Cat-like ’eyeshine’ in Daz 3D - Tutorial Page 6

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

had to have a try in Bryce, to see what I could do, this subject got me intrigued.

keeper_of_dreams_cateyes.png
    540 x 720 - 481K
  • SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

That's awesome chohole! I've been having trouble actually getting the reflection to actually react to the light Love the vibrant colour :) what sort of settings do you find work for you if you don't mind me asking? I posted my parameters but I'm not happy with it yet. I thought the topic might interest some ppl since I havnt came across it before :P

edited December 1969

I am going to play with it a bit more. The subject got a couple of Brycers interested apart from me. Dave Savage did it this way, looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluS3ItK8d4

For my settings I have used a lot of ambience and quite a bit of reflection. The eye cornea Is a glass setting, 100% transparent quite a bit of reflection and specualrity and also altered the refraction percentage to water but with a tiny tad of colour fed into the glass transparency, which is something I am not certain you can do in DS or poser.

I have the eye map fed into diffuse channel at 100% and then Ambience turned up as well. I had this particular figre already set up in bryce, so the puil is not made larger, but I played around until I got it to blend with the settings I had on the pupil.

Trouble is Bryce settings are a bit differnet, as all programs deal with textures, mats or shaders, whatever you want to call them, a bit differently.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    For my settings I have used a lot of ambience and quite a bit of reflection. The eye cornea Is a glass setting, 100% transparent quite a bit of reflection and specualrity and also altered the refraction percentage to water but with a tiny tad of colour fed into the glass transparency, which is something I am not certain you can do in DS or poser.

I'm pretty sure you can do it with HSS or Ubersurface. I seem to recall there being (in addition to the usual opacity settings) a section for 'transparency' that takes colour.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

Cool thread! :-)

edited December 1969

ThinMick said:
    chohole said:

I'm pretty sure you can do it with HSS or Ubersurface. I seem to recall there being (in addition to the usual opacity settings) a section for 'transparency' that takes colour.

Thanks so much chohole! I'll check out the link and work on the parameters with what you've described to me as soon as I knock off from work. I'm sure there'd be similarities between the softwares. I will get there and finally be able to share with everyone how to do it lol. Also I'd love to see your progress on your eyes. :)

@thinmick thanks heaps for the tip I'll be looking into that :) I'm not sure from memory, but I may have set up the HSS on the character already. I'd have to look at the parameters again. My iPhones being real slow lol

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Cool thread! :-)

Thanks ramwolff it's definitely a learning experience lol and work in progress. Hopefully by the end of it I can make a tutorial :)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited August 2012

Here's a quick attempt by me. Took all of about 5 minutes to set up, and about 30 seconds to render.

Left eye has eyeshine, right has none. Both corneas are natural reflection. 1 Spotlight to the front right.

I created a retina from a plane primitive, inserted it into the eye, set the ambient, reflective, and specular colors. Set the pupil to Opacity 0, applied a glass like setting to the cornea for reflection.

Kendall

eyeshine-front.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 219K
    eyeshine.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 218K
    Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

Wow that's clever Kendall ! I can only see low res as I'm at work on my mobile but from what I can see it creates shadow and the light hits it quite nicely That may mean it may not require the painted ambiance map I used earlier. How does both eyes go when there's the angled light in your first render? Thanks for your help :) I so wish I was at my puta right now... So many great ideas to try :)

edited December 1969

Wow that's clever Kendall ! I can only see low res as I'm at work on my mobile but from what I can see it creates shadow and the light hits it quite nicely That may mean it may not require the painted ambiance map I used earlier. How does both eyes go when there's the angled light in your first render? Thanks for your help :) I so wish I was at my puta right now... So many great ideas to try :)

I'm in the process of rendering an avi of the spotlight traveling from one side to the other so that you can see the effect of the technique.

Kendall

edited December 1969

YOU ARE AWESOME lol I'm excited hehe :)

edited December 1969

BTW my son says a good texture and then play with uber surface, which I think was a suggestion you already had.

edited August 2012

Here is the .avi for the EyeShine test with the spotlight traveling across the face.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project.mp4.html

EDIT: 1.2MB

Kendall

edited August 2012

chohole said:
    BTW my son says a good texture and then play with uber surface, which I think was a suggestion you already had.

Yeah, I was suggested a reflection map (Trialled first in this thread) And I was suggested an ambient map which I progressed towards, the ambient map that I posted of the Painted eyeshine on M5 eye texture was effective, likewise both proved artificial, but of course they definitely had their benefits! :) I'm not sure what texture you refer to?

Additionally, I seem to have an issue with the reflection itself... It seems that even without light the reflective surface is illuminating ??? Odd. There is only one light with shadows on, completely aimed at the side of the head, definitely not hitting the furthest eye, no ambient map and ambient is off. This is doing my head in lol!

Eyeshine_Test-7a4.jpg
    800 x 781 - 133K
    Eyeshine_Test-7a3.jpg
    800 x 781 - 140K
    Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately Neils is a bit tied up with other things at the mo (He is a mature student at Uni, and also a PA , with the PA sale coming up very soon) other wise I would challenge him to show you what he means.

edited August 2012

Thats fine Chohole :) When ever he's free it's all good... I have no deadline it's just a learning experience :)

I love daz and 3D, and it's fun to conqure all the obsticles and prove that 'anything that exists in the real world can exist in the 3D world' A little phillosophy I have lol!

