GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The Poseworks 2009 Shader Bundle was updated on the 17th, version numbers are 1.2 and do work with DS 4.5.

The only thing that needs to be uninstalled manually is the CMS, it does not get uninstalled when DS 4.5 is installed.

If you have the Dynamic Clothing Control (the paid one), make sure to reset it and install, as the basic control will not be restored when you install DS 4.5. If you only had the basic control it will be updated when you install DS 4.5.

• LeggyBlondLeggyBlond Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

Having eventually discovered that resetting my downloads for DS4 only got me the old version and then added the free version of DS4.5 to my cart and downloaded a plethora of files...there is something's that are not clear at all!

I currently have DS4 'Advanced' (4.0.3.47.) installed and judging by both the promo at the beginning of this forum and comments and questions made since these are my concerns:-

All I want to do is update my DS 4 Advanced to DS4.5 Advanced but reading some of the posts here it seems to me that I will be perpetually annoyed by having to enter my own serial number every time I use it...that is unacceptable.

As much as the DS4.5 file reads 'DAZStudio_4.5.0.114_ etc' it has no 'Pro' in the name yet according to some of the post it is pro and that's that.

Going back in time not that long ago an update would be simply put in ones downloads or a reset would simply give you a version you could use to update your particular version be it Advanced, Pro or whatever.

Now it seems with this version at least for me, to simply update my existing 'Advanced' version will most likely cause all sorts of aggravation not the least of which is having to repeatedly enter my serial number!!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited August 2012

I have the same problem, except I am running DSPro 4.5 on a MAC. I downloaded and installed the Genesis Essential 1.3 bundle, but that did not solve the issue. I now see the Genesis figure in the content, but when I try to open it, I get the cannot find the genesis.dsf file.

Make sure the content was installed to the default location from the installer.
    Select > Content Library Tab
    Open the > Content Library Options Menu (see screen capture below)
    Select > Content DB Maintenance...
    Check > Process Metadata Queue and Re-Import Metadata... > Accept
    Now check to see if the content shows up properly in your Smart Content Tab

And that's the flaw in the entire system. FORCING folks to have the content where you deemed it be in order for the Smart Content area to work. That was always one of the beautiful things about DAZ Studio, there was never a set place for things to be. While it makes sense to have SOME structure so that it's not a total mess telling folks to put materials here or there, all the clothing in one folder and so forth and so on so that this flawed system works is just that ..... flawed... I think I'll PASS!

Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

I have the same problem, except I am running DSPro 4.5 on a MAC. I downloaded and installed the Genesis Essential 1.3 bundle, but that did not solve the issue. I now see the Genesis figure in the content, but when I try to open it, I get the cannot find the genesis.dsf file.

Make sure the content was installed to the default location from the installer.
    Select > Content Library Tab
    Open the > Content Library Options Menu (see screen capture below)
    Select > Content DB Maintenance...
    Check > Process Metadata Queue and Re-Import Metadata... > Accept
    Now check to see if the content shows up properly in your Smart Content Tab

And that's the flaw in the entire system. FORCING folks to have the content where you deemed it be in order for the Smart Content area to work. That was always one of the beautiful things about DAZ Studio, there was never a set place for things to be. While it makes sense to have SOME structure so that it's not a total mess telling folks to put materials here or there, all the clothing in one folder and so forth and so on so that this flawed system works is just that ..... flawed... I think I'll PASS!

It doesn't actually, especially now that DS 4.5 can export your user data, so future updates don't mess up any modified paths you've made for the metadata. I think Blaine was just referring to making sure that the path DS 4.5 is looking in for the main content folder and the path the Genesis Starter Essentials was installed to match.

• nwleee_a52bfead84nwleee_a52bfead84 Posts: 105
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    Leee said:
    My question also seemed to have gotten lost in the crowd a couple of pages back, so... sorry, I'm reposting it:

Is Daz Studio 4.5 an official release now, or is it still in Beta? When I reset my download for Daz Studio 4 Advanced, I still got version 4.0.3.47. But if I reset my download for Daz Studio 4.5 Candidate Release, I get version 4.5.0.90 which is the same version I downloaded as a Candidate Release almost a month ago.

