3D Model Master Training - Is it worth it?

Comments

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Funny, in some parts of the world people actually appreciate when others give advice that might help them out, or keep them from making a wrong turn. Not here. Here people argue with advice. Go figure.

Not always. The presentation of the advice goes a long way towards people accepting it...

Ah. I don't understand that, maybe it's my brain. To me, the usefulness of advice is what's important.

The most useful thing to my 3D work has been my background in set and scene lighting, and various arts, not any 3D tool or tutorial I've tried. But that's me.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Funny, in some parts of the world people actually appreciate when others give advice that might help them out, or keep them from making a wrong turn. Not here. Here people argue with advice. Go figure.

Not always. The presentation of the advice goes a long way towards people accepting it...

Ah. I don't understand that, maybe it's my brain. To me, the usefulness of advice is what's important.

The most useful thing to my 3D work has been my background in set and scene lighting, and various arts, not any 3D tool or tutorial I've tried. But that's me.

The advice is important yes, but depending on the presentation, it might not be perceived as advice.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

The advice is important yes, but depending on the presentation, it might not be perceived as advice.

If someone advises you to slow down when you're driving because there's a kid crossing the road in front of you, and you choose to ignore it because the guy didn't say it nicely, then who's the idiot?

I don't care if you ignore my advice, for whatever reason you choose. I'm not the one who loses.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited August 2012

JoeMamama wroteth

I don’t care if you ignore my advice, for whatever reason you choose. I’m not the one who loses.

That's not quite true Joe. You are obviously a well meaning, intelligent guy with a wealth of knowledge who is intent on sharing it.
    But why are you are intent on sharing it?
    There can be only a few reasons.
    For example:
    Either you want us to know that you have a wealth of knowledge....
    Or that you really do want people to take your advice.
    Of course the two are not mutually exclusive - but I am going for the second reason ;)

EDIT: removed last line because I was preaching - sorry Joe. ;)

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

If someone advises you to slow down when you're driving because there's a kid crossing the road in front of you, and you choose to ignore it because the guy didn't say it nicely, then who's the idiot?

I don't care if you ignore my advice, for whatever reason you choose. I'm not the one who loses.

Resort to hyperbole much? There's a difference between what I said in the context of the discussion and your answer and you know it.

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    JoeMamama wroteth

I don’t care if you ignore my advice, for whatever reason you choose. I’m not the one who loses.

That's not quite true Joe. You are obviously a well meaning, intelligent guy with a wealth of knowledge who is intent on sharing it.
    For example:
    Either you want us to know that you have a wealth of knowledge....
    Of course the two are not mutually exclusive - but I am going for the second reason ;)

EDIT: removed last line because I was preaching - sorry Joe. ;)

Headwax, maybe in your world all people have negative motives, like you imply, and those are the only two possibilities.

However, there are other reasons why someone would freely give advice, even after 5 or so years of people ignoring it and arguing with it. One is they are an idiot, which is definitely true in my case. Another is they are insane (doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results), which, again is true in my case.

And maybe you can't comprehend this one, but it's true. Another is that some people really do love this craft, and want others to discover and enjoy it in ways they may not have considered. Some teachers understand this, because they feel the same way. And often they realize it's a thankless task, and keep going on the hope that there's one kid out there who will benefit from what they learned sometime in the future. Sure, it would be nice to get some appreciation once a year, but for now I'll settle for people like you who try to knock me and my motives, solely because I try to help.

I continue to hope that there's someone quietly reading these forums, who isn't swayed by the loud haters and naysayers, who might actually benefit from what I post. If you can extract some sort of negative motive in all of that, then yes, I'm guilty of being whatever you want to characterize me as. Because with all due respect, what I post is not for you, or the others who try to knock me down, it's for the quiet guy who may be paying attention in the background. I already know where you guys stand, and your responses really don't matter.

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Thanks EvilProducer

That's what I was hoping someone would say.
    You can have the best advice in the world, but if you come off the wrong way, people might not be able to hear you.
    It really isn't hard to communicate ideas without insulting someone.

• 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

You are obviously a well meaning, intelligent guy with a wealth of knowledge who is intent on sharing it.
    For example:
    Either you want us to know that you have a wealth of knowledge….
    Of course the two are not mutually exclusive - but I am going for the second reason

Joe,
    headwax is a good guy, and was cutting you some slack.

what I post is not for you, or the others who try to knock me down,

You don't really think headwax was trying to knock you down? No way!

I read what he deleted and think he just was saying essentially, it matters how you (anyone) treat others as to how they
    accept what you are saying, or whether they listen at all, i.e. be civil, do unto others, etc. Just universal, common courtesy.

