'Progressive Render', what does this do exactly....

solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

The 'Progressive Render' check box, what exactly does this do???
Thus far, I've been rendering without it. When I did try it briefly at the beginning, the render was taking extraordinarily long, so I abandoned the process.
I did a forum search here, but can't seem to find a conversation on the subject.
I'm assuming that it takes so much longer because it is doing more detailed rendering, is this indeed the case?
Or is it more for specific purposes like occlusion and shadows, maybe?
Would appreciate some real world application and thoughts on usage of 'Pregressive Render'.
Thanks!

-Sol

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Best advice is don't use it. It gobbles up masses of RAM very quickly, and has been known to crash otherwise stable systems.

It needs to be stopped long before completion or it may crash DS4. If I need to see what a light or surface looks lie quickly, I just turn up the Shading Rate to 4 or even 8, and that gives me an idea.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,655
    edited December 1969

Progressive render is progressive in the same way that Progressive JPG is - it starts off by doing a very widely spaced set of pixels, then goes back and does the pixels half-way between those, then goes back and fills in between those and so on. It is slow and memory-hungry, so I really wouldn't use it for a final render - where it is useful is doing a crude render to get a feel of how the whole scene is building, and how the lights are falling, without having to wait for a full render to complete - it's especially useful when used with the Spot Render tool.

• solarviewsolarview Posts: 272
    edited December 1969

Hey guys, thanks for the quick replies.
    I actually just found a DAZ video fully explaining Progressive Rendering, by leaving the forum and doing a quick google search. And exactly as you said Richard, just like jpeg rendering for a partial preview. My previous experience was a compete bogging down of my i7 core iMac system, taking hours, until I bailed on it. So probably the RAM issue you guys mention here. I think I'll just leave that box alone. :)

Thanks!

• AngelAngel Posts: 1,204
    edited November 2014

I dunno. I find it to be quite amazing. I been using lux renderer for a little over a year now so I'm used to the long waits.
    Really it depends on how well do you want the render to look in the end. Me, I prefer the best quality I can get my hands on.
    Even if it takes a few hours.

In Daz, my average wait time for a render is 1Hr 30mins but I've been known to wait 18 hours for a single render to complete.
    On spot renders its useful, if you have the pixel samples and shading rate way low. 2x 2y shading. 2.00.
    If you use Progressive rendering, with uber surfaces, and uber lighting, shadow type (Raytraced)
    ray trace maxed, on a 20x samples & 20y samples on a shading rate of 0.2
    you can create some amazing renders. Be aware you will be waiting a while. Render the final while at work, or asleep.

Post edited by Angel on
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited December 1969

I just had a go at progressive render. The scene I used is lit by AoA's advanced spotlight and advanced ambient light. The progressive render didn't seem any slower than normal but the final quality was not as good. The shadows were a lot more spotty and the image looked a bit less sharp.

Is a progressive render supposed to be the same quality as a normal one?