Show Us Your Iray Renders. Part II

ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
edited May 2015 in The Commons

The first thread is Here for those that want to look, and read up on our ideas and knowledge gathered so far.

To continue Dumor3D's brilliant idea, Here we go, part 2 of Show Us Your Iray Renders

So let me kick this off, with the attempt I had done.

Iray, It's a grand new world,
To fill with your hopes, desires, sorrows, fears, and dreams.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited April 2015

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...amazing, about two and a half weeks and this thread is already at 100 pages.

Hopefully there will be an 'Iray Renders Thread II"

Yes, with so much Iray information now spread over so many threads it would be nice if DAZ made a new Forum Home for just Iray.
    How about it DAZ ? Please :-)

...seconded.

Woohoo!, I get to name the new thread!

....uhh....waitaminute, this isn't the "Stupid" or "Complaint" thread. Never mind....

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • ZarconDeeGrissomZarconDeeGrissom Posts: 5,412
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...amazing, about two and a half weeks and this thread is already at 100 pages.

Hopefully there will be an 'Iray Renders Thread II"

Yes, with so much Iray information now spread over so many threads it would be nice if DAZ made a new Forum Home for just Iray.
    How about it DAZ ? Please :-)

...seconded.

Woohoo!, I get to name the new thread!

....uhh....waitaminute, this isn't the "Stupid" or "Complaint" thread. Never mind....lol. I thought the 'Part' bit was important, lol. Tho yes, highlighted and copied for the most part.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited December 1969

Anyone else here having renders hang, 4 hours 2% done and no visible improvement in the last hour, cancelled the render and DS just locks up real annoying had it do it several times.
    It dose get slower for each iteration towards the end at over 90% convergence.

And yes, I've had Studio freeze when canceling renders, both with Iray and 3DL. I suspect that is not related to just Iray.

No its to do with Iray I've not had it happen with 3Delight, its locks up and the render is lost along with 4 hrs. It's doing it to me nearly all the time I've got maybe 2 renders out of Iray where it hasn't happened.

Seems a lot of us have complained about it. I suspect you didn't lose 4 hours of render, though. You should be seeing iteration updates on regular intervals. When it quits rendering, the updates stop, too. The only thing working at that point is the timer, misleading you to believe it's still working. A look at the log file, before rendering anything else, should show you how many seconds the image actually rendered. Just check the last entry. It should look something like this (if you're running 4.8.0.9):

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00123 iterations after 375.967s.

Apparently DS deletes the entries when it closes, mine did anyway, but it will still be there if you had to force the program to close when the render froze. You can access it via the Help menu: Click on Help, then Troubleshooting, then View Log File. (I actually set up a shortcut to it on my desktop.)

Hopefully whatever the issue is that's causing this will be fixed by the time 4.8 is released. (Fingers crossed.)

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    edited December 1969

ACross said:
    Anyone else here having renders hang, 4 hours 2% done and no visible improvement in the last hour, cancelled the render and DS just locks up real annoying had it do it several times.

And yes, I've had Studio freeze when canceling renders, both with Iray and 3DL. I suspect that is not related to just Iray.

No its to do with Iray I've not had it happen with 3Delight, its locks up and the render is lost along with 4 hrs. It's doing it to me nearly all the time I've got maybe 2 renders out of Iray where it hasn't happened.

Seems a lot of us have complained about it. I suspect you didn't lose 4 hours of render, though. You should be seeing iteration updates on regular intervals. When it quits rendering, the updates stop, too. The only thing working at that point is the timer, misleading you to believe it's still working. A look at the log file, before rendering anything else, should show you how many seconds the image actually rendered. Just check the last entry. It should look something like this (if you're running 4.8.0.9):

Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.0 IRAY rend info : Received update to 00123 iterations after 375.967s.

Apparently DS deletes the entries when it closes, mine did anyway, but it will still be there if you had to force the program to close when the render froze. You can access it via the Help menu: Click on Help, then Troubleshooting, then View Log File. (I actually set up a shortcut to it on my desktop.)

Hopefully whatever the issue is that's causing this will be fixed by the time 4.8 is released. (Fingers crossed.)

