DAZ closed my DS bug reports.

DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Really angry.

DAZ just closed all my DS 4 bug reports. Said to resubmit as new bugs if stll bug in 4.5.

Two especially aggravating bugs I submitted well over a year ago never fixed, still in 4.5 - GUI things. Typing hurts me; even without that, why should I have to spend all the time retyping reports and recreating screen shots they asked for before which I haven't kept?

DAZ should have just migrated open bugs to DS 4.5.

Or requested follow-up if bug still present, bug to be closed in a week if no reply, then they migrate bug to 4.5 if reply yes within a week.

DAZ staff are being paid to work, not the customers.

Very, very angry.

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

I sympathize with you. I'd say more but I'll stop there.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Much easier for the developers to deal with fresh bug reports on things that are specific to the current release, rather than having to go through a lot of old bug reports, many of which would already have been solved during the testing for the new release.

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Much lazier.

And a complete lack of the values of customer service.

Or possibly a cynical attempt to get rid of the embarrassment of so many bugs being listed for newbies to see and be put off, by just closing them and hoping many people would be too weary of it to bother resubmitting.

I took the time and effort to make the bug reports, not just one liners but in detail.

I was asked for more information and clarifications and screenshots, and provided them.

I revisted the bugs every few releases, reminding that they still hadn't been addressed.

Originally submitted MAY 2011, still not addressed.

And now I have to go through it all again?

This is truly appalling behaviour.

As I said, they could have posted to each bug asking for a confirmation the bug still applied within a week rather than posting they were being closed. or, perish the thought, they might actually have checked themselves as it would take less than two minutes to confirm both of these.

Thiis shows a real contempt of their customers by DAZ.

What is the actual name of 'DoctorJellybean'? I want to make a formal complaint about his/her closing MY active bugs as high up the company as I can contact. With the amount of money I've spent here, and all the time I've spent in the past testing and bug reporting for DAZ I am sick and tired of being treated with contempt. And of being caused the pain that focusing and typing cause me for bug reports and posts and complaint forms and emails I shouldn't have to type.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Bug reports are revied by the developers, that is what they are there for. Most, if not all, of the bugs brought up will have been reviewed and hopefully fixed, providing there was enough information for them to be repoduced by the developers.

Now with a new release they need to know which, if any, of the bugs are still rearing their heads and if there are any new bugs.

So much more efficient to start a new set of bug reports which only address the current version.

It is not being lazy, it is being logical.

• delamardelamar Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Bug reports are revied by the developers, that is what they are there for. Most, if not all, of the bugs brought up will have been reviewed and hopefully fixed, providing there was enough information for them to be repoduced by the developers.

Now with a new release they need to know which, if any, of the bugs are still rearing their heads and if there are any new bugs.

So much more efficient to start a new set of bug reports which only address the current version.

well, as you say it is logical and it's fair enough. Although it's quite illogical, to say the least, that an unresolved bug ( 2011 ) was deleted.
    to me it is most logical that the guy got sick and tired. isn't it :)

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Are they requesting users re-test the steps to see if the new versions have fixed the open incidents or are they just closing the reports because a new version was released? Are they contacting the users to let them know the bug has been corrected or stating the issue will be addressed in an upcoming build? Arbitrarily closing a report is not a logical step if that is what is happening, what that will accomplish is fewer people will bother to report issues out of the futility of such a policy and the reputation of the software may be adversely affected.

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited August 2012

With my current job we do not close bugs reports because of a new release unless they are confirmed to be resolved. We don't just assume it's ok. We don't want to lose the history of the original ticket because there tends to be good information on how to replicate the bug and any ideas that may have been thrown around about how to resolve.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited August 2012

Closed bugs aren't deleted, though you have to change your settings in Mantis to see them.

This wouldn't have been a choice by a single person, but QA policy - as I recall, they ddi the same with DS3 reports when DS4 was released. I've had a raft of closed reports today too, some of which will require a fresh look (but most were no longer relevant, for one reason or another).

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I got notified that two crash bugs of mine were just closed. I've never worked anywhere that let people just close bugs out of hand like this. If the bug was fixed, it should have been marked as fixed and the build in which it was confirmed fixed should have been indicated. Pretty clearly no developer ever thought these bugs were fixed before. I included steps to reproduce in my bug reports. It would have been trivial to check them and close as "fixed in 4.5."

If the bugs are most likely irrelevant because a whole subsystem was recoded, say that when closing the bug. I don't honestly think that much thought went into these closures, though. I know it was a QA decision, not an individual developer decision-- and that only makes it worse.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Urgh, same happened to me. Since only the bug-reporter can reopen the bug, best wishes to the Bug Manager to cross-reference rare, hard to replicate bugs. Hardly "logical", but I guess some bugs were beginning to stink. ;)

• GnotMeGnotMe Posts: 131
    edited September 2012

chohole said:

Total Nonsense.

You simply e-mail the user and ask them to let you know if this is still an issue with the newest release and then not close it but update with the note that DS version x.xx has still not fixed the problem. I always used get e-mail about my bug reports to ask if it was still a problem, and always prior to closing the bug report. So much for your logic. As for efficiency, how about the efficiency for the users?

Otherwise you lose all the Good Will that user volunteers have, which is necessary to document all of the bugs, capture and send page captures, and error logs. I have spent many hours with each bug report that I submitted, as I am sure others have also done.

I'm sufficiently pissed at this point (with all store problems, the old forum problems) that I am no longer willing to do it, nor am I buying a lot of stuff like I used to. It is going to take me a lot of convincing to change my mind and YOUR REPLY is part of the problem.

I suggest you consider the point of view of the Bug Reporters before you dismiss all of the time consuming volunteer work that we do and have done. Perhaps take that chip off your shoulder and stop being defensive when you are unreasonable and inconsiderate.

Users please add your support to this posting if you agree with me.

Dan

PS Sorry if I got carried away. Cohole, is other than with this reply, a very nice person who, I just found out, makes a lot of wonderful textures available free to anyone. That's very considerate. Thanks!

Post edited by GnotMe on
  • Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

Don't get me wrong I like Daz but the most consistently useless aspect is bug reports. I have filed many in my time and none ever got solved. Some get closed out because they are the same as others or because a new version of Daz has come along but solved no. Now I am willing to accept that some have been solved sometime but in my sample of about 10 or so reports none did so statistically a solution is unlikely. Still it can be reassuring because you find out that others have the same problem so you know you are in the same boat as everyone else and you dont have a setup problem. Sometimes other users tell you something useful. Philosophically Daz Studio has made some very good technical progressions over the last few years so maybe that is the trade off. A quick advance to a later program gives less chance of ironing out all the creases.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

What??? If the above truly represents how they think and operate, then they clearly do not have a solid grasp on effective software quality principles. A good software house (with sufficient quality control) will not drop the current set of defects simply because it has made a new release! If the defects were not removed before 4.5, then they are still in 4.5 and still need to be addressed. They should not be relying on customers to re-submit defects already reported!