DAZ Studio Pro BETA [Project Iradium] - version 4.8.0.4!

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

Right, Mantle and Vulcan are realtime gaming APIs, which could be used for the OpenGL viewport, but it's not for "Photrealistic renderering". If you see something extremely cool in a game, you should keep in mind that it is most certainly prerendered and precalculated, even things like reflections and things like that are, as they are too time consuming to do fully in real time.

IRay, 3DL and other render engines are made to render thing not in real time, except using extreme systems. nVidia ships a system with 8 cards as 12GB VRAM per card. You stack a rack of those and you can make HD animation renders in real time, but you could also get yourself a private Jet for the same money.
    ...well not maybe a private jet (those cost multiple millions and up) but a quite possibly a Cessna 421C.or if you have the need for speed on the ground a a Lamborghini Murciélago.

Ok, those are very impressive! If you have the wherewithall to do that with Iray then all power to you. I'll just admire from here for the moment....

CHEERS!

EDIT:

Wait, were those photos!?
    ...yes, they are. I think the only 3d models of those are in .3ds format (and quite possibly only sold on a pro site for 100$) which is unreadable in Daz.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

In folks experiences with the various flavors of the NVIDIA cards who is the clear winner in your eyes...

EVGA
    MSI
    GIGABYTE
    PNY
    ZOTAC
    ASUS

I'm leaning towards EVGA or GIGABYTE (since I love love love their motherboards)...

If I can find a on line retailer that takes Paypal Credit I'll go with that retailer for sure.

• KatherineKatherine Posts: 326
    edited December 1969

dkmarcos said:
    My second try. This haven't postproduction. Very fast :D

This looks really good! :)

Kat

• Cliff BowmanCliff Bowman Posts: 1,677
    edited December 1969

Toyen said:
    Skin under more realistic lightingg conditions.

2 lights inside the room - TV (blueish) and lamp on the left (warm).

Then there´s an image assigned to the dome to emit light which does not seem to be making that much of a difference to the scene. (Unlike uberenviroment, the image you assign to it always makes huge difference when it comes to lighting).

I quite like the skin here.

By the way, it´s an unfinished render. Just a preview : ) Let me know what u think.

Now I´m gonna try to play with the shader settings and see what they do.

I like. A lot.

Cheers,

Cliff

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited March 2015

RAMWolff said:
    In folks experiences with the various flavors of the NVIDIA cards who is the clear winner in your eyes...

EVGA
    MSI
    GIGABYTE
    PNY
    ZOTAC
    ASUS

I'm leaning towards EVGA or GIGABYTE (since I love love love their motherboards)...

If I can find a on line retailer that takes Paypal Credit I'll go with that retailer for sure.

I looked at EVGA too and the only 4GB one I could find that was reasonably priced had DDR3 and not 5. My current Asus has 2GB of DDR5.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

...yes, they are. I think the only 3d models of those are in .3ds format (and quite possibly only sold on a pro site for 100$) which is unreadable in Daz.

Oops, LOL, I thought they looked too good somehow!

CHEERS!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited March 2015

for those of you (us) with older cards or incompatible cards how is IRay rendering in a CPU capacity and has anyone made complex (multiple figures, props textures) renders with it and about how long did those take over CPU?

...actually working with such a test scene now. However running into an issue where the final output size is not the same as I have set in the render settings.the camera angle also looks to be slightly different form the camera I am supposed to be rendering through.This is odd as the first test (before I figured out how to get the sun positioned where I wanted it) everything was fine.

On the previous page is a post of the 3DL test I did of this same scene.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

EVGA
    MSI
    GIGABYTE
    PNY
    ZOTAC
    ASUS

I always use Asus. IMO, they go the extra mile in making top-quality products.

I already have an Asus I'm about to give in and buy the Asus GeForce Gtx 970. I've been dithering all day, but I'm a sucker for more speed.

mac

edited March 2015

maclean said:

I always use Asus. IMO, they go the extra mile in making top-quality products.

I already have an Asus I'm about to give in and buy the Asus GeForce Gtx 970. I've been dithering all day, but I'm a sucker for more speed.

mac

I did contemplate Asus Gtx's last year but they were way out of my price range and still are. I got lucky with the AMD one I have now.

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

EVGA
    MSI
    GIGABYTE
    PNY
    ZOTAC
    ASUS

I personally have used EVGA for all my recent builds, until my current work computer (Which has a pair of PNY cards). I recently found out that the board maker for all the NVIDIA Video Card Boards is PNY.

edited December 1969

Yea, honestly, never had much luck with Asus. Probably will go with EVGA but wanted y'all's feedback! :-)

edited December 1969

3DWorld built a tower with mainly Asus components and I built a budget version of theirs, save for an AMD card instead of an Nvidia.

CHEERS!

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,058
    edited December 1969

namffuak said:
    R25S said:
    namffuak said:

You're missing one minor but key step. Plug the skydome image (jpg or whatever) into the environment map.

I did not recognice that this was missing (normaly it is set automatic, as far as I know).
    But in the first try, setting the map, doesn`t chance anything. Just after deleting the Emitter Shader the Sky is shown in the rendered Image but now it is really dark and not clear

I'm re-rendering now, just to make sure I'm not blowing smoke - I'll post the result and settings in about 20 minutes, when it finishes.

The illumination on this scene is from the skydome, with just a slight bit from the lamps around the deck.

