Utility to repair damaged Installers Available

Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
edited July 2012 in The Commons

I have written a small utility that will repair the files downloaded from the DAZ site. It is available for Windows here:

http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/krsears/utilities/

There is a zip file with both 32 and 64 bit exe’s in there. This is on a low bandwidth server, but is only a tad over 1M in size, so be patient. If the load becomes too high I will transfer it to my high-bandwidth servers.

I have also written a version for Mac. If you are a Mac user and need it please PM me and I'll make it available.

The Download for the 4.5 Release Candidate is also affected. This utility will repair that as well.

Kendall

UPDATE:

New versions available for download. Handles new problems for those in need.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on

Comments

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

OMG! Thank you! :)

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586
    edited December 1969

I have not downloaded anything yet from the new site, but this should come in handy. Thank you

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

The utility has actually been available since yesterday and has been covered in the "Problems with older products (installer doesn`t work)" thread on Page 3 of the commons (http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/217/)

However, I have created this thread to hopefully make the utility more visible to those not searching the forums.

Kendall

edited December 1969

This works like a charm! Thank you!

Oh, and btw... for some reason the forum wanted to put this thread to last page. :P I hope the post order gets stabbed ASAP...

edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    This works like a charm! Thank you!

Oh, and btw... for some reason the forum wanted to put this thread to last page. :P I hope the post order gets stabbed ASAP...

I've talked to the mod crew. I imagine(hope) that they're debating my request to make this thread a temporary sticky. Actually, that's part of the reason I separated it from the original thread.

Kendall

• s l fs l f Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much for this. :)

edited December 1969

s l f said:
    Thank you very much for this. :)

You're very welcome.

Kendall

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

Thank you, Kendall.

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited December 1969

Thank you. It was thoughtful for you to do this utility and to share it. Hopefully having something like this will ease some of the frustration people feel, esp. those trying to complete projects with looming deadlines.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Awesome!

Thanks, Kendall.

This will come in very handy, as you know, since I am slowly re-installing my old stuff, still.

edited December 1969

@AtticAnne, @3dProclivity, and Aidana

You are all welcome. I wrote the utility so that some of the stress could be relieved for all involved.

I hope I was somewhat successful. :-) Now let's have some fun with the content!

Kendall

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

thanks a ton, the 64bit crashed on my Win7 64bit machine but the 32bit version worked flawlessly. This is a lifesaver, I just purchases some content yesterday and it won't work and Daz hasn't responded so your tool is the real winner.

edited December 1969

thanks a ton, the 64bit crashed on my Win7 64bit machine but the 32bit version worked flawlessly. This is a lifesaver, I just purchases some content yesterday and it won't work and Daz hasn't responded so your tool is the real winner.

Please PM me with the details of the "crash" with the 64 bit version. I need the version of your Win7, as well as machine config, and of course any errors that were reported. There is nothing in the code that could cause a crash, so I'm very curious about what the issue is.

Thanks.
    Kendall

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited December 1969

I have written a small utility that will repair the files downloaded from the DAZ site. It is available for Windows here:

There is a zip file with both 32 and 64 bit exe’s in there. This is on a low bandwidth server, but is only a tad over 1M in size, so be patient. If the load becomes too high I will transfer it to my high-bandwidth servers.

I have also written a version for Mac. If you are a Mac user and need it please PM me and I'll make it available.

The Download for the 4.5 Release Candidate is also affected. This utility will repair that as well.

Kendall

Am definitely downloading this when I get home...thank you!

edited December 1969

Please PM me with the details of the "crash" with the 64 bit version. I need the version of your Win7, as well as machine config, and of course any errors that were reported. There is nothing in the code that could cause a crash, so I'm very curious about what the issue is.

Thanks.
    Kendall

For those interested: the "crash" has been traced to Symantec Endpoint causing a problem with Window's FileDialog.

Kendall

• alexandre01alexandre01 Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

I tried the last fixing program, but it doesn't work at all (no message, no new file fixed created...)
    Is there something i did wrong ?

