Bye Bye Daz3d

Comments

• RomancefantasyRomancefantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    What on earth did you just said my good Admin? :O !????!

I wish I was at liberty to say more, but you will have to read into my post above. Sorry many more details will be coming...

Could it be???

It has to be.

What else could it be?

The Millennium Cow at last!!!

YAY!

Aw, when are we going to get that like button?

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited August 2012

There will never be full compatibility. At least not the easy way. You will get it to work, but by compatibility do not expect a one click hooray it works like in DazStudio solution. Remember, Daz4 was designed around Genesis, Poser wasn't. You are going to need bundles of scripts and assist apps to get the same funcionality. In order for full compatibility you are going to need poser versions of Studio's features, might as well just use Studio then. Genesis is NOT just a figure. It is a system, and Studio is part of that system in order to get its features working. So unless Poser adapts those features from Daz, it will never have full compatibility. With no mesh smoothing and CC-sub-D you are in for trouble. Genesis relies on those features to get clothing to fit and mould on the figure. Poser will also need a collisions detection system (the way it works with Genesis in Daz4). So if these features ain't in SR3 then there is your answer. Not anytime soon I say.

Post edited by Zev0 on
  • jerhamjerham Posts: 153
    edited December 1969

DAZ said:
    Since Daz has moved all hysterically to Genesis I'm afraid the site have nothing to offer for me. So I will not renew my membership like many others. I have been a member for many years and really love V3-V4 and poser stuff, the platinum club stuff has decreased dramatically and not releasing props like they used to do.And I'm not a DS person. This is so sad, cause I enjoy this store. Good luck!
    Victor

I think if you will stick with us over the next couple of months, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the direction we are going with Genesis. I can't give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven. Stay tuned to the DAZ 3D Channel.

With all respect, but i'll wait and see wat will happen and not get my hopes to high. DAZ rumors have been a disappointment before...

I do like genesis and would love to see (better) poser support. Because it is my preferred program, but what also counts for me is the content i have. I know there is autofit, but that just gives me more frustrations when using DAZ studio

At this time I'm not abandoning DAZ completely, but i do notice my spending at DAZ has dropped big time. Not only due to the website troubles, but 4th generation figures are still my main figures (use Genesis only for some specific renders). It feels sometimes to me, I'm here at the wrong place when using non genesis figures.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    There will never be full compatibility. At least not the easy way. You will get it to work, but by compatibility do not expect a one click hooray it works like in DazStudio solution. Remember, Daz4 was designed around Genesis, Poser wasn't. You are going to need bundles of scripts and assist apps to get the same funcionality. In order for full compatibility you are going to need poser versions of Studio's features, might as well just use Studio then. Genesis is NOT just a figure. It is a system, and Studio is part of that system in order to get its features working. So unless Poser adapts those features from Daz, it will never have full compatibility. With no mesh smoothing and CC-sub-D you are in for trouble. Genesis relies on those features to get clothing to fit and mould on the figure. Poser will also need a collisions detection system (the way it works with Genesis in Daz4). So if these features ain't in SR3 then there is your answer. Not anytime soon I say.

Depends on how good Posers plug-in system is, but it could be possible to create a plug-in that hooks into the key systems, this will allow the DS4 engine to be accessed from within Poser, which should give full access to all of the functions that make Genesis work. It would mean having to have DS4 installed, and chances are that anything saved would have to be in DUF format as it probably wouldn't work in the PZ3/CR2 format.
  • PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Zev0 said:

Depends on how good Posers plug-in system is, but it could be possible to create a plug-in that hooks into the key systems, this will allow the DS4 engine to be accessed from within Poser, which should give full access to all of the functions that make Genesis work. It would mean having to have DS4 installed, and chances are that anything saved would have to be in DUF format as it probably wouldn't work in the PZ3/CR2 format.

Personally, I think this is most likely...with the latest release pack for Poser and given Dan Farr's comments about plug-ins in the old forums.

