The Dragon Ate My Complaint Thread

Comments

• RezcaRezca Posts: 3,389
    edited August 2012

As much as I don't like films, I especially hate ones that are books-turned movies or god-forbid games-turned movies. The former often adds what the producer thinks would be cool - often completely ignoring what the original was about (HTTYD suffered from a complete change in direction from the original How to Train... books, like making Toothless look cool instead of being near-useless, a midget, and common - and so on). FFVII's film was mostly a sequel to the game itself and wasn't a film adaption of the actual game, so they could get away with that. And it was SquareEnix doing most of the directing and such, so it wasn't like some random company got to screw around with their game to suit their own tastes.
    *edit* Possibly the only book/game to movie thing that Square has done that SUCKED was "Final Fantasy Unlimited". Everything else was great.
    Regardless, I was never a fan of The Hobbit to begin with (Despite or maybe because of my father reading the trilogy to me each night as I went to bed for the first four or five years of my life), and movies just don't hold much interest to me anymore. Rarely anyway.
    Anywayz. Just ordered the book I need for my Accounting class, and ordered myself a King Ghidora plush as a treat =3
    Don't much care for the Godzilla serfies, but hydra plushes are rare it seems, and it was so cute~

Post edited by Rezca on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

I love movies and we try to catch as many as possible. The only downfall to books made movie is they tend to leave out the little details that help explain a point. Always drives me nuts. The Harry Potter films were that way. Fantastic movies but left out a lot of little details.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,678
    edited December 1969

twenty two minutes left on the computer then find some books to read and then head to mum's place for lunch.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,678
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    I love movies and we try to catch as many as possible. The only downfall to books made movie is they tend to leave out the little details that help explain a point. Always drives me nuts. The Harry Potter films were that way. Fantastic movies but left out a lot of little details.

I just finished reading the first HP book. I might see if I can find the chambers of secrets while at the library.

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Granddaughter#1 read the Potter books so many times that she has them memorized. The books themselves are quite tattered. I read them too. She sat there at the movies and gave her dad a running critique. They left out this, that wasni't done right, that's not what he said, where's the ...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:

I just finished reading the first HP book. I might see if I can find the chambers of secrets while at the library.

My kids have read every book and loved them.

edited December 1969

There's supposed to be an Artemis Fowl film coming out eventually. I'm a bit worried about this because apparently, the studio or whatever that took up the task of making it didn't think about having the author direct it and spent almost a year or two looking for someone else without ever asking him (Red Flag). That and it's going to be live-action, akin to the HarryPotter films (Another Red Flag, for me anyway). Not looking forward to the Troll scene in live action, but the Time-Stop spell scene should be cool enough.
    I loved the books, but don't know if I'll like the film at all. I did enjoy the graphic novel though.
    Also Nightwish is making a movie, and they have the trailer ready to watch. Live action as well, so I dunno. (NOT a fan of live-action.)

edited December 1969

Cuteness, is called Axolotl. And because of rude hoomanz destroying their marshy/swampy homes, they are now endangered in the wild (But very common in pet stores).

1287414103.silverfox5213_axolot_flattenl__copy_.jpg
    600 x 605 - 194K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Rezca said:
    Cuteness, is called Axolotl. And because of rude hoomanz destroying their marshy/swampy homes, they are now endangered in the wild (But very common in pet stores).
    Not the full truth, the poor little fellows old homes are still there. The hoomanz pollution has made their homes unlivable. They were very common in Lakes, Rivers and streams not just swampy areas. Even the real live ones are cute to me. See...
    axolotl.jpg
    512 x 384 - 32K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • VilianVilian Posts: 281
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:

Also Nightwish is making a movie, and they have the trailer ready to watch. Live action as well, so I dunno. (NOT a fan of live-action.)

WHAT????? *faints* Me must see, whatever it is!

Also, never big fan of anything-into-movie myself. I had no huge objections, just minor ones - until Les rivières pourpres, The Crimson Rivers that is. The movie seemed quite good, until I've finally managed to read the book by Jean-Christophe Grangé. The book is simply brilliant when compared to poor, silly movie. Actually the movie looked like the book stuffed into meat mincer but that's just my humble opinion ;) Since then I'm quite critical and really, totally hate some movie series - like Resident Evil for example. Yuck.

edited December 1969

@Jaderail: Same thing. Polluted and disgusting = Destroyed in my book. If it can no longer properly support the ecology it once did because of humans or indirectly because of humans, it's been destroyed or in the process of being destroyed. You don't need to drain a marsh and then build a shopping center on it for it to qualify as destroyed in my view.

