google image search for "steampunk" and you get a lot of cool stuff.

Steampunk_R2D2.jpg
    600 x 449 - 97K
    edited December 1969

Heh. talk about having my foot in my mouth
    !
    Thanks for that r2d2
    I will take a Daz car and sticl on a whole lot of brass, darkwood gauges pump,s valves pipes and things
    MUch obliged for that pic - it tells me just what I need

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

My understanding of Steampunk is much this same as the description from wikipedia

Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective

So you need to find older model cars and "steampunkify" them.
    edited December 1969

thank you

I habe bought the jag limo and a few steam punk things and I am in the process of dismanteling them and retexturing them :)
    I love pulling things apart !

thanks for the definition chohole - I'll never say bad things about Bryce again (just kidding of course, - I never have)

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    My understanding of Steampunk is much this same as the description from wikipedia

Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology, or futuristic innovations as Victorians might have envisioned them, based on a Victorian perspective

I also like "Steampunk is what happens when Goths discover brown", which goes some way to explaining the fashion side!

So you need to find older model cars and "steampunkify" them.

If I was doing that I might start from this BMW convertible and stick a steam-plant in the boot http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/bmw-502-for-poser-/88398

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

Precisely what counts as Steampunk is open to debate...usually conducted with interestingly decorated weaponry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited August 2012

Well there are two parts to this debate it seems. One is the trend by some to just 'fake it' without trying to really invest artistically into any esthetic role. The other is the debate whether Steampunk stops at a certain time or is an alternative history line that moves forward into modern times and beyond where steam rather then the internal combustion engine became dominant and electricity also is sublimated to steam, where Zeppelins and Dirigibles became a major form of transportation rather then being faded out, etc...

Along these lines it seems boilers being large and unwieldy for power sources means that the continuation of science along those lines would focus on getting the power of phase change into a smaller and more wieldy fashion which would mean a lot of research on gasses, pressure, thermodynamics etc... which would allow smaller devices for power units using perhaps something other then just water, i.e. the purpose behind green glowy stuff (like antifreeze) etc.. in Steampunk in some people's artwork.

Steampunk Sci-fi could be an interesting and as yet untapped artistic playground.

As for tubes, they operate on an analog vs digital basis, thus the better bass sound frequencies in amplifiers. Steampunk, if it gets that far, steers towards analog vs digital in processing as phase change physics is also a more analog vs discreet science. Thus the argument against tubes could be an argument against the lack of understanding of where the artist using them is coming from rather then (as in some cases I'm sure) that the artist just doesn't understand his history and think anything old can be glommed together and people won't notice.

Basically, if someone is just totally faking it and didn't really put thought into it, people notice.

Love that video btw Richard, here's a couple others for you :)

Abney Park
    The Dolls of New Albion, A Steampunk Opera

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,738
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the links.