• Fixme12Fixme12 Posts: 589
    edited December 1969

Mercedesk said:
    GENESIS will soon be available to work in POSER... place your bets, place your bets!

that sounds more a problem that's up to smithmicro to fix.

i think we will see more features like animationtools, dynamic hair, dynamic cloth designer, and a lot of features that you can not do in poser.

it will be so big, oh boy oh boy

• DWGDWG Posts: 770
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    MrPoser said:
    Interesting hint/rumor something is in the works....would be great if it was either
    a. Some breakthru on direct use of Genesis in Poser
    b. New non Genesis poser base figures for V5 and M5

I'd be all for Option B .. non Genesis poser base figures for V5 and M5.. That I would Buy :)

You would actually be much better off with option a). Option b) would be simpler to implement, take a subdivided mesh and rig it with the Poser weight-mapping system, but that only gets you a tiny fraction of the advances that come with Genesis (and potentially creates compatibility issues between the two versions). It's the genes and the clothing technology that really push Genesis to be something special, a step way beyond even Poser's weight-mapped figures, and an exported figure just doesn't have those.

And equally DAZ could talk if they were just re-rigging V5 and M5. I agree with Miss B, not being able to talk says joint project and NDA with SM and hints strongly towards Poser getting native Genesis capabilities

Mind you, that means the last year has to count as the longest pre-release tease ever....

• edited December 1969

I too dropped out of the DAZ Community because of the incompatibility issues so If Genesis does become available for Poser without all the work on the end user's part, I might actually come back. I haven't been around much since Genesis started it's domination in the store either. I still have models in the works, but they are all Poser dynamic now.

• FaveralFaveral Posts: 415
    edited December 1969

I don't know why DAZ is being so secretive about it...
    In their latest service release of Poser, Smith Micro has implemented a bunch of fixes that will soon allow Genesis to work in Poser through a plug in.
    That was the whole idea behind Genesis in the first place, to make it "platform agnostic" and to be able to work through plug ins, in all available softwares.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    Ivy said:
    MrPoser said:
    Interesting hint/rumor something is in the works....would be great if it was either
    a. Some breakthru on direct use of Genesis in Poser
    b. New non Genesis poser base figures for V5 and M5

I'd be all for Option B .. non Genesis poser base figures for V5 and M5.. That I would Buy :)

You would actually be much better off with option a). Option b) would be simpler to implement, take a subdivided mesh and rig it with the Poser weight-mapping system, but that only gets you a tiny fraction of the advances that come with Genesis (and potentially creates compatibility issues between the two versions). It's the genes and the clothing technology that really push Genesis to be something special, a step way beyond even Poser's weight-mapped figures, and an exported figure just doesn't have those.

And equally DAZ could talk if they were just re-rigging V5 and M5. I agree with Miss B, not being able to talk says joint project and NDA with SM and hints strongly towards Poser getting native Genesis capabilities

Mind you, that means the last year has to count as the longest pre-release tease ever....

I'm Sorry I have no faith in Genesis at the moment . I've tried and tried to use genesis in animation .. and the results were always the same. genesis has to many limits on what you can and can't do with it and you have to have to many other tools and scripts and what not as it is now to work with Gen4 products.
    I have thousands of dollars and hard drives full of gen4 and gen3 content for poser and Daz3 VFX tool that can't be used by genesis or Daz4.( I' haven't tested them in 4.5 yet.) But these products still will work in any of the 3 versions of poser i have.
    Unless daz makes the program work flawlessly with the older generation products they have put out.I won't be buying any new daz products until I can use them also in poser & Daz3.

You want to know the main reason I stopped playing the install/Uninstalling daz game.?
    Is he fact I'm tired of Installing and Uninstalling Daz programs in my windows 7 machine . because you can't clean the registry or the winsxs file. so every time you install daz its adds files you can't remove out of the winsxs. I am limited on SSD drive space so. Until daz get the program right .I'm not bothering with it.. If you have a win7 machine then you know what I'm talking about with the registry and winsxs file
    So mean time I will keep a wait and see attitude, until then i will only be buying what will work in both poser and daz3a. I ve pretty much gave up on Genesis and all its trapping. the extra Morpheus genesis has, really has no appeal to me. Some of the new clothing and stuff does. But I can make art just as well without genesis. so really its no lost to my ability to make the art and animations i want... After all its really the model artist that suffer in the repercussion of low sales, and lack of interest in genesis. products if that maybe the case.

it seems like ever time Daz releases a new program its has some compatibility issue with their older programs and products.. Poser does not seem to have the issue.

But that is just my own opinon.

edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    genesis has to many limits on what you can and can't do with it and you have to have to many other tools and scripts and what not as it is now to work with Gen4 products.
    I have thousands of dollars and hard drives full of gen4 and gen3 content for poser and Daz3 VFX tool that can't be used by genesis or Daz4.

