Ballpoint Pen Guy-Is this guy for real?

MarkR151MarkR151 Posts: 58
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

I'm not a Deviant Art member as many of you are, but I read a little while ago about an artist who draws everything with a ballpoint pen, and if this guy is to be believed, these photo-realistic images come from just that, he and his pens.

He's got a gallery there:

http://vianaarts.deviantart.com/

All I got to say is DAMN!!! I still don't know if I believe it!

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Since I don't know the guy, my intrinsic faith in human beings says he's legit unless otherwise shown to the contrary. Then again, he's also a lawyer. ;-)

Assuming they're real, which I will, since I have nothing to lose doing so, they're pretty incredible and the guy's either a genius or a savant. If I was buying the art based on being works produced exclusively with bic ballpoint pens, I would require proof.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

How many colours can you get ball point pens in ?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

So how does he do the white parts ? or is he working on white paper.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

I see him do it - then I believe

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    So how does he do the white parts ? or is he working on white paper.
    No idea...blank magic I guess. :P
    edited December 1969

It is very clever, I can't deny that, but I used to do fabric painting with pen type things, and could do nice tigers and things with them, but I had loads of colours. I drew my ginger tom on a cushion cover, came out really well. The cat claimed it for his special cushion.

edited December 1969

I agree great art nevertheless.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I had a friend in Commercial Art her name was Terry Clark or Clay not 100% any more, it was over twenty fives years ago. She worked in Pen and Ink mostly used a Knorr Rapidieograph , they have/had a ink well and different nibs/tips. Her work with just black ink on white paper was so lifelike, photoreal, she had to PROVE to our teacher, Charles Lamberth, that she did the art. She proved it by doing one of him in her free time in class.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Well so, blank ink on white (or off white) paper, yes I can definitely believe that as I've seen it. All those colors? I'm not sore sure UNLESS he draws black ink on white paper and then paints it the colors? As Pete said, very talented no matter how he accomplished it.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    Well so, blank ink on white (or off white) paper, yes I can definitely believe that as I've seen it. All those colors? I'm not sore sure UNLESS he draws black ink on white paper and then paints it the colors? As Pete said, very talented no matter how he accomplished it.
    Take a blue pen and draw a line on ART paper, the kind for water colors. Now take a red pen and draw OVER that red line. BOOM purple. The Paper lets the colors BLEED or Blend until the ink dries. I worked in water colors and inks as my main medium, I know it works.
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795
    edited December 1969

since he IS a lawyer, one would tend to believe him but a short accompanying YouTube video link of him on his page drawing something even using timelapse certainly would help sell his work!

edited December 1969

Okay, I'm a little Vocal on this one. Let me explain why. I was told MANY times that I DID NOT draw this and that I DID NOT Paint that. I did SELL as an artist folks, two commercial signs both of which lasted about twenty years until the business went under, one very small black on white Ink that sold for way more than I thought possible and one commisioned water color. That was all done here in my little part of the world that is not an ART mecha at all.

I'm saying give the guy the benifit of the doubt. Sure have your doubt's but I was doubted also. I still did what I did.

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Okay, I'm a little Vocal on this one. Let me explain why. I was told MANY times that I DID NOT draw this and that I DID NOT Paint that. I did SELL as an artist folks, two commercial signs both of which lasted about twenty years until the business went under, one very small black on white Ink that sold for way more than I thought possible and one commisioned water color. That was all done here in my little part of the world that is not an ART mecha at all.

I'm saying give the guy the benifit of the doubt. Sure have your doubt's but I was doubted also. I still did what I did.

I did stuff 50 years ago so what - I see him do - I believe
    but who cares .

edited December 1969

I actually found a site where someone was giving a mini tut on drawing with ballpoint pens, and as he explains it is all to do with the pressure one uses and the angle the pen is used at. Of course I can't find the page again. I clear browsing history everynight automatically

I am convinced that the guy is genuine,

• JayfeatherJayfeather Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    How many colours can you get ball point pens in ?

Bic Sells 2 different sets of color in the 4-colored-pen format alone, Totaling 8 Basic colors. I've seen Cheep, Low Quality pens that have 10-colors each. So a special set of individual mid to high quality pens with that match or exceed that range are sure to exist.

Even so, many of the colors we precise in art and nature are merely the close proximity of two different colors. Order a regular (not white) raspberry mocha from Starbucks and pay attention to the overall color of the beverage to get my point.