Bryce 7 Pro - true 3D rendering [commercial] [on sale today]

2»

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,107
    edited December 1969

@gssev - glad to hear that it works and you haven't wasted time and money on it. I'm not sure how Carrara camera and optics work. Though I have Carrara from 3 up to 8.0, I've only experimented with IBL. Carrara and I don't get along very well because I'm too dumb to make it do what I want.

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

Looks like I need the spherical mapper aswell to get a full spherical image. I tried playing in carrara with the camera inside a sphere with refraction settings but no sucess in getting a simulated shift of the render for left and right, You use the bump map channel as well in Bryce but I can'y get anything similar in carrara?

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

gssev said:
    Looks like I need the spherical mapper aswell to get a full spherical image. I tried playing in carrara with the camera inside a sphere with refraction settings but no sucess in getting a simulated shift of the render for left and right, You use the bump map channel as well in Bryce but I can'y get anything similar in carrara?

This was tricky to set up and relies on being able to get a specific bump effect. This only works because bump is virtual geometry not real geometry. The geometry that it is simulating is not physically possible. Imagine that it is like a single Escher step on edge arranged around a cylinder, forever rising, but never getting anywhere. Or if you prefer an infinite number of infinitesimal steps. Same effect, but either way, no joins, just a perpetual shift. Someone sufficiently versed in Carrara may be able to match what has been done, it depends one how Carrara bump works, if Carrara has some equivalent optical properties to use and if an appropriate procedural function can be called upon to achieve this. That's a lot of ifs. Too many for me to confidently say it is possible.

If I had to start from scratch to recreate these lenses in Bryce, even with the knowledge of how they are done, I think it would still take several weeks of work to get them correctly calibrated. The settings are finely adjusted.

Yes, to get a full spherical image you would need a spherical mapper. Bryce's panoramic render is cylindrical not spherical.

• GSSEVGSSEV Posts: 32
    edited December 1969

I tried a lot of combinations in Carrara with no real success. I did get some lens effects but Carrara doesn't seem to change the normal the way Bryce does. I'll leave it for now , something might appear in the future. I had success with a rotating camera pair taking 240 thin strips each which I joined in stereophotomaker to get good spherical stereo pairs.
    So I have a solution for Carrara for still images thats quite easy, I can use Bryce for animation and stills now I have the spherical mapper and true 3d files,
    I bought a copy of Messiah studio when they did a promo with a very low cost and now have version 6pro after a similar upgrade and I just found it has a native stereoscopic panorama camera so now I'm spoiled for choice. So thanks for the help with Bryce and hopefully I'll have some nice 3d panoramas soon.

• CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

This is how I like to do a stereo image. It's like they used to do way back at the turn of the 20th century. I've used this method with a real camera, to duplicate the process of using a tripod to make stereo landscape images of Yellowstone and Dead Horse Canyon ... moving the camera over just a bit for the second shot.

Later a game called Halo came out. It had a mode called "theater", where you could replay games you participated in, to watch yourself fail or pwn. Halo gave full control of the camera, so you could watch the game from other points of view than the one you played in. It allowed you to take snapshots, or even short videos of the game play. I used that in the same method as with a real camera on a tripod to make stunning stereo images of explosions and such from my game play.

So I thought I'd give it a go using Bryce. Below is my first attempt. The specifics are, I created the scene, then changed the ratio of the document to square. I did an image export, then moved the camera over to the left 5BU, and did another render and export. I put the two images into Paint Shop Pro, putting the first image on the left, and the second one on the right. I added a thin, white bar to separate the two images to make the below viewing method easier.

To view this, look at the white bar at about where the highest mountain is. Cross your eyes, so the white bar becomes two white bars. Keep crossing your eyes until the two images become three images of about the same size. You'll notice the two mountains becoming one in the middle image. The 3D effect should pop out at you then in that middle image.

Unfortunately, this is very difficult for people with vastly different eyesight in their two eyes, and, of course, impossible for one-eyed people. My eyes are off from each other by almost two diopters, but I can still do it. Um, seeing the 3D effect is also something that the brain does, so people with slow brains or brain injuries have trouble, too. Please don't send me hate mail if you can't see the effect.

NewLand_Stereo.jpg
    1395 x 695 - 338K
    edited December 1969

@CTippetts - nice. I can't make it work, I'm probably a bit out of the habit. I have an apparatus for parallel viewing (I did a lot of stereo prints many years ago, also from Bryce renders) and this lens gives me some 3D effect but obviously, viewing parallel for cross eyed doesn't work correctly.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @CTippetts - nice. I can't make it work, I'm probably a bit out of the habit. I have an apparatus for parallel viewing (I did a lot of stereo prints many years ago, also from Bryce renders) and this lens gives me some 3D effect but obviously, viewing parallel for cross eyed doesn't work correctly.

I'm pretty sure, for you to use it in your "parallel viewing apparatus", (which were commercially produced as Stereo-Scopes, and were where my original inspiration came from years ago with a real camera), I need to swap the images, so that the image that was taken rightmost is on the right side of the image and the other accordingly. This one, for the "crossed-eye" method, has them swapped. I'll try to get that done for you, and post it here ... assuming you can print it in the right size for the apparatus.

