Installing Daz Content into Poser 9

edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Hi Gang, I am new to the forum, but not Poser or Daz
I have been using the two of these for years without issue. I just upgraded to Poser 9 and I attempting to install my DAZ figures into Poser.
This is certainly much more complicated than the old days when the figure would just show up in the LIbrary.

I went to this page, I found the instructions to be complicated and not really that helpful.( I am using Windows 7 ,Lion , I've had problems with both OS's )

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/installingcontentintoposer/start

When given the option of an install folder to select, I directed the install to the main Poser 9 folder. It seems to have installed some DAZ components into the Library folder. I've tried adding just about anything and everything I could find that was DAZ related to the Poser Figure Library
and I get the same error message. "This is not a runtime file" Well I don't see a runtime file anywhere.

a more general question is what is going on? In my experience software upgrades are typically (maybe not always) more streamline when it comes to user interface. Is this DAZ or POSER? Is DAZ looking to move people towards DAZ Studio? or is Poser just not supporting DAZ content in it's newer versions? I am close to just uninstalling Poser 9 and going back to an older version. Too bad because 9 has some really nice upgrades, but if it means being limited to the Smith Micro figures, the hell with it!

help me!!!
Thanks
-Kamajian

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

You should point the installer to the folder that you chose as your content directory when installing Poser, or to an external content library if you prefer. That will be the folder that holds the folder called Runtime.

• edited December 1969

Hi Richard,
    Thanks for your reply, maybe I'm a bit slow, but I am still a little confused.
    When I installed Poser 9 it created it's own folder /Smith Micro/Poser_9

I directed the DAZ content (Victoria) to install to that Poser_9 Folder

was that incorrect? if so, where should I have installed it to? and once it is installed were do I find the correct folder when adding it to my Poser LIbrary from inside the Poser interface

Thanks again,
    Kamajian.

edited December 1969

Somewheer you will probably have a "Poser 9 Content" folder, if you accepted the defaults I think it will be in the SMith Micro folder in your Documents folder. That's where you should point the installers.

• edited December 1969

There is no "Poser Content" folder.

There is a "Smith Micro" folder inside that there is one folder named "Poser 9"
    inside the "Poser 9" folder there is "ReadMe's" Runtime" and "uninstall"

You'd think seeing "Runtime" would be cause for celebration , but unfortunately there is nothing in that folder that would be a clear choice

CG , figures, Geometries, heads, Libraries, plugins, poserHtml, prefs, Python, scripts textures, ui, Weblinks.

there is a "DAZpeople" folder in both Geometries and Libraries , clicking on them from inside the Poser interface yielded the same exact message.

-:: "That doesn't seem to be a runtime folder, choose a new runtime folder to add"::-

I have been using Poser and DAz figures since like 2001 , without any problems. I don't understand why it has become so complicated now.

thanks,
    -Kamajian

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Install to the folder CONTAINING the Runtime folder, not to any subfolder of Runtime.

• edited December 1969

I installed Victoria to the "Poser 9" folder the "Runtime" is contained in that folder. So if I understand your message correctly that is what I did.
    I opened Poser 9 and from inside the application I clicked on the little folder "add to library" icon with the "+" and running figure.
    I attempted to load the Victoria figure from a variety of folders and I kept getting the same error message.
    "not a runtime file"

if anyone has done this successfully I would sure appreciate step by step instructions on exactly where to direct the install (so far, if I am interpreting the instructions you guys have given me correctly , I am doing exactly what you have suggested )

and where to load the DAZ figures from within the Poser 9 interface.

Thanks for your patience,
    Kamajian

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You don't need to "Add to Library" -- after installation V4 will show up in Figures > DAZ People

• edited December 1969

YES! It used to in other versions of Poser, as I understand it, now you have to add it?
    I am using Poser 9!

if you read this from DAZ ;

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/artzone/pub/software/installingcontentintoposer/start

Adding the RUNTIME to your Library in Poser
    Starting with Poser 8 and higher, the default 'runtime' folder no longer automatically appears in your Library Panel. If you've installed content to show up in the runtime folder as shown above, you'll need to add the runtime folder to the Library Panel.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you can see why I am so confused. I installed the DAZ content (Victoria 4) to the "Poser 9" folder and it is definitely not
    showing up in Figures > DAZ People.

that is where I am used to seeing it. Please keep in mind I have been using DAZ content in Poser for 10 years! this is a new issue I am having.