Thanks for the info, but until this is fixed Iray is close to useless to me I can't risk wasting the time letting a render run I've not got a Nvidia card so they take a while anyway and then to loose the render because I can't save it is a real PITA.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited April 2015

ACross said:

Thanks for the info, but until this is fixed Iray is close to useless to me I can't risk wasting the time letting a render run I've not got a Nvidia card so they take a while anyway and then to loose the render because I can't save it is a real PITA.

I understand. I don't have a video card, either. All my renders are CPU only. I wish we knew just what causes the render to hang. My last render posted was pretty complex, with a full chess set, table and i13 Visions In White (http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/63520/) and it rendered without hanging, (took 3 days because of all the glass calculations.) And I've had other, less complex scenes hang. I read something in another thread about some textures causing problems by the way they were saved. Personally, I think there may be a memory limitation issue for those of us having to use our system memory to do the renders. I hope I'm wrong, though.

There are a lot of changes coming for the next update, (I'm assuming there will be multiple updates before the release,) and it might be worth your while to check it out again then. And don't forget, this is not only a beta version of DS, but a beta version of Iray, as well.

And you can still use the Beta for 3DL renders. I've tested it, and the renders are about 25% faster than with DS 4.7.

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited April 2015

...although I found progressive rendering in 3DL to be slower than bucket rendering for some reason.

Oh, and stay away from motion blur unless you don;t want to use your computer for a while either. Just rendered a scene in 3DLwith Motion blur (5 frames) using an HDRI set and it took 16h 32m.

Going back to the railway scene, need to insert the characters and it will be finished.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...although I found progressive rendering in 3DL to be slower than bucket rendering for some reason.

Oh, and stay away from motion blur unless you don;t want to use your computer for a while either. Just rendered a scene in 3DLwith Motion blur (5 frames) using an HDRI set and it took 16h 32m.

Going back to the railway scene, need to insert the characters and it will be finished.

I found progressive to be slower as well. It may be that it's faster on renders that are big enough to be generally slow anyway? Maybe it's a 10 hours to 6 hours difference (most of mine aren't allowed to take more than 2).

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited April 2015

Here's my latest using Stonemason's bedroom. More to check iray for hangs with multiple characters, which it seems to have handled well. I'm wondering if switching Instancing Optimisation from Memory to Speed as suggested in another thread helps solve hang issues.

SM_SciFiBedroom_iray_test_JimBowers2015.jpg
    1024 x 704 - 646K
    Post edited by Jimbow on
    edited December 1969

Jimbow said:
    Here's my latest using Stonemason's bedroom. More to check iray for hangs with multiple characters, which it seems to have handled well. I'm wondering if switching Instancing Optimisation from Memory to Speed as suggested in another thread helps solve hang issues.

That is a great-looking scene! Can't wait to try that tip.

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited December 1969

Thanks SY. About to hit render on a biggy scene that's been consistently giving up the ghost. Fingers crossed.

• kqbjnp66vk@snkmail.com[email protected] Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

I've been playing around with all of the great hints and suggestions from the various forums posts here. I really like AJ's blood vessel textures, especially on a lighter skin, but it looks like there's a small line in the V4 ones on the left leg meets the torso. I should probably rotate the model 180 and re-render to see if it's both legs or not.

I was having a terrible time getting the hair to look like something other than a greasy, oily mess until I added color to the glossy color channel. A dark orange gave it a much better look. It's still not quite right, though... At least the suit came out the way I wanted it. I started with a Daz Supersuit material, converted to iRay and started playing from there.

Lighting is mostly from an environment map. The floor / additional lights come from the lighting rig that comes with 3DU's Kimberly character. It looks like the ibl and spec light are ignored (or don't make enough of a contribution to notice), while the Diffuse Spotlight adds that white highlight to the skin. I was going to roughen the spec a little, but it kind of gives a wet look that I liked, so I kept it.

This is an older skin, so there's no spec maps, just diffuse and bump. I've got AJ's vessels in translucency color at .3, glossy layered weight at .2, top coat weight at .6 with a roughness of .4 and turned to Fresnel layering mode with an IOR of 1.4. The bump map is in both the base bump and top coat bump and turned up to 1.

