GET DAZ STUDIO 4.5! See why you should do it today!

Comments

• Virtual MediaVirtual Media Posts: 85
    edited December 1969

Could someone advise on procedure to get .fbx motionbuilder animation back into DS 4.5?

Thanks

Note you need to start in Motion Builder with an FBX export from DS. Then it should be simply export it back out of Motion Builder as FBX then import the FBX back into DS.

There are too many variables in rigging in FBX to generically cover all possible imports, so the only way to guarantee it would work is to round trip.

I tried that method (straight out and straight back) several times, adding some simple animation and some without any animation. Models do load back up in DS, however animation does not import. I baked the animation back to the DS bone structure as well.

Is it possible to get just the animation from the same model in this order?

1. Create model in DS
    2. FBX into Motionbuilder
    3. Animate then export or save animated FBX from Motionbuilder
    3. Import just animation from FBX into same model in DS.

That's the big hope!
    Thanks

• HaslorHaslor Posts: 402
    edited August 2012

about old .daz scene ,

I met so many duplicate ID erroer. I checked rog file.
    some erroer cause my reformed products,
    some erroer because of daz prodcuts eg mindvision miyu belts.dsf etc.

I can not confirm what cause duplicate ID erroer.

I can add a little insite to this:
    All of the scenes, I get the Duplicate ID error, have the Genesis figure in them.
    I have not seen the error in the ten or so scenes that only have Gen3/4 figures in them.
    Also my none of my own content has given me the error.
    almost daja-vu, of when 4.0 wsa released and Genesis was giving us the same type of errors.

Oh and one other annoying note:
    I am using something other than My Documents for the content placement, and I don't know if this is a bug, but even though I directed he content to go to the Second Drive, the installer placed it in My Documents/DAZ3D/.... when it shoudl have been D:/DAZ3D/...

Haslor

Post edited by Haslor on
  • ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Thanks DWG, *waves*, that may be it as I rolled back to Opera 11.x because 12.0 was crashing (actually the plug-in wrapper process). I saw it's up to 12.01 now but I'm waiting a bit more to upgrade.

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited August 2012

ArtistB3: that exact same problem happened to me many times in an earlier release and I never could figure out what the problem was. I ended up having to remake a lot of my scenes and characters, which is why I encourage everyone to save all of your characters' MATs, and MORs (morphs/character presets) as Character files (save as Depreciated -> Character Preset) so you can quickly remake anything that explodes like in your example.

No matter what you do, DO NOT OVERWRITE any of your DS 4.0 saved scenes with DS 4.5 ones!

Now before I panic anyone, I have had no problems so far with my 4.5 upgrade, and I have not experienced the exploding mesh in quite a while. :) Genesis loads in seconds in this new version and being able to hide entire groups of objects is a nice addition.

SnowSultan: In my view, it is not acceptable for any of us to have to re-build our scenes. If this problem existed in the RC releases and was not fixed prior to general release, this is simply another perfect example of the type of behavior that continues to drive the wedge deeper between DAZ and it's user community. Why DAZ cannot understand this is a deep mystery to many of us.

In any case, the following is what I have found:
    I had a victoria_5.daz file that I loaded (loaded fine) and then saved out to a .duf file. I also created victoria_5.duf file by clearing the scene, loading a fresh V5 and then saving out to a .duf file. In the case of the converted .daz file, of course, the figure is destroyed when reading the .duf version. In the case of the fresh V5, it loads fine.

I ran a diff on both and, after several hours of testing, narrowed the issue down to modifier "id" : "SkinBinding-1" (see attached). When I deleted this modifier, the duf-from-daz conversion loaded okay. Now we need someone with more experience to answer: 1. What is the root cause?, and 2. What is the longer-term fix that is not going to require us to hand-edit .duf files?

Seems to me, if DAZ is going to unilaterally decide to deprecate the .daz format before going to a 5.x release, they should at least have enough regard for their customer base to provide a batch conversion utility.

Resized.jpg
    1600 x 1000 - 204K
    Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Okay, I'm back with an update. It took redoing the DS4.5Pro Database but it now imports my DS3A categories properly. All files are now loading and listing in the proper places. I must have had a hic-up with the Genesis Essentials metadata or something. All is well and looking good.

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

@artistb3: Woooowwww awesome detective work!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

artistb3 said:

Seems to me, if DAZ is going to unilaterally decide to deprecate the .daz format before going to a 5.x release, they should at least have enough regard for their customer base to provide a batch conversion utility.

I couldn't agree with you more on this!

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    edited December 1969

provide a batch conversion utility.

Will the included one not do that?

DAZ Studio 4.5 includes a new pane that will batch compress/uncompress *.duf and *.dsf files. It will also batch convert *.ds, *.dsa to *.dsb or *.dse, and *.dsb (non-encrypted) to *.dsa or *.dse. The pane is found by going to Main Menu Bar > Window > Panes (Tabs) > Batch Convert.

edited December 1969

Hmm, interesting find Khory..... love some feedback on this folks. :-) Busy updating my Ubers Oms and PW's right now! :P

• TheNathanParableTheNathanParable Posts: 984
    edited December 1969

I have a question, sorry if it's already been answered.

Exactly how are we supposed to use Geometry Shell to blend the textures of geografted segments? Has anyone in the development team even tried doing this?

The geometry shell shares the exact same UV mapping as the base object, and this cannot be changed. That makes the Geometry Shell essentially useless when it comes to blending textures, the result would be no different than using the Layered Image Editor.

Say i'm using an M4 body texture and the M5 gens using an M5 gens texture. Could somebody who worked on this please tell me how the Geometry Shell is supposed to help me blend between these two, because as far as I can tell this isn't going to work.

