Anatomy of a DSF file

jared19_76551e8932jared19_76551e8932 Posts: 15
edited August 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,

Anyone can point me to a documentation/specification of a DSF file? I got something which when updated, while fixing previous errors, removes some feature I like in the previous version.

Currently I like to know the how information is formatted in the "geometry_library" "polylist" and the "uv_set_library" and how they compare to say Wavefront OBJ format.

Also, what decides a morph to show up where (Shaping or Parameters tab), cos when editing the "group" value, it sometime shows in one but not the other.

And I really like to know more about "operations" and the URL scheme.

Thanks

Post edited by jared19_76551e8932 on

Comments

• kervalakervala Posts: 184

I know it's an old post, but the "polylist" item is defined there in the documentation : http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/dson_spec/object_definitions/polygon/start

I'm currently comparing an OBJ with DSF generated from it to check what is really used from original OBJ :)

• kervalakervala Posts: 184

It looks like "vn" elements from OBJ (normal) are not used at all by DAZ Studio, it's a great news because I now know I won't need to fix them in Blender when they are wrong ;p And morphs DSFs only contain vertices that are modified.

• jared19_76551e8932 said:

Also, what decides a morph to show up where (Shaping or Parameters tab), cos when editing the "
    group" value, it sometime shows in one but not the other.

It's not defined by the Path(what you're referring to as 'group), it's defined by the Type, which is part of the Presentation section.

If the 'Type' is set to none(default for the Create New Property dialog), or Modifier, the morph will only show up under the parameters tab. When set to Modifier/Shape, it will also show up under the shaping tab.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

jared19_76551e8932 said:

Also, what decides a morph to show up where (Shaping or Parameters tab), cos when editing the "
    group" value, it sometime shows in one but not the other.

It's not defined by the Path(what you're referring to as 'group), it's defined by the Type, which is part of the Presentation section.

If the 'Type' is set to none(default for the Create New Property dialog), or Modifier, the morph will only show up under the parameters tab. When set to Modifier/Shape, it will also show up under the shaping tab.

If the morph hasn't been assigned to a "region" then it will never show in the Shaping tab, the "group" is where it will appear under the "region" it's been assigned to.

A couple of examples from inside some DSF files,

"region" : "Actor"
    "group" : "/Full Body/People/Real World"

"region" : "Head"
    "group" : "/People/Real World"

The "region" you are restricted to the ones coded into the figure, "group" can be anything you feel like using.