Coraline_G4_iRay_Suit_wet_01b.jpg
    2000 x 1667 - 216K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited April 2015

Caustics and more general Iray testing

HDRI light probe (from Bryce pro pack) with Environment intensity set to .075

1 photometric point light just above the ground plane in the middle of the gems (default settings

Tone mapping: Shutter speed = 125, F/stop 8, Film ISO = 400.

All gems have the Iray Diamond shader, with base color and gloss color adjusted to mimic what gem they are supposed to look like.

** edit: smoothing is turned off in the material settings, and caustic filter is ON, under optimization in render settings.

gems.jpg
    500 x 500 - 113K
    Post edited by Rareth on
  • evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

For the Boy Wonder, who's not feeling well. All... night... long.

Minor post in Photoshop, everything else is Iray and Tone Mapping.

cuddleSig.png
    1600 x 989 - 2M
  • MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

Slight post work due to a couple of white fireflies appearing just towards the end of the render period. Also noticed that a deep shadow from the shirt pattern has appeared on the inside of his left arm, looking like a tattoo. Guess it must be a lighting issue that needs adjusting.

:-)

Hyo.png
    800 x 800 - 925K
    edited April 2015

Jimbow said:

...almost could be a still from an SF film.

If we are getting these kinds of incredible results just from a beta version, be interesting to see what the full release will be capable of.

I think our little 3D programme has grown up.

• MusicplayerMusicplayer Posts: 515
    edited December 1969

Nice render and the bedside lamps illumination looks very realistic.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Love this.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

thanks RAMWolff and Musicplayer.

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416
    edited December 1969

I'd really like the see this with a window shaped beam of blue moon type light streaming over them. The mood to the scene is already very nice, I think that would kick it over the edge into epic.

edited December 1969

Fisty said:

I'd really like the see this with a window shaped beam of blue moon type light streaming over them. The mood to the scene is already very nice, I think that would kick it over the edge into epic.

Oh, good suggestion! I liked the scene too (it's very sweet).

• HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

If we are getting these kinds of incredible results just from a beta version, be interesting to see what the full release will be capable of.

Just wait til people start digging into the compositing stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M-nDVUDD1c

...too bad we never had 3Delight's AOVs enabled

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 1969

I know I posted this earlier in a "half baked" version because it would never finish, locked up hard every time. I discovered in another thread that the iRay optimization parameter can be set to "speed" rather than "memory" and these renders can sometimes finish. So I did, thought I'd pass on the tip. Now, the scene:

Pulp_Fiction_1.jpg
    1197 x 925 - 630K
    edited December 1969

Hole said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

...if this can be done completely within Iray without the need of say, Photoshop, yes it would be huge.

edited December 1969

I know I posted this earlier in a "half baked" version because it would never finish, locked up hard every time. I discovered in another thread that the iRay optimization parameter can be set to "speed" rather than "memory" and these renders can sometimes finish. So I did, thought I'd pass on the tip. Now, the scene:

...that looks really good.

Love to see it converted to greyscale.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,505
    edited December 1969

Hole said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

That looks really complex to set up but maaaaan would I have fun going nuts with all that in Photoshop. ;)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Thanks! And your wish is my command!

Pulp_Fiction_1x.jpg
    1197 x 925 - 387K
    edited December 1969

Hole said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

That looks really complex to set up but maaaaan would I have fun going nuts with all that in Photoshop. ;)

Under the advanced options there is a section called Canvasses. It looks like you can add nodes to a list and then select canvasses like "Diffuse", "Glossy" etc but then it seems to make no difference in the output. I wonder if eventually this compositing stuff is what this will be for?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

Thanks! And your wish is my command!

...sweet.

Have you tried using the noise filter?

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,260
    edited December 1969

Prefer the grey scale version personally but both are really nice work

• HoleHole Posts: 119
    edited April 2015

Under the advanced options there is a section called Canvasses. It looks like you can add nodes to a list and then select canvasses like "Diffuse", "Glossy" etc but then it seems to make no difference in the output. I wonder if eventually this compositing stuff is what this will be for?

Yeah that's them, according to the changelog it's been getting reworked in the private builds so you might want to wait before spending too much time with them.
    You basically tag stuff at the top of the surface settings or use the material ID color and currently you need to render to file to get anything. The expressions look complex at first but they're actually very simple to set up.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
This discussion has been closed.