Thanks,
    Kamajian

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

Windows 7 does not allow content to be written to the program files(86) folder. So Poser 9 installs the content library by default in c:\users\public\Public\Public Documents\Poser 9 Content. This is the location where you should install DAZ content. Then it will show up in Poser 9 automatically
    DAZ (and other ) content installed to the program files folder will be removed by Windows 7

Does this work?

• edited December 1969

Hi Wimvd!!

Finally someone who understands my pain!! ;)

that sounds like it could be a solution.

I'll try that out and let you know how it works out.

thank you so much
    Kam:-)

• edited December 1969

Actually before i do the trial and error thing. the default install path for Victoria is "Daz Studio", that's what comes up in the "install to" path window.
    I have been directing it to the "Poser 9" folder. with no sign of any Daz content when I open Poser.

Should I create the folder in the path you wrote and direct the install there???

if not where should I direct the install to?

thanks again,
    -Kam

edited December 1969

You should point the installer to your content directory - where is that?

• wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6wimvdb_dc63ee9ce6 Posts: 183
    edited December 1969

If you used the defaults Poser 9 proposed, the content library should exist and be in c:\users\public\Public\Public Documents\Poser 9 Content
    That is where you should install tol.
    If it is not there, you have not installed the defaults and the location where it is no depends on what you choose. And that is something I do not know.
    During the install you often get the choice between Poser and DAZ Studio. Choosing Poser can be a problem with old installers because it is looking for poser.exe - and that is on a location where you do NOT want to install the content. So you choose Studio and browse to the P9 content location and install there. The installers will remember that location and prompt you with the correct location the next time you run an new install

Reason why this is all so complicated is because when those install programs were made, there was only WIndows XP and at that time (until Poser 7) content was installed with the program. With the introduction of Vista and Windows 7 that is no longer possible (or very difficult). The new installers since that time will take care of that, but the old ones have not been updated. Unfortunately lots of V4 installers are still old ones,

I hope this clears up a bit why it is so complicated.

• edited December 1969

Has anyone perfected this content installation of Daz Content next to the Poser runtime?

edited December 1969

What's to perfect? Just isntall to the folder that holds the Runtime folder, selecting DAZ Studio as the target application if it wants to install to the application folder with Poser chosen.

• geoff_d5b50fd3bcgeoff_d5b50fd3bc Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Newer versions of Poser support multiple runtimes. I'm thinking you have not added runtimes to your library.. Hit the "+" button and browse to the folder containing the runtime file you wish to add. At least I think that's what you're experiencing trouble with. A screen shot would help.

• edited December 1969

I'm having this problem, as well. I figured out how to install SOME of my content, but not all of it. V4 installed to the public/documents/Poser9 Content folder, and she shows up in my library. Woohoo! But M4 will not. I get an error message that says "When used with Poser TM, "Michael 4 Base" must be installed to the same directory as the application executable, due to restrictions on support file locations. Please select the directory that contains your Poser executable." Okay, fine. No problem. I tried installing it to the Poser 9 directory, just as I used to do with Poser 8. No deal. Either way, he doesn't show up in my library. I'm starting to feel pretty stupid...

edited December 1969

Choose DAZ Studio as the target application to avoid the check for Poser.exe - which is left over from the days when the figure wouldn't work in external content libraries, which it will in Poser 9.