Vilian said:
    Rezca said:

WHAT????? *faints* Me must see, whatever it is!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U84fhOqqRBY

Movie's called Imaginaerum, after their album of the same name. They renamed it from Imaginarium.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

But some forms of pollution can be cleaned, and in some cases, the ecosystem rebuilt. I know that this can be done, because my deceased father-in-law worked in chemistry department of my local university as a research professor and lecturer (focus on environmental toxics), and thanks to his and his colleagues' effort, the lake nearby is again teeming with fish and life, and it is once more safe to swim in it, even eat fish caught from it.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

@Rezca; I was just expanding on the problem the little guy faces. Some folks might not know they live in rivers and lakes also. You only mentioned swampy areas. The plight of the South American rivers in populated areas is worse than when that river in New York caught on fire. Humans are the only animal that will pollute it's on nest. And we do not seem to care for the most part. It's a real shame.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited August 2012

humidity on the uprise. to a/c or not to a/c. to watch dvds or play FFX, indecisive today

Dinoraul in on sale today. more indecision, can only afford one item today- Dwarf Fan Palm or Echu?

Post edited by Mistara on
    edited December 1969

Well some stuff came up and it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to afford the upgrade to Studio ;__;

Oh well. In the mean time I've installed the Vue xStream PLE and am going to have a spin with that, see if I can get some stuff working or not. At the very least it should help me bridge the two applications, making it easier to set stuff up before sending it into Vue for rendering, or rendering it with my app.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Today is pretty much a wash. Accomplished almost none of my task list.

Did cook crispy spicy chicken thighs, ame out well although took 2 hours to cook. Pork ribs still in the oven after 5 hours, but should be done soon. Managed to get my writing projects organized, buy music to write to, order cooking supplies (for bbqing), set up King Ghidorah, unpack and set my plush lionfish with the snakes and iguana (yay) and start in on wiring the Dell laptop up as a house-pubolic computer. started reinstalling my laptop-based music studio for doing electronic/soundscape stuff since i can't play guitar any more.

Did NOITHING on my blogs or my Website,. Didn't write a lick, didn't sculpt. Did do laundry. Meh.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. Haz rays and warm so far today, our turn in the sun at last but there are darkish clouds on the horizon :)

edited December 1969

RIP Neil Armstrong, one of the greats.

edited December 1969

A Work-In-Progress for an art trade I'm doing with a friend on DeviantART. First time doing a full shading entirely within photoshop. Maw's pretty much done, now I have to do his fluff. Not looking forward to that part. So much open space o__O

maw-request.jpg
    720 x 571 - 99K
    edited December 1969

Some minutes of random shading based on guesswork, while looking at a similar picture for a bit of reference I guess (That raptor prince image.)

maw-request2.jpg
    720 x 571 - 147K
    edited December 1969

Heh great :)

edited December 1969

Today is pretty much a wash. Accomplished almost none of my task list.

Did cook crispy spicy chicken thighs, ame out well although took 2 hours to cook. Pork ribs still in the oven after 5 hours, but should be done soon. Managed to get my writing projects organized, buy music to write to, order cooking supplies (for bbqing), set up King Ghidorah, unpack and set my plush lionfish with the snakes and iguana (yay) and start in on wiring the Dell laptop up as a house-pubolic computer. started reinstalling my laptop-based music studio for doing electronic/soundscape stuff since i can't play guitar any more.

Did NOITHING on my blogs or my Website,. Didn't write a lick, didn't sculpt. Did do laundry. Meh.

Still listening to some great tracks by you on my ipod :)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Rezca said:
    A Work-In-Progress for an art trade I'm doing with a friend on DeviantART. First time doing a full shading entirely within photoshop. Maw's pretty much done, now I have to do his fluff. Not looking forward to that part. So much open space o__O

...can you send him over to my place? Seems I have acquired a small rodent issue that needs a permanent solution. ;-)
    edited August 2012

...urgh.

Getting tired of crashes.

