FBX export (to MAX 2012) > extremely heavy (unworkable) files

T.KickT.Kick Posts: 60

Hi,

When trying to import (into MAX2012) an exported .fbx-flie (from DAZ STUDIO 4 or 4.5), I run into major problems ....

I'm not sure if its the manner the bones are implemented or something else, but fact is that loading times and time it takes to process a command are extreme. ......

When exporting and importing as .obj, no problems.

When using biped on the mesh: no problems.

Anyone else experiencing the same problems?

Post edited by T.Kick on

Comments

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited August 2012

Try exporting as FBX and then importing into UltimateUnwrap3D to verify mesh & animation integrity and use its 3d tools to fix any issues with mesh or textures. DAZ Figures are very dense and typically quad poly mesh, but Tri or Ngon may be preferred by Max. Then save as fbx, or 3ds, .x , B3D, DAE or MS3D for animated or any of the zillions file type flavors. I also recommend first to decimate (DS Plug In, or ZBrush, or retopo) the mesh to a suitable density for Max and use texture Atlas in DS4.5 Pro to reduce polys and remap the texture before exporting into Max or middle ware like UUW3D.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • T.KickT.Kick Posts: 60
    edited December 1969

Will try that, but not sure if that's gonna fix it.

Mainly because the Mesh itself is fine. Mapping also.
    And I have similar rigs, or more dense, that operate just fine .....

It's when the bone-system is integrated, I run into trouble ...

edited August 2012

hm .. The Demo-version does not save files ...
    I do not mind paying for software, but have to be sure I can use it ......

Also tried the Collada-format: This looked promising: Fast Import.

but ... also an error: please see attachment; Bone-Structure integrity/ hierarchy is not OK

And weighting of the bones is all wrong ....

ALSO: When a figure is dressed with DAZ-originals I seem to have less problems ...
    When using alternative/ Poser content, its worse ....

error-coll-01.jpg
    763 x 708 - 125K
    Post edited by T.Kick on
    edited August 2012

OK I figgured it was getting mangled upon import due to complexity. From the image you posted it seems this error (Max Import I assume) like the bones are not assigned to the mesh groupings. This can happen if if the polygon GROUP names are modified upon export. Sometimes the unique model name may be appended to the group name by a rendering system too, however it usually would change the bone names. You are using the FBX export right, because other than collada its the only one that supprts animation. Well so does Poser CR2. Other export common formats will require a BHV export for rigging. If you go the BHV route, you also must bind polygroups to the BHV bone groups... I use milkshape or fragmosoft for this however I think its also a capability in Max or Maya.

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
    edited December 1969

I don't/ wouldn't rename anything within DAZ, I have no need for that.

You give me some options to fix things, but that is, you'd agree, of course is the 'task' of the DAZ Studio Software?
    And the .fbx/ collada-format in particular ....
    I know my way around in MAX, but wasn't planning on relinking, or any (at least not much) fixing, for that matter.

If I don't fool around with bones, names, etc. I'd expect to get some decent transfer of the object(s)?

And so far I'm not talking about transferring animations or morphs, just the bones and mesh skinned after import in MAX, would be fine to me ...

Thanks for the tips, so far.

edited December 1969

Ranger Dagget says: Problem solved!

After I uninstalled the DAZ Content Manager, life seems back to normal again ....

The Content Manager was eating up 50-60% of the processor power ..... and didn't leave much room for other activities ...

Strangest thing is that this piece of software does that, no matter if I work(ed) in DAZ or not .....

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

T-Kick said:
    Ranger Dagget says: Problem solved!

After I uninstalled the DAZ Content Manager, life seems back to normal again ....

The Content Manager was eating up 50-60% of the processor power ..... and didn't leave much room for other activities ...

Strangest thing is that this piece of software does that, no matter if I work(ed) in DAZ or not .....

Only time I've heard of that happening is when CMS is being blocked from checking on local ports for requests from DS or Carrara.

edited December 1969

Pardon, I was referring to mesh group names and did not mean file names. If a bone is not assigned to a polygon grouping, animation will fail with such error. You wont see this in a OBJ because they are static meshes w/o bones. Not certain what the CMS has to do with the initial problem.

edited December 1969

@fixmypcmike
    Might have been the case indeed ...
    Couldn't find another (fast) answer then removal .. .so ...
    The description of the program is as general as the name itself, so just trying without it, so far no troubles, or noticeable workflow problems ...
    If it just has to do with online 'stuff', I'm OK with (missing) that.

@Dream Cutter
    I suspect just a case of who gets first access to resources? or the CMS or the intensive 3D scene/ program?
    Just happy its all working ...

Things noticed while testing:
    - Genesis figure dressed with M4 clothing behaves very well, just some small adjustments needed.
    - M4 figure dressed with M4 clothing is quite ... bad ... Clothing isn't correct integrated in the bone-system.
    > for example: A knee-length coat did not have the leg-bones assigned to it, and those need to be added and weighted in MAX afterwards.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

CMS has nothing to do with online stuff, just with Smart Content and Categories. You may find that clothes don't "Fit to" automatically, so you have to take the extra step to fit to the character.

edited December 1969

Right ... haven't encountered that problem yet ...
    Thanks for the info.