The two sets of settings show what I have the skydome set to, and what I've changed in the environment. Very much a test - I haven't added a ground cover even. But I was targeting a late afternoon verging on twilight for the lighting. The only material changes were to the water, the glass on the lamps, and setting the lamps as emitters.

skydome-setting.jpg
    371 x 671 - 56K
    environment-setting.jpg
    350 x 746 - 59K
    Hot-tub-deck.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 104K
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,024
    edited December 1969

well.. no opinions on iray - (especially since my current build is Radeon based for graphics) save to say that I feel tying into specific hardware subsets will always only benefit a subset of users ... (IMHO - you are then at the mercy of a hardware vendor continuing to support those features) I never in all the years of mucking around with this stuff (heck my first computer didn't even have a screen (IMSAI Altair)) , have never had good luck with Nvidia, so I'm biased, too)
    The one thing I did find in the beta is that out of the box the dark on dark scheme/text size for the interface is really hard on the eyes especially with bifocals.. a bit more contrast between text and background would be appreciated in the stock out of the box install..

edited December 1969

Interesting. Thanks. So perhaps I should consider PNY then!

I appreciate your input and info! :-)

RAMWolff said:

EVGA
    MSI
    GIGABYTE
    PNY
    ZOTAC
    ASUS

I personally have used EVGA for all my recent builds, until my current work computer (Which has a pair of PNY cards). I recently found out that the board maker for all the NVIDIA Video Card Boards is PNY.

• DAZ_JonDAZ_Jon Posts: 582
    edited December 1969

A quick note for our customers, so you can't say we didn't let you know before most of you went out and bought a new video card, DAZ is working with some distributors to provide you the stellar deals, and unique value to DAZ customers, on NVIDIA cards directly. I can't go into any details, and if you see a great deal on a different website, by all means, go for it, but if you want to wait to see what we think will be a better value that we can bring you in the near future to help you on the hardware end, its in the pipeline that we're pushing hard finalize.

edited December 1969

OK. I'll hold off then. Hopefully they are truly good deals with the specs we all need. Thanks Jon!

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

I did play a bit with Iray today and as I use a Mac Book Pro with Radeon chip it had been CPU rendering solely. Still, quite impressed with how it functions so far and the speed is decent although I am getting shorter render times by using 3Delight - mostly thanks to render scripts as discussed in the 3Delight Lighting and Rendering thread. The set-up of a scene for Iray is quite easy (I am used to Luxrender via Luxus and 3Delight) and for many parts the automatic transformation of 3Delight-based shaders/settings works pretty good. Also appreciate how Iray is integrated, directly into the respective tabs in DAZ Studio and not e.g. via separate windows.

Anyway, I will hopefully be able to test more on the upcoming weekend, but I quite like what I am seeing so far :)

• BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:
    A quick note for our customers, so you can't say we didn't let you know before most of you went out and bought a new video card, DAZ is working with some distributors to provide you the stellar deals, and unique value to DAZ customers, on NVIDIA cards directly. I can't go into any details, and if you see a great deal on a different website, by all means, go for it, but if you want to wait to see what we think will be a better value that we can bring you in the near future to help you on the hardware end, its in the pipeline that we're pushing hard finalize.

I am hoping this is a deal that includes all countries, I would love a new card.

I have noticed that using Iray absolutely stops me being able to use the computer for anything else. 3Deight didn't do that. I am experimenting and enjoying what I see when I get it to work.

I am very excited about this new addition to DS.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:

I'm hoping you're also planning on putting a notice, or some sort of system checker for those that aren't aware of system requirements of the higher end cards (PCIe requirements, PSU, etc). I'd hate to see people spend their cash only for things to not work.

edited December 1969

Agreed! Good note!

Vaskania said:
    DAZ_Jon said:

I'm hoping you're also planning on putting a notice, or some sort of system checker for those that aren't aware of system requirements of the higher end cards (PCIe requirements, PSU, etc). I'd hate to see people spend their cash only for things to not work.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

My Little PNY? ;)
    edited December 1969

*spanks Simon* LOL

SimonJM said:
    RAMWolff said:

My Little PNY? ;)
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

DAZ_Jon said:

Hm, how long will it take until Nvidia takes over DAZ? Or has it already happened behind the scenes? :-)

• Zev0Zev0 Posts: 7,045
    edited December 1969

No takeover, just a partnership:)

• nr_millernr_miller Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

I did a real quick test animation, it's okay, took about 6 hours to render on a 970. Didn't play with too many settings. The interface is quite different than Reality/Octane.

https://vimeo.com/121867200

I'm not sold on it yet, but since Octane has been buggy as hell lately I'm excited to see where it goes past Beta.

• sexymacmansexymacman Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

some reason I cant render using my card on daz studio 4.8 beta using just the GPU, this is my specs on my card, shouldnt I be able to use iray on this? All I get is a black box when i hit render, unless i use cpu directly.

4a29bf89e3b98e56abf70c0635ab9d1f.png
    558 x 493 - 20K
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited March 2015

Greetings,
    @sexymacman - You need to scroll down a few more lines to see the 'Dedicated graphics memory' entry, I think?

nr_miller said:
    I did a real quick test animation, it's okay, took about 6 hours to render on a 970. Didn't play with too many settings. The interface is quite different than Reality/Octane.

https://vimeo.com/121867200

Wow, that's really cool!

♬♩If I Were A Rich Man ♩♬ ... ;)

Six hours for a physically accurate animation render, even as short as that, is...well, it would have been unthinkable not that long ago.

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • sexymacmansexymacman Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

OK here we go dedicated

0be2f77dbfdca29a9aa87e69cec80dbb.png
    565 x 524 - 21K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886
    edited December 1969

It's very gratifying.

10 years ago I finally gave up on cgi, because I just couldn't afford to keep up even as a hobbyist, with the cost of upgrades in software and hardware.

I'd spend more than I could afford, take a day to produce some small little something.
    And then oh hey, another few hundred for software. Oh hey my machine is poop.

Daz3d has allowed me to return to a creative outlet I have really really missed, and I can create such better renders.