Some questions before i upgrade from Daz Studio 4 Pro to DS 4.5

RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
edited December 1969 in The Commons

When I first setup DS4Pro, I made the mistake of putting Genesis on my main drive and all the other content on another. I would like to change that with the new iteration of DAZ but I have a few questions before I do:

What will I need to do to preserve the metadata for all the stuff I have now?

If I consolidate Genesis into the other drive with all the rest of the stuff, i think I will need to reload it plus all of the morph content. Is this correct? Will i also have to reload all the clothing too?

Is PoseMaster compatible?

Is Generation X compatible?

What experiences have you had with the upgrade?

Are the new features really worth the headache of upgrading?

Thank you for your feedback and input. I am just not wanting to spend the entire weekend upgrading for little reward.

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

RKane_1 said:
    When I first setup DS4Pro, I made the mistake of putting Genesis on my main drive and all the other content on another. I would like to change that with the new iteration of DAZ but I have a few questions before I do:

What will I need to do to preserve the metadata for all the stuff I have now?

If I consolidate Genesis into the other drive with all the rest of the stuff, i think I will need to reload it plus all of the morph content. Is this correct? Will i also have to reload all the clothing too?

Is PoseMaster compatible?

Is Generation X compatible?

What experiences have you had with the upgrade?

Are the new features really worth the headache of upgrading?

Thank you for your feedback and input. I am just not wanting to spend the entire weekend upgrading for little reward.

Adamr001's tutorial on migrating to a new computer can also be used for moving a content folder to another drive and updating the CMS accordingly: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5639/
    Just skip the parts that aren't applicable. You won't need to reinstall anything for the new content location, although a lot of Genesis add-ons have been updated for bugs which weren't being caught by DS4.0

I'm not sure about PoseMaster, GenX is currently being updated -- D3D has a thread about it.

I haven't had any problems with the upgrade, although I've been updating my Genesis content gradually since March, so I don't have much that needs updating now. Reloading some of my early test scenes with autofitted V4 clothing has the clothing broken, but it was simple enough to delete the clothing and load it again.

It's worth it for the speed alone -- everything is faster: viewport, loading, saving, rendering, migrating the DS3 database, scanning for new content. Tons of bug fixes as well.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Wao,, I have missed you long times. (get buck your icon img I hope,,)

Aiko aIKO aiko 5,,, ! AND ANIME GIRL NOT SO aNIME,, like A3 or HItomi, but,, SOME RIAL,,,,

THEN you made many good and happy topic for me (us)
    so I everytime serched your topic to learn.

then do you really challenge DS 4.5 oh,,,my,,, god,,,,

:shut:

that is joke.

now you will met two trouble if you use it.

1. duplicate ID problem

2. you can not save daz. sceane files correctly first.
    you may see exprosion so interesting figure.

but you can correct them in many case.:coolsmile:

1. use richard tool for remove duplicate ID for the dsf files
    or itemized history and reinstall ,
    but some (not a few) items has not updated still.

(actually I had known them , few months ago,, but it is antoher problem why daz officaly guide them us)

2 save as.duf again and save as. duf again.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6134/
    or takeo tutorial (I did not try it yet)
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6180/

3 about generation x and other plug ins,,

Iother guys will answer correctly about these.

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037
    edited December 1969

Thanks, kitakoredaz!

I appreciate it!

Also thanks, fixmypcmike for the informative feedback too.

I see reality is updated as well.

Will I need to re-download a lot of my already purchased content and reinstall it for 4.5 or is that recommended?

edited August 2012

mm,, I feel it is case by case.

if you installed many contents for genesis, and mad scene by it,
    you need to remove duplicate ID.

(though scott said , it does not cause actual trobule for me, just noizy and irritate ,
    when ever you load the items see the alert merk.
    )

then I think when first you use ds 4.5 ,and if you find duplicate ID,
    it is better you use Richard utility.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/740/

and I find good way to use it more easy.

1 you install it in my library > scripts (I recommend it for serch it easy)

2 then you right click the icon of "Fix Duplicate IDs"

3 you choose "create custom action"
    4, now you regist the script custom action, then you can use it from top menu whenever you want.

5, if you find duplicate ID erroer when load items with from contents library dsf,
    from top menu>Scripts you can access the scripts now.

6. your pc file exproer will open then, you chosse or select "dsf files" which you need to correct .
    (I had never tryed it on duf or, in data >folda files, you should not do it I think.
    only use on dsf files you can see in content library)

if you have full of time , after that you can reinstall new items from daz your accounts. I think

Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

The thread linked in my sig has the latest version numbers for Genesis items. There were a lot done in March and April.

edited December 1969

ACK! Does that mean that yes I DO need to re-install all my content?

*looks at size of content folder and whimpers*

But just the stuff with metadata, right?

Old Poser stuff should work fine, I would imagine.

edited December 1969

You don't need to update your older stuff, just Genesis stuff. Richard Haseltine has a script that fixes most of the Duplicate IDs problems, and if you use the Parameters tab instead of Shaping and Posing you can forego most of the updates.

edited August 2012

Crap... I use both Shaping and Posing tabs.... looks like I am in for a long night of downloads. *sigh*

Post edited by RKane_1 on
    edited August 2012

Crapola! Over 79 items for Genesis characters alone... damn you guys like my money. *chuckle* Okay a lot were freebies but still. *sigh*

Put the coffee on for me.

Post edited by RKane_1 on
    edited December 1969

"just Genesis stuff"

you say just.

but the just means for user who do not have so many items for genesis.

it has many means for some customer who used genesis and looking forword to the new items
    and almost every item when they show in DAZ shop,
    I hope you can udnersatnd the sorrow a little bit.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

You don't have to update all at once. You can just pick plugins that you need and run the fix on duplicate ID when needed and just update what can't be corrected through the script. The duplicate ID error doesn't prevent from working the scene. It's just annoying