Automatic Content Organizer needed, like the one for Poser by Smiedu

BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
edited December 1969 in Product Suggestions

Hi.
The D4 contend becomes very unweildly after a while.
It would be a great help if someone with the knowledge made a content organized.
I am thinking it could be modeled on the functions of the one made by Smideu at RDNA.... I think I have his name wrong,
but you get the idea.
Thanks.
R

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,850
    edited December 1969

You can use Categories to organise your content any way you like.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

Hello again, Richard.
    Yes, I do that. Still when I load a lot of stuff it can get lost in the crowd, and then harder to find for using Categories.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

There is also a search funtion at the top of the Content Library pane which is excellent IMO.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Hi.
    The D4 contend becomes very unweildly after a while.
    It would be a great help if someone with the knowledge made a content organized.
    I am thinking it could be modeled on the functions of the one made by Smideu at RDNA.... I think I have his name wrong,
    but you get the idea.
    Thanks.
    R

I'd love this! I'd really love the ability to categorize during the install process. Making something 'hair' for instance, would save me having to hunt out the pose file or wherever it is installed to categorize later. I've now taken to saving the readme's so I can locate the file in my runtime, because I can spend quite a long time trying to locate content which is no fun.

I don't find the search feature terribly helpful.

S

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Typing in 'Hair' at the top of the Content Library tab shows all hair in your listed runtimes. It is even more useful now that many of them are marked 'Material' or 'Pose' which is what you are asking for.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

You can also expand the search box to see checkboxes that let you restrict the type of content you want to search.

Metadata was also supposed to help, by linking content with matching assets and by pre-categorizing content, but one big problem there is that standards were never established about how to categorize the content. Even though I'd probably want to tweak any system that might have come out, it would still be helpful to have the content categorized on install in a consistent way.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Typing in 'Hair' at the top of the Content Library tab shows all hair in your listed runtimes. It is even more useful now that many of them are marked 'Material' or 'Pose' which is what you are asking for.

It only shows about 1/4 of the hair I have installed. For instance, it will show the materials for some items not the actual hair.

When I search for just hair, it also finds chair poses for some reason, and Jaime's eyes, several face textures etc.

To me it is kind of useless.

None of the stuff in say... Genesis Starter Edition shows up in the 'hair' search even though several hairs came with that installer.

• cridgitcridgit Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2022

Redacted

Post edited by cridgit on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I always install in small batches and categorize immediately, even before importing metadata, so I know my categories are complete (my custom categories are all outside of the default categories, so everything with metadata gets categorized both ways). In fact, I categorize in DS3 first, and then migrate to DS4, although of course DS3 doesn't see .dsf/.duf files.