Unsure how to save hand pose

clintondempseyclintondempsey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hi. I'm very new. I have searched for this some, but keep finding either "saving a whole pose" or discussions about advanced stuff that I'm not ready to deal with.

What I am trying to do is save *just* the hand posing. I spent time making it into a "grip" (or a fist, whatever) and don't want to have to do that every time.

I select the hand, then choose file>save as>Pose preset...and it saves the whole pose.

If I select the hand, then look in the scene hierarchy and click on the arrow-with-a-checkmark beside everything *except* the hand (so only the hand and it's children have the arrow-with-a-checkmark), it saves the whole pose.

What am I doing wrong? I want just the hand saved so that I can pose another figure however I want, but then use the pose on the hand. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

That is done like this, here I did just the right hand and the pose only effects the hand not its location.

Capture1.png
    479 x 752 - 37K
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • clintondempseyclintondempsey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you, sir! You are a gentleman among scholars! A pearl before swine!

I had the right-ish idea, but was doing it in the wrong place.

Thank you again!

• ArumbusArumbus Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

I am not so new and should be ashamed... (but I have never tried to develop a "product" before)

Here is my question to add to this.

I Create and save a few poses using the right hand - everything works just fine (just for the right hand).

How do I make it so it ask me to apply the hand pose to the right or left hand?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

I'm afraid you can't do that, you would have to save left and right versions (you can use the Symmetry command to copy the pose from one and to the other - it's in the Parameter pane option menu, reached by clicking the lined button in the pane's top corner).

edited December 1969

Thank you Richard.

How is it that some products I buy have hand poses and when I click on them I am asked whether to apply it to the Right or the Left Hand?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Poser had a specific format for hand poses, and it does that. DS just has a generic pose preset, so it doesn't have the handedness switch. Back when we were using script-based presets I did (partially, I think) work out how to add that by hacking the code, but with the pure data .duf files that isn't possible any more. You can save out a Poser-format .hd2 hand pose with the Poser Format Exporter script, that may be worth trying - especially if you are using an older figure.

edited December 1969

Thank you so much for you help and input

• strezoiualexandrustrezoiualexandru Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone. I Can see that this is , probably a dead topic, but found it while looking for how a save a hand pose. Anyway, found it, and it partialy works, because in my case, I'm trying to save the whole warm+forearm+hand+fingers pose. So , when saving pose, I select only color bone+right arm+ hand . But , when loading that pose on the same character I get the same fingers pose, but the arm is either in front or sideways, anyway, not in the same region of the body as it was when I saved that pose.
    What I'm trying to do, is save to multiple poses with a character doing daily stuff , poses that after I can combine to get movements. For example , holding a glass of wine at waist level and having a conversation while standing is similar to holding a bottle of beer at waist level and having a conversation. So , to save time, I'm trying to save a pose for this type of action, that I can use later on.
    Any idea of how I could do this? Thanks in advance, Alex.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Hello everyone. I Can see that this is , probably a dead topic, but found it while looking for how a save a hand pose. Anyway, found it, and it partialy works, because in my case, I'm trying to save the whole warm+forearm+hand+fingers pose. So , when saving pose, I select only color bone+right arm+ hand . But , when loading that pose on the same character I get the same fingers pose, but the arm is either in front or sideways, anyway, not in the same region of the body as it was when I saved that pose.
    What I'm trying to do, is save to multiple poses with a character doing daily stuff , poses that after I can combine to get movements. For example , holding a glass of wine at waist level and having a conversation while standing is similar to holding a bottle of beer at waist level and having a conversation. So , to save time, I'm trying to save a pose for this type of action, that I can use later on.
    Any idea of how I could do this? Thanks in advance, Alex.

Knit one, pearl two ;-)
    Replies started over here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/56459/