Cybernetic Eye?

Styles2304Styles2304 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Has anyone come across anything like this? I'm trying to find a sort of robotic eye piece...something sort of bulky. Here's a picture of the 2d character I'm trying to recreate:
Robotic Eye Reference

Comments

• VI KnightVI Knight Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That reference image is really tiny. It is kind of hard to get an accurate view of what you are looking for.

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Has anyone come across anything like this? I'm trying to find a sort of robotic eye piece...something sort of bulky. Here's a picture of the 2d character I'm trying to recreate:
    Robotic Eye Reference

A featureless dark sphere with an orange glowy spot? rather easy to retexture the eyes for that.

• Styles2304Styles2304 Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

The featureless black sphere isn't the part I'm looking for . ] don't have access to my PS files or I would post a large image of what I'm looking for. You can see it a little better in this one . . .

Reference 2

I'm JUST looking for a viable replacement for the robotic eye. It's essentially a clunky robotic eye that is external. Anything along those lines would be sufficient.

Post edited by Styles2304 on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Hide the tear, lacrima, pupil and iris surfaces (opacity = 0). Remove the maps from the sclera surface and use a metal shader of choice for it (e.g., something from the Supersuit or Fisty's hardcore utility shader set). Set the Cornea surface to a solid red (or colour of choice) and make it an emitter (ambient value, or convert it to a UE light, etc -- I don't use the 3Delight renderer so I don't know exact details on this -- I render everything with LuxRender, where converting a surface to an emitter is trivial).

edited December 1969

Ok thank you! I'll give that a shot!

edited December 1969

I'm assuming I'm missing something. Is there a tutorial somewhere or perhaps something I should search for in order to learn more about how to make the changes you mentioned? I don't even know what section to be in to have access to these options.

lol I don't know enough about this to even know what questions to ask. Sorry for basically asking you to hold my hand through this.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

You want to be on the 'Surfaces' tab. Select the figure, and you should see a list of all the surfaces (also called material zones) for that figure in the Surfaces tab. You should see the various surfaces that make up the eyes near the bottom of the list.

Note that the surfaces for the eyes apply to BOTH eyes. If you want only one eye to have the cybernetic appearance, you'll need to use the polygon group editor to select that eye and make it into its own surfaces so you can apply settings individually.

As to best place to find documentation/tutorials on this, I'm not really sure. You could try doing some searches on YouTube.

• Dream9StudiosDream9Studios Posts: 125
    edited December 1969

Have you seen these? Look at the third one down (you can make one transparent/delete it so you have only one cybernetic eye) it looks to me most like the reference you posted.

Technophilia Eye Implants 1

edited December 1969

Outstanding. I just learned quite a bit AND ended up with almost exactly what I was looking for! Thank you all. You guys are a great community.