I just checked the change log and it seems that 4.5.0.114 is the latest release, so why I am still not getting it whenever I reset either of those downloads I mentioned above? And is this a beta or an actual release?

Can someone please simplify this for my confused brain?

Thanks!!!

It is an actual release, but it is DSPro 4.5......

As you have Advanced, you need to go to the store and "buy" the Pro version:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/software/daz-studio-4/daz-studio-4-pro
    It's free.

From a few pages ago......:)

Thanks Cymbidium, I appreciate you clearing that up for me. But is DSpro 4.5 free for everyone or just previous owners of Advanced or Pro? I guess I'm still a little confused. I thought DS standard was free and Advanced and Pro cost money?

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

Having eventually discovered that resetting my downloads for DS4 only got me the old version and then added the free version of DS4.5 to my cart and downloaded a plethora of files...there is something's that are not clear at all!

I currently have DS4 'Advanced' (4.0.3.47.) installed and judging by both the promo at the beginning of this forum and comments and questions made since these are my concerns:-

All I want to do is update my DS 4 Advanced to DS4.5 Advanced but reading some of the posts here it seems to me that I will be perpetually annoyed by having to enter my own serial number every time I use it...that is unacceptable.

As much as the DS4.5 file reads 'DAZStudio_4.5.0.114_ etc' it has no 'Pro' in the name yet according to some of the post it is pro and that's that.

Going back in time not that long ago an update would be simply put in ones downloads or a reset would simply give you a version you could use to update your particular version be it Advanced, Pro or whatever.

Now it seems with this version at least for me, to simply update my existing 'Advanced' version will most likely cause all sorts of aggravation not the least of which is having to repeatedly enter my serial number!!

The difference between Standard, Advanced and Pro is the serial number (and Pro comes with a few extra installers, for additional plugins like GoZ and the Photoshop Bridge). I'm not sure what will happen if you enter your Advanced serial number, but you can use the free Pro serial number and not lose any features you had in Advanced.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

Help! Geometry error. How do I fix it?

geometry.JPG
    488 x 369 - 30K
  • CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Leee said:
    Cymbidium said:
    Leee said:
    My question also seemed to have gotten lost in the crowd a couple of pages back, so... sorry, I'm reposting it:

Is Daz Studio 4.5 an official release now, or is it still in Beta? When I reset my download for Daz Studio 4 Advanced, I still got version 4.0.3.47. But if I reset my download for Daz Studio 4.5 Candidate Release, I get version 4.5.0.90 which is the same version I downloaded as a Candidate Release almost a month ago.

I just checked the change log and it seems that 4.5.0.114 is the latest release, so why I am still not getting it whenever I reset either of those downloads I mentioned above? And is this a beta or an actual release?

Can someone please simplify this for my confused brain?

Thanks!!!

It is an actual release, but it is DSPro 4.5......

As you have Advanced, you need to go to the store and "buy" the Pro version:
    http://www.daz3d.com/shop/software/daz-studio-4/daz-studio-4-pro
    It's free.

From a few pages ago......:)

Thanks Cymbidium, I appreciate you clearing that up for me. But is DSpro 4.5 free for everyone or just previous owners of Advanced or Pro? I guess I'm still a little confused. I thought DS standard was free and Advanced and Pro cost money?

You're very welcome! Pro was made free for an unspecified time a while ago , as far as I remember, but it did used to cost money - I was one of the early adopters who paid for it. :0) The update is also 'free' if you buy it, but obviously I don't know how long it will remain free, so get it while you can.......;) From the product page 'available for FREE for a limited time'.

edited December 1969

anikad said:

What's the item?

• inquireinquire Posts: 2,088
    edited December 1969

The Poseworks 2009 Shader Bundle was updated on the 17th, version numbers are 1.2 and do work with DS 4.5.

The only thing that needs to be uninstalled manually is the CMS, it does not get uninstalled when DS 4.5 is installed.