Finally worked up a scene which involved one Vicky (Lady Grande) & one Steph (Leela) the floor, a candelabra, several wall panels, and ceiling from Baroque Grandeur, Ness' Harpsichord, and a photo backdrop

First render attempt went fine though the shadows didn't look quite right. Changed the lighting angles and added one more distant light (a total of only 4 lights along with UberEnvironment). Re-ran the render and *crash*. Closed then reopened the scene, removed a few more items that didn't have a visual effect on the final scene, changed the camera perspective and render frame. Saved the scene (which took almost fifteen minutes ) closed it, reopened it and stared the render only to have it crash again. This a bit frustrating as I reduced the "weight" of the scene from from the version that rendered so it shouldn't have crashed.

After closing Studio I open Task manager to make sure that the application was completely shut down before restarting it.

When I render I set the viewport to Bounding Box wire frame mode and render directly to a file rather than the viewport or separate window to reduce the system memory load as much as possible.

...meanwhile the new system which would solve all this sits useless next to my desk because Frys gave me the wrong optical drive rails for the case. Without the DVD drive I cannot load the OS, my security suite, Poser Pro2012 and PSPX. Tried to find another set that would work at the local geek co-op and no-go. Filed a support ticket with Antec after discovering the rails were "out of stock" in their spare parts store, and was given a phone number for ordering which when I call, I'm put on hold for a long long time. Its taken me nearly a year just to get all the components together and now I end up stymied by a lousy 6$ pair of plastic and metal parts.

A major part of the reason I haven't done much if any new work in recent months is because I'm getting tired of spending all the time setting things up just to have the scene crash during the render process.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Can you just ditch the case, and get a different one and move the innards to it?

edited August 2012

...not all that easy as the MB and everything else is already installed and took some work due to my arthritis. Plus, with having to move, I don't have the funds to get a similar type of case at the moment.

I chose this case because of it's design, the fact it has excellent cooling (5 fans including a large side fan by the GPU, with the provision for two more), is very roomy inside (important for someone with arthritic hands like myself), has an isolated bay for the PSU, excellent cable management, is solidly built (all steel frame), doesn't have all those funky lights, clear side panel, or scream G-A-M-E-R like many of the newer cases do these days.

the downside, it was the last one at the store and apparently the staff there lost some of the original hardware and thought they could just throw anything in and I wouldn't notice. Well I didn't at first, until I was ready to install the drives as this was my first ever build. First I had discovered they gave me two sets of MB standoffs instead of the HDD drive mount screws I needed. It took two support tickets to Antec (as these too happened to be "out of stock" in their store) and over a month of waiting to finally get the ones I needed.

I can't believe that a company that does business worldwide doesn't have one set of these silly rails laying around in an equipment cabinet or desk drawer somewhere. I feel like I'm trying to get parts for a 1938 MG-TA.

The only time I could call the number which they gave me in response to the latest ticket, is during lunch break at work. Each time I called, I was put in a hold queue for fifteen or more min. I only have 30 min for lunch. I'm going to enter another support ticket with them tomorrow mentioning that I only have a limited time during the weekdays to make the call and cannot spend it on hold (I do not have a home phone for budget and privacy reasons).

...great mother of pearl! it's 02:45. Have a bike ride and get together with food and music at a friends to attend tomorrow so must get off to bed.

edited December 1969

Well... you could also do the totally hacker thing. Plug the needed cables into DVD drive, and leave the side of the computer open. Leave the DVD drive on table, or on top of Strategically Propped Book Pile while you do the installs. That way you will have a functional 'puter, even if it lacks the DVD drive. Do installs, remove cables and DVD drive, close the case.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Well that sounds of personal experience :coolgrin: hehe!

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited December 1969

Hey, I reached 100 posts Yey! *Celebrates with a dance* lol

edited August 2012

...considering that almost all of my content installers are on DVD backup that would almost make that a somewhat long term situation.

I am rebuilding my runtimes from the ground up by doing a full manual install (basically installing to a temp folder and then moving things to the proper locations) in order to better organise things. Not sure how this will work with S4.5Pro as it needs the metadata files and I'm not sure where to manually install those.

I'm not about to deal with resetting and re-downloading everything with the way the Itemised Order History list is now chopped up disorganised.

Yikes it's now 03:00, I have to turn in. Will be back tomorrow (err...later today)

This discussion has been closed.