4.5 is killing all of my old scenes

IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

1. I load one of my old scenes, from 4.0 pro.

2. It looks fine.

3. I save it using my new 4.5

4. I open DAZ, load the file and I get this.

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=5&aid=15189_bSPzN9gfiMYofGTXuHRF&thumb=1&board_id=1

There are no error pop-ups. Though I haven't checked the log.

-

Really, all of my old scenes are turning out like this. Why?

Can I just go back to 4.0 pro? I was much happier there.

Comments

• edited December 1969

This is exactly my problem;
    I have fixed the objects that were giving errors (I think) but now have a load of useless scenes.
    I spent a load of time last week working on several scenes to finish later, and now i have installed 4.5 they are all unusable unless there is a way to fix them. I have tried applying the script (it does not seem to work on scenes).

The closest I have managed to a fix was to change the character back to base (grey) genesis and save that (saving as V5 or other preset characters did not work)
    opening and then applying the shape and mat wanted and then saving a second time. The error message still appears but at least the character is not exploded.

Is there a better and quicker way that this?

• edited December 1969

SORRY IGNORE ABOVE
    That must have been a fluke; I CANNOT rescue scenes and they remain completely f'ed up

Please someone post if and how they can be rescued in very simple language that takes someone through in very simple steps

thanks

• IppotamusIppotamus Posts: 1,578
    edited December 1969

I'm glad I'm not alone at least.

At this point I just want to go to back to 4.0
    But my Windows restore point is stuck with this clunker.

Even the initial load up of the blank Genesis character is loaded with 20 "WARNING: fileinput\dzassetdaz.cpp(4874): Could not find target property for formula" errors

I'm afraid to use it and waste even more time on this.
    Seriously, I didn't touch the release candidate for this exact reason.
    But I have to deal with it anyways?

edited August 2012

Whatever you do, do NOT system restore back to your previous DAZ.
    You will be sorry.
    I am VERY sorry.

I'm going to have to re-install this hot freaking mess.

-

Well, managed to rollback my rollback and am right back where I started.

If there is no fix to the original errors I really need to know how to get back to 4.0 pro.
    I use genesis almost exclusively, so this current situation is not working out for me at all.
    Once again my DAZ experience is left with me just wanting things the way they were. *sigh*

Post edited by Ippotamus on
  • larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

Sorry to hear that guys. This is why I won't update to 4.5 until I'm done with a few projects. Even though I tested one of the 4.5 RC on a laptop and the upgrade when relatively smoothly I dont want to risk losing work in a project while I am mid way through.

Good luck in finding a solution, hopefully someone will be able to help.

• tiagoandriottitiagoandriotti Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Hello guys.

I had the same problems before, that`s why I still working on DS3a until I finish the project.
    All my old scenes were built on DS3, but seems that just complexes meshes like V4 and M4 don`t work properly.

BUT did one thing that made DS4 correct the V4 meshes once, and then I could open my scene:

1. Open a new project.
    2. Load the main model (v4, m4, dragon or any other complex model that you have problem loading)
    3. Load ALL the morphs for that model. On my case it were a V4 with all my 10 morphs (muscle,++, steph, aiko, old, distinctive, g4, shefreak, nbm, ngt etc)
    4. Load the custom morph like the character face/body/skin (example,
    5. Place the custom inj or fix if you were using any.
    6. Save the project anywhere.

This save may create some files on your content/data folder that will allow you to open your scene again.

Another thing, I suggest you to create new base models to use on DS4.5, maybe it is the only chance to go from one to another without loosing everything, and always keep a copy of the older project.

I bought a lot of genesis stuff, if my characters become stable there I will begin the migration, slowly, really slowly.

• Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    1. I load one of my old scenes, from 4.0 pro.

2. It looks fine.

3. I save it using my new 4.5

4. I open DAZ, load the file and I get this.

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=5&aid=15189_bSPzN9gfiMYofGTXuHRF&thumb=1&board_id=1

There are no error pop-ups. Though I haven't checked the log.

-

I've had that problem on a few of my old files originally saved in daz 2 and 3. So you are not alone. I've also had several that flat refuse to load. either kicking S4.5 out to the deaktop, and in 2 cases completely locking my windows 7 system forcing me to do a hard reset. It seams the ones causing the worst problems were those originally created and saved in the last version of Studio 2.
    edited December 1969

I really just can't believe it.
    You would think this could have been stated in bold letters somewhere.
    It seems like a pretty major freaking issue.

I've installed, rolled back, uninstalled and reset so many times I think I've created a whole new DAZ Studio from this mess and I still can't load any of my old scenes without exploding Genesis.

Absolutely and utterly exhausting.

I need a new hobby. :/

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

Ok fellowes I am sorry about your problems.

then you can believe or not, hope to try.

just save the same exprosion sean as duf again. of course it is better to save as another name.

now you have exprosion icon for duf scene.

then open it (I understand you can not believe)

but manycase it will be correct.

then save as duf again. your icon (it means short cut for duf) will be correct too.

edited December 1969

just save the same exprosion sean as duf again. of course it is better to save as another name.

then save as duf again. your icon (it means short cut for duf) will be correct too.

You are amazing!

1. I opened an old scene in 4.5 pro.

2. I saved it.

3. I opened it again and got the exploded Genesis effect.

4. I saved the exploded Genesis scene again, changing the name slightly. (Don't know if that's important or not, but I'm not rocking the boat at this point).

5. I loaded the name changed scene back up and it was perfect.

I had seriously given up all hope.
    Thank you so much for your answer and time.

Simply perfect :)

edited December 1969

haha^^

actually it is not important to save as another name.

but you should keep your old.daz file . if you want to return ds 4.

not need exproded genesis file of course.

so just delete exproded seanes after you get correct duf sceanes.

(I do not think every sceane you can get buck, but it is another problem.. buy!)

• vip808_e751f31ab6vip808_e751f31ab6 Posts: 17
    edited December 1969

same thing is happening to me.. even if i saved it again with a different name.. because it is happening only to my genesis characters the solution to my problem is to convert triax weight to general weight.. i dont know why but it works.. im having all sorts of problems with Daz Studio 4.5.0.114 Pro Edition 64 bit which just started about a week ago.. now im having a warning about double i.d. and my categorizes which has taked me weeks to organize doesnt load

Screen_Shot_2012-10-21_at_9.04_.12_AM_.png
    1920 x 1200 - 435K
    Screen_Shot_2012-10-21_at_9.04_.01_AM_.png
    1920 x 1200 - 552K
    Screen_Shot_2012-10-21_at_9.03_.28_AM_.png
    1920 x 1200 - 477K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

vip808 said:
    same thing is happening to me.. even if i saved it again with a different name.. because it is happening only to my genesis characters the solution to my problem is to convert triax weight to general weight.. i dont know why but it works.. im having all sorts of problems with Daz Studio 4.5.0.114 Pro Edition 64 bit which just started about a week ago.. now im having a warning about double i.d. and my categorizes which has taked me weeks to organize doesnt load

For the exploding Genesis, did you try saving the scene as .duf, clearing the scene, loading the .duf, and then saving again?

For the duplicate IDs you need to either reset the product giving you the warnings and install the updated version, or use Richard Haseltine's script (or ignore it -- in most cases the items will still work).

For the categories, have you tried restarting the CMS?

edited December 1969

fixmypcmike,
    thats a negative at saving as duf. still explodes., I'm not a programer and cant makes heads or tails from the log.. dont know where to find or what to do with Richard Haseltine’s script.. i know the product that's failing is my Genesis so im reinstalling that, coiuld not find any updates on Genesis Starter Bundle so im just gonna re-download it and install it again..spent most of the day looking for a way to restart my CMS cant find the thread that i used before.. just saw the post about the Daz4 update so im gonna try that first before i sleep

edited December 1969

vip808 said:
    fixmypcmike,
    thats a negative at saving as duf. still explodes., I'm not a programer and cant makes heads or tails from the log.. dont know where to find or what to do with Richard Haseltine’s script.. i know the product that's failing is my Genesis so im reinstalling that, coiuld not find any updates on Genesis Starter Bundle so im just gonna re-download it and install it again..spent most of the day looking for a way to restart my CMS cant find the thread that i used before.. just saw the post about the Daz4 update so im gonna try that first before i sleep

It seems to solve it to load the .duf and save it again. The link to start the CMS is in Start menu > Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've seen this work with load, resave then exit DS (clears mem and all pointers that have loaded) then restart DS and load new file. Just my two cents.

• sweetrosesweetrose Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:
    Whatever you do, do NOT system restore back to your previous DAZ.
    You will be sorry.
    I am VERY sorry.

I'm going to have to re-install this hot freaking mess.

-

Well, managed to rollback my rollback and am right back where I started.

If there is no fix to the original errors I really need to know how to get back to 4.0 pro.
    I use genesis almost exclusively, so this current situation is not working out for me at all.
    Once again my DAZ experience is left with me just wanting things the way they were. *sigh*

wait hold up how do you reinstall it without unistalling it ???

edited December 1969

thanx fixmypcmike for the help.. characters are still un-pose-able tho.. they just deform when u move them...

edited December 1969

vip808 said:
    thanx fixmypcmike for the help.. characters are still un-pose-able tho.. they just deform when u move them...

Is that with the Triax weights, or after converting them to a different rigging system?

edited December 1969

it is with Triax weights i dont know how to covert it to a different rigging system...fixmypcmike, what updates did Daz3d studio do in the last weeks that effected Genesis? do i need to buy that DYSON importer to make things work?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited November 2012

DSON files are for Poswer users wanting to use genesis etc in Poser.

A lot of genesis content has been updated, have you updated all your genesis morphs etc...see this thread for details Updated Genesis Products List & Thing To Be Aware Of

Post edited by Szark on
    edited November 2012

Hi,, vip 801,, fixmepcmike ask you , because you said

it is happening only to my genesis characters the solution to my problem is to convert triax weight to general weight.. i dont know why but it works

I do not know why it can work, but it seems not good solution.
    maybe you need not convert triax weight to general weight.

because of you have changed the genesis weight to general weight
    I think if , you can not pose the genesis now,,,

do you have oliginal saved .daz file sitll?

lets try again, from start pointo.

first load " your.daz" file. and not touch anything.
    ust save as. "your.duf "file.

when you load the "your.duf" scene , it may broken. (your figure may exprode)
    not need to change triax to general weight.

just save again the your.duf file as same name . your.duf
    (you may need not the corrupted duf.file anymore, so you can overwrite it as same file name)

now you have broken figure icon for the twice saved duf file. but if you load it,
    the exproded genesis problem will be removed.

this is your start point to remove your problem.

then,, next problem is, how poze your genesis.(if you can not poze genesis still)

when you load the, duf if you have no erroer message, (not important think about duplicate ID erroer now
    you can remove them,, if you want, but it seems no refference about your pozign problem)

if you can not poze genesis about new saved.duf scene (without changing weight,,)

I want to check if you used many pins cothings and figure about pozing? or if the clothings set Enable smoothing on?

first just remove all pins,(if you used it)
    and turned off Enable smoothing" then what happen when you set new poze about genesis.
    genesis will break ? or clothing will break?

edited>>

and what character morph do you apply the genesis for the scene? y
    if the morph file has problem, I think you can check it by log file from top menu
    Help >trouble shooting>view log file

if the problem is from character morph, you need to download and reinstall new version of the product.
    and set again the morph to the genesis in your scene.

if the problem is from your clothings, you need to download and reinstall new version of the clothings.
    you need to check, what item you have used for your scene. not think about all items which you have not used in your scene now.

edited November 2012

did what u said saved it as a character preset titled your.duf, closed DS4 reopened and loaded your.duf
    character opens up with boobs, adjust the victoria 4 dial (funny i never used it building the character), then i tried posing the arm

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

oopps pic 1 and 2 are switched sorry the 2nd pic should have been the first

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,219
    edited December 1969

The images had to be removed as they showed a nude figure - either show an untextured figure or give it some clothes.

Your problem appears to be that you have changed the shape enough that the joint centres are no longer within the mesh, and so you get weird distortions. You need to adjust the rigging to accommodate your morph:

Apply your morph, only - no pose or other morphs.

Edit>Figure>Rigging>Adjust rigging to shape.

Try some poses to make sure that is working.

Assuming the rigging is now right, make sure the pose is reset so you have only your morph and the adjusted rigging applied.

Right-click on the Property Editor's tab to get the pane menu, select ERC Freeze.

From the drop-down lists at the top select Genesis as the figure and your morph as the control property. In the From the scrolling box at the bottom make sure that the only things checked are adjusted joint centres. Leave the options at the bottom of the dialogue checked, and click Accept.

You should now find that setting your morph also adjust the joints to avoid distortion. Assuming that is so, save your morph as a Morph Asset (File>Save as>Support Asset>Morph Asset).

edited December 1969

Hi,, :) then,,I can not clearly understand what you saved before,, and what you want to ^^;

I said,,, first load old .daz format scene file which you saved before,,it is scene file.
    (so,, if you saved character dsf file etc ^^;?)

I said,, save the old.daz scene file as .duf scene file

usually you can find the problem when you open the saved duf scene file ^^;
    I said do not touch the scene and save it as.duf scene file again.

I do not know why you save it as character preset duf?
    I never said save it as character preest TT)

see picture,, character preset is the file to keep the material and shape(morph) value at that time
    for genesis (or triax figure )you select in the scene,, so it naver save the pose.

and if you load the character preset to the genesis in the scene,
    it apply (change) the saved value about material and shape with the figure in the scene.

next picture, I load new genesis, and apply the saved character preset.
    i saved pozing monster as character preset.duf, but mosnter just keep zero pozing.

if you do not select any figure, it may just load new genesis, and apply the saved value.
    or you may see pop uo window, and may be asked "apply or load new figure"

so I do not know why you saved the character preset and aplly or load new genesis now ^^;

I think,,, you better to check , not saved, but load new genesis.
    and it can move poze without problem?

1 load new scene.
    2 load new genesis.duf. (not apply preset file or etc,,)

then apply your morphs as same as your figure (it ugly bend and exproded) in the picture.
    not need apply saved character preset,, or,, material ^^; adjust by controller only.

. then the morph shaped genesis can move well?

if there is problem, it seems no refference with old scene. it is problem about genesis.duf and morphs etc.

applypreset.JPG
    550 x 588 - 54K
    pozingmonster.JPG
    656 x 601 - 74K
    edited December 1969

sorry kitakoredaz.. my bad.. ok i saved it as a a scene but it still has the same problem.. i opened a new scene. loaded a genesis.duf from the content library.. tried to pose it and it still explodes.. so tonight im gonna start from scratch and delete DAZ and reinstall latest Daz Studio and move on from there thanks for all the help guy..now i'm gonna cross my fingers and hope it works..

edited December 1969

I am sorry , Richard reply you, and I felt it has more sense about your problem.

while I am thinking how to guide you as I can, then click send message, already Richard has been replied you.
    (his answer must be more useful than I reply ^^; I know,,)

so can you understand clearly ,what Richard said? I hope first you try what he said.

your moprh changed shape so much from base genesis shape, then the bones may not fit to the morphed shape.

I think most product morph can adjust rig with ERCfreeze, but if your morph can only change the shape,
    and not adjust rigs to the shape,, the rigs keep the original positon, so if you move the bone(rotate) weight mapped mesh
    move so much, that the geometry may brake.

I think,,, if you could not poze the figure befored your saved scene with tthe morph,,
    or you rotate rimits of range,, it may broke,,

so Richard say,, you need to set ERC freeze and adjust the rigs for your shape,
    when you use the morph, the genesis rig move to and fit to the shape.

you may need to change Display scene view bone property, of figure to check your morph how move bones,,
    when you apply your morph, and check the bone,, you may understand,,
    how they wrok or not,,

lets ask ,, if you can not,,,, I stlll watch this topic,, and hope you can enjoy ds 4.5.

bonecheck.JPG
    1039 x 796 - 129K
  • genejokegenejoke Posts: 128
    edited December 1969

Sorry if this overlaps anyones comments, i haven't read the whole thread... Anyway.

I have had this a few times and the only way I found to get around it is to save the characters,delete them and resave the scene. recreate the characters in a new scene then merge it with thee old one.

• DzmanDzman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ippotamus said:

You are amazing!

1. I opened an old scene in 4.5 pro.

2. I saved it.

3. I opened it again and got the exploded Genesis effect.

4. I saved the exploded Genesis scene again, changing the name slightly. (Don't know if that's important or not, but I'm not rocking the boat at this point).

5. I loaded the name changed scene back up and it was perfect.

I had seriously given up all hope.
    Thank you so much for your answer and time.

Simply perfect :)

WF_ : ) What a simle - nice answer, releived me quite a bit.
    These comments and storyies scared the _ out of me.