If you have the Dynamic Clothing Control (the paid one), make sure to reset it and install, as the basic control will not be restored when you install DS 4.5. If you only had the basic control it will be updated when you install DS 4.5.

See, here's another one of these things that confuse me, and probably one or two others. We're told that the "only thing that needs to be uninstalled manually is the CMS." Well, I don't even know what the CMS is -- the Content Management Service? And, whatever it is, and wherever it is, how do I uninstall it manually? Do I just drag it to the trash, on a Macintosh?

• HIMMAGESHIMMAGES Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am completely lost now. I install daz studio 4.5 pro to default location. I understand we need to reset "all" the genesis downloads, again because they have been updated? I do so and after installing them I start studio and genesis is broken again. Somebody please tell me how to tell if I have the "correct" version for this genesis mess before I just wipe it off my drive and try poser?. What a mess.

edited December 1969

I really wish DAZ had told us, when DS4 came out, and I and others started buying Genesis Products, that this horrible mess would be coming up with version 4.5. I would have waited, and waited, and waited, and waited, and . . . oh, yes, and waited. Now I have products like Corbin for M5. How am I supposed to know when an update is available? Yes, yes, I know, that magical list that is pages long. How very convenient. And from that list of updated Genesis products, here's a snipit to make anyone's day:

" D.) Uninstall and re-instal the items that have problems. Make sure the troubled items are fully uninstalled. Make sure you are installing them into the correct folder as this can be the cause of the problem. Repeat Steps A through C now. If it fixed it your finished. If it didn’t go to Step E.

"E.) Contact Daz support and tell them what is going on and what you have done to try and fix it. They can help you at this point."

And here's a real beauty if you are trying to update:

"If you start getting errors, can’t start Studio, or get told when installing an item Genesis can’t be located , you need to reinstall Studio. One or more of the older uninstallers will remove some of the Genesis files and some Studio 4 files that it wasn’t supposed to I discovered a few days ago when I couldn’t launch Studio with out error messages after doing updates."

Oh, so you can have an "older uninstaller" remove some Genesis files and some Studio files "that it wasn't supposed to" -- isn't that wonderful?

I think this is a horribly messy situation for DAZ3D to have gotten us into. Is there any remorse, any sign of guilt, any regrets that customers are undergoing this? There have been so many enormous problems in going from one version of DAZStudio to another that I just can't believe this is happening yet again.

I am not updating to DAZStudio 4.5. I don't want to say never and then have to eat my words, but at least not at this time.

edited December 1969

Is Corbin giving errors? Not everything needs updating, and some errors (Duplicate IDs) can often be fixed without grabbing the updated files (though I would advise getting the latest versions over time, as there may be other fixes).

As a note to all, several of the morph sets that weren't showing in the Shaping pane have been updated - I've added a list to the FAQ thread, though I gather any product not on the list but with a lower SKU number should also be updated already.

edited December 1969

anikad said:

The item with a problem should be replaced with a stack of bounding boxes - that looks like something in .dsf format, rather than a Poser format item, for what it's worth.

edited December 1969

HIMMAGES said:
    I am completely lost now. I install daz studio 4.5 pro to default location. I understand we need to reset "all" the genesis downloads, again because they have been updated? I do so and after installing them I start studio and genesis is broken again. Somebody please tell me how to tell if I have the "correct" version for this genesis mess before I just wipe it off my drive and try poser?. What a mess.

Did you install the Genesis Starter Essentials?

edited December 1969

HIMMAGES said:

Did you install the Genesis Starter Essentials?

yes. however it seems for 4.5 pro we need to reset all genesis related files and re install them as they have been given newer release numbers? I just hope next week they don't re-re release another 4.55 version and I will have to go through this all over again. I really don't understand the need to re install a product so many times. There must be another better way like a patch rather than this.

edited December 1969

I hope DAZ does rethink what's it is doing here and does not lead us into the Valley of the Shadow of DAZ again!