I don't know what limits you're running into, I can't say I've found any, by contrast I'd say Genesis has far fewer limits than Gen 4. I have similar amounts of Gen 3 and Gen 4 content to you, and I'm able to use pretty much all of it. The only thing I'm personally missing in DS4 compared to DS3 is LDP2.

Gen 4 clothing works out of the box with Genesis through autofit (and Autofit at 4.5 is even better)*
    Gen 4 character skins can be used on Genesis without an issue
    Gen 4 morphs are usable via GenX
    Gen 3 character skins can be converted via TC2
    Gen 3 morphs are usable via GenX with the add-on packs, and the same add-ons add Gen 3 compatibility to Autofit

*And once they're autofitted it's trivially simple to save them off as .DUF character files, which any implementation of Genesis in Poser is going to have to handle whether or not it has autofit. And if the mesh is such that autofit isn't appropriate there is the Clothing Creation Tool, or the Transfer Utility or the rigging tools, any of which can convert a mesh or rig it for Genesis.

That's a level of compatibility with your Gen 3 and Gen 4 content that an exported V5 and M5 simply wouldn't offer. Look at compatibility between any other pair of figures and Genesis compatibility to Gen 3/4 has them beat hands down.

• Philippi_ChildPhilippi_Child Posts: 648
    edited December 1969

DWG said:
    Ivy said:
    genesis has to many limits on what you can and can't do with it and you have to have to many other tools and scripts and what not as it is now to work with Gen4 products.
    I have thousands of dollars and hard drives full of gen4 and gen3 content for poser and Daz3 VFX tool that can't be used by genesis or Daz4.

I don't know what limits you're running into, I can't say I've found any, by contrast I'd say Genesis has far fewer limits than Gen 4. I have similar amounts of Gen 3 and Gen 4 content to you, and I'm able to use pretty much all of it. The only thing I'm personally missing in DS4 compared to DS3 is LDP2.

Gen 4 clothing works out of the box with Genesis through autofit (and Autofit at 4.5 is even better)*
    Gen 3 morphs are usable via GenX with the add-on packs, and the same add-ons add Gen 3 compatibility to Autofit

*And once they're autofitted it's trivially simple to save them off as .DUF character files, which any implementation of Genesis in Poser is going to have to handle whether or not it has autofit. And if the mesh is such that autofit isn't appropriate there is the Clothing Creation Tool, or the Transfer Utility or the rigging tools, any of which can convert a mesh or rig it for Genesis.

That's a level of compatibility with your Gen 3 and Gen 4 content that an exported V5 and M5 simply wouldn't offer. Look at compatibility between any other pair of figures and Genesis compatibility to Gen 3/4 has them beat hands down.

Well good now please tell me how to get "Genesis" you have no difficulty with into C4d, 3DS and Vue Xsteam since DS files can't be read by these upper end programs? And don't waste your time on collada or .obj imports been tried and it doesn't work. This is my bone of contention about "Genesis" and D/S. Until this is addressed it makes Genesis useless unless all I want to use is D/S and I am sorry that will not happen because I do not like the results of a D/S render.

edited August 2012

DWG said:
    Ivy said:

Well good now please tell me how to get "Genesis" you have no difficulty with into C4d, 3DS and Vue Xsteam since DS files can't be read by these upper end programs? And don't waste your time on collada or .obj imports been tried and it doesn't work. This is my bone of contention about "Genesis" and D/S. Until this is addressed it makes Genesis useless unless all I want to use is D/S and I am sorry that will not happen because I do not like the results of a D/S render.

All I can say to convince you is please make a 2 minute animation using genesis using autofit tool with gen4 products. NOT A SLIDE SHOW USING STILL GRAPHICS !
    I want to see you use Nerds3d Flame and smoke tool in it. or wave and splash tool.
    a real animation that is similar to something like this one one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMkUaISPLcg
    which I did in Daz3a took me less than a week to make.
    Or this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZKi-jbYlg
    I did in poser2012 which took me 4 days to make.

I'll ask you again please create a similar animation. I want to see your results.
    you seem to be under the impression that you think I don't know what I am talking about.

If you can then you have proved your point; But i think you will find once you start you will see exactly what limits I am talking about.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

I'm wrong because I didn't address something we weren't talking about? If Genesis doesn't meet your needs in a programme that hasn't gotten around to writing a handler for it yet, then that says precisely nothing about the fact that it does work in DS4 and with a level of integration with previous generation content that has been offered by no other figure or programme.

edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    All I can say to convince you is please make a 2 minute animation using genesis using autofit tool with gen4 products. NOT A SLIDE SHOW USING STILL GRAPHICS !
    I want to see you use Nerds3d Flame and smoke tool in it. or wave and splash tool.
    a real animation that is similar to something like this one one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMkUaISPLcg
    which I did in Daz3a took me less than a week to make.
    Or this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fZKi-jbYlg
    I did in poser2012 which took me 4 days to make.

