Help with Dynamic pillows

HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
edited August 2012 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am using Studio 4.0 (not 4.5) and I am following this tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y6CZ577tK4

In it the process seems very straightforward, however, when the rectangle deflates and reinflates it appears to collide with, or be constrained by the floor, meaning it goes flat and the reinflates upwards. When I keep trying this mine just goes through the floor and when I try and reinflate it just keeps on going down. I have looked under 'Collide with' but there is no mention of the ground to choose.

I realise the video was done in Studio 3, is that the issue, or am I doing something fundamentaly wrong?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Post edited by Haruchai on

Comments

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Haruchai said:
    I have looked under 'Collide with' but there is no mention of the ground to choose.

That's because there isn't one. The default grid isn't a ground plane, as in Poser, it's just a visible grid to let you see where the y=0 plane is. You'll need to create a plane primitive, unless you want to use the pillow in a scene with things like furniture props. Lay the plane flat on the grid, and there's your ground.

One thing to watch for — don't use a low value for number of subdivisions in the plane. Colliding dynamics work best when the two colliding surfaces have a roughly similar mesh density. It doesn't have to be exact, but be aware that a high density mesh and a low density mesh will not collide properly, they will probably poke through one another.

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited December 1969

Thanks, didn't realise it wasn't a ground plane. Will create one and go from there.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

Haruchai, your going to find that with any dynamics they need, as SpottedKitty mentioned, a fair few divisions to collide against or they fall through. Not everything is modeled with that in mind. Very often floors in rooms will be one big poly and stairs often have a low poly count. If things look like they are sinking through the easiest thing to do is stick a hidden/invisible primitive between the cloth and the object that they are falling through. Rather than wait till after you have done a drape and found out the hard way, you can always use the UV view to look at surfaces you think may be suspect.

edited August 2012

Excellent advice, thank you.

Is there a way to scale up the pillows? I am thinking of a V5 sat on the rectangle pillow on the floor but whenever I scale it it jumps back to original size.

Apologies for the basic questions but as you may be gathering this is my first attempt at DAZ dynamics. I now Poser dynamics really well but the knowledge does not seem transferrable. Time to learn another skill from scratch :)

Maybe I should have put this in the newbie thread ;)

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,858
    edited December 1969

You can't scale dynamic objects, but you can scale the figures down, run the simulation, and then freeze it (or export as OBJ) and scale that up if need be.

edited December 1969

Thanks, will give that a try.