EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hello,

I just made a Render with Starry Sky and V4. This is the the result:

Anyone an idea what happend?

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Might help to know your render settings. Are caustics enabled? Etc.

Dartanbeck created Starry Skies. He posted in this thread, so maybe you can send him a message.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5919/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,667
    edited December 1969

the stars are objects, looks like they are casting shadows from a light behind them, did you use image based lighting with shadows enabled?

edited December 1969

The halos around the shadows suggests to me caustics. IBL would refer to HDRIs, realistic sky, simple image maps or colors in the background in Scene Efeects, and need the skylight enabled in the render room. As far as I know, there's no way to turn off shadows for an IBL lighting solution. Of course, I don't have Carrara 8.x so maybe something has changed.

edited December 1969

and I NEVER use IBL so would not know!! ;-P

• EddyMI3DEddyMI3D Posts: 365
    edited August 2012

First thanks for all your replies.

So, there are no IBLs in this scene. I switched off caustics with no effect. I switched off indirect light and the spots are gone.
    Seems the reason is that there are so many light sources.

So this night the machine can render.
    BTW, I use C8.5pro, recent version.

Post edited by EddyMI3D on
    edited December 1969

Ahhh! Indirect Light. Should have known. Maybe Dartenback might know, but do the various spheres and replicators used to create the product have cast shadows and receive shadows turned on or off? If they are on and you turn cast shadows off, then maybe Indirect Light might work.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I assume that "Starry Sky" is a prepackaged night sky you can buy...

In any case, keep in mind that instead of buying prepackaged stuff, you can get very nice results by making your own stars. Just make some spheres of different sizes and populate the sky with them. Unless you want a jillion stars in your sky (which you can do with other methods), you can make a very nice night sky manually. People tend to assume "oh, it's a night sky which means a million stars", but really you can get a convincing sky with only 10 or 20 stars.

Of course you can also make them in post in Photoshop for still images, but that's probably obvious.

"Starry, starry night.
    Paint your palette blue and grey,
    Look out on a summer's day,
    With eyes that know the darkness in my soul."

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

He does include a 30 page pdf file manual. That package looks pretty good..

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/starry-sky-for-carrara

edited December 1969

I assume that "Starry Sky" is a prepackaged night sky you can buy...

In any case, keep in mind that instead of buying prepackaged stuff, you can get very nice results by making your own stars. Just make some spheres of different sizes and populate the sky with them. Unless you want a jillion stars in your sky (which you can do with other methods), you can make a very nice night sky manually. People tend to assume "oh, it's a night sky which means a million stars", but really you can get a convincing sky with only 10 or 20 stars.

Of course you can also make them in post in Photoshop for still images, but that's probably obvious.

"Starry, starry night.
    Paint your palette blue and grey,
    Look out on a summer's day,
    With eyes that know the darkness in my soul."

I don't disagree about making your own sky or using other methods, that's what I do, although where I live 10 or 20 stars is considered cloudy and in no way would look convincing. Maybe if I lived in in an urban environment with a lot of light pollution I'd see the night skies you must see. Me, I can see the disc of the crescent moon and the band of the Milky Way.

edited December 1969

And if the purpose of the image is to reproduce faithfully Evil's Wisconsin (?) sky when the sky is clear (does it get clear in Wisconsin?), then yeah. But if it is to serve as a simple night background, and the focus of the image is on other stuff, then seeing the Milky Way may not be a concern.

In any case, I mentioned the manual positioning of sphere objects for stars because nobody ever mentions that as an option. There's always discussion of spending money on prepackaged, drag 'n drop stuff. People are always looking for the "easy" way out, and then proceed to take the hard and expensive, and often lower quality way out.

But I want to make it clear that in no way am I implying people are looking for a "make art" button. Just suggesting there are alternatives for consideration.

• FURBFURB Posts: 29
    edited December 1969

Am I the only one that thinks that kinda looks cool?

edited December 1969

And if the purpose of the image is to reproduce faithfully Evil's Wisconsin (?) sky when the sky is clear (does it get clear in Wisconsin?), then yeah. But if it is to serve as a simple night background, and the focus of the image is on other stuff, then seeing the Milky Way may not be a concern.

In any case, I mentioned the manual positioning of sphere objects for stars because nobody ever mentions that as an option. There's always discussion of spending money on prepackaged, drag 'n drop stuff. People are always looking for the "easy" way out, and then proceed to take the hard and expensive, and often lower quality way out.

But I want to make it clear that in no way am I implying people are looking for a "make art" button. Just suggesting there are alternatives for consideration.

Yes we have clear nights. :lol: last night was very clear. Some nights the star light is so bright it can cast faint shadows. I get the impression that you're on one of the coasts, just from a couple telling comments in past posts from the old forum. Don't know which one, but I would suspect east coast. This explains the lack of geographic knowledge. Not yours in particular. Just a general coast-centric national view. With this in mind, let me help you out: Wisconsin is in the midwest- Not! I repeat- Not in the United Kingdom! Nor is it adjacent to Seattle. It is not cloudy all the time. It is not foggy all the time. We also have some paved roads and these new-fangled things called shopping malls. There are pictures on the internet, you could look at one for reference. I'd post a satellite photo from Google Earth, of Wisconsin but it would be just a gray blur. For some reason it was cloudy the day the satellite passed over. :smirk:

@FURB: I think it looks cool. I've thought about getting it a couple times now.

edited December 1969

Dude, no way that Wisconsin is not in the midwest. I've been to Chicago many times (as well as probably 70% of all the other states in the US, but never Wisconsin; no, wait, I just counted and it's only about 50%; no wait, it's more, because of Hawaii and DC), and it's west of Chicago, right? Or is it? I think there's like Minnesota over there too, I always get them confused. But dude, that's midwest no matter how you slice it, isn't it? BTW, is that a bad thing in Wisconsin to be considered "midwest"? And is it cool to be a "cheesehead"? Personally, that's always looked a bit dorky to me when you see the guys at the games wearing cheese on their heads, but that's just me.

But yeah, I live in LA and NYC, so I fly over you a lot. But you're right about the lack of stars near the big cities. It wasn't til I started travelling a lot, many years ago, that I realized that you could actually see the Milky Way. I was freakin' amazed. And everybody just looked at me, all "you didn't know you can see the Milky Way?".

Right now I'm out of the country, in a house on a very remote beach, far away from any city lights, where we lie in an inflatable raft at night and just float in the ocean and look up at the stars and the Milky Way and stuff. And there's no way you could duplicate that by adding spheres. Might take you a year to make a scene like that, and the computer would crash.

edited December 1969

when I moved to my northern suburb of Adelaide 5 years ago there was expanses of paddocks a block away and not much light pollution and I had lovely views of the stars, not like out in the sticks where I have difficulty even finding the southern cross for all the masses of stars but pretty good, now with huge housing developments all around, I only see a few stars and it is no longer deadly quiet at night save the crickets (in fact far from it).

edited December 1969

when I moved to my northern suburb of Adelaide 5 years ago there was expanses of paddocks a block away and not much light pollution and I had lovely views of the stars, not like out in the sticks where I have difficulty even finding the southern cross for all the masses of stars but pretty good, now with huge housing developments all around, I only see a few stars and it is no longer deadly quiet at night save the crickets (in fact far from it).

It should be easy to find the Southern Cross, just find the North Star and follow it down! ;-P

• 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

Starry Sky is a neat tool.....great for animation.

A steal at $12.95! ;)