• GigabeatGigabeat Posts: 164
    edited August 2012

YES, resetting files is a big *PAIN*. :shut:

Following is link to forum thread I started with suggestion to Daz.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6261/

Hopefully Daz is listening even though my post has got no confirmation otherwise. :long:

Post edited by Gigabeat on
  • Blaine91555Blaine91555 Posts: 148
    edited December 1969

Before I install I have a couple of questions. I've been so wrapped up learning other software I installed 4 and pretty much ignored it for later. I liked it enough I'm wanting to learn it now and I've skipped upgrading Poser Pro 2010 to 2012. I think I likely made a mess of everything when I installed, so I want to start with a clean install.

What folder do I need to be concerned about to not remove the registration (if that's the case)?

On the updates, I have a lot of old purchases of various characters, animals and what not. Are many of them now updated for the new Daz Studio and should I think about downloading them all before installing?

Thanks for any help.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited August 2012

That is just plain retarded. I have nearly 200G of DS content. I am suppose to re install all of my Genesis content and HOPE there is no duplicate errors just like it never worked with reinstalling the genesis add on morphs. Daz may do to itself what 2K sports did to their video game franchise.... No wonder the program is free.....

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • blacksketchblacksketch Posts: 1
    edited August 2012

when I installed 4.5, all my morph files gone missing :ahhh: it was a pain in the ass... but... I had to re-install everything in order for everything to work... took a whole day.... that was the only way I could fix this problem.

Post edited by blacksketch on
  • KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

I'm not understanding why people are reinstalling everything that has been updated. Some stuff I am sure does need updating but having a number over 1.0 doesn't mean that the product has had a significant update or even that it was updated after release. I know we have had a 1.1 product that was updated well before release and that the update had nothing to do with the change to .duf files. I'm also guessing that some of those updates are based on them wanting .duf available in sets rather than a lack of functionality in studio 4.5.

edited December 1969

The only reason I for one have had to re install is that if you don't genesis breaks. You get an error that genesis is missing a file. After speaking with customer support about this the only fix is to remove the products, re download the updated genesis files and re install. if you have something simpler I will do it gladly.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

The question isn't about reinstalling so much is why people are reinstalling everything that has been updated at all.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

anikad said:

The item with a problem should be replaced with a stack of bounding boxes - that looks like something in .dsf format, rather than a Poser format item, for what it's worth.

Sorry I don't understand this statement at all. The item is not loading, I'm getting error boxes. Why am I getting error boxes? The item is something in .dsf format.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    jeanke said:
    Cymbidium said:
    jeanke said:
    Cymbidium said:
    Just found a new prob - InaneGlory's Photo Studio 1 lights cause an immediate crash to desktop. Guess these will have to be updated also? Anyone else experienced this? *scissors*

That's what happens to me too, i do hope they'll get an update! :roll:

And it's both 1 and 2.

Grtz Jean-Claude

Ps: any one filled in a bug report for that???

Sort of glad it wasn't only me, but that's not promising. Only have '1', but I guess they would be essentially the same light shaders so not surprising they are both affected. I haven't filled in a bug report (never having made one before) - was really waiting to see how many more people had experienced this.

I'll fill one in, we'll see what happens. Atleast they know it's a problem :).

Grtz Jean-Claude

Thanks Jean-Claude!! :) I suppose it may be a case that the vendor will have to make the decision whether to spend time upgrading, but it would be really annoying if it wasn't done. Haven't tested many other light sets, since working on a new character right now. Hoping that there aren't too many more affected by the new version. *fingerscrossed*

Hey Cymbidium,
    Sorry to be a few days late in answering this. This is a very long thread. The problem with both Photo Studio products is exactly the same issue Jepe noted here about the UberAreaLight shader:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5343/P15/#74595
    And DAZ_Spooky addressed here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5343/P105/#75202

Notes have been added to the bug tracker and the appropriate Daz people are giving the issue their attention. The good news is once the area light shader is functioning again, the Photo Studio products will also function. No updating should be needed. Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention. Please feel free to PM myself or InaneGlory for help at any time about any of our products.

Thanks for helping out Jean-Claude and thanks to DAZ_Spooky and Doctor Jellybean for the fast responses on the bug tracker.

• SpyroRueSpyroRue Posts: 5,020
    edited August 2012

So, I have an idea for daz...