Post edited by SpyroRue on
    edited August 2012

OK I shall pass that on to him, although just at this particular moment in time I do know that he is heavily involved in playin Guild Wars, nothing 3d or studywise at all. but I guess we have to let him have some relaxation. :roll:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

LOL! yes well it gets like that sometimes haha! 3D tends to be my relaxation as complicated as it gets lol

edited December 1969

Here is the .avi for the EyeShine test with the spotlight traveling across the face.

Kendall

I love the depth and how the shadows fall inside the eye! you cant get that with the eye 'as is' on genesis. I'll be toying with that, thank you soo much for your efforts :) I might go into 3ds max and construct an inner eye prop useing the concept of what you've done (I'll do a little research on the anatomy of the eye also), then play with the reflective/materials parameters. Thanks again Kendall :)

edited December 1969

Kendall

I love the depth and how the shadows fall inside the eye! you cant get that with the eye 'as is' on genesis. I'll be toying with that, thank you soo much for your efforts :) I might go into 3ds max and construct an inner eye prop useing the concept of what you've done (I'll do a little research on the anatomy of the eye also), then play with the reflective/materials parameters. Thanks again Kendall :)

That pretty much was default Genesis. I added a plane primitive (1.5cm) set the surface properties and then translated it into Genesis' eye.

After that I just got rid of the "painted on" highlights that come with every texture set out there, so that we'd just get the "natural" highlights.

I'll be posting a couple more mp4's with other easy to do settings very soon.

Kendall

edited August 2012

Just uploaded another. This shows the camera moving, with the light stationary.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project2.mp4.html

EDIT: <1M</p>

Kendall

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I am going to play with it a bit more. The subject got a couple of Brycers interested apart from me. Dave Savage did it this way, looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluS3ItK8d4

Before I go to bed... I thought I should mention I watched this video, and Dave has got it spot on. It seems so simple in bryce lol Kinda wish he elaborated more on the material parameters... unless it really is just that simple.

Can't wait to see your progress on your project you got going.

Anyhow, Its now sunrise and my prior nightshift is no excuse to not sleep and return to a reasonable sleeping pattern again lol

Talk soon,
    Thanks everyone!

edited December 1969

Just uploaded another. This shows the camera moving, with the light stationary.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project2.mp4.html

Kendall

I'll check that out thankyou Kendall!

I'll get back to you soon after sleep :cheese:

edited December 1969

I've just uploaded a mp4 showing a real "redeye" flash as the camera hits the correct angle. This isn't physically perfect as I am not going for perfect realism here, only showing the technique. With just a little adjustment this could be made physically correct.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project3.mp4.html

Size <1M</p>

Kendall

edited December 1969

I've just uploaded a mp4 showing a real "redeye" flash as the camera hits the correct angle. This isn't physically perfect as I am not going for perfect realism here, only showing the technique. With just a little adjustment this could be made physically correct.

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/Default+Project3.mp4.html

Size <1M</p>

Kendall

Thanks for this, you're very helpful :) I'll be giving this a try, I think with added reflection parameters that cause that sudden 'glow' like effect under the particular angle of view and light is the gist of what I’m looking for.

As I mentioned to Chohole the video link she shared: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IluS3ItK8d4 made by Dave, appears to be exactly what I'm going for. Largely because the eye of say a cat for example isn't always illuminated, it's a natural phenomenon that occurs only under direct lighting and with the correct angle of view... some may say a darkish environment may also be required.

That said though, I love the concept of what you've done! Technically speaking, you have added the actual anatomical feature of tapetum lucidum (layer of tissue within the eye that causes the light to reflect back through the retina, causing eye-shine), which is NOT to my knowledge something that is in the 'as is' genesis eye. So well done :)

I’ve attached some images of tapetum lucidum, so that everyone knows what I’m talking about. Also the science behind human red eye since you showed interest in that too :)

Cheers :)

eyeball-redeye.png
    630 x 321 - 73K
    chris-redeye.png
    640 x 640 - 573K
    eyeball-eyeshine.png
    630 x 321 - 73K
    Tapetum_Lucidum-Seen_as_the_blue_tissue.jpg
    609 x 600 - 51K
    edited December 1969

To get the effect of the video with the technique I've laid out, all that is necessary is to increase the Ambient Strength on the plane to >75% and the Specular Strength >75% (of course set the colors to at least the color desired in brightness).

Kendall

edited December 1969

Thanks very much Kendall, you're a champ :)

edited December 1969

There are other games you can play with this, like the "Highlander Series" zoom into the pupil while seeing the memory play. Attach a scene (or animation) to the plane and zoom on in... Things can get very interesting. :-)

Kendall

edited December 1969

haha! Yeah I better conqure reflections reflections first lol, I've found atm that environment reflections illuminate without lights or anything to reflect! and raytrace isn't reflecting the light other than a white dot! Thinking maybe Bryce is the way to go at this point :-/

edited December 1969

But I must remain strong... This thread is for eyeshine in 'Daz' :coolsmile: