GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• Cheryl_SCheryl_S Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Cant use it at all with out it crashing, even the most basic thing, eg, using parameter dials on V4 clothing crashes it, So far I have opened it 5 times, so far it has crashed 5 times, I have not even been able to get past dressing V4 and posing her. let alone make a scene. My specs are right, using a brand new laptop with hardly anything else on it. It even crashes when I shut it down.
    I think I would be better off going back to a more stable version

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    Khory said:
    provide a batch conversion utility.

Will the included one not do that?

DAZ Studio 4.5 includes a new pane that will batch compress/uncompress *.duf and *.dsf files. It will also batch convert *.ds, *.dsa to *.dsb or *.dse, and *.dsb (non-encrypted) to *.dsa or *.dse. The pane is found by going to Main Menu Bar > Window > Panes (Tabs) > Batch Convert.

Khory: I did not notice the bit on the DAZ Batch Convert prior to my post. However, I see no indication that this will allow a batch conversion of .daz to .duf. Everything but that... We can only hope they included this capability somewhere else.

I wouldn't think batch-conversion of .daz to .duf is possible, as .duf contains info the .daz does not, e.g. the location of the Poser files to recreate the Data files.

I still not clear as to why it could not work since a manual conversion is a .daz load and followed by a .duf save. Unless I am missing something, after the .daz load, there is no other user action required in order for the save to complete the conversion to .duf. Why can't this two-step manual process be automated?

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507
    edited December 1969

In my view, it is not acceptable for any of us to have to re-build our scenes. If this problem existed in the RC releases and was not fixed prior to general release, this is simply another perfect example of the type of behavior that continues to drive the wedge deeper between DAZ and it’s user community. Why DAZ cannot understand this is a deep mystery to many of us.

I reported my problems with exploding scenes and morphs being zeroed, but the consensus appeared to be that it was likely a problem on my end, as no one else either had the problem to begin with or seemed to be able to duplicate it to my knowledge. If more people had reported it and proven that it was a legitimate issue and not just one guy's problem, I'm sure it would have been addressed. I can certainly agree that it would great to never have to rebuild our scenes or characters, but it's a good idea to back up your MATs and MORs anyway.

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

Just found a new prob - InaneGlory's Photo Studio 1 lights cause an immediate crash to desktop. Guess these will have to be updated also? Anyone else experienced this? Have to say I'm loving the increased speed with 4.5, both load times and rendering, though it still seems a little shaky on loading thumbnails....

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

mmm,, anyway,, MY biggest problem is now how to treat duplicate ID erroer ^^;

Saltan, I remember you and I said about exprosion old RC ver thread^^

if it will corect I uninstalled metadata and product, then reinstall new metadata.

though I worry if I made the scene by duplicate ID erroer items,

would I find same erroer about the scene?
    or can not find assetes erroer.

I dare say ,, .daz scene file has one good point. if I uninstalled some data, or moved it,
    daz scene file recover the item.

actually, when I broke my reforming items and feel mess, I find the scene .daz file which include the item,
    they can recover.

and daz scene files seldom show "erroer message" I thought (but I will not go buck ds 4.0.3) ^^;

edited August 2012

AANNDD,, I hoped daz new tool "Push Modifier" will save from many poke through,,
    so I should install and challenge this new technolozy,, I thought

but,,, It seems just change soft thin ffit clothing to "thick items"
    cool soft dress turned to , thick garments,,
    I do not want to use it in hot summer,,
    it looks like you push out super man suit parts,,

so Can not adjust the value of the value how push and modify? ^^:

and How do you use this "Push Modifier" ? is therre any interesting usage?

push.jpg
    533 x 682 - 178K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
  • vienastoksvienastoks Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

For me 4.5 is a "skip and forget" at least for now. Speed improvements are nice, but this version is far from stable and arguably hardly any more stable than 4.0.3.47 - it crashes when adding a camera to a fully composed scene, for example.

There are nice things, but they're smaller than drawbacks. 4.5 feels somewhat more sprighty when moving around in the viewport; labels on the smart content icons are nice. But that's about it - you get it in exchange for major incompatibilities (Generation X, other plugins) and a "fake free" status, whereby you have to click on the empty serial box dialog every time you start a program. Sad experience for those who bought Pro version (or even an upgrade). Feels like one uses a pirated program.

What I would like to see is auto-fit for shoes (not gonna happen), simple step-by-step system to transfer legacy content into the smart content (won't hold my breath), internal notification system for updated content/plugins (major pain now). Those are worth much more than "ease of sharing" (why - anyone seen people sharing .daz scenes en masse?).

I'm all for progress, of course. And 4.5 is a step ahead. But I'll wait for 4.5.5 and more valuable improvements. :)

edited August 2012

In my view, it is not acceptable for any of us to have to re-build our scenes. If this problem existed in the RC releases and was not fixed prior to general release, this is simply another perfect example of the type of behavior that continues to drive the wedge deeper between DAZ and it’s user community. Why DAZ cannot understand this is a deep mystery to many of us.

I reported my problems with exploding scenes and morphs being zeroed, but the consensus appeared to be that it was likely a problem on my end, as no one else either had the problem to begin with or seemed to be able to duplicate it to my knowledge. If more people had reported it and proven that it was a legitimate issue and not just one guy's problem, I'm sure it would have been addressed. I can certainly agree that it would great to never have to rebuild our scenes or characters, but it's a good idea to back up your MATs and MORs anyway.

SnowSultan: There is a relatively small sample of users that have posted so far on this thread. But the subset of users already reporting the problem would tend to indicate that the overall number of users who will experience this could be very significant. This is really about employing good software quality practices during development. This issue could have and should have been caught before general release.

I fully agree with your statement regarding backup of MAT/MORs. I do have presets carefully backed up in .dsa files for the figures that I am currently working with. However, I also have a character archive of about 60 Genesis/V5/M5 figures that I stored in .daz files thinking that these should be usable in future DS releases. It took long enough, as is, to generate the .daz files without also having to generate MAT/MOR for each one. Do you generate MAT/MORs for every single figure in every single scene? How do we know which type of figures will be affected by changes?

DAZ felt it was important enough to provide users with a way to continue saving "deprecated" presets. Why not allow us to continue saving to .daz files until the .duf format is fully wrung out? A cynical view might infer that it is because DAZ knows .ds* files are still needed by PAs building that content to put in the DAZ store, but those .daz files, well, they aren't generating any money for DAZ...

Post edited by artistb3 on
  • GranvilleGranville Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if they fixed the depth of field? When I first tried out 4.5 rc1 it ignored depth of field and would no longer produce the gorgeous renders that 3 would. Has anyone use Depth of field successfully in 4.5?

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Content Library tab > options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines icon in the upper corner) > Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata

Thank you!

edited August 2012

I haven't yet been able to get past .daz-to-.duf testing in order to test other features. I also notice that the conversion does not handle visibility parameters correctly. If a node is made not-visible at the root-only in a .daz file, the conversion will turn off visibility for all of the sub-nodes when saved to a .duf file. This means that if you have multiple items made not visible in your scene, when you want to turn them on, you will need to expand each desired item, select all nodes, and then go the the parameters tab to make them visible.

After this, if you turn the item off at the root node and then re-save the .duf file, it will correctly save the visibility parameters for the next load. Did DAZ QA even bother to test this prior to release?

For saving a full scene, the File->Save now basically works the same as the File->Save As which makes it useless. In fact, less than useless in my estimation since it no longer even populates the "File Name:" field in the save dialog. This is going to result in users inadvertently over-writing the wrong files...

Post edited by artistb3 on
  • TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:
    Geometry shell wont subdivide, it also doesn't respond to smoothing modifier settings . Anyone else tried it?

I tried it, and so far the Geometry Shell seems to be essentially useless.

• jaunke_29fff27795jaunke_29fff27795 Posts: 144
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    Just found a new prob - InaneGlory's Photo Studio 1 lights cause an immediate crash to desktop. Guess these will have to be updated also? Anyone else experienced this? *scissors*

That's what happens to me too, i do hope they'll get an update! :roll:

And it's both 1 and 2.

Grtz Jean-Claude

Ps: any one filled in a bug report for that???

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Does anyone know if they fixed the depth of field? When I first tried out 4.5 rc1 it ignored depth of field and would no longer produce the gorgeous renders that 3 would. Has anyone use Depth of field successfully in 4.5?

Yes. I'm participating in the DOF new user contest and using 4.5, and can verify that the latest release does not ignore depth of field (neither did RC2). As far as I can tell, DOF is working as intended.
    edited December 1969

Someone was asking about settings for the Push Modifier.. there is a slider for that. It's under the Mesh Offset under General.

PushMod-Offset.jpg
    468 x 257 - 36K
  • Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:
    Geometry shell wont subdivide, it also doesn't respond to smoothing modifier settings . Anyone else tried it?

Resolved subdivide/shell. Shell is the same as original subdivided figure (+.1%, adjust to 0% for accuracy)
    No resolution on Geometry shell/Smoothing modifier though.
    edited December 1969

oh RAMwolf SO thanks,,, I could not find it!

Of course I believed there should be slider !! (maybe) :coolsmile:

• Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

I've seen that too. But fortunately it was only in test scenes. Then again all my scenes are tests.
    We seem to be in a continuous 99% beta.
    Although it has improved by a magnitude, hats off to those involved.

Post edited by Rayman29 on
    edited December 1969

Your most welcome! :-)

• CymbidiumCymbidium Posts: 213
    edited December 1969

jeanke said:
    Cymbidium said:
    Just found a new prob - InaneGlory's Photo Studio 1 lights cause an immediate crash to desktop. Guess these will have to be updated also? Anyone else experienced this? *scissors*

And it's both 1 and 2.

Grtz Jean-Claude

Sort of glad it wasn't only me, but that's not promising. Only have '1', but I guess they would be essentially the same light shaders so not surprising they are both affected. I haven't filled in a bug report (never having made one before) - was really waiting to see how many more people had experienced this.

• Reggie68Reggie68 Posts: 17
    edited August 2012

Just testing a few things and found that if you use the V4 Shape of a Woman morphs, figure hairs won't fit correctly (DS4.0 and DS3 will as does the 4.5RC3).

EDIT:
    Looks as though it is magnifying the scaling on the bones of a hair figure. If you scale the whole character, it's fine. If you scale the chest to 90%, then the it looks as though the hair bones have been down-scaled twice.

Post edited by Reggie68 on
    edited August 2012

Well I think the new Push Modifier will def come in handy.

Here is Aiko 3, old old scene.... Wildhair, Whisper outfit and some fog props (2 of them from Jepe's collection).

Loaded up the old scene.

Changed up Aiko's face morphs a bit so she didn't look quite so scary.

Wildhair got a smoothing modifier and Sub-D and adjusted the scalp to her a bit more and changed out the colors, added a bump and displacement too.

Whisper outfit... panties just got a smoothing modifier which caused them snap to the outer part of the crotch better, like that allot. The main outfit (top) had some issue with staying on top of the panties so added in the Push Modifier, Sub-D and Smoothing modifier and then set the 3 PBMGluteBig morphs (left, right and hip) to a -100% and PBMRealistic -160% & *poof*... fits perfectly and the Push gave it some more substance so it looked thicker. Set the Push to a nice comfy .39%.... like it allot now.

Resaved it as a new scene .duf file and reopened it to make sure it wasn't going to explode or anything! :P

AikoPureFog.jpg
    997 x 1068 - 171K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

do i need to install this in a special way so I dont loose anything I've already installed?

I'm scared about lights and shaders not working. why does every update set us back instead of forward? :(

edited December 1969

Didn't overwrite anything. There is a thread that shows what lights and shaders are updated.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/5976/

I know the Itemized History search is really horrible right now but what I did with the PW's was start at the last page and worked my way back up. Uber same. Om too. If you start from A it will take you more clicks. Don't forget to scroll to the bottom and set your views to 50 rather than the default of 10 or 15 (iirc)

I don't think DS has set us back at all with this release. I do notice some crashes here and there but I'm pushing the envelope to cause them. Currently I'm trying to figure out how to convert Gen 3 to Triax Weght-mapping and then trying to get the joints smoothed out using the brush tool but yea, that crashed DS but never figured out what the heck I was doing in the first place! lmao!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

a "fake free" status, whereby you have to click on the empty serial box dialog every time you start a program. Sad experience for those who bought Pro version (or even an upgrade). Feels like one uses a pirated program.

Your Pro serial number should work - mine certainly did.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    For saving a full scene, the File->Save now basically works the same as the File->Save As which makes it useless. In fact, less than useless in my estimation since it no longer even populates the "File Name:" field in the save dialog. This is going to result in users inadvertently over-writing the wrong files...

It shouldn't prompt if the user information of the scene matches the current user - Edit>Preferences>General, click the Edit button under the Authorship info panel. This was done to make it harder to overwrite content delivery files, such as the default loader for Genesis.

• jaunke_29fff27795jaunke_29fff27795 Posts: 144
    edited December 1969

Cymbidium said:
    jeanke said:
    Cymbidium said:

And it's both 1 and 2.

Grtz Jean-Claude

Sort of glad it wasn't only me, but that's not promising. Only have '1', but I guess they would be essentially the same light shaders so not surprising they are both affected. I haven't filled in a bug report (never having made one before) - was really waiting to see how many more people had experienced this.

I'll fill one in, we'll see what happens. Atleast they know it's a problem :).

Grtz Jean-Claude

edited December 1969

OK... one more Aiko 3 post. I spent the last couple of hours having lots of fun, seriously not kidding, updating this file. Saved out as a new file. This is an OLD freebie. Everyone remember Arien? Well before she broke into the brokerage she was doing freebies with this other dude that's long since left .... This is Freja. A very very comprehensive set he did. I don't think Arien did any textures for it but they were the team to beat back then. Both inspired allot of folks including me. The skin is by MAB, old fun set she did called Sherra. It's been tweaked with my own shaders to make it appear darker. My eye Iris's from my Iris Swap pack I did eons ago. Mostly the outfit is done with shaders by Fisty except for the dark starry speckled bits on the hose and inner lining of the cape. The main dress and outer cape are also my own textures and shaders. Hair came with the pack but the textures are mine as well.

One of the wonderful things about this update is that things render extremely fast. It's a joy to do all this work and not have to sit around and wait and wait and wait for it to render. Even transparencies are rendering quickly. Amazing also is the Push, Smoothing and Sub-D which got every bit of this fitting Aiko 3's morphed frame perfectly. Can't believe it. I gave up years ago trying to get this to fit MY preferred morphed look for her as there were only a limited amount of morphs provided with the pack.

I know it's just a picture to some but it was allot of fun getting particular file updated and finding that with all the advances to DAZ Studio even older models and clothing are finally able to be fitted and look their very best.

I think DAZ's next step or challenge should be a way to allow us to weight map older figures and provide a template to refit clothing to them while retaining the movement morphs. Another outfit was Dixie for A3 that was pretty comprehensive and redid that file. Loading the original .daz file crashed DS 3 times so I just rebuilt from scratch. One other did that as well, no biggie, it wasn't worth saving, it used the Morphing Fantasy Dress and well.... Genesis has that so no biggie.

I think next I'll attempt to get all 22 pieces of the Freja outfit over to Genesis if I can! That would be SO cool! :-)

Aiko-FrejaUpdated.jpg
    834 x 1067 - 155K
    edited December 1969

Ram woulf just thanks so much again your guidance and report about modifier . ^^

edited December 1969

I try to help where I can in all this craziness. :-)