• edited December 1969

It worked! I installed M4, using DazStudio as the target application, and then choosing the Users-Public-Documents-Poser9 for the installation path. He's finally in my library! *cheers* So, that leaves me with one other question. How do I figure out which content items need to be installed using this method, and which ones need to be installed differently? Or is it going to be all trial and error? Poor M4 must be exhausted and having some kind of personality complex by now. I think I installed him 4 or 5 different ways to get this far. lol

Choose DAZ Studio as the target application to avoid the check for Poser.exe - which is left over from the days when the figure wouldn't work in external content libraries, which it will in Poser 9.
    edited December 1969

Choosing DS as the target should not cause a problem, but very few items will have that check - pretty much just the base figures that used ExP or perhaps Injection systems for morphs. Most content either has no dependencies or is dependent on other content (such as morphs for V4 and M4).

• PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    edited December 1969

If you do not use Daz Studio then , when you run the installer , point the path to your Poser 9 Content Folder.
    It should be in y our Documents Folder.

I only install the base Figures in to Poser like V4 with all her morphs, Michale 4 with all his Morphs , Miki4 ....

For each Figure I have created their own Runtime .

• Gusf1Gusf1 Posts: 252
    edited December 1969

With all the talk about Runtimes, I'll try posting this here. I just bought 2012. I had Poser 8 before, but didn't do much with it as I started out with Studio and understood that a lot better. My question is : How do I go about using the content I have with Studio and the content that came with 2012 at the same time. I need to set up the Runtime on a seperate drive because I'm installing an ssd for the Operating system drive and I cant have a lot of Data on it. Idealy, I would like to just have ONE Runtime on , say the E: drive , but I can compromise on that. I'ld like to use the same content in BOTH programs as each has its own strengths. I tried mapping the poser 8 runtime into Studio in the past, but with limited results.
    Thanks for any information,
    Gus

edited December 1969

In DS, selecting the folder that holds the Runtime folder for the Poser content as a Poser directory should give access to the Poser content; in Poser selecting the folder that holds the Runtime folder for the DS content as an external library should give access to the Poser-format content. Note that weight-mapped figures from Poser won't work in DS, and nor will figures using the capsule falloffs introduced in Poser 8.

• mcaseydesignmcaseydesign Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

Kamajian said:
    I installed Victoria to the "Poser 9" folder the "Runtime" is contained in that folder. So if I understand your message correctly that is what I did.
    I opened Poser 9 and from inside the application I clicked on the little folder "add to library" icon with the "+" and running figure.
    I attempted to load the Victoria figure from a variety of folders and I kept getting the same error message.
    "not a runtime file"

if anyone has done this successfully I would sure appreciate step by step instructions on exactly where to direct the install (so far, if I am interpreting the instructions you guys have given me correctly , I am doing exactly what you have suggested )

Kamajian

I have had these exact same problems and I have never received a solution! This is ridiculous and there better be a better solution that endlessly telling us CUSTOMERS to change folders and directories. IT DOESN'T WORK.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited December 1969

Kamajian said:
    "not a runtime file"

Kamajian

I have had these exact same problems and I have never received a solution! This is ridiculous and there better be a better solution that endlessly telling us CUSTOMERS to change folders and directories. IT DOESN'T WORK.

If you have the exact problem you quoted, see post # 9 in on page 1 of this thread, and the followups.

Also, using DAZ Install Manager eliminates the issue with not finding the Poser.exe, and it's faster to download and install too......

• Dreaming BansheeDreaming Banshee Posts: 2
    edited December 2013

The install manager won't let me install her into Poser, she is in DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro Beta so I guess they think I am supposed to buy V5 or V6 to use in Poser. The exe files no longer exist.

Post edited by Dreaming Banshee on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited December 1969

The install manager won't let me install her into Poser, she is in DAZ Studio 4.6 Pro Beta so I guess they think I am supposed to buy V5 or V6 to use in Poser. The exe files no longer exist.

To use in Genesis figures in Poser you need to install the Genesis and Genesis 2 Starter Essentials, which are included with the DSON Importer and can be downloaded from the DSON Importer page in your DAZ Account under Product Library. You need both the DSON Core and Poser Content files.

If you don't yet have DSON Importer, it's currently free...

http://www.daz3d.com/dson-importer-for-poser..

• Dreaming BansheeDreaming Banshee Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Thank you. I got the DSON Importer installed.