Top 5 Things I Miss

2»

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Notices stop until you return to that thread. That's the way it works for me any way.

• TorbyTorby Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

I certainly miss the MAC/PC filter on downloads page, it gets confusing when packs have various downloads that fill pages of info.

Yes! Rather confusing for PC users as .zip means something to us too.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    It has been explained, several times, that Daz3D is in the process of changing from installers to zip files. Once the entire catalogue is converted there will be no need for a filter to show only PC or only Mac files, because there will be just one generic file which will work with both platforms.

So instead of wating time progarmming a short lived filter they are using the time to do other things which are needed.

How long will that take, 4 months?, 6 months? a year? Considering how many files need to be converted in that catalogue we'll be lucky if it happens by next June if that. It would have been easier to have the option at launch and then switch over to zip files when they are done and ready. At this rate I may never get everything reinstalled due to dying of old age because its taking forever to do them.

Good point! While the "S" word was not mentioned, it is still DAZ and the "S" word is already assumed.

I haven't done any programming in years, but I am thinking that as long as both stores were written in the same code, some of the things I listed should be fairly cut and paste.

I did notice that although an administrator did touch on the zip filter, none of the other features was mentioned. Does this mean that they are on someone's To-Do-List (like the zips which were discussed for years before the new software) and may arrive sometime before interstellar travel or not planned on at all?

Actually the switch to zips was only announced around the time of the new store launch. Many older items (the ones that don't install on newer Macs) are already in zips. However, the full switch to zips is waiting on the Install Manager, which in turn is waiting on the store bugs being fixed, as the check-for-updates-and-download-only-the-changed-files feature requires website work.

• LmWolfSpiritLmWolfSpirit Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

Actually the switch to zips was only announced around the time of the new store launch. Many older items (the ones that don't install on newer Macs) are already in zips. However, the full switch to zips is waiting on the Install Manager, which in turn is waiting on the store bugs being fixed, as the check-for-updates-and-download-only-the-changed-files feature requires website work.

I am very glad to see DAZ going to zips for the PC also. However, if there is no change in being able to only see Mac or PC files, then the confusion is going to be even greater. At least now, we can weed out whether to download exe or zip (and hope we get all the needed files).

edited December 1969

I am very glad to see DAZ going to zips for the PC also. However, if there is no change in being able to only see Mac or PC files, then the confusion is going to be even greater. At least now, we can weed out whether to download exe or zip (and hope we get all the needed files).

No, there won't be separate PC and Mac downloads for content, once they are in .zips -- the content is the same, it was the installers that needed to be platform-specific.

edited December 1969

Does that mean that there will be NO difference in the files or that there will be a separate _MACOS (?) folder included in the zip?

edited December 1969

Does that mean that there will be NO difference in the files or that there will be a separate _MACOS (?) folder included in the zip?

No difference in the files. No need for a separate MACOS folder.

• jr5jr5 Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

If I could put in my 2cents worth - perhaps including the size of the files on the "My Downloadable Products" pages ?

edited December 1969

Cool! Thank you for the information!

Any ideas about the reinstatement of the other features I mentioned?

edited December 1969

I know 1, 2, and 3 are on the list, don't know the relative priorities, I haven't heard 5 mentioned, but I'll see if I can find out.

edited December 1969

I know 1, 2, and 3 are on the list, don't know the relative priorities, I haven't heard 5 mentioned, but I'll see if I can find out.

Thank you! Your answer goes a long way in showing that DAZ is being responsive to customer needs. It is important to recognize that having great products is not enough if the shopping experience is miserable. There are too many alternatives nowadays.