How to poke a see through hole in a cube

kzamorkzamor Posts: 0

Hello,

forgive the noob question, but could someone help me create a see through hole in a Cube primitive?
(Within Daz studio if possible)

Thanks!

Post edited by kzamor on

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

As far as I am aware the only way would be the use of Opacity Maps but doing so you would need to match the UVmapping of the Cube. Best using something like Hexagon and use a Boolean operation. Meaning using a cylinder to carve a hole through a Cube. This then could in thoery be saved as an OBJ Wavefront object and used in Daz Studio.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

make 4 rectangular cubes and put them together so you get a hole in the middle :)

edited December 1969

ROFLOL not helpful but funny. :P

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hexagon is the only way I know to do this properly. You should be able to pull it off with a few hours of trying and studying the tutorials.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Hexagon is the only way I know to do this properly. You should be able to pull it off with a few hours of trying and studying the tutorials.

I agree, use Hex. You can either cut it out via a boolean cut or manually do it. Boolean is faster but I had to file a bug report about it the other day and dont currently recommend it.

Go here for free video tutorials - http://www.geekatplay.com/hexagontutorials/begining.php - THe second tut should show you what you want for the easy way (boolean)

And also check out this one for doing it without boolean - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thEOkonc_AM

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited August 2012

Another approach is to use the Polygon Group Editor in Studio. If you go this route, you will be beholden to the size of the quads that make up the cube's face, however. So if you're using a primitive generated within Studio, make sure to specify a large enough number of polygons for your needs. Then set the viewport to one of the wireframe modes so you can see the polygons making up the cube's face and switch to the PGE. Select the polygons for the hole you want to punch in the cube and then assign them to a new surface. Then you can hide that surface by setting its opacity to 0.

This only works if you just want a hole in the side of the cube. If you want to create an extrusion through the cube, then you'll have to use a proper 3D modelling tool

Post edited by cwichura on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    ROFLOL not helpful but funny. :P

Well it was a try at an idea at least...
    edited December 1969

Indeed it was. Still makes me chuckle...yes small things amuse my small mind. I wouldn't have it any other way. My theme tune is Monty Python's "It's good to be an Idiot". :)

• kzamorkzamor Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks everyone!

Hex we go then. It is a little more work than I anticipated, but it will do exactly what I need.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800
    edited August 2012

opacity ok if you do not need actual geometry

Untitled2.jpg
    1025 x 1069 - 72K
    Untitled.jpg
    500 x 500 - 6K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • There is a much easier way than by using Hexagon.  If you have Bryce, just

1.  make the main object that you want the hole in.

2.  make another object in the shape of the hole you want  

3. Put the hole shape into the main shape to whatever depth you want - even all the way throughh if you want a window or something like that.

4. Group the two objects

5. Make the hole shaped object "negative" and the main object "positive". You now have the hole in the main object.

6. Export it as an .obj file

7. Import it into Daz3D.

That's it.  It really is easy.

I hope this helps.

• BTW:  If you want to, say, put a hole through a person or some Daz figure that would be hard to make in Bryce, just export the figure to Bryce, make the hole shaped object and do the same using the DS figure as the thing you're putting  the hole in.  Then export it back to Daz3d and your figure has a hole in it. 

Also, let's say that you have a solid, like a wall, and what you want is an irregular-shaped dint in it.  Make the hole-shaped object a stone (there's a Bryce option for that) and push the rock into the wall.  Group the two, make the rock negative and the wall positive and you have your irregular dint.  Play with this.  It's fun.  You can also copy and paste in Bryce (which you can't do in Daz3D, so if you wanted multiple holes or multiple dints, just make one hole-shaped object, copy it and past as many holes or dints as you want.  Bryce is a fantastically easy program that will do a lot of the things Hexagon will do, but much easier.