I'm sure he gives you credit as one who speaks with some degree of knowledge and experience. He's a pro in his own right,
    though he doesn't flaunt it.

I think you do want us to know that you have the experience, knowledge, and skill set of someone "in the industry",
    and that's fine. In fact, I'd like to know more about what you do, and have done. (btw, do you have a website or youtube
    or demo reel, etc?)

And I also appreciate the fact that you try to share your knowledge and experience with us here in spite of
    your schedule.

Just trying to be a peace maker. ;)

edited December 1969

And with that I will gracefully bow out of this and let you guys have the last word, and believe what you want to believe. The ocean is calling. :)

edited December 1969

Yeah, "I want to believe" :)

And the ocean is calling us, too, eh, headwax? ;)

Peace bro. :)

edited December 1969

Enjoy the stars Joe, unless it's cloudy of course. ;-)

edited December 1969

megacal said:

:)

Well it's been calling me for a while now... normally it says somehting like 'stop %$#$#@$#@#@ rendering and get wet instead"

1 month to go and I am repaired enough to be back in the water !
    gah!

cheers from Oz

edited December 1969

megacal said:

Ye of little faith...

Looks like it's gonna be stormy tonite....

Carrara.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 104K
    edited December 1969

Malibu?

We could use a good storm. %-P

edited December 1969

Dude, it's nighttime in Malibu. Where I am it's daytime.

edited December 1969

Thought you took it earlier .........no clue then. ;)

edited August 2012

megacal said:
    Thought you took it earlier .........no clue then. ;)

Nope, I took it not long after you implied to everyone I was being dishonest. Well, I took a swim first, but right after that.

BTW, I really don't appreciate it when someone implies I'm being dishonest. I'm sure you didn't intend that, but your post certainly read that way.

As usual, some people here seem to have rules that apply to everyone but themselves. Aren't you the guy who said "i.e. be civil, do unto others, etc. Just universal, common courtesy." ??

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
    edited August 2012

well it's not round here it's 'p87879ing' off shore at the moment

Joe....

at the risk of stating the obvious, I think you are mixing up people not taking your advice with people insulting you
    we all love you Joe, you give good advice ...

sorry about the crappy pic megacal, I had to stand up from my computer and take it ;)
    I get dizzy when I leave the wacom for more than ten seconds
    and I need to get the graphite outa my thumbnail :)

edited December 1969

Beautiful view mate! I can see why it would be difficult to look at
    while your shoulder heals. :cheese:

you implied to everyone I was being dishonest.

Joe,
    LOL! Are you kidding???
    That's a good one. :-P
    edited December 1969

megacal said:
    Beautiful view mate! I can see why it would be difficult to look at
    while your shoulder heals. :cheese:

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

megacal said:

I think you do want us to know that you have the experience, knowledge, and skill set of someone "in the industry",
    and that's fine. In fact, I'd like to know more about what you do, and have done. (btw, do you have a website or youtube
    or demo reel, etc?)

Yeah, what about that? Would love to see some of your work, Joe. Post a link.

edited August 2012

Call me impulsive (my wife does =), but just purchased Waldemar's Animation Master series.....also included
    17 GB's of bonus anim training.

Seemed like a safe bet at $57 with a 30-day money back if not satisfied, and wanted an Animation course
    anyway.....seemed like a very timely offer......is he watching this thread???

FYI, just got the email offer today, so don't know how long it's good.....assume it's open to anyone.

Re: Model Master......got past the first few mods that were really mostly for total noobs,
    but am getting into the meatier stuff and find it informative.

Can't say yet it was worth the price, but am more optimistic. ;)

That'll do it for me for a while....need to spend time on learning now.

Post edited by 3dcal on
    edited December 1969

megacal said:
    Call me impulsive (my wife does =), but just purchased Waldemar's Animation Master series.....also included
    17 GB's of bonus anim training.

Seemed like a safe bet at $57 with a 30-day money back if not satisfied, and wanted an Animation course
    anyway.....seemed like a very timely offer......is he watching this thread???

FYI, just got the email offer today, so don't know how long it's good.....assume it's open to anyone.

Re: Model Master......got past the first few mods that were really mostly for total noobs,
    but am getting into the meatier stuff and find it informative.

Can't say yet it was worth the price, but am more optimistic. ;)

That'll do it for me for a while....need to spend time on learning now.