I feel like this is the first, and I will be doing more in the future. Kinda' fun. In the future, I'll post both versions.

edited December 1969

CTippetts said:

I'm pretty sure, for you to use it in your "parallel viewing apparatus", ... , I need to swap the images... I'll try to get that done for you, and post it here ... assuming you can print it in the right size for the apparatus.

Try this one with your StereoScope.

(Up in the night with a BAD tooth ache.)

NewLand_ForStereoScope.jpg
    1395 x 695 - 338K
    edited December 1969

Yup, this works for me, thank you. I have a Loreo stereo camera I used a lot but without films, it's redundant now. The viewer is quite nice, I have to disassemble it to view stereo on screen.

• SoulThiefSoulThief Posts: 9
    edited March 2016

Deleted

Post edited by SoulThief on
  • Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited March 2015

Link above is automatically blocked by my computer due to "suspicious behavior."

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

SoulThief said:
    Hi :)

I don't usually post here because I am overwhelmed by the talent I see. That said, I absolutely love those tutorials David and got so much out of them.

Greg

http://www.greole.com

Welcome to this forum. Keep coming.

Link above is automatically blocked by my computer due to "suspicious behavior."

No problem, works fine for me.
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

SoulThief said:
    Hi :)

I don't usually post here because I am overwhelmed by the talent I see. That said, I absolutely love those tutorials David and got so much out of them.

Greg

http://www.greole.com

Link fine for me.

Hi Greg! Be sure to post your renders on the "Show us your Bryce renders thread" you will I am sure be welcomed.

Also, if you have not already done so, check out C-rams thread here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/54051/

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Link brings up a "safe site" green light on my site checker thingy

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Thanks. Must be the antivirus/malware app on my tablet. Will check it out on my home PC.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited March 2015

chohole said:

Thanks. Must be the antivirus/malware app on my tablet. Will check it out on my home PC.

Some AVs do tend to be paranoid, I keep my security level cranked up high, as I do sometimes need to check sites I would rather not visit, and I get security alerts often from ebay when there are additional full size images.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:

Some AVs do tend to be paranoid, I keep my security level cranked up high, as I do sometimes need to check sites I would rather not visit, and I get security alerts often from ebay when there are additional full size images.

I recently added this app, so i better check the settings because I believe you are correct.

• SoulThiefSoulThief Posts: 9
    edited March 2016

Deleted

Post edited by SoulThief on
    edited December 1969

@fencepost52 - I'm a cyberchondriac, and therefore keep extreme lock-downs in my firewall. I don't even trust Google, Youtube, or Amazon, due to their heavy tracking and persistent connections, (but I allow Youtube now and then, then lock it back out when I'm through). If they want demographic information, they can pay me for it ... not steal it from me. You better believe I purge my cookies, something like a cyber bulemic. Greole works for me, (except, of course, the Youtube links).

@SoulThief - Nice site. I love it when an artist not only shows us where they went, but the roads they took to get there. You even show the sights along the way, and a few side shops and cafes. Kudos.

• Steve-LSteve-L Posts: 7
    edited December 1969

CTippetts said:
    This is how I like to do a stereo image. It's like they used to do way back at the turn of the 20th century. I've used this method with a real camera, to duplicate the process of using a tripod to make stereo landscape images of Yellowstone and Dead Horse Canyon ... moving the camera over just a bit for the second shot.

Later a game called Halo came out. It had a mode called "theater", where you could replay games you participated in, to watch yourself fail or pwn. Halo gave full control of the camera, so you could watch the game from other points of view than the one you played in. It allowed you to take snapshots, or even short videos of the game play. I used that in the same method as with a real camera on a tripod to make stunning stereo images of explosions and such from my game play.

So I thought I'd give it a go using Bryce. Below is my first attempt. The specifics are, I created the scene, then changed the ratio of the document to square. I did an image export, then moved the camera over to the left 5BU, and did another render and export. I put the two images into Paint Shop Pro, putting the first image on the left, and the second one on the right. I added a thin, white bar to separate the two images to make the below viewing method easier.

To view this, look at the white bar at about where the highest mountain is. Cross your eyes, so the white bar becomes two white bars. Keep crossing your eyes until the two images become three images of about the same size. You'll notice the two mountains becoming one in the middle image. The 3D effect should pop out at you then in that middle image.

Unfortunately, this is very difficult for people with vastly different eyesight in their two eyes, and, of course, impossible for one-eyed people. My eyes are off from each other by almost two diopters, but I can still do it. Um, seeing the 3D effect is also something that the brain does, so people with slow brains or brain injuries have trouble, too. Please don't send me hate mail if you can't see the effect.

That is superb! I managed the cross eyed thing in a few seconds and it really works. I used to be able to do those 3d pics that were popular a few years back where the image was a single one but just lumps of coloured splodges that would resolve into something 3d if you stared at it long enough but this is the first time I've seen one using a similar eye technique but with real pictures. Excellent!