Not sure if it should be posted here, but i haven't came across a more applicable thread.

When you save a preset pose, it would be nice to have an option or options that ticks ONLY all Rotations, all Translations and all Scaling.

For example, I use genesis, and have made many characters but like to make myself preset poses 'Generic' for all my Gn people... I have to select all then go through each individual body part to un-check scaling... It's Soooo time consuming, otherwise when the saved pose in applied to a character, it will completely re-scale them, and they become some crazy morph.

Any way, Just a thought to daz :)

I'm lovin Studio 4.5, it's so much more reliable and fast too!

Also, It'd be cool to have a Sticky Daz suggestion thread, where every one could add suggestions, compliments and feedback to the daz admin team :)

Post edited by SpyroRue on
  • LeggyBlondLeggyBlond Posts: 124
    edited December 1969

It seems to me that anyone that has only got DS 4.0 Advanced have been both left in the dark and forgotten about. The lack of information for us is conspicuous by it's absence and that does not endear me to the current DAZ protocols.

Reading through this forum has lead me to conclude that apart from excluding a lot of information for the rest of us 'Advanced' owners, the whole installation process for anyone else is convoluted, fraught with issues and generally a complete and utter screw up.

I consider myself by no means IT illiterate.... this Lady built this machine, configured it and resolves issues. Typical of many people directly involved in writing/creating software, they leave out the details when passing it on to us mere mortals. Without a thought, because they understand things having wrote/created the software, they unwittingly assume that the rest of us are mind readers.

A lot more dotting of the 'I's' and crossing of the 'T's' would by no means be amiss.

For now I am not even going to attempt installing DS 4.5 until or even if! there is a version that simply updates my version without all the ridiculous convolutions and dancing around the may pole.

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    jeanke said:
    Cymbidium said:
    jeanke said:
    Cymbidium said:
    Just found a new prob - InaneGlory's Photo Studio 1 lights cause an immediate crash to desktop. Guess these will have to be updated also? Anyone else experienced this? *scissors*

That's what happens to me too, i do hope they'll get an update! :roll:

And it's both 1 and 2.

Grtz Jean-Claude

Ps: any one filled in a bug report for that???

Sort of glad it wasn't only me, but that's not promising. Only have '1', but I guess they would be essentially the same light shaders so not surprising they are both affected. I haven't filled in a bug report (never having made one before) - was really waiting to see how many more people had experienced this.

I'll fill one in, we'll see what happens. Atleast they know it's a problem :).

Grtz Jean-Claude

Thanks Jean-Claude!! :) I suppose it may be a case that the vendor will have to make the decision whether to spend time upgrading, but it would be really annoying if it wasn't done. Haven't tested many other light sets, since working on a new character right now. Hoping that there aren't too many more affected by the new version. *fingerscrossed*

Hey Cymbidium,
    Sorry to be a few days late in answering this. This is a very long thread. The problem with both Photo Studio products is exactly the same issue Jepe noted here about the UberAreaLight shader:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5343/P15/#74595
    And DAZ_Spooky addressed here:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5343/P105/#75202

Notes have been added to the bug tracker and the appropriate Daz people are giving the issue their attention. The good news is once the area light shader is functioning again, the Photo Studio products will also function. No updating should be needed. Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention. Please feel free to PM myself or InaneGlory for help at any time about any of our products.

Thanks for helping out Jean-Claude and thanks to DAZ_Spooky and Doctor Jellybean for the fast responses on the bug tracker.

Thanks for clearing this up for me and Jean-Claude! :) I'm relieved to know it is being looked at. Hopefully not too many more things have been broken by this new update, though I know there are always some problems that have not been discovered with new versions.

• JasmineSkunkJasmineSkunk Posts: 1,862
    edited December 1969

OK...I'm confused what you guys are saying. I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.5 and the only thing I had to do to get everything working was:

#1 - Install the Genesis Starter Essentials
    #2 - Insert new serial number for 4.5
    #3 - Update the PLUG-INS that have been updated (Like Reality)

I didn't have to reinstall all my Genesis content or any other content.

All my stuff works.