OK! I'm going to be using you as my giunea pig. I'm interested in the animation course as well as the modeling one. Keep me posted. I don't care about these other guys(gals). You're working for me nowl:lol:

edited August 2012

yes me too :)

Not that I have any principles/principals...
    but
    you know I wouldn't do the course on principal/principle (?) because

Waldemar has long hair and he once sent me an email with a spelling mistake... ;)

Mind you, when I wrote to him and told him about the spelling mistake he was kind enough to write back and apologise...

(true story)

But seriously, learning a little bit from different teachers is a great idea. I'm sure it will be excellent - as someone said - the post work hints were worth the cost of admission...

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Like I said, jimzombie, it's up to you. There are alternatives out there, and if you think this is the best one, then go right ahead. I never said the course has zero value. That's not the point. The point is whether you'd get a much greater bang for your buck with another program.

I can pretty much guarantee there are courses out there taught by guys who are much better instructors with far more appropriate and practical experience, at comparable prices. Would you rather be taught lighting by this guy, or a guy who worked for 15 years at Disney, and also taught the artists who worked on some of their major films? It's up to you. All I can do is offer my advice, based on my experience. If you don't want to take it, it really doesn't matter to me. I ain't the one payin', and I ain't the one complainin' .... :)

Advice is fine, but I (and I assume ot5hers too) appreciate it more when it isn't coming from above upon the wings of superior beings condescending to my level (especially when most of it is stating the obvious). In general I don't see any training package as being a wrong turn (unless it contains inaccurate information and/or is overpriced. The DL packages are neither, especially if buying the MM at the discounted price (contains LM too). Just because one buys one training package it doesn't mean another couldn't be bought as well. Did you get through university with just one text book per field?

What other training packages are available that you know of - believe it or not this is one of the helpful pieces of info. I purchased MM because it was a general, basic course. (I purchased it before this thread began). It is likely I will purchase Phil Wilkes' Carrara Training Bundle. For a more detailed Carrara oriented product.

edited December 1969

Phil's training is very good. For Carrara specific training you can't go wrong. I haven't gotten the Advanced course, but I'm hoping for Santa to be very generous this Christmas.

edited December 1969

Yeah, I'll ask Santa for Phil's Advanced Carrara set, too. We're doubly fortunate to have him
    here as a mate, too. ;)

re: Waldemar's animation course....haven't had time yet to evaluate it, but first impressions are
    very good. He's pretty "laid back". :cheese:

It also "semi-generic", and will benefit someone who already is familiar with 3D apps, but
    that's a plus for me......it will force me to think globally, and see the Big Picture, or in this
    case, the Big Animation. :)

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

booksbydavid: "Phil’s training is very good. For Carrara specific training you can’t go wrong. I haven’t gotten the Advanced course, but I’m hoping for Santa to be very generous this Christmas."

Seems very good indeed - was just checking out the "free" lessons and learnt quite a bit already. It is amazing how many cool little features are hiding in plain sight. My birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I think santa is coming early ;)

I'm a total Carrara newb and have a couple of false starts at getting into it - put off by the seemingly clunky interface and GUI (which really isn't so bad once you get in there and have a good play), but more importantly by the lack of Genesis support which, as someone who joined in the fun as the new model was just breaking out, is quite important. Things are still a little shaky there, but seem to be getting better.

Megacal: "We’re doubly fortunate to have him" I have seen him about in the short time I've been here, so it is good to know there are quite a number of skilled users that frequent the place.

"It also “semi-generic”" - that's one of the best parts of it. It is very generic stuff, but still dips into those selected programs enough to give clear instructions.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

OK! I'm going to be using you as my giunea pig. I'm interested in the animation course as well as the modeling one. Keep me posted. I don't care about these other guys(gals). You're working for me nowl:lol:

Ditto! I am really torn on buying anything else from this guy given his penchant for rambling almost aimlessly and - more importantly - for spamming my inbox.

I'm not sure that I am ready to do animation yet; but it might be fun to get into.

edited December 1969

Ditto! I am really torn on buying anything else from this guy given his penchant for rambling almost aimlessly and - more importantly - for spamming my inbox.

I’m not sure that I am ready to do animation yet; but it might be fun to get into.

I agree....the rambling and the spam......and the doodling. :lol:

Haven't had much time to settle down and listen, much less to apply what he's teaching,
    but hope to spend at least an hour a day on the videos......this is going to take a few months to
    get through.

re: Animation.........it's very fun & addicting! In fact, I rarely bother with stills.......just pick a frame from
    the movie.

And that Beast you put together recently sounds like it was born to animate mate! :)

Cararra has some great animation features......the timeline and curve editor are a piece of cake.
    Also the Point At and the Spin modifiers make it very easy to track motion.

I'm hoping and optimistic that the Animation Master course will give me some new ideas. :)