Just gonna quote this again, seeing as it got lost in a river of posts.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited August 2012

I have both 32 and 64 bit versions of DS4 .37 on my 64 bit machine right now. Do 1st need to uninstall both versions of DS4, default content & content management service then install 4.5 64 bit??

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • edited December 1969

ok had 4.5 working sort of well minus the plugins I needed and now the darn thing will not allow my Smart content to work

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Noshoba said:
    ok had 4.5 working sort of well minus the plugins I needed and now the darn thing will not allow my Smart content to work

Is CMS running?

• edited December 1969

It should be never turned it off always been using default settings

edited December 1969

Noshoba said:
    It should be never turned it off always been using default settings

If you're not seeing Smart Content and the Content Library shows nothing under Categories, either the CMS isn't running or it's being blocked. Try starting the CMS service (Start > Programs > DAZ 3D > DAZ Content Management Service in Windows) and then restarting DS.

• edited December 1969

wondering if a reinstall might help as well thought that one I downloaded didn't look right

edited December 1969

Noshoba said:
    wondering if a reinstall might help as well thought that one I downloaded didn't look right

I would try restarting CMS before going through a whole reinstall. There are a number of reasons a service might fail to start or shut down, many of which are one-time events. Simply restarting the service may be all that's needed.

• edited December 1969

It worked odd that package only had 64 bit and the Genesis in it when a reset loads up a ton of plugins.

edited December 1969

Question... just testing out various things in 4.5 final Pro 64 bit. Is there a way to get things AUTO loaded into the Smart Content area?

I tried doing a "Scan of Known Directories" and made sure all the options were ticked off but it doesn't seem to be doing anything that I can see. I read one user was having issues with blank icons and what not and doing this seemed to solve this issue.

I mostly use the Content Manager so no big deal but wanted to know if I'm doing what ever I CAN do without loading each product in by hand... not doing that... not for as much content as I have... that's a waste of my time.

THANKS!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Question... just testing out various things in 4.5 final Pro 64 bit. Is there a way to get things AUTO loaded into the Smart Content area?

I tried doing a "Scan of Known Directories" and made sure all the options were ticked off but it doesn't seem to be doing anything that I can see. I read one user was having issues with blank icons and what not and doing this seemed to solve this issue.

I mostly use the Content Manager so no big deal but wanted to know if I'm doing what ever I CAN do without loading each product in by hand... not doing that... not for as much content as I have... that's a waste of my time.

THANKS!

Is the CMS running? Have you tried re-importing metadata?

edited December 1969

CMS always runs. Never turn that off. SO many other functions to making sure DS runs right are tied into that service. Reimporting Meta Data is installing over 100 5Mb files. Until DAZ gets the zips out no way will I do that. Again, too time consuming.

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    CMS always runs. Never turn that off. SO many other functions to making sure DS runs right are tied into that service. Reimporting Meta Data is installing over 100 5Mb files. Until DAZ gets the zips out no way will I do that. Again, too time consuming.

There are many things that can cause a service to stop or fail to start, most of which are sporadic glitches. If your Content Library tab shows nothing under Categories, the CMS service has stopped or is being blocked from communicating with DS.

You don't need to reinstall anything. If the CMS is running but nothing is showing in Smart Content, go to the Content Library options menu, "Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata".

• artistb3artistb3 Posts: 188
    edited December 1969

Khory said:

DAZ Studio 4.5 includes a new pane that will batch compress/uncompress *.duf and *.dsf files. It will also batch convert *.ds, *.dsa to *.dsb or *.dse, and *.dsb (non-encrypted) to *.dsa or *.dse. The pane is found by going to Main Menu Bar > Window > Panes (Tabs) > Batch Convert.

Khory: I did not notice the bit on the DAZ Batch Convert prior to my post. However, I see no indication that this will allow a batch conversion of .daz to .duf. Everything but that... We can only hope they included this capability somewhere else.

edited December 1969

artistb3 said:
    Khory said:

Khory: I did not notice the bit on the DAZ Batch Convert prior to my post. However, I see no indication that this will allow a batch conversion of .daz to .duf. Everything but that... We can only hope they included this capability somewhere else.

I wouldn't think batch-conversion of .daz to .duf is possible, as .duf contains info the .daz does not, e.g. the location of the Poser files to recreate the Data files.

• edited December 1969

I already have Mimic Live and other plugins... basically I have DAZ Studio 4 Pro and have all the plugins...do I have to PAY(re-Purchase) to Upgrade these plugins to 4.5 ? Can I use My exisiting Plugins and re-apply?

edited December 1969

sbasly said:
    I already have Mimic Live and other plugins... basically I have DAZ Studio 4 Pro and have all the plugins...do I have to PAY(re-Purchase) to Upgrade these plugins to 4.5 ? Can I use My exisiting Plugins and re-apply?

You don't have to repurchase, if they require an update just reset to get the new versions. There's a link in my sig to the plugin version thread.

• edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply...guess I'll give 4.5 a try.

edited August 2012

RAMWolff said:

There are many things that can cause a service to stop or fail to start, most of which are sporadic glitches. If your Content Library tab shows nothing under Categories, the CMS service has stopped or is being blocked from communicating with DS.

You don't need to reinstall anything. If the CMS is running but nothing is showing in Smart Content, go to the Content Library options menu, "Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata".

Content Service is running fine. So then what do I do to have it refresh?

CMS.jpg
    867 x 313 - 144K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
    edited December 1969

Content Library tab > options menu (the rectangle with horizontal lines icon in the upper corner) > Content DB Maintenance > Re-Import Metadata

• Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Geometry shell wont subdivide, it also doesn't respond to smoothing modifier settings . Anyone else tried it?

Post edited by Rayman29 on