Edit : the program works also for poser ?

Post edited by alexandre01 on
    edited May 2012

I tried the last fixing program, but it doesn't work at all (no message, no new file fixed created...)
    Is there something i did wrong ?

Edit : the program works also for poser ?

Depending on when you downloaded it, you may have got the version for the original problem. The current version is set to fix either the old problem, current problem, or newer similar problems.

The utility is for any file that currently comes from DAZ's site that is experiencing the appendage problem. Regardless of type.

Hopefully DAZ will resolve the download problem soon and this utility will no longer be needed.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • alexandre01alexandre01 Posts: 0
    edited May 2012

i downloaded all the versions of the program and tried them one after the other (sorry for my bad english, i'm french and i....didn't practice a lot ^^) the first ones told me that no problem was found, and the last version seems to do nothing at all (no message like the others, and no new .exe created)

my system is : pc win7 64bits and poser 8

Post edited by alexandre01 on
    edited December 1969

i downloaded all the versions of the program and tried them one after the other (sorry for my bad english, i'm french and i....didn't practice a lot ^^) the first ones told me that no problem was found, and the last version seems to do nothing at all (no message like the others, and no new .exe created)

my system is : pc win7 64bits and poser 8

The program runs directly under Windows, from the Explorer. Poser should not be involved in any way.

You will get either a "Done." message if it found and fixed a problem, or a "No error found in a reasonable space" message if not.

If you get neither, then the utility did not run.

Kendall

• Dr_FrankenshroomDr_Frankenshroom Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I tried to get but could not d/l it or create an account.

edited December 1969

click on the link below:

click on the text "no thumbnail" above the bold FixDaz

click on "Download archive"

save the archive to your local drive. Unzip the version you need and run it.

Kendall

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Thank you soooo much for this fix!

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,707
    edited May 2012

I've been working on updating the DAZ Content downloader during the last week, and it appears that for some reason it doesn't corrupt the files like the browsers do. I've made MD5 compares between several files downloaded in the past, and the same files downloaded from the new store, and they're all 100% identical.

The downside is that if you download more than one file at a time you get error messages for half of the files, and they are not saved, because of some randomly occuring protocol error on the server (and you'll lose a retry each time a file errs). But it works if you only download one file at a time (at least I haven't had any errors yet, doing this).

Post edited by Taoz on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

I've downloaded and unzipped this but can't seem to work out what exactly I'm suppose to do with it.
    Thanks

edited December 1969

Do you have installers with the icon shown below? Bought right after store change? And do they fail to work?

If the answer is "yes" to all three, then start either version (32 bit or 64 bit, as befits your Windows) of the fixer program.

Load the broken installer into the upper box, then pick where you want to save the fixed version. Run program.

old_installer.png
    48 x 45 - 2K
    edited December 1969

If you've downloaded one of the damaged installers then you will run them through this utility to make them usable by Windows again.

First step is to click on "browse" for the input and then navigate to the damaged installer.

Next, click on "browse" for the output and type in a unique name for the output file. You may also select a filename from the dialog and change it. If you try to use an existing filename the utility will refuse to run.

Next, click on "Go" If the utility finds an error it can fix it will do so. Otherwise, it will tell you it can't and will exit.

If it tells you "Done." then you can run the newly created installer.

Kendall

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to create this utility.

You are truly a dynamic individual with many layers (I bow to you Sensei).

Take care...
    Ken

edited December 1969

DaremoK3 said:
    Thank you for taking the time from your busy schedule to create this utility.

You are truly a dynamic individual with many layers (I bow to you Sensei).

Take care...
    Ken

I thank you for your respect, but there's no need for bowing. All of us Martial Artists are equals. Besides, it was just a little code-fu. Penguin Style. Nothing fancy. :-)

Kendall

edited December 1969

Since I had a request for it finally, I have just posted the Intel Mac version of the utility to the gallery.

Kendall

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

I got it sorted. Thank you