I'll ask you again please create a similar animation. I want to see your results.

Not going to happen. I can show you the V3 and V4 shoes I fitted to Genesis and saved off as .duf files this morning (took about a minute, including checking the process hadn't changed from 4.0.3.47), or I could show you the four renders I did yesterday using Gen 4 content in DS4, or renders from a few days ago of Genesis wearing V4 morphs, a V4 texture and V4 clothing, but I haven't a clue how to use the animation facilities and no interest in changing that.

You said:

genesis has to many limits on what you can and can’t do with it and you have to have to many other tools and scripts and what not as it is now to work with Gen4 products.
    I have thousands of dollars and hard drives full of gen4 and gen3 content for poser and Daz3 VFX tool that can’t be used by genesis or Daz4.

And I simply pointed out that most users are doing what you claimed needed 'many other tools and scripts' with a built in facility and one add-on tool.

you seem to be under the impression that you think I don't know what I am talking about.

When I said "I don’t know what limits you’re running into," that was an invitation to explain what you felt was a problem. It still is. I probably won't be able to point you at a solution if it's animation related, but maybe someone else will.

• Philippi_ChildPhilippi_Child Posts: 648
    edited December 1969

What I am saying has nothing to do with animation. I would use Genesis in a heartbeat because I love the concept but because the programs I use and our own programs we use in house using Genesis is not possible. The main sticking point is that Daz Studio native files can't be read in apps outside of Daz Studio. This is something Daz needs to work on if it ever wants to move forward outside of just a hobby or amateur level. This is what I was referring too not some animation. Daz has something but they can't continue to squander it if they want to grow and push Genesis to a higher level.

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    edited December 1969

Isikol said:
    you should make it sticky! ;)
    Last time someone said that he did... Took months to get the stain out of the carpet.
    edited August 2012

What I am saying has nothing to do with animation. I would use Genesis in a heartbeat because I love the concept but because the programs I use and our own programs we use in house using Genesis is not possible. The main sticking point is that Daz Studio native files can't be read in apps outside of Daz Studio. This is something Daz needs to work on if it ever wants to move forward outside of just a hobby or amateur level. This is what I was referring too not some animation. Daz has something but they can't continue to squander it if they want to grow and push Genesis to a higher level.

I apologize I didn't mean for my comment to be directed to you. I actually was talking with DWG

You know that Poser has Plugins called poserfusion which will allow for Poser models to be imported or bridge into Maya , lightwave, cinema 4D & 3dMax. If you own Poser the plugins are free,all you need is your serial #

http://poser.smithmicro.com/poserfusion.html

Post edited by Ivy on
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Genesis works fine in carrara 8.5.

edited December 1969

ManStan said:

I don't use carrara, Though I like some of the stuff I have seen done with it.
    But I have yet to see genesis animated properly in carrara, do you have any examples?

I use Daz & poser and come Sept when class starts I'll start learning Maya

• tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:

Hey Stan

You got Genesis working fine?
    I have been hearing about people with problems.
    Glad to see some people have it worked out.

Haven't seen any animations from you in awhile.
    Have you been animating Genesis too?

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Ivy said:
    ManStan said:

But I have yet to see genesis animated properly in carrara, do you have any examples?

I use Daz & poser and come Sept when class starts I'll start learning Maya Bigh posted a genesis animation in the genesis render thread that he did in Carrara...

I don't do animations but I really admire t he skills of people who do.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Can't say I have worked much with genesis, I'm not that impressed. We could have had a genesis like character in carrara the day DAZ bought it. Weight mapped figures are absolutely nothing new to carrara.
    But there are some animations of genesis in studio's dynamic clothes, DUFed to carrara for staging. Carrara animates DAZ's non beta figures quite well.

"I use Daz & poser and come Sept when class starts I’ll start learning Maya"

Oh are you in for a surprise. Little if any of what you learn using studio or poser is going to apply in maya. Little of what you have bought for studio or poser will work in Maya; not with out a lot of work on your part. Genesis certainly wont work in it. Maya isn't just a horse of a different color, it is a completely different species.

None the less, carrara has a lot more animation tools then studio or poser, It's a lot closer to Maya then studio or poser in that respect.

edited August 2012

Pendraia said:
    Ivy said:
    ManStan said:

I use Daz & poser and come Sept when class starts I'll start learning Maya

Bigh posted a genesis animation in the genesis render thread that he did in Carrara...

I don't do animations but I really admire t he skills of people who do.

I seen all BigH's " Test" animation, he has nothing in story format & they are less than 30 seconds and doesn't use any special effects in them. Plus all of them give a perfect example of what i am talking about with the poke through and Figure distortions when you animating Genesis in Daz studio.
    Sorry Big H this is not a attack on you of you animation personally.

Believe me when genesis first came out I was very excited. I though very cool something new we can use in transformations. of characters.
    then i started working with Genesis and working and working. it turned out to be way more work animating and fixing issues caused by genesis during the animation story process using studio than it was worth.
    that has always been my complaint. That and the fact you can no longer share gen5 content with poser. unless you jump through a bunch of hoops too make things fit.

when you make a animation and spend hours just try to make the scenes and animate everything in the scene to make it look right and then you start animations on the genesis character you end up spending more time trying to get to to work than you did the rest of the scene animation I was very disappointed with genesis in animation.

But I am Patient I am sure someday. Daz will get their program back to former glory. But until then
    I won;t be buying gen5 products there is nothing you can do with gen5 in animation that I can't do with gen4

I started to animate this 8 minute film I did in genesis and it turned out impossible to do so, at the 1.33 minute Mark when i could not fix the poke throughs. i finished it in Poser and daz3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyjJhIzmCwM
    This the kind of examples of animation I am talking about using genesis I would like to see.

Genesis for still graphic work is great, for animation not so much.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited December 1969

I would use Genesis in a heartbeat because I love the concept but because the programs I use and our own programs we use in house using Genesis is not possible. The main sticking point is that Daz Studio native files can't be read in apps outside of Daz Studio. This is something Daz needs to work on

That's why DAZ has switched to DSON format with DS4.5.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201
    edited December 1969

I can't give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven.

Wow. Well, at least the greatest website change catastrophe that I ever witnessed has humbled DAZ ^^

Whatever you have cooking for Poser users - by the sound of that statement it must be a lot better than the stuff I'm using in DAZ Studio :)

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

Since Daz has moved all hysterically to Genesis I'm afraid the site have nothing to offer for me. So I will not renew my membership like many others. I have been a member for many years and really love V3-V4 and poser stuff, the platinum club stuff has decreased dramatically and not releasing props like they used to do.And I'm not a DS person. This is so sad, cause I enjoy this store. Good luck!
    Victor

I think if you will stick with us over the next couple of months, you will be very pleasantly surprised with the direction we are going with Genesis. I can't give any details, but you Poser users will be in heaven. Stay tuned to the DAZ 3D Channel.

Ummm....

...Already done this...

...Several times.

• DAZ_bfurnerDAZ_bfurner Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

We are seeing a lot of users taking DAZ content, including Genesis to Maya using the FBX exporter. I was working with a TV studio who uses DAZ Content, DAZ Studio and Maya. They are successfully taking figures of all kind to Maya using the FBX Exporter from DAZ Studio.

There are a lot of settings in the FBX Exporter tool, so experimenting with the settings will offer different results. So be creative in trying different settings. But it is working and many are using it successfully.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

All y'all are wrong. Due to the looming disaster known as Windows 8, DAZ will finally make a 64bit Linux version.

edited August 2012

We are seeing a lot of users taking DAZ content, including Genesis to Maya using the FBX exporter. I was working with a TV studio who uses DAZ Content, DAZ Studio and Maya. They are successfully taking figures of all kind to Maya using the FBX Exporter from DAZ Studio.

There are a lot of settings in the FBX Exporter tool, so experimenting with the settings will offer different results. So be creative in trying different settings. But it is working and many are using it successfully.

Really?? I would love to see some Animation examples of Genesis used in Maya. I know they are doing it with poser. Wbcy Channel 5 has done it with the General Insurance advertizements using poser with Maya. Y'all properly have seen those ads they have been doing it a while they are using poserfusion plugins instead of FBX
    I start class using Maya and Mudbox @ Tennessee State come Sept 5. I'm very excited about it.
    I should be getting my student voucher soon for the Autodesk suite within the next day or 2

Do you have any examples? I would love to see what can be done with maya & daz

Post edited by Ivy on